All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Bull City

Galley equipment

We have a pair from Crate & Barrel. The salt grinder is clogged with salt - humudity may have something to do with it - and the pepper will not adjust to anything finer than coarse. The mechanisms have a lot of plastic. I'm thinking the Peugeot pair, and maybe these:
  3. Ajax

Galley equipment

I find that the humidity ruins salt, pepper and most other spices. Grinders and other dirt-bound containers do not keep the humidity out. I ended up putting salt, pepper and a "provincial blend" in replicas of vintage, US Navy mustard and pepper bottles, capping them off with corks. It's the only thing that kept the spices from caking up into unusable bricks. Even then, I had to put a few grains of rice in with the salt to absorb whatever moisture got into the bottle during use. https://www.eparks.com/product/44833/Clear-Pepper-Bottle/ Unfortunately, this means no fresh grinding and you have to shake a bit into the palm of your hand and spread it over your food the old way.
  4. Ease the sheet.

I still call Australia home

Just stop with the facts! How is a person supposed to be discredited if you are going to post facts?
  5. Fiji Bitter

The 2018 Golden Globe Race

Oh yes, Barry Prickthall's emails have been coming in alright, you must have been blacklisted or forgotten. Here is today's, in the online version: http://www.covarimail.com/view.lasso?id1=2226&id2=203055 With more barnacles.
  6. jack_sparrow

VOR AUCTION - OPPORTUNITIES LOST & STILL THERE?

I hear China has prevailed. @shanghaisailor will be a happy man. The interim stop(s) between Cape Town and China is still up in the air.
  7. Lamps

Lake Ontario Anarchy

Whatever you normally wear at home while your crazy friends do that race.
  8. Raked Aft\\

Game of Thrones

Here's possibly the best conclusion to this mess...
  9. Sailabout

Corsair F28 Mast Question

Just to be clear I am talking Corsairs not F boats as the poster said Corsair 28 Yes with all the gear, side cable supports, mast base gear and the jin pole. I would leave it at the dock mast up then just lower to clear the bridges and grind it back up. The further forward the mast hoist line the better the angle the less the load. You grind the spin tack line with bowlines as plywoodboy says I also add a safety line through the tack block and around the pole in case it explodes,
  10. Importunate Tom

Incest and Rape

You mean like this one? Or this one? This one maybe? Obviously, it's not a problem when someone who is TeamD/grabby brings up that topic. It's just a problem when I point out that self defense is a self ownership issue too.
  11. Importunate Tom

14th Most Dangerous Man In The World

Twitter Heeds Senator Menedez's Censorship Call Maybe. For whatever reason, I haven't been banned for this:
  12. BravoBravo

Niki Lauda DTS

Sad....
  13. Dog

Drip Drip Drip

You have not refuted shit. You can cry obstruction all you want but it won't make it true. There has been no charge, there has been no hearing from both sides. There is only a prosecutors report and that's not enough.
  14. just need to rename it the Torch and appoint new builders and life goes on
  15. jack_sparrow

New imoca boats

If they have fucked up then collectively the new builds and retros will be about to flush around €100 million down the toilet? Don't think so. Follow the money..it never lies.
  16. Importunate Tom

I may have found RBooze!

Texas Bans Revenue Light Cameras Oops. Red. Revenue. I knew it was an R word.
  17. hasher

I still call Australia home

Pennsylvania State University (PSU) commissioned two reviews related to the emails and his research, which reported in February and July 2010. They cleared Mann of misconduct, stating there was no substance to the allegations, but criticized him for sharing unpublished manuscripts with third parties.[44][45] The EPA gave detailed consideration to petitions with allegations against Mann from lobbyists including the Southeastern Legal Foundation, Peabody Energy, the Competitive Enterprise Institute, and the Ohio Coal Association: the EPA found their claims were not supported by the evidence.[42][46] At the request of Senator Jim Inhofe, who has called the science of man-made climate change a hoax, the Inspector General of the United States Department of Commerceinvestigated the emails in relation to NOAA, and concluded that there was no evidence of inappropriate manipulation of data.[43][47] The Office of the Inspector General (OIG) of the National Science Foundation also carried out a detailed investigation, which it closed on August 15, 2011. It agreed with the conclusions of the university inquiries, and exonerated Mann of charges of scientific misconduct.[43][48][49] Wikipedia
  18. mad

