All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. SVArcturus

Vintage autohelm (pre-ST) wind vane accessory

I have one for the tiller pilot version. I'll dig around for the manual if you still need it, but regarding your question of how it works, you just strap it to a stanchion (or whatever your like with clear airflow), plug it in, and rotate the head until it is headed into the wind and isn't trying to turn the boat (in other words, is "zeroed" in on the heading you want). Once you plug it into the control unit, the steering mechanism ignores the compass and feeds off the vane. If you want to tweak your course, just give it a twist. It will keep the same course relative to the wind. Works pretty well and saves all that annoying flogging as the wind cycles through the normal apparent wind shifts.. You do sail a somewhat oscillating course, but you're going faster VMG. It may be a bit weird, but I no longer use it because I have regular vane steering and I use the tiller pilot to drive the vane steering mechanism, replacing it's vane input. I use it when I need to maintain a compass course because of conditions that won't tolerate course variations from the vane steering. I don't attach it to the tiller because it requires MUCH less power to have it run the vane steering instead. Since i have a Cape Horn vane, the mechanisms and the tiller pilot unit are all locate below decks out of the weather (and out of the way).
  3. Shortforbob

Sri Lanka next on the Hit list

You see this is where reading shit by the right wing leads you. AFAIK, no on'e claimed responsibility yet News outlet Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported it had seen documents showing that Sri Lanka's police chief Pujuth Jayasundara issued an intelligence alert to top officers 10 days ago, warning that suicide bombers planned to hit "prominent churches". "A foreign intelligence agency has reported that the NTJ [National Thowheeth Jama'ath, a radical Muslim group in Sri Lanka] is planning to carry out suicide attacks targeting prominent churches as well as the Indian high commission in Colombo," the alert said, according to AFP. Mr Wickremesinghe said there was not an adequate response and there needed to be an inquiry into how the information was used. PHOTO: St Sebastian's Church was damaged in bomb blast in Negombo, north of Colombo. (AP: Chamila Karunarathne) 345 people are talking about this He also said the Government needed to look at the international links of a local militant group. He cited a foreign intelligence service as reporting that a little-known Islamist group was planning attacks. A Sri Lanka police spokesman said he was not aware of the intelligence report. Local Christian groups said they faced increasing intimidation from some extremist Buddhist monks in recent years. Last year, there were clashes between the majority Sinhalese Buddhist community and minority Muslims, with some hardline Buddhist groups accusing Muslims of forcing people to convert to Islam. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-22/sri-lanka-bombings:-officials-confirm-prior-knowledge/11034760
  4. Tornado-Cat

Team UK

I was impressed by the form, you are whining about it but I don't think you know much. As far as the content, if you posts were half interesting as TE I would read them more often.
  5. jack_sparrow

Brexit, WTF

Yep Northern England and Wales is where the Leave Campaign spent their (ill-gotten) money spinning fake news to great effect, despite the EU funding signs.
  6. Sean

Drip Drip Drip

This isn’t an administration, it’s a fucking cabal. Gets uglier every day. Even on holidays.
  7. Fakenews

Drip Drip Drip

Fake news
  8. Forourselves

How many challengers will there be?

"I disagree with Tienpont" lol lets see your resume next to his...
  9. animeproblem

Happy Easter

What is this Easter you speak of? Oh wait, isn't there some holiday or some such that coincides with SAKURA CON, is that the one you meant?
  10. Boink

Brisbane to Gladstone 2019

You have just captured the sentiments of CYCA (and Supermaxi owners) as to why they are resisting Multihull entries to S2H....... Yet, compare how sucessful the Fastnet Race has become (despite its acceptance of such boats) and tell me who is managing their premier event better?
  11. Cal20sailor

Drip Drip Drip

She plans to peak in 2050 so you hold out Gator.
  12. Roleur

2019 Southern Straits race

If it was luck, then they are having a lucky streak. At Patos they were the only boat to round Patos clockwise and made huge gains.
  13. It’s High Time to Slash the Price of the Class Laser Sails https://optimist-openbic-sailing.blogspot.com/2019/04/its-high-time-to-slash-price-of-class.html
  14. Fakenews

Drip Drip Drip

She is one of those women who gets better looking as she gets older.
  15. rgeek

Brexit, WTF

Because the fundamental conditions for Brexit do not exist. You acknowledged your self that, without fantasy tech, Brexit on English terms requires the break up of the Union. For every no dealer saying "drop this silly backstop nonsense and accept a hard border on the island of Ireland", there are 10 times or more internationally saying "stand by you international treaty commitments or suffer irreparable reputational damage". When it comes to the Belfast Agreement this is no longer a simple game of self-interest between the EU and UK. Once Major showed the will to find a resolution and Blair an active interest in peace the US basically saved Northern Ireland from a century of British neglect. Anywhere you go in NI any sign of recovery has a sign on it saying "built by EU finding" or "built by a US peace fund" or both. The same can be said for regional England and Wales. When the UK joined the ECC _France_ stepped in with major, what became known as Objective 1, funding. You can even make the case that the EU enabled Thatcherism by stepping in to save the parts of the country her "necessary transformation" beggared into being amongst the poorest in Europe. Regional status for EU Objective funding 2014-2020: ^^ take that map and overlay the leave vote then add the Army presence in Colchester and Navy in Portsmouth. Turkeys and Christmas
  16. Bull City

