All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. alphafb552

Team NYYC

Considering these things are supposed to be faster than the AC50's, I think code zeroes are pretty unlikely
  3. Repastinate Tom

Who really believes tariffs are good business

He is calling them taxes now, so there's that. Trump Announces Higher Tariffs. At Least He Called Them 'Taxes.' Offered with the usual apology for posting more Koch-$pon$ored Trump cheerleading.
  4. Albatros

Brexit, WTF

when the old farts who voted out have all died
  5. stumblingthunder

And another thing!

As a secondary spectator to the process, you get to be introduced every 10 seconds. Aint all that much fun after the first 10 years.... - Stumbling
  6. stumblingthunder

Mocking Ads on Craigslist

And the Hizenberg Compensator prevents degradation of the scan data during transport! - Stumbling
  7. RobG

Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 36

Is this some kind of shit stirring? Firstly a reference to a nearly 2 hour long Tom Ehman video with no indication of when in the clip he made the relevant statement (in the YouTube version it's at about 1:32:58), then an image of a story with no link and claims of delays due to various issues. I found a number of links to stories with the same or similar headline, all carried the following quote from Max Sirena (in English via Google Translate): "No mystery and no problem - explains Sirena - we are fully satisfied with the work we are doing. But we must keep the strategies in mind: we want to launch when we are sure that the next day, or at most within 48 hours, we can navigate. It doesn't seem right to give too many advantages. Launching is a special moment, like the birth of a child: we can't wait " Links: Cagliaripad, 22 August 2019, Tutosport, 22 August 2019, Napoli Magazine 23 August 2019, etc. No hint of any of the claimed issues, or maybe someone can post a link, image, video, whatever from a believable source?
  8. SCARECROW

New Hugo Boss Spotted

Probably using the same polars as the guys claiming these boats are faster than mod70s
  9. random

David Koch DTS

When one of these elites dies, it must be a shock to the rest of the crowd. He was mortal. Sadly, the time between middle age where the cash accumulation really kicks in, and death, is just a few decades. All the plotting, scheming and lying for a $, came to nothing. All that happened was that he directly contributed to fucking the planet, the planet that he does not need any more, the planet that he was not even on for all that long. People like he was are truly evil, selfish bastards for what? Just to die and leave the damage and his money behind.
  10. Repastinate Tom

Photography Is Not A Crime

Looks like part of his retirement plan will include facing murder charges. Houston Narcotics Cop Who Instigated a Deadly Drug Raid Is Charged With Murder I hope Ogg is not just... um... blowing smoke there.
  11. Democratic support for immigration has a complicated and fascinating history. Here's one version: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/magazine/the-democrats-have-an-immigration-problem.html "Today the Democratic Party is generally pro-immigration. And yet many of its elected officeholders remain deeply wary of saying so and especially conflicted about how to address the flaws in the country’s immigration system — or whether to address them at all. Their reasoning may be as simple as this: Unlike Republican voters, who routinely punish their politicians for being insufficiently anti-immigrant, Democratic voters do not reward theirs for being forthrightly pro-immigrant. “Fifteen years ago, we viewed the immigration-reform community as the redheaded stepchild of the Democratic coalition,” said Frank Sharry, the executive director of America’s Voice, an immigration advocacy group. “Unions were skeptical, if not opposed. Environmentalists were conflicted. And civil rights groups didn’t see us as central to their cause.” There are other reasons immigration has yet to reliably animate Democratic lawmakers. One of them was evident when I met Sharry in his office in a WeWork rental space in downtown Washington. Relative to other progressive special interests, the immigrant rights movement has traditionally been a pauper’s crusade, lacking in billionaire benefactors and financially outmatched by ideological rivals like the Center for Immigration Studies, the Federation of American Immigration Reform and NumbersUSA." -------------------- But there is another explanation for why immigration has long been relegated to the Democratic Party’s back burner. Until recently, Americans have tended to view immigration less as a moral issue and more in crass economic terms. “Though everyone says the system is broken, there’s also a nod-nod wink-wink belief that it is broke, so don’t fix it,” Appleby said. “The crops are being picked. The tables are being bused. The only wronged party are the undocumented immigrants with little political power, and no one’s ever been voted out of office because immigration reform failed to pass.” In 2006, the current and future Democratic Senate leaders, Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer, initially resisted a comprehensive reform package sponsored by McCain and Kennedy because, Frank Sharry says, “all they cared about was winning back the Senate, and they didn’t want to hand Bush a victory.” But when it failed in the House and was replaced by a bill to build several hundred miles of secure fencing along the border, both Democratic leaders voted for it — as did Hillary Clinton and Obama, both senators at the time. -------------------
  12. Repastinate Tom

