All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. MultiThom

SeaRail 19 Year 2 VLog

I know this is supposed to be a vlog, but no video today. An aborted sail--basically shit happened. Spinnaker began unfurling on its own (despite having the furling line cleated); then after managing to get that down, while on the way down it unclipped the shackle from the jib; so that's flogging all over the place even after I furled what I could (I'm going to swap out the snap shackle for a soft shackle, I think)....decided better go back to the barn and the 2:1 halyard fails to run freely (hockles and won't go through the spinlock)...got it part way down anyway. So I half sail/half motor back to the marina with all sorts of flogging sails. Find a sheltered spot to park (btw, parking a trimaran with sails up while alone on the boat is a "fun" experience). Managed to cleat to the dock only to see this 56 foot motoryacht honking at me that I'm in his spot! I holler that I need 10 minutes to get everything squared away. So I did it in 8. "Learned a lot"--which is a euphemism for shit happened. BTW, the 56 footer had a 80 foot side tie next to where I was that he was unable to tie to in the 8 minutes that I was in his spot--and he had bow thrusters.
  3. Mismoyled Jiblet.

Paul Krugman - Republican Abdication

The median Amazon wage amongst the ~650k employees of amazon last year was $28,446. If that's the future of low wage workers they are fucked
  4. austin1972

What to do with old fiberglass boats?

My buddy owns a garbage company. He said glass has no ROI due to the weight vs. just making a new bottle. He said aluminum pretty much subsidizes everything else and recycling in general is viewed as a cost of doing business.
  5. hobot

Random PicThread

6. Winston29

Looking for current reviews on the Bongo 15

I worry that the Finn is a bit too much like the V15 or other race-ready dinghies. By that I mean "tippy" and requiring a lot of hiking out to keep it level... I know, I know, all dinghies require hiking. Here's the deal. I'm not a big fan of hiking out, and neither are my knees or 53 year-old back. I was hoping the 100lbs. of lead at the base of the Bongo keel, along with my 230 - 250lbs. of flab would help reduce the need for excessive hiking to keep the boat level. Hopefully without slowing it down too much. Slips are way too expensive where I live, so a keelboat is out of the question, hence the interest in a (hopefully) stable dinghy or skiff. I considered a catamaran, but I've never liked the ergonomics or pitchpoling that they offer. The obscurity of the Bongo is a definite concern to me. Most all of the rigging could be built from scratch, but if something were to happen to the keel or carbon fiber mast, I might be in for a major hassle.
  7. dg_sailingfan

How many challengers will there be?

Regarding Malta...here are the two Tweets they posted thus far: If you believe that crap by ETNZ COO Kevin Shoebridge that Malta Altus is still IN believe it. I don't. Their lastest Official Tweet is from December 8th 2018. That's now almost 5 months ago.
  8. Gissie

Trump 2020

Hillary is a lost cause. She will never recover from her ‘Deplorables’ cry. Putting everyone that disagrees with you in the deplorable box is wrong. When she came out with it the first time was when I was certain she would lose.
  9. bacq2bacq

cmilliken our friend from La Mancha is not tilting at a windmill here. In "Sapiens" the author refers to corporations as "shared fictions" and he is absolutely right. Another great read. The whole unions-versus-corporations creates a whole bunch of fcked-up incentives. Yes, notice what emerges from the internet? The sharing economy. Sharing makes sense. Supra-national global limited-liability mega-corporations? I'm not so sure.
  10. IStream

Keel bolt maintenance.

Good advice, even for those of us with bolt-ons. Keels, that is.
  11. ortegakid

2019 Texas Centerboard Circuit

Well hell, broke my foot so won't be at SD, but want full report plz, hope to be all better for Conroe.
  12. Movable Ballast

Bothsiderism

Don't look now but your partisanship is showing...
  13. Olsonist

Bothsiderism

Negative, skipper. That comparison is quite valid and your complaining about its source, a messenger distraction, isn't a gonna get you anywhere. But calling DK the equivalent of FN is amusing.
  14. North and Hyde are not setting the sail price that sailors have to pay, that's all done by the builders (LPE, PSA etc) One doesn't need to be a genius to figure out that the builders are buying the sails from North and Hyde at a price slightly less than what the non class legal sails are selling on the street for.
  15. Mismoyled Jiblet.

I don't think it was a poor example. Rich people have a support net & access to counsel which is why they'd never find themselves in that exact situation. My point is more the callous malice of Republican policy ends up being nefarious intent.
  16. Gissie

Xi and the new consumer in China

Certainly does happen. However it tends to be where factories are still going in and replacing ‘farm’ land. As a place expands the place gets covered with buildings and roads. Cows lose out. At the same time you will still find a factory in buttfuck nowhere. Miles from any decent sized city. The ones I would visit needed access to a river system, so this was often the limiting factor. Outside the factory walls was stepping back in time somewhat. Cows certainly hanging around.
  17. blunderfull

N2E changes

Assuming you have to pull the wing in Ensenada to tow the cat back? Do you break the wing down in sections to truck it back?
  18. MidPack

