636 replies to this topic

#1 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

How about a thread with good Craigslist finds?  I frequently look on Craigslist for boats that are needed by the Park City Sailing Association.  Maybe somebody sees something that they really want in this thread that somebody else found.  

Let's keep it to Sailing Dinghies only, as much as we all love other craigslist finds.

To start, here's a Flying Dutchman in Raleigh for $300 or best offer:  http://raleigh.craig...5316974830.html  

#2 JimmyY

JimmyY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:30 AM

must have been a good deal... ad has been deleted already....

#3 cnw1995

cnw1995

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

I love browsing craigslist for boats... here's an 11 ft  sea snark for $450:  https://chicago.crai...5321553014.html

This wooden 14 ft Blue Jay looks interesting for $2100:  https://chicago.crai...5335347206.html

I've seen this one on Crystal Lake but $5K? https://chicago.crai...5327413667.html

#4 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts
  • Interests:reminiscing,, and bugging Gouv <;-]

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:15 PM

I've seen this one on Crystal Lake but $5K? https://chicago.crai...5327413667.html

...I could imagine someone biting on that,,,rather pretty and looks to be in good nick.........

01111_1hQ0aUJcTbx_600x450.jpg

...but what a gumby job the 'restorer' did on the trailer attachment,,,,makes all his work suspect    :mellow:

00505_aDcctYrpBHH_600x450.jpg

#5 jersey_sailor

jersey_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:43 PM

That is an extremely old Blue Jay, and the listed sail number is likely incorrect, unless it was not built by the major builder(s). My old one (#4868) was built in 1968, lacked air tanks, and also had a wooden boom. They've had airtanks at least since the 5K series.

Also, who would use a winch on that?

Still, they are far better boats for teaching sailing than Optis...

#6 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:43 PM

....it's a pretty boat.  If I lived on the water out there and had a few extra G'$ around.......

#7 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:59 PM

That is an extremely old Blue Jay, and the listed sail number is likely incorrect, unless it was not built by the major builder(s). My old one (#4868) was built in 1968, lacked air tanks, and also had a wooden boom. They've had airtanks at least since the 5K series.

This looks like a better deal to me

http://annapolis.cra...5295569223.html

As for teaching kids to sail in Optis, my observation is that a poor workman always blames his tools. The Opti is actually a nice-sailing little boat. OTOH once they learn to sail, most of them want to bring a friend and the Opti is not good for that; this is where the Blue Jay (or something similar, our program bought plastic Topper Topaz sloops) comes in handy.

This Blue Jay does not look like as good a deal -but- you'll be out less cash

http://newyork.craig...5347530889.html

Here's another interesting deal

http://baltimore.cra...5243645530.html

Looks like you have some work to even get it out of the yard, but lotsa potential, the Star is a fun boat.

FB- Doug

#8 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:17 PM

A Star is fun to sail. You can find a good club level boat for $5-6 grand. An average sailor, with a $5k boat, is going to get smoked at a major regatta, but there's no reason several peep couldn't have a bunch of fun sailing them as a local fleet.
The $300 Flying Dutchman would have serious potential as an EC 'monster boat'. Surprised no one has done it yet.

#9 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:22 PM

Before ratchet blocks became available, lots of dinghies came with snubbing winches for the jib sheets. I had one on the 12'er I learned to race on in the 60s, I recall some Thistles and Snipes having them.

#10 Raz'r

Raz'r

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,625 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:17 PM

i think this thread could be hazardous to my wallet

#11 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

The $300 Flying Dutchman would have serious potential as an EC 'monster boat'. Surprised no one has done it yet.

Or something like this

http://chautauqua.cr...5296499497.html

Truly a monster without any need for further mods

FB- Doug

#12 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

....looks like they didn't quite get the hang of things   :mellow:

00101_hykNyH225iA_600x450.jpg

#13 Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:10 PM

I bet that is the Raleigh almost mulch FD that has come up before.

Didn't have the pictures up where you can see grass through the cockpit this time 

#14 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:13 PM

Or something like this

FB- Doug
Scows have a 0.00 finish record. A couple of guys tried an E-scow twice...they never made it past Anna Maria. The guys with the c-scow a couple years ago, Chubacabra, were taking on serious water out in the Gulf. They made CP1 an hour or so behind FrankenScot, but dropped out early the next morning. All but swamped...they barely made it to shore near Sanibel. Gulf gets pretty nasty waves, it's shallow. Even inside route has some exposed sections that can get rough.

