All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. shaggy

Auto take down spool

So, what is the best spooling system u guys are using for a take down line? Dog leash, clothes line or ??? Its for the genny, My cheap retractable went overboard as it did not work. Thanks as always.
  3. JALhazmat

Foil arm testing successful

Based on extensive research and knowledge passed down from the carbon whisperers 7589.43kg. boats will be cleaned and dried, sailors weight corrected for fluid loss between races, without achieving that exact target weight it’s all going to be hopeless. TC don't you think it’s possible that an alteration to the finer orientation and composition could produce a stronger arm at the same weight? Then again you think the inner surface (red) is all under tension so probably not
  4. Waynemarlow

Brexit, WTF

Another keyboard pundit obviously not living in the U.K. Your sentiments may sound great whilst sitting behind your computer but do remember at street level ( yes Jack there is a world outside of your computer) the general public consider it’s not the general public who have fucked up but solely our mp’s and their advisors. Having been given the chance to exit from the EU, they voted, one side won and that side now considers they are being stuffed. Until Brexit occurs there will be no let off now What a pathetic pithy farewell from LeoV, the very man who has posted every bit of useless Twitter feed that he can find that denigrates anything to do with Brexit.
  5. rh2600

As suggested by others, it will need to be spelled out for you. A 4th option - which was that the foil arm has met design requirements will still achieving the same nominal weight - is still on the table, but you refused to include it. You also imply that it's essentially guaranteed the if the foil arm is heavier the boat now won't foil as easily - leaving that implication to mean whatever it may to those that wish to bag and troll and snipe. It's inaccurate, lazy, and unhelpful. Thanks for the laughable (and frankly pointless given we are in an AC thread, where basically everyone is a fan of the sport, none of us sail in AC), accusation that I must not sail because I don't agree with you - assuming you have/are sailed/sailing Tornados we probably have more in common sailing wise than you think... As for your final points: 1. There are only two fundamental reasons to consider the weight increase of the foil arm - firstly its effect on overall righting moment, and secondly its increase on overall mass (ie total boat weight) that is loaded into the opposing foil trying to lift the hull out of the water. We've already covered point one, so why do you think that just looking at the appendage weight in isolation is important beyond RM? That fact this mass is on an appendage makes no difference to the foil on the other side of the hull trying to lift it- its purely a lever (RM already covered) and mass. 2. See? Now you do want to talk about total boat mass. If it's a few extra KGs, on a boat that weighs almost 3 times what an AC50 weighs - a boat where the likes of JS decided to bulk themselves up for fun, and add a excercycle on the back for good measure - there are likely easy ways to address the change in mass. It's telling that there is already 30kgs of range allowed in the class rule, perhaps the 136kg of supplied media gear is ballasted too - so pray tell, then, what is the best weight for these boats? 7570kgs or 7600kgs?
  6. Today
  7. Chimp too

New imoca boats

Looks like JK brought his own design of chair with him! three pillows tied together with a belt
  8. Curious

New Olympic Dinghy Selection

With respect to Anderson, he appears to get some dates dramatically wrong in a way that distorts realities to make the Kiwis seem like supermen. Yes, the Kiwis did fantastic things; but Anderson managed to claim for example that the British did not have vangs until after the Kiwis did in about 1947 (IIRC) when in fact they can clearly be seen in pre-war pics of British boats in Uffa's pre-war books. He makes repeated claims that people from the northern hemisphere didn't like to hike, when in fact they had been using hiking planks and other devices before dinghy sailing became popular at all in NZ; and (IIRC) that the Kiwis invented planing when it was clearly described in other countries many years before. It's a good book but soured by this sort of jingoistic chest-beating. NZ's role in leading design is so secure that no one needs to exaggerate it. As Gantt noted, in the late '70s at least the Qs were allowed alloy wings and the Aussies were not. A few years earlier, around 1974, the R Class seem to have been the first in the world to trap off racks; another example of Kiwis leading the way.
  9. rgeek