Bothsiderism

The Daily Kos, really? That’s as idiotic as conservatives using Fox News as a source of facts. They’re both unabashed partisans first, relying on selective facts.
  19. mikewof

nhl '19

Thank you. I've never done this well, I'm kind of in a haze right now, it feels like maybe my bad luck is turning around a bit. I'm wondering though if maybe I screwed up on the scoring? The first number after the team is our prediction, the second number is our score. Zero for wrong team, 7 for winner in correct number of games, 6 for winner with one-off, 5 for two-off, etc.. Actual Avs 5 Sharks 7 Dallas 6 Blues 6 Jackets 4 Bruins 7 Islanders 4 Canes 7 Total Mike Avs 7 5 Sharks 5 5 Preds 5 0 Blues 7 6 Tampa 4 0 Leafs 6 0 Islanders 7 4 Canes 6 6 26 Peacefrog Flames 5 0 Vegas 6 0 Preds 5 0 Jets 6 0 Tampa 5 0 Bruins 4 4 Pens 5 0 Caps 5 0 4 Chester Flames 6 0 Sharks 7 7 Dallas 7 6 Jets 7 0 Tampa 4 0 Leafs 6 0 Pens 7 0 Caps 5 0 13 Dyslexic Dog Flames 6 0 Vegas 7 0 Preds 6 0 Blues 6 7 Tampa 5 0 Bruins 7 7 Islanders 6 5 Caps 5 0 19 Figment Flames 5 0 Vegas 7 0 Preds 6 0 Jets 5 0 Tampa 4 0 Bruins 5 5 Islanders 7 4 Caps 5 0 9 Tax Man Flames 6 0 Vegas 5 0 Preds 5 0 Jets 6 0 Tampa 4 0 Bruins 6 6 Pens 6 0 Caps 5 0 6 Hard Aground Flames 7 0 Sharks 6 6 Preds 5 0 Jets 7 0 Tampa 5 0 Bruins 7 7 Islanders 7 4 Caps 6 0 17 Keith Flames 6 0 Vegas 7 0 Preds 6 0 Jets 6 0 Tampa 5 0 Leafs 7 0 Pens 6 0 Caps 6 0 0
  20. As a diversion from the "All impeachment, all the time" threads..... I thought I would offer an excellent opinion piece I read in the NYT whilst on the flight home from London today in the Aluminum tube of Hell. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/opinion/trump-immigration-border-wall.html Read it all the way to the end if you dare. The last bolded paragraph is spot on.
  21. bacq2bacq

@Raz'r Dude! OMG! if I had that much inconsistency happening so quickly in my mind it would schism (but then, I have a multi-hull). You only get to pick one, labels or no labels. Thing and not thing cannot both be true at the same time. Unless maybe you think you get to use labels like right and left, but not others? I suggest again that Americans would do well to distance themselves from these muddy suitcase-baggage words. Because the words mean different things to different people and through time, any communication attempted using them is likely to result in even less shared understanding post-communication. You seem either to not pick up what I am laying down here, or intentionally ignoring it. "... many policies of the Right fall into that category. And yes, some from the left, like rent control, do, as well." Right, left, right left march, and we are all totalitarians and fascists again. "Right" and "Left" do not make policy. Minds do. Policies either makes sense or not, and we can argue for and/or against them across various scales of space and time ("this is good for me, now"; "this will benefit all citizens, long term", "this favours US over Chinese economic interests"). Henry Hazlitt would tell you that if you are considering anything other than long term effects to all players, then you are not doing economics, you are doing something else, like, say, social engineering. Policies don't spontaneously emerge from "right" or "left", and it doesn't matter much where they came from, they are either good or bad on their own. I suggested a set of policies that I think are stupid, and wind up having the effect of further disenfranchising the poor and downtrodden (is that too "labelly"?). At the last I added the one that it be "mandatory that health insurance be bought from for-profit limited-liability corporations" Anyone want to discuss these, while avoiding all use of the terms "right" and "left" and "democrat" and "republican"? Or is just more fun to piss on each other while Rome burns and the Parisien poor eat their nonexistential cake. Is "Knight Fight" on yet? I can smell the bread baking...
  22. On The Hard

What to do with old fiberglass boats?

Seems sensible. I've been convinced for a while that our city's recycling program is a waste of resources.
  23. chester

nhl '19

, well done Mike and thanks.
  24. Winston29

Looking for current opinions on the Bongo 15

Wow, that VX Evo is nice! Nice and expensive (13K Euros). A bit too racy for my skill level, I fear. Thanks for the suggestion, though. As for the Finn. It's a bit too much like the V15 or other race-ready dinghies. By that I mean "tippy" and requiring a lot of hiking out to keep it level... I know, I know, all dinghies require hiking. Here's the deal. I'm not a big fan of hiking out, and neither are my knees or 53 year-old back. I was hoping the 100lbs. of lead at the base of the Bongo keel, along with my 230 - 250lbs. of flab would help reduce the need for excessive hiking to keep the boat level. Slips are way too expensive where I live, so a keelboat is out of the question, hence the interest in a (hopefully) stable dinghy or skiff. I can keep a dinghy in a dry spot for $50 a month, and the ramp is a very short walk away. I considered a catamaran, but I've never liked the ergonomics or pitchpoling that they offer. Sitting on a trampoline with my legs straight out in front of me is a great recipe for future aches and pains. Hopefully someone who's sailed a Bongo will chime in with their experience.
  1. Load more activity

Announcements