#15 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:54 AM

A Star is fun to sail. You can find a good club level boat for $5-6 grand. An average sailor, with a $5k boat, is going to get smoked at a major regatta, but there's no reason several peep couldn't have a bunch of fun sailing them as a local fleet. 

...the Star fleet in Olympia Wa comes to mind.  One mainstay that's constantly refurbing old stars,,and a whole bunch who jump in for the game.  They have restrictions on how new a hull or sails can be.

.....they have a lot of fun.

Star%20Races%20029a.jpg

#16 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:53 AM

must have been a good deal... ad has been deleted already....

$300 for an FD with a trailer.  Old plastic boat but seemed intact.

#17 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:58 AM

Here's one of my favs that my bro found. 

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/5334354441.html 

A $200 Etchells.  It raced as recently as 2011.  It's awfully tempting.

#18 High Flow

High Flow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Location:as a general rule: i'm there where there is no wind

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:52 AM

gone already?

#19 Foxxy

Foxxy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:48 PM

OK, not a sailboat, but I found this little boat on Craig's list and rescued it to use for umpiring team racing and helping out with the local sailing program. She was designed and built  in Norway in 1982 by Jan Herman Linge, the designer of the Soling and Yngling. The Musling was his smallest powerboat design and has several larger sisters, the Vesling and the Fordling. As I researched the boat, I found out that they are still in production in Jan's original shop. As near as I can tell, this is the original engine or is at least the same vintage. I did have to build a new center console and reinforce the transom along with a lot of fiberglass repair.

Attached File  Musling2.jpg   352.91KB   1 downloads

#20 Errant

Errant

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Sailing!!!

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

+1!!!!!

#21 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:02 PM

Or something like this

FB- Doug
Scows have a 0.00 finish record. A couple of guys tried an E-scow twice...they never made it past Anna Maria. The guys with the c-scow a couple years ago, Chubacabra, were taking on serious water out in the Gulf. They made CP1 an hour or so behind FrankenScot, but dropped out early the next morning. All but swamped...they barely made it to shore near Sanibel. Gulf gets pretty nasty waves, it's shallow. Even inside route has some exposed sections that can get rough.

I know, I know. Scows, even big ones, are poor rough-water boats. And capsizing means GAME OVER, plus they are more difficult to row. But they do hold a lot of promise for shallow-water speed, which is one key to the EC. Just one, though!

At one point I was strongly tempted to bring an E-scow here and put it into our PHRF fleet, but it would never be a boat my wife wold enjoy sailing, so I got the Santana 23 instead (which worked great for a while). But a Santana 23 would not be a good EC Challenger at all!

FB- Doug

#22 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

gone already?

It wasn't when I posted it.  I bet it comes back, ad probably just expired.

#23 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:49 PM

Or something like this

FB- Doug

I know, I know. Scows, even big ones, are poor rough-water boats. And capsizing means GAME OVER, plus they are more difficult to row. But they do hold a lot of promise for shallow-water speed, which is one key to the EC. Just one, though!

At one point I was strongly tempted to bring an E-scow here and put it into our PHRF fleet, but it would never be a boat my wife wold enjoy sailing, so I got the Santana 23 instead (which worked great for a while). But a Santana 23 would not be a good EC Challenger at all!

FB- Doug
Fixed rudders would be a problem in Choko and Florida Bay. None of the Scow entries ever made it that far to find out. IDK what their plan for that was...did they fit transom mounted kickup rudders?
Linton had a real eye-opening experience trying to sail Frankie in the extremely shallow water of S Florida. Much of what he had assumed was completely wrong. Frankie had a custom CB, about 6" deeper than a standard Scot cb, and unballasted. Fantastic out in the Gulf. Nearly useless in shallow water...they often had only a couple inches of board down. Jeff said it really made him appreciate external leeboards, as inefficient as they are, at least lowering as much as the hull draft could be used to prevent leeway. I'm surprised they still went with cb in new boat, though they may still have some tricks up their sleeves.
The other thing was rudders. Jeff uses a sheath lifting dagger rudder in his Classic Moths, works well there for beach launching. So he built a similar for Frankie, using an old cat daggerboard from OH and a custom 'kick out' housing (which took a lot of sorting out). It was a failure...when lifted for extremely shallow water, there simply wasn't enough rudder area left to steer with. A kick-up rudder is preferred, but a deep narrow one puts a lot of load on the housing and pintles, and is awkward to steer when kicked up. Thus, on the new boat they elected to go with twin kick-up rudders, much shallower than a single deep one. I'm pretty sure they're salvage parts from OH's old 'Junkyard Cat', a highly modified Prindle 19.

