All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Saorsa

See it live!

Nope, it just shows that Canadians are more subservient.
  3. Fakenews

The Trump Presidency Is Over

And so it begins. Foreign leaders sensing Trump is toast are turning their backs to him. Merkel just turned down Trumps G7 invite. It’s a huge blow to Trump’s ego and his desire to be seen as leader of the free world. Bye Bye Trump. https://www.politico.eu/article/angela-merkel-rebuffs-donald-trump-invitation-to-g7-summit/
  4. Shortforbob

Twitterer In Chief

Jesus he gets more like Lord Farquaad every day. @realDonaldTrump · 19m Great job last night at the White House by the U.S. @SecretService . They were not only totally professional, but very cool. I was inside, watched every move, and couldn’t have felt more safe. They let the “protesters” scream & rant as much as they wanted, but whenever someone got too frisky or out of line, they would quickly come down on them, hard - didn’t know what hit them. The front line was replaced with fresh agents, like magic. Big crowd, professionally organized, but nobody came close to breaching the fence. If they had they would .have been greeted with the most vicious dogs, and most ominous weapons, I have ever seen. That’s when people would have been really badly hurt, at least. Many Secret Service agents just waiting for action. “We put the young ones on the front line, sir, they love it, and..good practice.” As you saw last night, they were very cool & very professional. Never let it get out of hand. Thank you! On the bad side, the D.C. Mayor, @MurielBowser , who is always looking for money & help, wouldn’t let the D.C. Police get involved. “Not their job.” Nice!.....
  5. kananumpua

Design Project - Seeking Input

Hey everyone, I’m taking a design course and have a project where I’m supposed to devise an innovative design concept to address customer needs and provide more value than existing products. I’ve decided to explore a space I know, offshore sailing, with people who know it best. It’s always amazed me that we still loose people both at sea and land (hikers, pilots, etc.) in this day and age with all the modern technology we have. I’m supposed to interview people in their environment but with pandemic concerns I’ll have to settle for online forums. Prompt: What type of gear do you wish you had that would make you feel safer offshore and more likely to be found, and faster, if something were to go wrong. By safer, I’m assuming you’re already doing everything you can to stay on the boat or keep it afloat. This can be within the current capabilities and limitations of products currently available or something using technology not yet available (ex think GPS during LORAN days). Response: Please provide years of experience or brief bio. (ex. 20 yr lake sailor, 2 x Vendee Globe competitor) I don’t want to put any pre-conceived notions in your head so feel free to provide any thoughts, input, or ramblings. Thanks in advance for your time.
  6. Remodel

Catalina 22: the Seagoing Corolla

I worked at a Catalina dealership a few years before your boat was built. Yes, I'm old... Be sure that your swing keel is locked down when lowered. There should be a locking bolt on the side of the well. Also, if you don't have positive locking latches on your cockpit lockers, get some. These have a tendency to fly open and flood in the case of a severe knockdown.
  7. Steam Flyer

Flynn exonerated, apologies from the left?

It's the RUSSIAN HOAX!! Up next, the CORONAVIRUS HOAX! - DSK
  8. Autonomous

Dinghy build: Two-Paw 8 nesting

Agree with this. Cut green epoxy, it's easy. Sanding has it's place but it is a last resort and IMO to be avoided on green epoxy. Once you use a cabinet scraper you won't be without one, guaranteed. I used a 14" farrier's rasp I had laying around to provide perfectly flat and straight lines on the stems of one project. Farrier rasp;
  9. olaf hart

Australian Sailing

Thanks, the go to excuse down here for racing issues is always we have to do it that way, it’s all about insurance...
  10. badlatitude

Flynn exonerated, apologies from the left?

It sure looks like he was guilty as hell, and the Russia collusion was real Drip Drip Drip.
  11. Steam Flyer

Dinghy build: Two-Paw 8 nesting

What I mean by a cover sheet is what some people have called "the wax paper trick." Except I don't use wax paper, I use plastic sheet that Lowe's sells as cheap painter's drop cloth. Cut a piece slightly bigger than the lay-up area. Do the lay-up, wt out the cloth, an added frill I do is mix some low density filler and smooth over the cloth surface and especially the selvedge edge of the FG cloth tape. Then lay the cover sheet on. It's like vacuum bagging without the vacuum. One really nice thing is, if keep it clean, you can now take your gloves off and work on the surface with your fingers. It's both more satisfying, like mud pies, and you can also work it much more accurately (precision mud pies!). You can see the bubbles and work them all out, and the cover sheet keeps the lay-up from sucking air back into itself. I often use blue tape along one edge when I've got it down tight, and work toward the other edge. You can squeeze out excess resin for a really tight lay-up, no bubble, no unbonded strands waiting to stab you. The best thing is when it's cured and you peel it, that bumpy potentially peel-y edge is bonded super-tight and so smooth it's almost imperceptible. And the surface is smooth so you do MUCH less sanding. The next improvement, if you're going to be bonding more pieces to the surface, is peel ply. Then you don't have to sand at all. FB- Doug
  12. Mismoyled Jiblet.

“I can’t breathe” Part 2

Jizzkid bullshits real good. Nothing like unconfirmable, unattributed images, to make the prageru commiedicksucking shitposting morons point.
  13. Only if you consider his other speech that they allow is an in-kind contribution.
  14. I used to do that with the Sears Wishbook.... If you raced One Design, APS was turnkey.
  15. Stanno

Australian Sailing

Hi Olaf - as the President of a Sydney Sailing Club and insurance lawyer I can say that AS does not control our insurances. There is an AS Personal Accident Scheme that covers members / sail pass members that offers some "benefits" in the event of an accident, and a liability scheme for accredited instructors and coaches but our club, like others, has its own liability, property, voluntary workers, workers' compensation etc insurances .... We are a Discover Sailing Centre and take the risk management services that provides to heart - in fact its one of the really valuable things that AS provides each year - for volunteer administrators it is pretty good, but we also march to our own beat on risk transfer....
  16. alphafb552

I hate Yacht brokers

Might have just been attempting to create some sort of social media traffic to put pressure on the broker and/or original seller to put pressure on them. Might not be happy with our replies...
  17. bgytr

Batteries

Hey if the extra expense is worth it to you, have at it. For me I'm willing to exchange a few minutes periodically to check the batteries and spend $1000 on other stuff. To each his own.
  18. A sailing rig, does not get much simpler than a tacking outrigger or tacking proa, as White called his Dragonfly design.
  19. They are "kewl!" But for most cluttered scenes, a shunter is a bit impractical. Outriggers are simple and permit easier/quicker/shorter tacks. IMO.
  20. Willin'

East Coast yards for winter haul out?

My brother had a major refit on his large Perini there and was very pleased. A little off the beaten track, but that can be a good thing.
  21. When Twitter fact-checks a Trump Twit, is that an in-kind corporate contribution in a federal election?
  22. accnick

Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 36

Brin did some work on my previous boat when she was hauled out at Gulf Harbour for a bit of a refit back in 2000. First class operation.
  23. AKA Proa, look it up! Or does @ProaSailor care to jump in and explain?
  24. jzk

“I can’t breathe” Part 2

It seems there are lots of rednecks in Minneapolis.
  25. Bristol-Cruiser

Today’s Trump Deaths

Two things come to mind. One is that the data is 18 days old and that matters with this disease. The other, much worse, is that you think COVID is not that bad because it kills more lefties than righties. You are a pathetic excuse for an American ... and a human being.
  26. Cal20sailor

Twitterer In Chief

I hope, as you probably do, that you are wrong.
  1. Load more activity

Announcements