David Koch DTS

Yes, that 1980, and Presidents and candidates from both halves of the Duopoly have been drug warriors ever since. I'm glad to see that the TeamD side has come around in this upcoming election cycle. Of course, it took decades and during that time it was necessary to have people around saying the drug war is stupid even though we knew it would mean we could not be elected. Good to see TeamD following the trail libertarians blazed. Yes, and Obama originally got elected on a platform agreeing with that guy,. Again, it was necessary to have people around who were willing to say it was wrong even though we knew it meant losing elections. On that issue it's also good to see TeamD following the trail libertarians blazed.
  13. rh3000

Larry's AC50 Circus

Curious mate a) you are wasting your time trying to use facts in a discussion with this idiot b) even this point is moot as there was at least one flight controller in AC35 Whenever smack has qualify his assertions with 'as far as I know' you needn't bother reading further given how openly ignorant and clueless he is of anything regarding competitive sailing - the examples too numerous and laughable to dignify.
  14. RobG

Larry's AC50 Circus

I have no idea why you thought it necessary to explain that to me. I was replying to a post by Stingray~ regarding the notion that AC75s might use opposing flaps on a single rudder.
  15. SEZED

DC Designs

I’ve been having problems with the seat retaining system, can someone help? current problem is on a new rules boat with a Steve Clark (US) seat. How to I retain the seat without the line jamming and where does the line go? On my other new rules the line attaches above the seat to a bridele and connects to the seat to a saddle on the flat back side of the wedge shape. In this configuration it ALWAYS jams on the carriage or gets caught unless you are very careful when tacking and throwing the seat across. On my Nethercott, the seat retainer connects through an eyelet on the underside of the wedge shape in the centre and this works with that carriage, but it won’t work easily with my carriage on the new rules boat with the SC symmetrical seat. There isn’t an6 clearance on this carriage, and the seat doesn’t have an eyelet in it or anywhere to attach to, I have been just ty8ng the line to the main sheet block saddle and a hole in the centre of the foot strap, but this is less than ideal and catches all the time, just like on the other boat... Is there a better way? And can you explain it it words here?
  16. popo

New Hugo Boss Spotted

Indeed. But they used to compromised a little bit to keep decent perf upwind. Apparently on Boss they just threw this point of sail away Simon says with the new foils they now closed the gap upwind with staight daggerboards, but he sounds waaaaay too optimistic in his interview
  17. Today
  18. Curious