#24 gloves12

gloves12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:reading, open source, biking, archery, kites, arduino

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:12 PM

Thus, on the new boat they elected to go with twin kick-up rudders, much shallower than a single deep one. I'm pretty sure they're salvage parts from OH's old 'Junkyard Cat', a highly modified Prindle 19. 

Geez, I didn't even know twin rudders existed, crazy stuff.  

My only boat is a little 12-foot dinghy that I got off CL for $150 this summer, it's fun!  I'm good at flipping it over.  I'm not sure what it is though; looks kinda like a butterfly?

GracieAnne-smaller.jpg

#25 ease hike trim

ease hike trim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:29 PM

I'll take MC Scows for $150, Alex...

#26 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:37 PM

My only boat is a little 12-foot dinghy that I got off CL for $150 this summer, it's fun!  I'm good at flipping it over.  I'm not sure what it is though; looks kinda like a butterfly?

GracieAnne.JPG

It looks very very much like a Butterfly... they had a V-shaped coaming though. Daggerboard? No bilgeboard slots visible so it isn't an MC.

Have you got a good sail for it? If so, I'll give you $160

:P

FB- Doug

#27 gloves12

gloves12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:45 PM

GracieAnne-smaller.jpg

It looks very very much like a Butterfly... they had a V-shaped coaming though. Daggerboard? No bilgeboard slots visible so it isn't an MC.

FB- Doug

Haha!  yup, has a daggerboard.  It's a 3 or 4 foot wooden one.  The sail is good!    Butterflies have a 2-part mast, right?  Mine is all 1 piece.  Hmmm.

#28 scowlover

scowlover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:51 PM

GracieAnne-smaller.jpg

FB- Doug

Haha!  yup, has a daggerboard.  It's a 3 or 4 foot wooden one.  The sail is good!    Butterflies have a 2-part mast, right?  Mine is all 1 piece.  Hmmm.

This could also be a Johnson Mini-Scow. Those were very similar to a Butterfly. 

#29 gloves12

gloves12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:08 PM

This could also be a Johnson Mini-Scow. Those were very similar to a Butterfly. 

Nice!  No stays / shrouds on that newer looking one, but otherwise it looks almost exactly the same - I bet that's what it is.

#30 John Ely

John Ely

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

This is cheating, but heres a canoe for 15oo usd

http://intcanoe.com/boats-for-sale/

#31 High Flow

High Flow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:14 PM

Serious cheating!

#32 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:03 AM

gone already?

Ad seems to be working...I wonder if the link will.  http://denver.craigs...5334354441.html 

If not, go to Denver, Colorado's Craigslist and type in Etchells and it will pop up.  

#33 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

gone already?

Ad seems to be working...I wonder if the link will.  http://denver.craigs...5334354441.html 

If not, go to Denver, Colorado's Craigslist and type in Etchells and it will pop up.  
It's easily worth the $200, provided you have several thousand more to get it sailing. no rig or sails, hardware missing.

#34 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:25 PM

Right below is one for 2300. I didn't realize the older ones were so inexpensive....that's less than a used Laser.

#35 Carbon

Carbon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:02 AM

A beautiful example of a Penguin with a nice setup for travel for those interested.  I'm particularly fond of Penguins for some reason.  Wish this one had been available when I bought my project Penguin!

http://williamsport....5294581034.html

#36 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:04 AM

A beautiful example of a Penguin with a nice setup for travel for those interested.  I'm particularly fond of Penguins for some reason.  Wish this one had been available when I bought my project Penguin!

http://williamsport....5294581034.html

Sweet! I learned to sail in a Penguin, #6495 built by Customflex. I think it was built in '63 or '64, my dad bought it in '65 when we moved to Florida. Kept it about 2 years, then bought a 12' locally built sloop. Sold the Penguin, kept the British Seagull that came with the Penguin for many years, until my Dad dropped it overboard in Maine in the early 90s.

#37 wannabefd

wannabefd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:skiing,sailing,biking,tinkering, IPA

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

I have a habit of looking at ads for something cool and unusual.This I 14 has been for sale for a while but has great potential as a vintage racer.
http://www.usedcowic...tional_17368714

#38 Carbon

Carbon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:35 PM

I have a habit of looking at ads for something cool and unusual.This I 14 has been for sale for a while but has great potential as a vintage racer.
http://www.usedcowic...tional_17368714

That is a great find.  If that were on the East coast I might snatch that up!

