All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. barfy

Larry's AC50 Circus

I would think your assertion passes the smell test. But how can that be ok? Not only an insincere cry on the tele, but a back door campaign to set etnz back which arguably was successful. Even the blackheart show didn't have an espionage attack.
  3. SVArcturus

main sheet arch construction

By the way Zonker. The Beneteau in the article you cited is exactly what I'm thinking. The pros and cons he listed are very nice info. Thanks. Maybe I just need to find a way to persuade Beneteau to tell me the dimensions and laminate schedule for the arches on their smaller boats! I'm thinking they may think that is proprietary...
  4. badlatitude

The GOP Are Russian Turncoats Every Single One of Them

Maybe we should learn Russian before our new masters take over.
  5. Who can forget this. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/10/james-comey-firing-trump-lavrov-putin-215124
  6. Ishmael

Dems Overreach and Trump calls their bluff

Nothing to see here. Hillary.
  7. eastern motors

TS42

Are the flat front windows functional in some way?
  8. onepointfivethumbs

ILCA gives LPE the boot... seeking new Laser builder

Misleading link, the Petticrows off the factory floor should be about 14000 USD, the owner of NBSailsports has a tendency to mark up prices since he's the only game in town (and I believe one of the only PSA dealers as well). New Pata should be about 17000 USD and a new Fantastica should be about 22000 USD depending on options. WIlke mast is about 6000 USD, Pata and HIT/Celidh/Whatever their name this week is runs about 5000 USD. The big difference is that a Finn mast exploding is pretty uncommon, and hulls tend to be competitive for at least a quad (or if you're Sir Ben and you take your 2003 and put it under the knife every couple of years) The Fantastica advantage is negated in light air and certain sea states, and hulls don't really fall apart that quickly-Jose Doreste won the 350-boat 2018 Masters in an...I want to say 2009 boat? Olympic-caliber guys usually have 2-3 boats and 3-6 masts to pick from, Giles had seven boats built with little differences in the layup locations and laminate schedule and only ended up using two of them. Granted the guy was Ainslie's sparring partner and has probably forgotten more than any of us will ever know about Finn sailing, but it isn't always a "buy once-cry once" scenario. The first couple of Fantastica runs had really horrible quality control issues after Devoti moved back to Poland from the Czech Republic, like the pintles not being on centerline and the hull to deck joint delaminating at the bow.
  9. The Russians should just get a room in the west wing. No need any longer for the pretense
  10. badlatitude

The GOP Are Russian Turncoats Every Single One of Them

Maybe lil Rocketman and Vladimir Putin are focusing on America.
  11. phillysailor

Dems Overreach and Trump calls their bluff

“You gotta do this. You gotta call Rod ...,” Trump told former White House Counsel Donald McGahn during a June 17, 2017, phone call in which he asked McGahn to remove Mueller due to conflicts of interest. “...It would also be a bad idea for the President because it looked as if my ambassadorial appointment was in some way a quid pro quo.” - former Deputy National Security Advisor K.T. McFarland, who refused a request to draft an email declaring that Trump had not directed Michael Flynn to discuss sanctions with the Russian ambassador. She documented the request in a memo, after she was asked to resign and offered a position instead as ambassador to Singapore. Mueller Report quotes (and some context notes from Rueters and The Financial Times) "On June 17, 2017, the President called McGahn at home and directed him to call the Acting Attorney General and say that the Special Counsel had conflicts of interest and must be removed. McGahn did not carry out the direction, however, deciding that he would resign rather than trigger what he regarded as a potential Saturday Night Massacre." “Call Rod, tell Rod that Mueller has conflicts and can’t be the Special Counsel,” Trump said during a second phone call that same day. “Mueller has to go. ... Call me back when you do it.” “If he doesn’t write a letter, then maybe I’ll have to get rid of him,” - Trump, telling Staff Secretary Rob Porter that he would fire White House Counsel McGahn if McGahn refused to craft a memo stating that Trump never directed him to fire Special Counsel Robert Mueller. Trump also called McGahn a “lying bastard,” according to Porter’s account. “I never said to fire Mueller. I never said ‘fire.’ This story doesn’t look good. You need to correct this. You’re the White House counsel.” - Trump, complaining to McGahn about a New York Times story revealing that Trump asked McGahn to fire Mueller. McGahn declined to do so, saying the story was accurate. "McGahn refused to recede from his recollections about events surrounding the President’s direction to have the Special Counsel removed, despite the President’s multiple demands that he do so."
  12. That's OK. Putin's focusing on lil' Rocketman now....
  13. Dead air

No more "She" or "Her"????

