All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. RobbieB

Arm Fatigue

This. I switched from an 8mm rooster line to a 6mm line that has a spectra core and some kind of "fuzzy" cover. Between the cover and my $1 rubber coated gardening gloves my grip can last forever. The gloves are great on the carbon tiller extension as well.
  3. Gissie

boy is this girl in for a surprise..

And pictures, inane pictures. Where’s Randumb when you need him. He could fill both the missing parts in his sleep.
  4. Bull City

Anchor Advice Needed

Like APS.
  5. jack_sparrow

Brexit, WTF

Where did you come from Wayne?
  6. Waynemarlow

Brexit, WTF

OK so as almost all your reference data is gleaned from the Guardian, I lay a bet that you cannot stop using it as your go to source, what about using the Telegraph for a month just to get the other side of the story. Hey friend 15 is an expert on the Maldives having visited and written about over 2000 islands in that area, rang him up to see where you were and he came back, its close to an airport and that's about it. You need to get out side the tourist bubble and go find proper Maldive hospitality, but then I guess if it wasn't written about on the internet, that would be outside your comfort zone.
  7. Ajax

The blight of generators

Welllllll... it's not as easy as all that. Work is here, so here I sail. I don't and won't run a portable genset on my boat but for just 3 or 4 times a year, I do carry a small, residential window air-conditioning unit to run off of marina 110v power. I'm talking when the temperature is approaching 100F ambient, with 80-90% humidity with zero breeze flowing through the cabin. Even fans in the v-berth don't help in those conditions. I could probably survive it alone, but my wife finds it unpleasant and we just radiate body heat into each other in the close confines, making it worse. The a/c isn't anything like generator noise. My wife and I can have a normal conversation without raising our voices while sitting next to it. Not to mention, everyone else is running a/c while tied up at the marina so we're all insulated by our own white noise. On the hook, in an undeveloped anchorage? I would never run a generator. I'm self-aware enough to identify the difference between a wild, natural anchorage and a mooring ball next to a row of noisy, all-night pubs in Annapolis or a slip in a marina. It is this self-awareness and courtesy that is lacking. I hate racking up hours on my engine so I won't use it to charge the battery unless I'm in extremis. My new, 160 watt solar panel is doing a fantastic job of keeping up with my house loads, including refrigeration. I'm about to add another house battery which virtually ensure that I don't run my engine to charge the batteries. If I do have a run of poor weather that impacts my charging, I'll still last long enough to make it to a marina to plug the 110v charger in.
  8. JimC

Absolutely, positively Laser

Laser Radial perhaps? It certainly took sailors away from the full rig, but with an overall gain. I don't think you could categorise the Byte change as either success or failure. The Laser M was a definite failure. Seems to me that if PSJ want to introduce a new rig in their market then that's an interesting thing to see. I'm no fan of international competition in junior classes anyway. Too much too young. But the trouble with evaluating anything like this is that you never get to know what would have happened.
  9. Steam Flyer

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

Only dwarf navigators need apply.... What you all aren't seeing is the extending robotic arm that holds the chartplotter out & up, it responds to voice commands and holds at the exact height requested and also tilts it so there is no glare. The one on the other side fetches you a beer and/or coffee FB- Doug
  10. solosailor

boy is this girl in for a surprise..

I'm fine with America leading the way with population decline. To me it simple..... more people = more pollution potential. No, but it is AN answer. An ever expanding population is not a solution.
  11. Jason AUS

Sydney to Hobart 2019

10 rums???? Lightweight... The Talk It Up Cup entries don’t start until after the 12th or 13th rum.
  12. Steam Flyer

Show your boat not sailing

I love those boats. Hard to find. Friend / dock neighbor with a Hood Gulfstar 40. They are great boats, all-around. I love boats that can go in all the skinny water we have in the SouthEast US, and this is one of the best. FB- Doug
  13. jack_sparrow

