All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Miffy

No more "She" or "Her"????

In French I've heard either pronouns, Russians always use male. Ppl care too much to make a fuss about it being female, ppl care too much reacting all out of proportion because of one museum.
  3. Trump campaign won't commit to staying away from hacked material Source: NBC News WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign is refusing to publicly state that it will not use hacked materials to its advantage — in glaring contrast with the Democratic National Committee and a long list of the party's 2020 candidates who have pledged not to do so. The investigation into Russian election meddling by special counsel Robert Mueller found that the Russian government not only interfered in the 2016 race in "sweeping and systematic fashion," but it also made helping Trump win a priority. Mueller's report, made public last week, said that while investigators had found no criminal conspiracy between the campaign and the Russians, the Trump team expected to "benefit electorally from information stolen and released through Russian efforts." In February, the field of Democratic presidential hopefuls all declared they would not take advantage of illegally obtained information. Most of those campaigns (including Sens. Cory Booker of New Jersey; Bernie Sanders of Vermont; Kamala Harris of California; Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota; Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts; and former HUD Secretary Julián Castro) have confirmed to NBC News that their positions remain unchanged.
  4. Mismoyled Jiblet.

Paul Krugman - Republican Abdication

They don't care about large numbers. You confront them with the number of poorly paid cashiers in the US and they throw up their hands.
  5. SVArcturus

main sheet arch construction

I'm not an engineer, per se, but once upon a time I was a boatbuilder on the custom crew at Soverel, and later an oceanographer which requires a fair bit of engineering-ish effort. I think I can get by in that arena with a bit of struggle. I at least know the basics (stiffness being a cube function, etc.). I think I can handle the glasswork pretty well, having done plenty of "regular" laminations and a modest amount of vacuum bagging of cored structures. I was trying to envision worst-case loads and loading angles with boom fully forward, midships and strapped in, etc. Some of the Beneteau arches look a bit to square in aft profile to be a good design for strong diagonal support, but I'm sure they've done the math. My arch wouldn't be very wide (since the aft end of the cabin trunk is only about 6' wide, unlike those found on the newfangled wide-ass boats. Nor as tall as some I've seen, maybe 36" or so above the cabin. If the sides sloped inward in a way that would look reasonable attractive, the arch top would be only about 54" across. I can make something out of glass with those spans that should be able to support the loads I need, but I could use some help in figuring out the needed cross sections and laminate schedules (and alerts to those things I forgot to consider in a proper design). My first guess at construction was to use a Klege-cell core of an appropriate thickness and a glass skin. How much is enough, is the question. There is an interior bulkhead located where along the aft edge of where the arch would sit that should transfer loads well as long as I get the attachment right. I have mixed feelings about the pro and cons of incorporating the arch into the cabin trunk laminations versus making it a separate structure that bolts to a reinforced area. I may need to remove it for transport by trailer over the road. It's sitting in my backyard now, and I had to remove the stern arch for that reason to get it here. This would be a much lower structure however. The boat now looks like this:
  6. badlatitude

I wonder why Politico didn't mention this when they wrote that hit piece. Obama budget dedicates $14B to cybersecurity https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/2/obama-budget-dedicates-14b-to-cybersecurity/
  7. Ease the sheet.

No more "She" or "Her"????

What else should we expect from a country where the men wear skirts?
  8. Bus Driver

What folks like Moveable Ballast mean is "It's their own damn fault for being born into poverty".
  9. Snaggletooth

Random PicThread

They wearer up at Meade
  10. another 505 sailor

The reasoning works when one says an impoverished person should work harder to get a better job or move out of a ghetto. But it doesn't work when one tries to apply that resoning to an entire class. They can't all get better jobs, they can't all move out of a ghetto.
  11. Perhaps you will have to learn your lesson the expensive way. The Pailolo channel is a nasty nasty place where the breeze can pick up by 50 knots within minutes. Hawaii has its own localized weather system whereas the other places that you have named do not.
  12. Amati

4 / 24

Hang in there-
  13. Snaggletooth

NFL 2018

Youre enthusitasm is enffectiouse!
  14. CruiserJim

where is webb chiles?