Tom

#39 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Kiteboarding, Ladies, Beer, and SAILING

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:52 PM

Killer deal for $500...

01212_3yG4SPZ0vZ6_600x450.jpg

Ns 14 three sail inventory. 
Upgraded melges 29r rudder cassette so no worries with original design which sucked! Hull great shape mast and boom pirate rigged 
This is a fun, wave surfing, save your race boat for the qualifier boat and a steal at 500.00 beach permit good til march 2016. 
Consider trade for whatever hit me up!!! 
This won't last folks!!!

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/boa/5344061742.html

#40 John Ely

John Ely

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:18 AM

does ebay count? 470 at auction. currently racing, though built in '71.....according to the post....

http://www.ebay.com/...em=191757125602

#41 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:21 AM

I used to have a 1971 Vanguard 470. Loved the boat. No possible way a 470 that old would be competitive in OD racing now. It would still make an enjoyable daysailor or Portsmouth club racer. $1000 is high, should be $500-750.

#42 High Flow

High Flow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:43 AM

Killer deal for $500...

01212_3yG4SPZ0vZ6_600x450.jpg

Ns 14 three sail inventory. 
Upgraded melges 29r rudder cassette so no worries with original design which sucked! Hull great shape mast and boom pirate rigged 
This is a fun, wave surfing, save your race boat for the qualifier boat and a steal at 500.00 beach permit good til march 2016. 
Consider trade for whatever hit me up!!! 
This won't last folks!!!

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/boa/5344061742.html

I like!

#43 blurocketsmate

blurocketsmate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:Boats that sail and bikes that are pedaled.

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:07 AM

Ditto the NS14, those are sweet boats.

An old 470 to knock around on would be great too, especially for the ocean.

#44 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

Here's a cold molded Flying Dutchman for $800   http://reno.craigsli...5347277884.html 

#45 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

Ditto the NS14, those are sweet boats.

An old 470 to knock around on would be great too, especially for the ocean.

I sailed my 470 in the Gulf of Mexico often. Wow, was that a blast when the wind and seas kicked up! Boat was designed for those conditions.

#46 John Ely

John Ely

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:03 PM

mx-ray for 3500usd

https://annapolis.cr...5321384063.html

#47 High Flow

High Flow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

mx-ray for 3500usd

Racketeering!

#48 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

mx-ray for 3500usd

Racketeering!
Yea, seems way high.

#49 John Ely

John Ely

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:19 AM

more cheating but i'm looking for a cheap sailboat i can sail myself and will do anything to avoid a laser

http://www.sailboatl....com/view/45888

#50 Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:21 AM

more cheating but i'm looking for a cheap sailboat i can sail myself and will do anything to avoid a laser

I agree with your thinking but WTF is going on with the mainsheet?

Sailboats_004.jpg

#51 John Ely

John Ely

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:12 AM

Yeah, a traveler-vang super rig?  12-pounder recoil mechanism?  Some serious big dacron line.  Appears to have a block for a vestigial vang of a more usual sort, and a trapeze line bungie-cord back stay....probably i'm more worried about leaking seams between the hull and the deck, the center-board gaskets (i know who would likely be hauling on the fin a lot learning how to sail this thing), and the trailer i probably need to get it from Maine to DC....if the standing rigging was mostly 'indoors' since 1970, i could probably figure out how to re-rig the sheet and the trapeze without too much fuss?  The deck is in different colors, and probably spongy as hell, but I'm not planning to stand on it much or worried about the weight as all i want to do is hang out and go faster than some of the other boats around.  The rag probably needs some duct tape, and no pics of the rudder, which i think is supposed to be adjustable in order to maintain control....written a first note to the fellow who wants to sell it....

#52 bill4

bill4

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, golf, hockey, dark rum

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:16 AM

Ah yes. Looks it could be the old continous main sheet system that you can trim and cleat not only from both sides, but from fore and aft on both sides. Surprised that hasn't caught on.

#53 High Flow

High Flow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:20 AM

The contender is a kick ass cool boat! Had one, loved it.
The contender is way cooler than a laser. It's a real boat!

#54 High Flow

High Flow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:25 AM

It seems that the trapeze is rigged. They used one trapeze to suspend the boom. There is nothing else to hold the boom when the sail isn't up. Very common practice eg for over the boom cover.
Once you hoisted the sail you can unhook the trapeze from the boom and rig it to its proper location.

#55 Carbon

Carbon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:24 PM

That Contender has been on Craigslist for a long time in Maine.  It's now white and about $400.  It's not up there now but he may have gotten tired of renewing the listing.