Incest and Rape

Only a few more posts until dogballs enters the discussion.
  19. For 230k I want the fifth reason I was promised
  20. Importunate Tom

Incest and Rape

One big difference in our biology is that men can generally beat up women. Prevening a woman from reacting to that situation by using a non-lethal tool to defend herself violates that sanctity of Her Body, Her Choice so is also rape. Right?
  21. Dog

Drip Drip Drip

It's on you then...Don't blame me for your shithole agenda.
  22. mad

Meanwhile, in the Republic of Gilead

Think you've stated your opinion publicly on this subject.
  23. B.J. Porter

Meanwhile, in the Republic of Gilead

I've asked you before but can't seem to get an answer, what do you mean by "kill"? Turning off life support for a baby that is not going to survive without machines or is it poison/strangulation/bashing its head in or any other means? He believes the stupid, hateful lies from the right about palliative care for newborns that are born alive but have no chance for survival. No one is swaddling a baby and deciding whether or not to kill it. Parents are dealing with the gut-wrenching, heartbreaking pain of a live birth of a baby that can not survive long after birth because it has such serious birth defects and/or trauma. So when you have say, an ancephalic birth - a baby born missing major portions of it's brain - parents and doctors have to make a legit decision NOT to provide life support. Because they can not keep a baby without a brain alive without permanent medical care. As much as posters like Saorsa and Bluewater seem to contraindicate that you can survive to adulthood without higher order brain function, there is a certain minimal amount of neural development you must have to function. That "baby" will never do so much as gain control of it's bowels, never mind have any sort of conscious brain function. And THESE lying assholes are making political hay of it by pretending it is something it is not. So when someone says something about parents "deciding to kill a baby after it is born" you can interpret that to mean the SPEAKER is a compassionless twat who is either pig-ignorant about medicine, or a complete fucking sociopath with no shred of human decency. Because this situation is agony for a parent. (emphasis added_
  24. Today
  25. Importunate Tom

Trail Cameras Again

Red shouldered hawk. There are several in the area so I see and hear them all the time.
  26. 11235

J109 tips and tricks

Had my J/109 for 12 years, sailed her 25K miles and did about 700 races with her. Won a lot of them. So... Yes, she wants to be flat to reduce leeway. First, if the rig was tuned for 8 knots then that is the biggest issue. We had a baseline setting for 10-14 knots, then would back it off 2, 1-1/2 and 1 turns on the uppers, mids and lowers for light breeze day (whole forecast under 8 knots) or up the same amount for big breeze day (whole forecast over 15). Regardless of rune, as the breeze comes up, the backstay goes on, traveller goes down, main gets sheeted in more, Cunningham gets snugged up (or main halyard goes up), jib car moves back, jib halyard goes up and job gets trimmed in. Once we are in the high teens, the traveler is likely all the way down, so we would go to Vang sheeting, with the vang flattening the main and the main sheet then effectively becoming the traveler. Making the main SUPER FLAT was key to depowering it in bigger breeze and keeping her from sliding sideways. Also, as the driver I would work aggressively to pre-feather in the puffs...just before they would hit I would come up a few degrees to get some extra "ups" and keep the puff from knocking us over on our side. This would allow us to work up on any boats to windward of us, and allow us to force them to tack away as we gained height on them. And yes, in the high teens I would say you should have ALL of your backstay on, well, all of it except for the last inch or so, which we would never put on. Keep shifting gears as the wind speed changes, working from the back of the boat forwards to depower, and the front of the boat to the back to power up. And enjoy the boat...she is a lot of fun to sail/race!!!
  1. Load more activity

Announcements