Looks like Webb's got a favorable local wind condition, latest 6 hours shows nice progress to the NNW. He'd be pointing at about degrees true based on Windy info.
  15. Moonduster

Battery Monitor

Twice as strong, half as reliable.
  16. Sol Rosenberg

NFL 2018

Dolphins are going to set a new standard this year. You all think “ceiling” but I’m thinking “floor”, and to be more specific, “cellar floor.” I get that the draft is imminent, but I’m thinking more about next year’s draft. Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to lead the Phins to the promised land of the top pick.
  17. Innocent Bystander

No carb low carb diet

Watch the nuts. A few are fine but they have more carbs than you think. First 15-20 go fairly quickly and then it slows down. Biggest challenges are going out for a quick lunch and the random munchies. I cut out all weekday alcohol but normally have a scotch or two on the weekend. Yes, you get past the early feeling crappy. You will also discover a blood sugar rush and crash after lunch is a lot less common.
  18. Rasputin22

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

Watching your solar efforts with interest Kim. I'm working on a next design for a solar canal boat inspired cruiser that you may make the connection to another project that you recently saw. Seems that the flexible panels didn't give the sort of output expected on that project so now are going back to rigid panels and in my looking at the latest available panels I was surprised to see that there are now panels that if placed on standoffs above a white deck can actually generate additional amperage rom the back side of the panel! Would really work well if panels were hinged on the long edges and could pivot up to better face the sunlight and that would open up the backside to even more light.
  19. toecutter

Climate news

Yeah, but you know the source of that methane and the environment that created that source, right? And exactly what creatures currently live in hard frozen soil? You also know that in the last twelve thousand years the sea has never stopped rising, right? And have "they" factored in the aforementioned subsidence and/or tectonic plate movement and/or man made structures like dams (which lower river levels) effects of your local river prior to declaring "the time of skepticism is past"?
  20. Yesterday
  21. Shortforbob

Mercenaries

Yes yes,,but the point of the OP is what we actually can do with Australian Cits ...legally. We actually can't send them back to another country without 1) them having Citizenship rights in that country and/or 2) that country being willing to accept them. Sure we can charge and convict and imprison those fighting for proscribed orgs. But what about those in the link in the OP. Five Australians travelled to fight alongside Russian-backed nationalist militia in Ukraine, according to intelligence provided to the Australian Federal Police, raising concerns the group has been exposed to combat experience that could threaten Australia's national security. Key points: Five Australians are believed to have travelled to fight in the long-running conflict in Ukraine The war is increasingly being linked to far-right extremism The government is powerless to stop the men slipping back into Australian society But the Australian government is powerless to prosecute those who return from the conflict, despite the war increasingly being viewed as inspiring far-right extremists in the same way that fighting in Syria and Iraq influenced Islamic terrorists. Australian agencies face unprecedented scrutiny about the monitoring of far-right threats in the wake of the Christchurch massacre, amid growing international concern that an informal global network of white extremists is spurring on violence in the West.
  22. Sol Rosenberg

No carb low carb diet

I cut out all sugar, all bread, I cut out almost all alcohol, which for me was beer. I drink a ton of water. I still eat carbs but I get them from veggies. I order from one package food source for breakfast, veggies and some meats, and Butcher Box for meats. I walk 10k steps, three or four days a week, or I did until my back started acting up. I’m down about 75 pounds, with a long way to go. I cheat on weekends but in moderation. Not hard, just focus on eliminating sugar from your diet, mostly.
  23. jzk

Climate news

Take a look at the graphs above. At what other points on the graph do you think the permafrost melted?
  24. Snaggletooth

4 / 24

Kevin Wisheng you familey alle the beste and strength in helpeng her recoverey. Snaggs
  25. shaggybaxter

I am waiting for an apology from the libtards

I just don't understand what you want. Can't you see both of your concerns are entirely self made? You blame illegal immigration for destroying the middle class, and yet your agricultural and fishing sectors are screaming out for this 'illegal' labor that is clearly beneath the good ol whitey's position. Ever wondered what would happen if you doubled/tripled your legal immigration intake? Ever noticed how the most loyal citizens to a country are often the newest immigrants? Globalism was heartily embraced, promoted and abused by US manufacturers for the last few decades chasing higher profit by screwing the third world sweat shops to the point it became unsustainable. Don't try and classify your own greed with a nice generic term such as globalism without realising you're part of the root cause and not the victim. We're all fucking immigrants at some stage. If you continue to live in the past digging up past transgressions by the other side for self justification, regardless of which side you represent, you're the real problem. And all the while you're completely ignoring the current reality of the dismemberment of your society by who?? The good ol' white boys, not the illegal immigrants, or mysterious globalists. And this is happening on your watch. I really hope you don't have to justify this apathy to your kids one day by arguing that 'they' were worse in the past. When they'll be the first generation in 50 years that can't hold their head high as Americans, such is the contempt that this administration has shown to the rest of the world who have all got the same problems and are trying to find a more mature collective response You really wanna fix this? Try for just one month not to debate or bring up a prior administrations faults or transgressions. I bet you can't. But I hope you can.
  1. Load more activity

Announcements