PITW - Pissing into the wind :\
  14. Miffy

In French I've heard either pronouns, Russians always use male. Ppl care too much to make a fuss about it being female, ppl care too much reacting all out of proportion because of one museum.
  15. Trump campaign won't commit to staying away from hacked material Source: NBC News WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign is refusing to publicly state that it will not use hacked materials to its advantage — in glaring contrast with the Democratic National Committee and a long list of the party's 2020 candidates who have pledged not to do so. The investigation into Russian election meddling by special counsel Robert Mueller found that the Russian government not only interfered in the 2016 race in "sweeping and systematic fashion," but it also made helping Trump win a priority. Mueller's report, made public last week, said that while investigators had found no criminal conspiracy between the campaign and the Russians, the Trump team expected to "benefit electorally from information stolen and released through Russian efforts." In February, the field of Democratic presidential hopefuls all declared they would not take advantage of illegally obtained information. Most of those campaigns (including Sens. Cory Booker of New Jersey; Bernie Sanders of Vermont; Kamala Harris of California; Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota; Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts; and former HUD Secretary Julián Castro) have confirmed to NBC News that their positions remain unchanged.
  16. Mismoyled Jiblet.

Paul Krugman - Republican Abdication

They don't care about large numbers. You confront them with the number of poorly paid cashiers in the US and they throw up their hands.
  17. SVArcturus

main sheet arch construction

I'm not an engineer, per se, but once upon a time I was a boatbuilder on the custom crew at Soverel, and later an oceanographer which requires a fair bit of engineering-ish effort. I think I can get by in that arena with a bit of struggle. I at least know the basics (stiffness being a cube function, etc.). I think I can handle the glasswork pretty well, having done plenty of "regular" laminations and a modest amount of vacuum bagging of cored structures. I was trying to envision worst-case loads and loading angles with boom fully forward, midships and strapped in, etc. Some of the Beneteau arches look a bit to square in aft profile to be a good design for strong diagonal support, but I'm sure they've done the math. My arch wouldn't be very wide (since the aft end of the cabin trunk is only about 6' wide, unlike those found on the newfangled wide-ass boats. Nor as tall as some I've seen, maybe 36" or so above the cabin. If the sides sloped inward in a way that would look reasonable attractive, the arch top would be only about 54" across. I can make something out of glass with those spans that should be able to support the loads I need, but I could use some help in figuring out the needed cross sections and laminate schedules (and alerts to those things I forgot to consider in a proper design). My first guess at construction was to use a Klege-cell core of an appropriate thickness and a glass skin. How much is enough, is the question. There is an interior bulkhead located where along the aft edge of where the arch would sit that should transfer loads well as long as I get the attachment right. I have mixed feelings about the pro and cons of incorporating the arch into the cabin trunk laminations versus making it a separate structure that bolts to a reinforced area. I may need to remove it for transport by trailer over the road. It's sitting in my backyard now, and I had to remove the stern arch for that reason to get it here. This would be a much lower structure however. The boat now looks like this. I'd point out that the mainsheet was removed and stored in this picture. The line off the end of the boom is just to keep the boom from swinging.
  18. badlatitude

I wonder why Politico didn't mention this when they wrote that hit piece. Obama budget dedicates $14B to cybersecurity https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/2/obama-budget-dedicates-14b-to-cybersecurity/
  19. Ease the sheet.

What else should we expect from a country where the men wear skirts?
  20. Bus Driver

What folks like Moveable Ballast mean is "It's their own damn fault for being born into poverty".
  21. Snaggletooth

Random PicThread

They wearer up at Meade
  22. another 505 sailor

The reasoning works when one says an impoverished person should work harder to get a better job or move out of a ghetto. But it doesn't work when one tries to apply that resoning to an entire class. They can't all get better jobs, they can't all move out of a ghetto.
  23. Perhaps you will have to learn your lesson the expensive way. The Pailolo channel is a nasty nasty place where the breeze can pick up by 50 knots within minutes. Hawaii has its own localized weather system whereas the other places that you have named do not.
  24. Amati

4 / 24

Hang in there-
  25. Snaggletooth

NFL 2018

Youre enthusitasm is enffectiouse!
  1. Load more activity

Announcements