Show your boat not sailing

It must do wonders to the center of gravity.
  17. ASP

Pretty ideal race for those boats, medium to heavy upwind and then medium air downwind. Not too many tacks on the beat.
  18. Today
  19. Sail4beer

Show your boat not sailing

Boat is 11 1/2 tons. I’ll bet the mast was more like 40’.
  20. badlatitude

Drip Drip Drip

"It is only two sentences in a report of some 448 pages. As yet unnoticed, these lines provide the strongest new evidence uncovered by Robert Mueller’s investigators that President Donald Trump may have indeed obstructed justice. Two people directly involved in the case told me that several of the special counsel’s prosecutors privately considered this information to be a “smoking gun” suggesting that the president acted criminally. That section of the Mueller report—which also refers to former FBI Director James Comey, former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, then White House Counsel Don McGahn II, and the former Russian ambassador to the United States, Sergey Kislyak—reads as follows: By the time the President spoke to Comey about Flynn, DOJ officials had informed McGahn, who informed the President, that Flynn’s statements to senior White House officials about his contacts with Kislyak were not true and that Flynn had told the same version of events to the FBI. McGahn also informed the President that Flynn’s conduct could violate 18 USC §1001. [US Code Title 18 § 1001 is the federal statute that makes it a felony to lie to the FBI or other federal investigators, a crime that Flynn did indeed later plead guilty to.] The significance of this section is that Trump’s personal attorneys have always defended the president by arguing to the special counsel that Trump did not know that Flynn was under criminal investigation for lying to the FBI about his conversations with Kislyak. For nearly nine months, despite my own reporting for the Daily that contradicted their story, the Trump legal team’s version—that Trump did not understand Flynn was under investigation when he leaned on Comey—largely prevailed. That was until the Mueller report finally laid to rest this fiction.: https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2019/04/19/the-mueller-reports-smoking-gun-on-obstruction-of-justice/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NYR+Irrationality+kidnapping+Mueller&utm_content=NYR+Irrationality+kidnapping+Mueller+CID_028a279d68625f3de0ada6a55251a384&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_term=The+Mueller+Reports+Smoking+Gun&fbclid=IwAR1bPPl5ExIoquc7uX6LdFOXxBpapNqIn3UI9qDgFIIorQbz26aAHVAIxQ8
  21. CruiserJim

where is webb chiles?

Tacked onto starboard, heading offshore again. Fugly tacking angle, maybe current, a header, or bearing off a bit for comfort? Windy shows ~16 knots in the area, would be almost 20 apparent. Fun for an afternoon race around the buoys on a Moore, but a bit wet and tiring for 500 miles of Baja.
  22. dash34

The Dufour nailed the layline to Sisters from about 12 nm away. Impressive or just luck?
  23. Sol Rosenberg

Drip Drip Drip

24. lemonpepper

Learning to windsurf this weekend (Sanibel, FL)

You need to find a JP Funster or Starboard GO. Depending on your size you want +180 liter board. Even if there is no wind, start with a 5.0 or smaller sail. Anything more will just make you tired and you will have no fun. Take a lesson. No reason to think you can do all this yourself. Much more fun when you have some basics to work from. Use a daggerboard until you get the hang of it so you can go upwind and return to where you started. Nothing worse than walking your gear up the beach all day. Great sport. Have fun with it!
  25. phillysailor

His racist ideology is the same that inspired Dylan Roof to kill, that Aussie prick to kill, Robert Bowers, Anderson Breivik and all the other sick fucks like a Steven Miller who would persecute others based on skin color, ethnicity or creed. None of them are any worse or better than the Muslim clerics spreading their twisted brand of hate and violence. And dear old Joe? He supervised a tent prison that regularly forced prisoners, a racially select group of prisoners mind you, to 145° temps, and tolerated systematic prisoner abuse by guards. From an admittedly questionable site we get the following reporting, but the same info was printed by other outlets including The Atlantic and The New Phoenix Times: “From 1996 to 2015, the suicide rate among jail deaths in Sheriff Joe Arpaio's lockups was an astounding 24 percent, with 39 of the 157 hanging themselves. Furthermore, of the 157 deaths listed on the sheriff's watch on the M.E.'s chart, 34 simply are tagged as having been found dead with no explanation as to cause of death. More mysteriously, another 39 died in the county hospital without explanation. That's 73 deaths — nearly half of all deaths — that county authorities list as "who knows?" So yeah, Sherrif Joe’s racist reign of terror killed defenseless people.
  26. MangoCats

Muddy anchor chain cleaner?

Say you liked anchoring in a particular bay, except for the fact that the anchor chain comes up covered in noxious black goo. The goo sprays off pretty well with water, and a mild brushing completely cleans it, but if you don't do those steps, you get the stuff all over the foredeck and anything else that touches the anchor chain (hand pulled...) I suppose a windlass is one option - though the works would still get slimed and need cleaning. I've been thinking that I could T off of the raw water intake for the head and use something like a marine AC cooling water pump to deliver pressurized raw water to a hose in the chain locker that I could use to try to mitigate the onboarding of mud, plus a couple of brushes and it would save unpacking and repacking the shore water hose when we get back to the dock. Any other ideas/suggestions?
  27. badlatitude

Likely answer is that he was throwing water on Mueller. He doesn't get embarrassed.
  1. Load more activity

Announcements