Larry's AC50 Circus

Well, I won't go into the "redefining TV" because it seems you're talking about an app and not broadcast TV. But there seems to be no real grounds for the claim that SailGP is "redefining sailing". Yes, they are sailing fast by current standards. So were Formula 40s, Formula One multis, ORMA 60s, 18 Foot Skiffs, pro windsurfers and others. Did the earlier classes that did so "redefine sailing"? Was sailing different when Festival Macallan du Lorient was sailing by itself, and different as soon as the F40s had their first regatta? Was it "old style" sailing when VSD won the Route de Rhum with foil assist, and "new style sailing" when Paragon and Apricot launched the ORMA 60 tris? All the 50s are doing is what classes have done before. They are going faster, but that is not "redefining sailing". The claim " The short, near-shore tracks - combined with the above speed and 6+ equally matched boats, makes this racing unlike anything anyone has ever seen in sailboat racing" ignores the fact that the Ultimate Yacht Race did the same sort of thing in the '80s, as did the Formula 40s, Prosail 40s, 18 Foot Skiff Grand Prix, Extreme Sailing Series and others. Sure, the SailGP boats are faster, but that does not mean that are "unlike anything anyone has ever seen" - it's the latest version of the same old thing. The ESS boats were probably quicker than the F40s, but that did not redefine sailing. It is utterly wrong to say we'd never seen anything like an alleged 250k people watch sailing. The Route de Rhum claimed 800,000 visitors to the race village in 2014. In 2018 there was a claimed 248,000 people on the docks the Friday before the race, with 250,000 claimed on the Saturday. Total visitation was claimed to be 1.3 MILLION people. Independent media another report reported up to two million. Do the maths! RdR is far from the only event that claims big crowds. The kitesurfers claim an audience of 200 or 250k at Sylt - and they remain a minority amongst sailors. The windsurfers claim 200k at Sylt - and the professional windsurfer's association is scratching for funds and the sport has shrunk dramatically over the years. Claimed spectator numbers do not equal profits. Sure, there has never been a flight controller on a racing boat - so what? There was never a hydraulic panel operator in offshore boats until about 1978. There was never a blooper halyard operator until about 1971. Once upon a time there were no experts in fraculating, no experts in setting Code Zeroes, no experts in asymmetric trimming, no experts in keel canting, no experts in trimming squaretops on keelboats.... once upon a time being the guy who got the best trim out of the topsail was an entirely new skill on a racing yacht. There have always been new positions, new skills and new speeds. The fact that there is one more does not redefine the sport. What's the skill level between a 49er and GP50? The same sort of people are sailing each type, but they get less practise sailing the 50s. Same people doing less practise equals lower skill levels. Sure, it's a new skill - so what, lots of us learn lots of new skills. Tom was no doubt learning new skills when he got into Finn sailing and I'm fairly sure he said the same thing when he sailed Etchells. Sure, he likes the 50s but he's a good guy, a pro, and he likes lots of boats. The underlying idea that higher speeds require greater skills just doesn't add up. I've sailed (with some success) classes that have top racing speeds of 30-35 knots+, and do mid 40s sustained for 500 metres in speed trials. The overall skill level involved in sailing them is no higher than the overall skill level involved in sailing a Laser or J/24 in light airs, although the skills are different. After all, if higher speed required higher skills than in every class the high-wind downwind experts would also win in light winds, and we all know that's not the case. If higher speeds required higher skills then Tom, who came out of Lasers, would be a shitty sailor, and we know that's not true.
  19. Boink

New imoca boats

^^^^^^^ Thanks for that insightful commentary.........
  20. Repastinate Tom

The Future Of Money

Maybe they're still allowed to name a dink that is towed behind "LEGAL" so it's all good.
  21. Chimp too

New Hugo Boss Spotted

Pretty obvious really. IMOCA are always optimised for reaching and downwind, not close hauled. Been that way for the whole life of the class
  22. 3to1

David Koch DTS

kochK- you horrible, no good SOB, it's good to hear you kicked off. I hope Satan violates your asshole, your mouth and your eye sockets repeatedly for all of eternity, and you become one of his special prizes. and fk your kin, too.
  23. Happy

Buy Greenland

Would it be really tasteless to slip in an incest joke here?
  24. yl75

New Hugo Boss Spotted

Also VPLP interview about the new HB: https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/bateau/60-pieds/imoca/vendee-globe-l-architecte-nous-en-dit-plus-sur-l-etonnant-hugo-boss-d-alex-thomson-c7b7cfd2-ba8d-11e9-b364-7eda3d32e582 About the foils he is saying they are optimised for reaching and downwind, not close hauled. :
  25. JulianB

