All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. NORBowGirl

'Catch ride' and end for end gybing

And: it doesn't matter if you trip the mast end first or not. My guess is that they won't notice, so do what ever you like. It won't come flying off when you trip it from the mast, nothing to worry about! It loses power, remember that the wind is coming from behind so nothing is pushing it backwards. If that was a real thing, we would all trip from the kite first
  3. NORBowGirl

If they insist on using both sheets and braces, it will make it easier for you to gybe, cause then the new brace is loose and easy for you to find. When running just sheets, you are more dependent on a skilled pit person and trimmers, to time the whole operation smoothly and make the new sheet accessible to you. Also, you depend on the same gang to make it easy for you to attach the pole to the mast again. They might need to ease the sheet just enough for you to hook it, and that might be the opposite of what they feel like doing. We do this on our boat, and experience has told us that it's the sheet that needs to be eased - NOT the new brace. Make the trimmer ease for just a couple of seconds so the pressure is gone. Communication is key here. If it's very hard and difficult to attach it, you need to say that to them. Or just wait for a second when it's not hard. The most important thing is to keep the kite under pressure, and NOT to get the pole attached in a world record speed. You probably feel like the center of attention and that the success is on you - that's not the case. It's the trimmers that have to fly the kite. Look at the kite and let it fill up and don't stress. Hopefully they are experts and make it easy for you You will hopefully love it. The uphaul is probably attached under the forestay so you don't have to worry about where you put the pole, it doesn't interfere with other halyards and shit. So, remember: don't stress, let them know if you are struggling cause then it's THEY who must help you. Best of luck!
  4. Black Jack

San Francisco's Master Mariners Regatta - 2019

Great day of sailing. We may have lost an old spinnaker under the keel. We cleared it out and back into the turtle bag. Sailed wing on wing keeping up with the fleet but still trailing.
  5. Black Jack

San Francisco's Master Mariners Regatta - 2019

I have had some really good times sailing this regatta over the years. This one is special, my son now 19 has taken a shine to sailing the family boat. I could not happier that he served as budding a bowman. We all worked hard to get her ready. She hasn’t sailed in 18 months, her bottom was so dirty, the many pieces of jewelry scatter between storage, garage and boxes in forward lockers. The young bowman got into the water and did a proper cleaning! The Hooka came out after he was sufficiently tortured.
  6. Tunnel Rat

If they run sheets and braces then it is not important which end to trip first. I would stick with what the skipper and crew are used to doing, but ask for a practice gybe before the first start. Most boats that do an end to end only use sheets and then it becomes much more critical to get the end off the mast onto the old sheet (new guy) and then release from the old guy (new sheet) and muscle it onto the mast. My only comment would be that there is extra spaghetti using sheets and guys (which is not necessary) and may prevent the kite from flying if it is light winds. Enjoy yourself.
  7. Never was

Santa Cruz 70 - Fleet Roll Call

This is going way back, but as I recall, Dencho-built Saga was first N/M 68 built for three partners (one was Barry Berkus who had owned the Hollmann, Sunset Blvd. years before) for the 1983 Transpac. She was somehow(*) beaten by Nolan Bushnell's (Atari, Chuck E Cheese) Ron Holland design Charlie, Crewed by Skip (*) and Bone, et al before being quickly sold to Japan. 1985 Transpac saw the first three SC-70s: Factory boat Blondie, SoCal partner-owned Citius, Savings & Loan scandal dude from SD with Kathmandu, along with Geraghty built N/M 68 Swiftsure III for Frazee Bros. I think there was one more skinny N/M 68, but old age sucks as Longy concurs. Next year, Roy Disney hired John Heinemann of Hi tech boats to come West and build the first next-gen N/M sled. Massive quantities of Carbon, Nomex, and cocaine resulted in Pyewacket becoming the first of several flared topside, narrow waterline designs from N/M. Dencho built Cheval & Marishiten, Betts built Maverick out of alloy & Westerly built a 66 foot version with more sail called Pandemonium. Many stories there. Dencho also built Cheetah, a 66 foot Peterson design for the man himself, Dick Pennington. Meanwhile, carbon fiber began arriving at the chicken coop... These were great times, with some amazing characters, some of whom are no longer with us. Paul Fernald (Mauler) deserves kind mention for his contributions to the Pendragon, Blondie & Ragtime programs. Please fill in the gaps, and share stories about these amazing boats, and amazing people who owned and sailed them. Have any of you LB boys compiled the unabridged book of Pennington yet?
  8. Navig8tor

Tariffs: Donnie wants more.

