All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. The Dark Knight

Australian Sailing

The rest.... 42 South Dufour 36 Wings 3 NS38 Jiyuu J88 Frontline Elan S4 Illusion Hanse 400E Ultimate Challenge Dubious 40 Whistler MBD 36 As good as it gets First 40.7 Midnight Rambler Sydney 36 Interesting comparison It looks to me that Wings 3 might be losing out in AMS I suspect that "As good as it gets" is also an AMS loser. Hard to compare the Mumm's as I'm not sure which are standard and which have been modded. The heavily modded M36 Corum has an IRC rating of 1.085 which looks to be about the same as those listed.
  3. Of course! It will achieve the primary goal of heeling more, with the ensuing water over the rail that looks so fast and fun!
  4. Crash

Best Anchor Drag Alarms

So while I was unable to find the "tongue in cheek" font when I originally posted that comment, the thread title is "Best" anchor watch alarm. And in fact, a competent and qualified watch stander, who is alert and awake, is the best anchor watch alarm. So the question really being posed is what combination of electronic tools and systems can best replicate the abilities of an actual watchstander in recognizing a potential problem and notifying the skipper/crew of that problem. I never really meant to imply that someone should be awake and on watch at all times and in all circumstances. The security of the anchorage, the weather, the ground tackle and holding all play a part in the decision as to "how" close to that real watchstander you need to come.
  5. Gouvernail

Ridgeline Over Cliff, Mini Cannon Blazing

Noooooo!!! Mitch is an American institution!!
  6. pointbreak805

Moving Traveler Aft

Hi all, I've been considering moving the traveler aft all summer and finally got around to tackling this. Reason for the switch is while driving, I'm not able to reach the mainsheet or traveler and in it's old location it would create constant jib sheet / spinnaker sheet clusterfucks - basically too much going on up there. I want the traveler back aft so whoever is driving can worry about the main and get those controls out of the way of everything else. Considering the cockpit seats are slightly curved I believe I'll have to construct some kind of beveled pad for the traveler to rest on - I bought a piece of G10 which I'm hoping will get the job done. My question is what's the best way to create a template / cut this stuff with the right curve to it if that makes sense?? Am I crazy for moving this? I can't really see any downsides other than the occasional bloody shin which I am fine with Pics at link below since I couldn't get them to upload: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHQBVDk Chris
  7. Olsonist

As long as the implosion isn't a mushroom cloud.
  8. fastyacht

Greta

9. Tornado-Cat

Team NZ

Yes, let's local people tell us what they observed, and I have a good time on your laser with no connection to SA or anything else !
  10. Shootist Jeff

Taste Test Tanya's Pussy

No. Yes.
  11. fastyacht

Greta

My son and I talked about just aht point yesterday. ABS, Traction Control, Vehicle Stability, Side Curtain Air Bags, Air Bags, etc etc. On the other hand half the modern car is made of plastic shit that weighs nothing. 1977 5 MPH bumpers probably weight 150 lbs. Now it is a block of styprofoamn and a steel bumper underneath weight what? 30 lbs? I think the volume is the problem. The amount of people and stuff we got to fit into Chevette/Rabbit/Mazda etc was remarkable. You see a Chevette today, it is about 60% the size of a new mini! (And not even teh "big" new mini!). we carried 4 adults in those cars, with bikes in the back (hatchbacks rule) or 4 sets of skis. When they went off the road in the snow we literally took each corner and bounced them up and down and nudged back on the road. Did that multiple times! We even moved a car in a parking lot to make a space that way! Try that on a modern overbloated car. I think the Camry weighs 3600 lbs or something.
  12. Sailbydate

Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 36

I think it would be likely ETNZ have discounted scow-like hulls. Here's my theory on why: Simulate two hull forms (actually, the numbers will likely have been much higher). If the simulation says Flipper performs best (based on the design assumptions) build flipper as boat 1. If the sailing testing proves the simulation, discard all other options and look to simulate incremental gains on Flipper. Build that version, as Boat 2. Now, if a Challenger comes up with 'a game changer', that you haven't tested..... Problem is getting enough data on competitors to reach that point. But what the fuck would I know?
  13. bridhb