Brexit, WTF

You're assuming Anti-EUism is a thing. For BoJo, in particular, it's a stepping stone. He'd never make it through the traditional path to power. You know boring stuff like actual delivering stuff at one of the big ministries. Farage is wanging it in from even further out, using Eurosceptic/English nationalism as the trojan horse. He's attempted this pivot before of course. After an, if the polls are right, equally resounding victory at the EU election he got absolutely trounced in the subsequent general election. Has there been sufficient corruption of the Tory party at council/activist level this time round to turn the party-shortly-to-be-formerly-known-as-the-Brexit-Party into a general election force who knows? The PSTBFKATPB is already so blatantly already a stalking horse for the interests of a small number of business owners it does make you wonder. I guess they have the advantage of never having been in power to actually shove it right up the disenfranchised quite as far as the GFC/Labour then Tory-Liberal alliance did. Who knows. May be Banks etc. will turn out to be the saviours of the marginalised.
  10. he b gb

D’oh, of course.
  11. Ex-yachtie

Because they keep the cup.
  12. he b gb

Agree all the teams are sharing the risk, but how do the Kiwis benefit?
  13. Horn Rock

Let Manliness prevail.
  14. Fiji Bitter

105+206 = Hot Pot

And don't forget the syringes for measuring really small amounts. Quick, clean and accurate.
  15. If you don't mind 2 holes separate speed and depth transducers are the way to go. We've moved to recommending the GST43 becasue it's easier to get hold of than the Signet. The DST800 is fine but compromised. For some reason, the signal rate of the n2k version seems particularly compromised (0.5Hz??) According to the manual, the DX900 is native 0183 for speed and temp but needs the n2k interface box for depth. We've not been in a hurry to integrate it because of that (would be nice though)
  16. ZeeZee

Is this the Figaro III?

Why have a trip line running on deck if you can just blow the tackline instead? You only need to make sure your tackline is long enough.
  17. Ex-yachtie

Everyone’s sharing the risk. If it all turns to shit and they don’t work, the kiwis actually benefit.
  18. he b gb

What’s that mean?
  19. I have a Raymarine ITC-5 and Raymarine i70s Display unit. It came with the Airmar DST800 transducer but my 1986 Cal 28 has Signet sensors. The Depth sensor displays just fine using the ITC-5 but not the old analog boat speed sensor. I just got a blue Signet Hall effect sensor that puts out a square wave at a frequency of about 10 hz/knot which could be calibrated in the i70s. But so far I only get it to read 0.0 when I spin the paddle. The problem, I gather, is that I need to convert the analog blue Signet sensor output to NMEA200 to imitate the DST800 but that's what I thought the ITC-5 was for! I've been reading older posts from WHK and Alex W and get the impression WHK figured this out, at least using Garmin devices (G43/GS10). But the Garmin GS10 manual says it doesn't work with Signet. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have 30 days to give up, send the blue Signet sensor back, and stick with the barely readable old Signet Smartpak display for boat speed.
  20. Horn Rock

Virtus Pollet.
  21. he b gb

Couldn’t agree more. I can’t recall any other sporting event where so much money is being spent on an unproven concept. I do hope it all works out but it sure one huge gamble the Kiwis are taking. Must admit that the prototypes are pretty awesome though!
  22. Alcatraz5768

Show your boat not sailing

Nice boat. One day I'll be able to come out and whip your arse. Just kidding I'm never finishing this ordeal.
  23. Alcatraz5768

Not at all saying we should. Big hard deadline on these beasts though.
  24. Ex-yachtie

If we limited ourselves to things that had base lines, we wouldn’t get very far, would we?
  25. Alcatraz5768

You have more stamina than me TC. I gave up on this argument ages ago. The weird thing to me is that there is no base line for these, they simply don't know if it will work, and if it will work in the area they will race, yet most are blindly following along that they will work perfectly, straight out of the box. I hope they do, but I expect them to have many hurdles to jump through before they perform as predicted. Time will tell.
  26. JulianB

New Olympic Dinghy Selection

I have Curry's book within easy reach! Some of what he did was inspirational. As was Marjchai! (I bet I have spelt that wrong, but I also meet him in Warsaw once, really nice guy). jB
  1. Load more activity

Announcements