This, with a twist of God complex. Have included the definition below, I love the entire definition, remind you of anyone ? It does appear that donnie does tick a lot of those boxes. Damn, I think we have a prognosis now we just have to come up with a treatment plan .....that does not involve the otherwise merciful use of a weapon. God complex From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia A god complex is an unshakable belief characterized by consistently inflated feelings of personal ability, privilege, or infallibility. A person with a god complex may refuse to admit the possibility of their error or failure, even in the face of irrefutable evidence, intractable problems or difficult or impossible tasks. The person is also highly dogmatic in their views, meaning the person speaks of their personal opinions as though they were unquestionably correct.[1] Someone with a god complex may exhibit no regard for the conventions and demands of society, and may request special consideration or privileges.[1]
  9. 3to1

Pro Trump Art

hehehe looks like sappy, quaint disingenuous propaganda for man-children and suckers. oh wait... fkn' reichwingers can't help it, it's biological.
  10. With the d10 we connect the Bluecap, GST43 and analogue Airmar transducers in through the same input circuit. All good. We've noticed the signet has a wider practical operating range for voltage and current, so in theory, it should work where ever an airmar works (I wouldn't assume the opposite). One thing, they all put out different frequency pulses. So an interface set-up for an Airmar (different Airmars put out different frequencies too) will read fast if you connect a signet to it. Nothing a single point calibration can't fix but worth being aware of.
  11. animeproblem

F1 2019 and E too

If I were going to pick one to attend, Monaco is it!
  12. I've been asked to do bow on an Inglis 38 for a fairly prestigious national Regatta in 2 weeks. I've not sailed on this boat before, and won't have an opportunity to do so beforehand - other than a short-ish delivery the night before! I won't deny...I am nervous! I've been doing bow (fairly competently, I hope?) on a Sydney 38 for almost 3 years, a caravan for about 18 months before that - but I have only EVER dip-pole gybed. I've read the process from a 2004 forum thread (thanks to the dudes who pointed out about the jib sheets over the shoulder! Noted) and I've watched as many videos as I can find (all of which were made in very civilised conditions). They ALL seem to say to trip the mast end FIRST - but to stand to windward of the pole if I want to keep my face in its current configuration. However, the Skipper has just told me that it's critical to trip the outboard end first - I don't want to appear completely clueless by asking (and I certainly don't want to argue with her or her team when I've never even done it before!!!) but can only assume it is because of the risk/strength needed to gal-handle it until the pressure is off it? I believe she said they run separate sheets and braces, too. Any other genuine tips 'n tricks would be appreciated, not just about the gybing, but preparing - this is my first 'catch ride' and I don't want them to regret it. Here's hoping you use your collective powers for good. :-)
  13. Ex-yachtie

Foil arm testing successful

Explain to me how it’s wrong.
  14. SloopJonB

Pro Trump Art

They ARE emetics.
  15. I should of said, outside of the US.
  16. Amati

Tariffs: Donnie wants more.

Trumphausen by Proxy?
  17. PIL66 - XL2

Ofcet in liquidation

They could just close down and pay no one to then re open up in asia and start again...... It worked for Seawind cats
  18. Today
  19. Snore

Autonomous Device Payroll Tax

If we were face to face I would have a visceral “urban” reaction. As we are not, I will simply state you are entitled to your opinion. So I guess you are okay with the replacement of minimum wage jobs by autonomous devices? That is how the thread was started. Then “some folks” took it to silly. The OP was about autonomous devices. I find it funny as hell that the liberals are least concerned about the loss of lower income jobs.
  20. jack_sparrow

Brexit, WTF

The EU elections have shown yet again that pre-polling is not reliable. That means the major parties are going to have to outlay serious money to secure more reliable data than robo calling nonsence etc for internal polling to guide big decision making. This running poll is an amalgam of 8 polls and even it got it wrong. Overstating both majors and to a lesser extent Brixit Party and understating Lib Dems and Greens by a significant number.
  21. Left Shift

Pro Trump Art

Melania Brand?
  22. slap

Show your boat not sailing

Last one until you buy the next one.
  23. slap

Galley equipment

My parents once gave me an apple slicer. It's faster, but you need to use it on a cutting board or large plate. A knife is simple to clean and does a better job (less wastage). So I got rid of the apple slicer.
  24. Big Bob

One Hit Wonders

25. ziper1221

Craigslist Finds

@Doug Halsey Thank you for the information. The first sail was possibly more frustrating than a foiler. Do you know of a classic moth forum? I don't want to derail this thread too much.
  26. jack_sparrow

Brexit, WTF

Has Corbyn learned nothing from May's departure? He is going down the same road of "denial" blaming Labour's poor result on "Tory failure" to deliver Brexit. "With the Conservatives disintegrating and unable to govern, and parliament deadlocked, this issue will have to go back to the people, whether through a general election or a public vote." He may need to start looking over his shoulder if he doesn't start recognising that to go a General Election Labour has two choices, be a Remain party OR a Leave party. A majority of their own constituencies, particularly in London (losing out to Lib Dem) and god forbid a right, right wing party, have voted saying the days of "fence sitting" are now well and truly gone.
  27. Winston29

1981 Harpoon 5.2 value?

I think I'm going to pass on this particular Harpoon. Too much work needed to get it up and going safely. By "safely" I just I mean with standing and running rigging in a known condition and recently upgraded. Now I have my eyes on a '92 Capri 14.2 in flawless condition for slightly less than the $2,900 asking price on the BWH. It's being sold by its original owner and was garaged its entire life. It's also local. I just need the seller to return my email. They never got back to me the last time I contacted them.
  1. Load more activity

Announcements