The implosion would be fun to watch, as long as there isn't any collateral damage. Well, maybe it could take out Miller...and Mitch...and....
  14. Gissie

Greta

In the late 70’s cars were made as light and cheap as possible. Safety was not even on the horizon. Today’s engines are far more economical, they just have to cart piles of heavy safety shit around with them. So actual mpg doesn’t change much. What we could do is return to the old car with modern motor. Get way better efficiency and help with the population problem.
  15. Kiwing

Team NZ

Hey the genuine people here might add a guess too and we all know the exacerbaters so let's take no notice of them.. Thank you for your genuine guess, I am not used to guessing wind speed other than it is too much for me. I like to sun bath on the laser deck as I ghost a long passing some little outboard making a racket and a bow wave !!
  16. Bristol-Cruiser

Canadian election time

Interesting. I think a lot of people have been engaged by climate change, especially young people. Scheer's non-policy, climate change policy may come back to bite him in the butt.
  17. Gissie

Greta

I think they have all been fairly reasonable, thanks for noticing. As for shooting the messenger, I think most here feel similar to how I do. She is a bad one and is doing more bad than good. Doing something is a good idea, the problem starts with what. NZ is wanting to go the whole zero carbon shite quickly. According to Treasury this is okay if you are well off, not so much if you are in the bottom 20%. The poor get to take the brunt of the lost gdp. So should we destroy ourselves to make no more than a pimple on an elephants arse of difference, or should we aim to survive what may come. The settled science says we should actually be better off. Globally it is rather impossible. China will not lose its growth for anyone. The burgeoning middle class would find a way to kick the leaders out. Plus if the keep on keeping on and the West fucks itself over on the alter of climate change the are in the driving seat to be the biggest and baddest on the block. So a big complicated problem that lots of clever minds are trying to make billions out of. Oops, trying to solve. Fear mongering is not going to help.
  18. Bristol-Cruiser

Romney is setting himself up to the saviour of the GOP and the country when Trump finally implodes - which could be any time.
  19. DickDastardly

Black Jack, Nose Job Arse Lift

I think they roll them up in any case, no other way to get them around I suspect
  20. DickDastardly

Black Jack, Nose Job Arse Lift

Before and After Jib is the same area but J has grown a little, 180mm. Big difference is downwind sail area. 113610.pdf 120769.pdf
  21. fastyacht

Greta

Why are small 4 door cars getting 37 MPG? We got an honest 40 MPG in my old Mazda from the late 70s! And a Geo a few years later. They had carburateurs. So from a technical standpoint we haven't done shit even though we *could* do a LOT. Frankly I think the travesty is that humans are basically just stupid as a species even if we are smart individually. Not that I think there is something *good* that could be dome to change that. We evolved to this point. And every time some all-powerful type thinks it's a good idea to make a "better society" it ends badly. I separate that from the American experience because it was a committee with the extraordinary case where the logical king refused to be one (Washington).
  22. hobot

Show Us Your Workshop

Have you forgotten his house remodel? The wood work done in the foyer alone!
  23. terrafirma

Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 36

Yes possibly and interestingly I reckon the Ineos Video seemed processed as if to hide the boat in a clearer picture.
  24. Tornado-Cat

Team NZ

Hi Kiwing, I have to say it is very low. I know I should not take the risk to give figures but the water surface looked like between 4 to 6 kts which seems impossible, however the wind a few meters higher is for sure a few knots more, perhaps 6 to 9 in the gusts. The boat was probably less than 20. As it is a wild guess it lets the door open to the troll squad
  25. Bus Driver

Dropping Like Flies, Now There Are Just 2 Amigos

Is it “leaking” when President Trump says it into a microphone or in front of a camera?
  26. Bus Driver

Time to impeach?

Um, that’s what I am asking YOU.
  1. Load more activity

Announcements