#56 Carbon

Carbon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:29 PM

Here's a cold molded Flying Dutchman for $800   http://reno.craigsli...5347277884.html

Nice find!

#57 jrcanoe

jrcanoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

Rare fun little boat. Mac Dinghy, I have two but would buy it if it were closer because I have 3 young women sailers.

http://portland.crai...5356371824.html

#58 cnw1995

cnw1995

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

Here's a few more

https://chicago.crai...5358765304.html--- $50.

https://milwaukee.cr...5304087827.html

https://chicago.crai...5356760009.html

https://milwaukee.cr...5356758742.html

#59 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:30 PM

...wow.    ...sorta ready for the Eco Challenge   :mellow:

....and just -begging- for a big Asso kite

sailboat 16 foot cabin stevenson weekender - $1300 (milwaukee)

00K0K_9qFibB0EBAS_600x450.jpg

google stevenson weekender for info wood sailboat 2007 has nylon sails merc 3.5 outboard new stainless motor mount sails good very light and you can rig it in a couple minutes folding mast very light can tow with any car room to sleep 2 trailer has new tires/rims/bearings complete rig ready to go has wisconsin title $1300 

#60 Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:29 PM

I always thought Weekender looked like someone copied a mounted half-hull model but didn't know the board it was mounted on wasn't supposed to be part of the boat.

Some of them are built with far better materials and level of finish than they deserve.

#61 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:57 PM

I always thought Weekender looked like someone copied a mounted half-hull model but didn't know the board it was mounted on wasn't supposed to be part of the boat.

Good one, LOL

They are a woodworking project, not a sailboat. They don't really sail, so how can it be one? It would be very interesting to see somebody attempt the Everglades Challenge in a Stevenson Weekender, there's a lot of them out there so this could be a way to cull the herd in a productive and entertaining manner.

FB- Doug

#62 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:26 PM

Here's a couple

Howmar 12 $975

http://raleigh.craig...5356700247.html

00J0J_fQuOTDFGNU1_600x450.jpg

Looks like a nicer boat than the AMF Puffer I got for a bit less

Or is this one a better deal? 1959 Lido 14 $850

http://charlottesvil...5295294555.html

01616_7p5MfHNXtyE_600x450.jpg

Hint- the difference in price is WAY more than the difference in the value of the trailers.

FB- Doug

#63 wannabefd

wannabefd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:04 PM

A few more weird and unusual ones
http://portland.crai...5319059614.html
http://bellingham.cr...5335582483.html

#64 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:56 AM

Here's a fun one. Seven unfinished FJ hull for $2k! It's an instant fleet for some program.  Some assembly required.

http://providence.craigslist.org/bod/5360329039.html 

#65 High Flow

High Flow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:41 AM

Here's a fun one. Seven unfinished FJ hull for $2k! It's an instant fleet for some program.  Some assembly required.

I highly doubt that they'll ever go sailing again.

but then again, you never know...

#66 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:14 AM

..the ad's not showing,,,but I'd think it's be a no-brainer for an enterprising club to build their junior program  

#67 High Flow

High Flow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

..the ad's not showing,,,but I'd think it's be a no-brainer for an enterprising club to build their junior program  

hmm, not so sure after I've seen the pictures.

- unfinished hull

- stored and aged outside (what seems for decades - should have stored some whiskey with them)

- no fittings

- no spars

- no sails

- no foils

7 bare, unfinished and aged hulls.

good to make a warm fire. 

#68 Norse Horse

Norse Horse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • Interests:R2AK 2016
    R2AK 2017
    Team Squamish

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

You need a ;57 chevwith matching paint to tow this...what is it....scow.

01212_lkfPO6ms1BA_600x450.jpg

http://seattle.craig...5356092241.html

#69 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:55 PM

Scow of some kind. I doubt the hull is solid fiberglass...that flat bottom would be needing some coring to prevent bad oil-canning.
I had a 57 Chevy 2-door wagon originally that color, inside and out.

#70 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:00 PM

- unfinished hull
- stored and aged outside (what seems for decades - should have stored some whiskey with them)
- no fittings
- no spars
- no sails
- no foils

Ad is NLA. But it's going to cost a few thousand per boat to acquire those parts to outfit those hulls. Plus labor. Any start-up program would be far ahead to pick up a used and complete fleet from a program getting new boats.

#71 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

- unfinished hull
- no fittings
- no spars
- no sails
- no foils

Ad is NLA. But it's going to cost a few thousand per boat to acquire those parts to outfit those hulls. Plus labor. Any start-up program would be far ahead to pick up a used and complete fleet from a program getting new boats.