Brexit, WTF

Where did you come from Wayne?? PS. Never founded my opinion off the Guardian or any media for that matter...there you go making shit up again Wayne.
  14. mad

Sydney to Hobart 2019

But at least you really feel like you’ve earned those 10 rums afterwards.
  15. Max Rockatansky

The blight of generators

It’s everywhere, including once-remote areas like the Ragged Islands and southern Bahamas. Blame the proliferation of electronic nav, and Bob ‘Just Go!’ Bitchin and his ‘anyone can go cruising’ ilk.
  16. mad

Brexit, WTF

I can’t be fucked getting into petty name calling or listening to him making up shit.
  17. solosailor

Fire Arrow Foil System Wins Big!

It's not bashing. When someone claims "Fire Arrow Foil System Wins Big" but the boats shown don't use a "Fire Arrow Foil System" so it didn't "Win Big" you don't think that deserves a bit of mocking on a site with Anarchy in the title?
  18. Navig8tor

Sydney to Hobart 2019

That and a strong sadomasochist tendency. After 5 days at sea getting the shit flogged out of you, some wit says" Oh, I see the wind has dropped from 55 knots to just on 50, shall we shake a reef out?"
  19. Shortforbob

Easy Rider DTS

watching it now..not as dated as I thought it would be. Sound track's awesome.
  20. d'ranger

Easy Rider DTS

This was a low budget film and hasn't stood the test of time as well as some have. It was huge at the time as nothing like it had been done before, from the depiction of drugs, the soundtrack of great rock and roll etc. I think most of us were pretty naive and straight laced in 1969, this was about the time when large numbers of guys were returning from Nam, the protests were happening and Woodstock was about to blow up the rock scene. So if never seen then crank up the way back machine and imagine you are 18, unjaded and not yet worldly.
  21. Curious

Absolutely, positively Laser

I'm not aware of any large SMOD dinghy class that has had a rig upgrade of this size, with success. I'm not actually aware of any actual evidence that such changes have the positive effect on fleet size that their fans predict. If there is such an effect, then those who are proposing the change should be able to show it to us, using some pretty solid and widespread evidence. If the fans for the change cannot show that sort of solid and widespread evidence, then why should we believe that their arguments are good ones?
  22. Max Rockatansky

Anchor Advice Needed

You want two anchors, is what I think. What you do not want is a lunch hook for overnighting. If you can’t do two picks, IMO you want a pick that holds in all weather, rather than doing that 0300 drag call. There is a saying: ‘anchor like it will blow 50, because sometimes it does.’
  23. QBF

Random PicThread

This one is actually me shooting skeet with a black powder shotgun.
  24. d'ranger

Joke

"Someone stole my antidepressants. Whoever they are, I hope they're happy" - Richard Stott "What's driving Brexit? From here it looks like it's probably the Duke of Edinburgh" - Milton Jones "A cowboy asked me if I could help him round up 18 cows. I said, 'Yes, of course. - That's 20 cows'" - Jake Lambert "A thesaurus is great. There's no other word for it" - Ross Smith "Sleep is my favourite thing in the world. It's the reason I get up in the morning" - Ross Smith "I accidentally booked myself onto an escapology course; I'm really struggling to get out of it" - Adele Cliff "After learning six hours of basic semaphore, I was flagging - Richard Pulsford "To be or not to be a horse rider, that is Equestrian" - Mark Simmons "I've got an Eton-themed advent calendar, where all the doors are opened for me by my dad's contacts" - Ivo Graham From https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-49389208 And the winner? Swedish comedian Olaf Falafel has won Dave's "Funniest Joke of The Fringe" award with the niche culinary pun. He took the title with the gag: "I keep randomly shouting out 'Broccoli' and 'Cauliflower' - I think I might have florets".
  25. Israel Hands

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

I had one of these babies in the late 80s. 1967...the last year and longest of the suicide-door Lincolns. That thing had the suspension of a queen-size mattress as it accelerated to speed.
  1. Load more activity

Announcements