This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. hobot

Random PicThread

3. hobot

Random PicThread

4. Panoramix

Brexit WTF, WTF

I dunno, never lived in the US but Breton friends who went there seem to think that you need twice the salary for it to be worthwhile. May be they were doing it wrong!
  5. Yesterday
  6. LeoV

Brexit WTF, WTF

So even before this new stuff they did not attract EU nurses. So not shooting htemselves more in the foot, just old style. What were the numbers from non EU countries ?
  7. BravoBravo

The Swamp drainage has begun

https://rightwingtribune.com/2019/12/12/rush-limbaugh-explains/?fbclid=IwAR0UfAVpwk7AB6fo2aq2DjYy9RBqPHDIuN6bTKEGk9BjJGjYvvmrBOAm_HI
  8. Snaggletooth

Tattoos, Smoking and "Class"

So, at best, they looke licke WP? Sadde, verrey.........
  9. jack_sparrow

Brexit WTF, WTF

Are you hoping "foraging for food" will improve your personality?
  10. martin.langhoff

Steve and Dave Clarks Unidentified Foiling Object

Experiments underway... https://photos.app.goo.gl/jP4D2eefNPRuceCb8
  11. Snaggletooth

Don't MoveTo Florida

12. Snaggletooth

Don't MoveTo Florida

The viewe frome Calli is fine.....................
  13. jack_sparrow

Brexit WTF, WTF

They started moving long ago anticipating this and there are no replacements anymore coming from across the channel. The Government's new health policy to make everyone feel better is founded on amputation. I wonder what the tariff rate on DIY Prosthetics will be?
  14. Point Break

Don't MoveTo Florida

No worries...........
  15. Point Break

Movies that messed you up as a kid

When I was a kid?...........nothing really. I can't think of any (of course we're talking the 50's) from when I was a kid. We didn't ever go to the movies though. I went to some when I was a teenager and old enough to go alone....but those were like 007 movies etc. So I guess.........none.
  16. BravoBravo

I have that in my B Movie collection
  17. Weyalan

Liferaft life cycle cost

I have spent over 20 years designing inflatable liferafts and marine evacuation systems. There are (commercial) vessels out there trading with liferafts that are 15 to 20 years old, or even older. However, on any boat that I own, I would never choose to risk the lives of loved ones, family and friends to a liferaft over 10 years old
  18. BravoBravo

The Enemy is China

They stole missile guidance under Clinton...I mean under the table Clinton https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/campfin/stories/rocket061298.htm
  19. Spoonie

Showtime capsize on return trip

No such structure exists. Everything has a failure mode. One of the practices in building resilient systems is to assume the element has failed and then assess the impacts across the rest of the system. All too often people try to guess why it might fail. If they can't, they assume the risk to be minimal. this can lead to solution designs that are inherently less resilient to failure than other options. Even experienced engineers are not immune to this and there are many famous examples (like the challenger disaster) where an assumed low risk proved to be vastly inaccurate. I know little or nothing about keel design, but back of the envelope, even a forged keel will have failure points. The bolts, the hull structure, the right angle flange at the top of the fin, thinner material mid span to the bulb. Lots of opportunity for failure, but perhaps more reserved capacity for failure in the system. There was also a presentation at the Institute of engineers (I think) a few years back. One of the big boat programs here put a load cell on their keel and I think were genuinely surprised by the extremes of the dynamic loadings. That led them to update their keel maintenance & inspection program but I think was still within design parameters. I seem to remember a paper on it, (maybe this one?) but I can't be arsed looking for it too hard. That paper above though suggests the loadings were as high as the "ultimate loading" they thought the keel would endure, but also that the nature of those loadings was pretty specific to each boats design. I guess that leads to one of the earlier assertions about guesstimating the loads. At any rate, I guess that's a long way of saying in any dynamic critical system, you're always better off assuming a component might fail, and acting accordingly than the opposite
  20. SloopJonB

Tattoos, Smoking and "Class"

The best and most colourful of those sleeve tats look like wallpaper patterns.
  21. Dorado

Don't MoveTo Florida

Not to worry. Everything will be just fine once the Love Bugs show up. Fucking palmetto bugs. I remember coming home with a pizza one evening in Miami and a fucking palmetto bug attacked me in the kitchen and tried to steal it.
  22. Jkdubz808

This has potential........
  23. BravoBravo

Don't MoveTo Florida

Lake O is a giant stagnant lake since it has been diked. The many drainage canals are also stagnant and choked with vegetation. A perfect example is the "new" I-75 Alligator Alley 30 years ago the canals on both sides dredged to make the road bed were bright limestone...can not even see the limestone now as it to is choked with vegetation ....and of course Big Real Estate and my once beautiful state will in another 50 years have every square foot built upon, as there are few natural barriers...flat land is easy to build upon
  24. KC375

Brexit WTF, WTF

And? In the US she would get: health care as part of employment; would get pension - not sure how would compare with UK pension; education at least up to through high school would be free and with a little care about school district as good as better than free education in UK; I lived in the UK for a few years, housing no cheaper in the south but yes northern england cheaper than San Fran but otherwise no not cheaper...at least not in my personal experience but I would probably have been shopping in different price bands
  25. lydia

Australian Sailing

You are funny!
  26. Mismoyled Jiblet.

The Enemy is China

I’ve a good guess Huawei has DOD funded research results, design & data given to them - without permission- by my boss at a former employer. This was under W, and mea culpa, although it was shitty tech so Caveat Fur. I see it as a bipartisan policy of not really caring that’s lasted until recently. unfortunately trumps approached it with a hammer destroying good and bad.
  27. TheUltimateSockPuppet

Australian Sailing

I'm sure that AS would have run all this past their lawyers first.
  1. Load more activity

Announcements