Absolutely, positively Laser

Just would like to comment on a few points that have been made and then bill4 has lead straight into the first one. #1 I have been going to China now for 25 years and more intensely in the last 9. 25 years ago, there was no sailing in China, or it was very rarefied and limited to sanctioned venues under state control. If you wanted to sail privately, you went to HK. Today there are sailing clubs everywhere, and when I say clubs, these eclipse anything you could think of in the western world. Maybe Arabia, but holy shit! It's nothing to go to a venue and see over 1,000 kids out on the water. I have been blown away. By far, Windsurfing is everywhere, and yes there are a lot of Toppers, un-believable number of Optimist, (most non kosher) and in the hi-end schools, it's very much part of the curriculum. It really dose not matter what the rest of the world thinks, what China thinks, Asia thinks and a Asian GM is worth so much more then a Olympic GM to them. #2 someone said something about square heads and mylars and its all been done for the last 30-40 years. The first serious attempt at a square head (in the modern sense) was Chris Carins making them for Tornado's in the mid 90's. Now I just need to qualify that. The Square head I am talking about uses bias "elongation" & using the 2 trigger battens to complement a stiffer than usual (pin head) mast. You did not see anyone else playing real "square head" until mid 2000's and people did not really understand them when we where doing it in 2008, and I know that because we where talking to the biggest lofts and they where as lost as anyone. Not that in any way and I saying that it was my fathers concept, because it absolutely was not, but his analytical mind, and the way he went about dissecting what was happening lay the ground work for what is happening today. And again that was 2008. (need to stress, windsurfer sails are a completely different concept, they do not do the same thing) #3 first time I use a "plastic sail" was Prime Mk2 (along with a asymmetric spinnaker) in 1982-3. It was so much better than a dacron at holding it shape and the need to "re-cut" it simply dis-appeared. By 1993 when I retired from 18teens, you would never think about using anything other than some variant of Mylar. Sure some "die-in-the-woods" skipper tried dacron jibs, but they where rarely in the top 10. And those Mylar sails had a life span of 3-4 years. The boats we build for Europe so Loony Tunes, Tanewha and Ovington where fully Mylar sails and those sails are still being used today, 20 years on. Those 18teen Mylar sails dramatically out lived the Dacron ones. And yes, full length battens have a lot to do with it! OK 1996 and the first 49er sails, where shit, and I really do mean shit! They de-laminated, and where good for 6 months max. But now, every Wednesday I sail a Farr 40, and last Wednesday we used a Med #1 that was register in 2008 and yes its showing sign of de-lamination. We had it up in 25-30knts gusting to 35-40 before we switched to a number 4, but it did not let go and we had a ball! 29er sails last for 10 years, sure competitively about 3 years appears max, I am aware of a world championship being won with a 3 year old main and a 1 year old jib, and it was a 230 boat fleet, so to even suggest it was not competitive is a complete joke. The material we have been using for the last 8 - 12 years, is DP, and I am yet to see it de-laminate, it tears it cracks but it dose not de-laminate. There is a very big 2nd hand market for both 29er and 49er sails, so much so that the sails used in the WY's on the 29er are gobbled up, almost immediately. Problem with the 49er is people seem to use them to death, A competitive 49er crews sails 4-5 days per week, and only has 4-6 weeks off a year, so they need training sails so they simply do not pass them down the line. On talking to some of the people at the top of the "tree" so to speak, they "break in" new sails, it takes about 7-10 days of use before they are "prime" and then with a bit of care those sail will remain competitive for multiple events. Again I am not going to specify what "X" is because that will open Pandora's box, but its more than 5 (events). And again, the mast lasts for 3-4 years continuous use. There was a German that used to go to events with 9 masts! Now, they have there favorite mast and some spares (as in a few parts, not complete masts). We used to sell 1,000 topmast per year, 1,000! We now sell 250-280 and that includes 200 new boats. You regularly see 3-4 year old sails being trained with. So to say that nothing has changed simply defies reality. The single biggest thing that has changed is the understanding of the square head as a sail shape control mechanism! From my POV, the coupling of the Downhaul and Outhaul together, which is only possible because we have got the geometry of the top batten length/angle and mast stiffness ratio's right which in turn opens up Vang as a twist control is seminal! It's new, I am sure someone else has done it before, but as a main stream idea it's very exciting! #4 Both Takao and I where there with Ian and Hans were bending the lower masts to try and get the Radial and 4.7 to work. All the doom-sayers where saying it will destroy the "std/7.1" class and will divide and will be the death of the Laser Class. With the benefit of hindsight, never could a more ill-conceived and more incorrect statement have ever been made. My understand is that the Radial and the 4.7 account for more than 75% of the current Laser sales. Talk about getting it wrong. A little like the vote! So the fat lady sang and she belted it out. They are moving on, if you know anyone in WS you would also be very well aware that matters have not been idle there either. But there is process and for people in this body to say they don't know only means they are not connected very well to those that matter. I have seen the minuets, but I don't have and don't want to have a copy because that way I can't be responsible for there "leaking". Given the gravity of the process, it's been surprisingly waterproof! In the next 2-3 weeks, exactly as per the Nov 2018 manifesto, the C5 will become available globally. Exactly as per script, it will be done under the auspicious of PSJ (and now PSA). Up Marine own the concept, the iP, but have a contract with PSJ WRT it introduction & use. I have little doubt that in Bermuda in November that "use" will be fleshed out. C8 at best is 9 months away but that assumes we drop everything else. But there seem to be no urgency! C6 is starting to be trialed at a greater arms length! But again there seem to be no urgency! C5 is where it's at! jB
  1. Load more activity

Announcements