If the hulls are still sound, then they  might be useful to a program's already-existing fleet of beaters. But RK is correct, the cost of fitting out old boats missing major parts is -WAY- more than the price of sailable beaters. An FJ in crap-but-possible-to-sail condition is worth about $400~$900 depending on sails and local demand; generally 420s run a bit higher. An off-the-shelf rudder costs almost that much.

Yeah you can make your own rudders (and everything) but the hardware costs too. Shucks just the rope is going to cost a couple hundred. Never forget that skilled+enthusiastic volunteer labor hours are a precious resource, not something to squander. Trust me on this!

FB- Doug

#72 Norse Horse

Norse Horse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
    R2AK 2017
    Team Squamish

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:38 AM

Another interesting scow, this design from an early Popular Mechanics mag, apparently. http://seattle.craig...5316539998.html

00J0J_fp1MmeYGfP2_600x450.jpg

#73 RKoch

RKoch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:08 PM

- unfinished hull
- no fittings
- no spars
- no sails
- no foils

If the hulls are still sound, then they  might be useful to a program's already-existing fleet of beaters. But RK is correct, the cost of fitting out old boats missing major parts is -WAY- more than the price of sailable beaters. An FJ in crap-but-possible-to-sail condition is worth about $400~$900 depending on sails and local demand; generally 420s run a bit higher. An off-the-shelf rudder costs almost that much.

Yeah you can make your own rudders (and everything) but the hardware costs too. Shucks just the rope is going to cost a couple hundred. Never forget that skilled+enthusiastic volunteer labor hours are a precious resource, not something to squander. Trust me on this!

FB- Doug

This is correct. My Uni sailing club had 8 old Sunfish that the previous years membership decided to refurbish and had dismantled. Most of the parts were there, just needed know-how and labor. I was in charge of the fiber glassing gang, patching up all the holes. Another guy knew how to spray paint, and was in charge of the paint crew. A woman knew how to sew, and was in charge of repairing the sails. Others chipped in their labor sanding, bolting on hardware, organized fund-raising keggers, etc. We got r done. The people who gutted out the couple semesters long project became life-long sailors.

#74 High Flow

High Flow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

Sounds cool. If course it can be done. You gotta ask yourself if it's worth it. If the refurbishment of the boats is part of the whole idea and you have people who enjoy doing it hell yeah!
If you only look at how much money it'll take to get a fleet of working boats then the answer might be no.

#75 kprice

kprice

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:38 AM

I agree with your thinking but WTF is going on with the mainsheet?

Sailboats_004.jpg

Classic 70's rigging, before they figured out that you need lowers to the gooseneck and an 16:1 vang.   Then you can use mid-boom sheeting and get rid of the traveller.....

#76 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

This looks like a really cool boat at a price that anybody could (should, anyway) afford.

https://sfbay.craigs...5364875466.html

Good thing it's on the far side of the country from me, I already have too many boats... wait, no I don't!

FB- Doug

#77 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:56 PM

This looks like a really cool boat at a price that anybody could (should, anyway) afford.

Good thing it's on the far side of the country from me, I already have too many boats... wait, no I don't!

FB- Doug

...looks almost like a contender,,,but has jib leads.   :mellow:

01414_dmkzaCKAWKh_600x450.jpg00404_9QYHFBBUGAf_600x450.jpg

#78 Raz'r

Raz'r

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,625 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:22 PM

this is exactly why this thread could cost me cash.  I could see my girls bombing around the delta on that thing...

#79 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:31 AM

this is exactly why this thread could cost me cash.  I could see my girls bombing around the delta on that thing...

And this is a problem because.... what, exactly ??!?!?!!?

:unsure:

Get thee hence, and buy that puppy!

FB- Doug

#80 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:01 AM

Or a fun old International 14 project for $600 in Los Angeles area.  Hope the link works this time.

http://losangeles.cr...5368807913.html

Nice trailer too...maybe the best part though it looks easy to save.

#81 Raz'r

Raz'r

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,625 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:09 AM

Nah, just bought a modern 14...

#82 wannabefd

wannabefd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:23 AM

FB- Doug

...looks almost like a contender,,,but has jib leads.   :mellow:

01414_dmkzaCKAWKh_600x450.jpg00404_9QYHFBBUGAf_600x450.jpg
Nice find, I had this design bookmarked when I was looking for plans for a boat to build.
It's a Vandestadt design Thumb 15Attached File  4.jpg   27.22KB   1 downloadsAttached File  1.jpg   43.93KB   1 downloads

#83 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:43 PM

Could be fun for $750

00w0w_9TaOK6Zouq2_600x450.jpg

http://norfolk.craig...5366513598.html

#84 JimmyY

JimmyY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:50 AM

this is the kind of stuff that keeps me reading this thread.....would love to bring this home...

Could be fun for $750

#85 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:48 AM

this is the kind of stuff that keeps me reading this thread.....would love to bring this home...

Could be fun for $750

Great design on paper, very cool looking boat. However given that it's built by the same people who gave the world the Sidewinder, I suspect it is junk. Ask Gouvernail... best use for this boat would be to pull a set of molds off it.

MFG made heavy flexy hulls and rigged them with plumbing store leftovers. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I pass!

FB- Doug

#86 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,072 posts
  • Interests:nothing here

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:27 AM

Everything Szyteemflyre said!!
And...
The first couple dozen were made by the non sailor powerboat builders before I got home from school, walked in and screamed, "you haven't got a damned thing under the mast step and nothing to spread the flex at the transition from the unreinforced single skin hull to where it is bonded to the cockpit floor and holy fuck that rigging is going to blow up the first time it is used!!"

They had a thing they called a gennaker fir off the wind that well could have been the first asymmetrical chute
But
The cretins had used the exact same tiny plastic clear for the tack line snd halyard that the Laser builders used to supply as the chest for the rudder tie down line.

I took a brand new boat up to Erie bay and pushed the mast through the bottom of the boat as we flattened out on the very first tack out of the harbor.
Out went repair kits to every dealer who had bought one

But Gibbs would NOT back off on his fucking stupid cleats.
The prototype wood hull and fig McAlpine Downey sent from England may have been the singular sweetest fastest boat I have ever had the opportunity to sail
All MFG did was fuck it up

Then to add insult to injury...
The guys at Playcraft Charger in Richlsnd Missouri bought all the tooling , never used it, would not sell it to me, and finally bulldozed all the molds a few years ago

I remain convinced I could have built a kick butt very fast day sailor out of those molds.
It isn't worth my effort to build a mold off a hull as that experimental toy would then cost twenty thousand or way more

Grrrrrrr
Just seeing a Whip still totally pisses me off

And if I could lay my hands on the 23 foot Cobra molds???
It was our 1972 should have been the J-70
But they bulldozed them
1.jpg

#87 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:32 PM

I remain convinced I could have built a kick butt very fast day sailor out of those molds.
It isn't worth my effort to build a mold off a hull as that experimental toy would then cost twenty thousand or way more

...since when does one apply full shop rate to their labor of love?   :mellow:

#88 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,072 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:00 AM

...since when does one apply full shop rate to their labor of love?   :mellow:

Actually that is the "what I would spend before it floats" amount and I think I am being optimistic

Gotta go get a hull somewhere
Gotta fix it up to make a hull mold
Gelcoat resin glass reinforcing wheels
Gotta start over and get the deck ready
Gelcoat Resin glass reinforcing wheels

The hull itself gelcoat glass resin
The deck itself
I bet Plexus costs dearly
I have a wood board but I would need to build a rudder
Fittings tiller (mooch extension from a Laser unless I double trapeze the thing)
It would need more ctb for double trapeze
Mast
Boom I could make from junk
Some rigging
I have lots of rigging
Shrouds would certainly be custom
Sails

Trailer racks on a trailer ( I must own something)

I would need a second guy for a whole lot of days and he not only costs his wages but I would lose out on whatever he would normally be doing to cover the overhead

It just seems $20,000 would go away before a boat could go sailing
Or more

Realism says the rig would not be right the first time and the hull and deck laminates would need to be tweaked
So... I might have a boat I couldn't even sell

#89 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:36 PM

Everything Szyteemflyre said!!
And...
The first couple dozen were made by the non sailor powerboat builders before I got home from school, walked in and screamed, "you haven't got a damned thing under the mast step and nothing to spread the flex at the transition from the unreinforced single skin hull to where it is bonded to the cockpit floor and holy fuck that rigging is going to blow up the first time it is used!!"

They had a thing they called a gennaker fir off the wind that well could have been the first asymmetrical chute
But
The cretins had used the exact same tiny plastic clear for the tack line snd halyard that the Laser builders used to supply as the chest for the rudder tie down line.

I took a brand new boat up to Erie bay and pushed the mast through the bottom of the boat as we flattened out on the very first tack out of the harbor.
Out went repair kits to every dealer who had bought one

But Gibbs would NOT back off on his fucking stupid cleats.
The prototype wood hull and fig McAlpine Downey sent from England may have been the singular sweetest fastest boat I have ever had the opportunity to sail
All MFG did was fuck it up

Then to add insult to injury...
The guys at Playcraft Charger in Richlsnd Missouri bought all the tooling , never used it, would not sell it to me, and finally bulldozed all the molds a few years ago

Grrrrrrr
Just seeing a Whip still totally pisses me off

And if I could lay my hands on the 23 foot Cobra molds???
It was our 1972 should have been the J-70
But they bulldozed them
1.jpg

I've seen these for sale a couple of times, usually at ridiculous prices. Sometimes called a "Ford 20" or something like that. It looks very cool, clearly a boat ahead of it's time.

If it would really cost $20K in materials to produce a set of molds for a Whip size/shape boat hull & deck, then I agree that is a really impractical and stupid expenditure. But it's an awful shame that these boats weren't better built in the first place.

Nowadays it's hard to imagine what sailing gear was like... I remember when my father was thrilled with his new low-stretch braided rope halyards. Everything was twisted 3-strand; blocks were more similar to what Mom had on the clothesline than the Harken and Ronstan blocks today, clam cleats were Bakelite monstrosities. And they were better than what went before; but I remember looking at the MFG Sidewinder when it was relatively new, and a small fleet of them appeared at our sailing club. Cool and fast-looking! But the rigging & foils were cheap and clumsy by comparison to the boats I was already sailing, Sidewinder sailors clearly struggled just to make the boats do basic stuff. And the fleet only lasted a few years.

More recently, a junior program I am involved in was given an MFG Pintail. Although it looks very much like a normal little boat, it was horrible in every respect. Tippy but underpowered, difficult to steer, heavy but flexy. After one test sail by the coaches we decided not to EVER expose students to such a piece of junk. I lobbied to keep the trailer and dumpster the boat, however the program needed cash so it was spiffed up & sold to an unsuspecting buyer (who I don't think has ever actually sailed it).

Combine this with Gouvernail's stories, and the 'temptation' of a Craigslist Whip/Sidewinder/Pintail/Bandit/etc becomes easy to resist.

FB- Doug

#90 Norse Horse

Norse Horse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
    R2AK 2017
    Team Squamish

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:17 PM

A zombie dinghy from Kitsilano....http://vancouver.cra...5363577419.html

00E0E_1xzJoHrdaXh_600x450.jpg

#91 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,072 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:25 AM

Doug...
The Ford 20 was a different beast
We built a few dozen
The Cobra never made it out of product development and into production
We made a few but never really figured out how to mass produce the things
Hell.,we didn't even know what we were trying to accomplish except to make something that moved more like a Dutchman than an Ensign

#92 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,072 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:27 AM

A zombie dinghy from Kitsilano....http://vancouver.cra...5363577419.html

00E0E_1xzJoHrdaXh_600x450.jpg

Cool but it looks like somebody should have turned Couuchsurfer loose on it ten years ago before the rot got it

#93 Islander Jack

Islander Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:59 AM

100 ft sloop, "Christine"

00808_8JIv7XrDeoE_600x450.jpg

#94 High Flow

High Flow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:29 PM

Nice, i want that one, and 10 hot babes as a crew!

#95 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,072 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

Sorta want that but I forgot to be born a Rothchild

#96 Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

I only have a 97 foot slip

#97 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,401 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:16 PM

The description of the Pintail is fitting - we had 3 of them at a program I worked for.  They sucked out loud.

#98 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

Not quite Craigslist but how about a Star for $10.27 on Ebay...  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Lillia-Star-228-Sailboat-Trailer-Connecticut-/351622333800?forcerrptr=true&hash=item51de530568:g:lBoAAOSwa-dWjVsG&item=351622333800 

#99 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,072 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

The newest Pintail is about to have a 40th birthday.
Every year from 1970 we tried to stop building them but we kept getting orders and never built fewer than 200 in a year.... Which was the perfect number for a set of molds that hung on our monorails and just moved around through the production shop.
It was so simple we could send it down the powerboat production line to have its deck fastened on and the nearly no existent rigging installed.
There were even fleets and the Nationals always drew forty or more boats.
No one has ever gone broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

#100 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

Merit 25 for $500...

00Y0Y_k9ad4ywlV9C_600x450.jpg

Sailboat need out of my yard.
Don't know much about it just need it gone.
$500 firm, I know the trailer is worth more than that.
Tires still aired up.

https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/5388147923.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users