#1 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:33 PM

OK so I need some vacation and I'm thinking of taking a week off sometime soon to go do something in the water. I live in Cincinnati so anywhere on the mid Atlantic coast is doable. I'm think Outer Banks, Virginia Beach or even points south. Ok:

1) where to go? Where's there good breeze? Too hot? wait til fall? Best instructors? Other sailing/on the water things to do? Off the water activities (I'm a single guy)?

2) should I kite or windsurf? I've never done either but I'm a decent sailor. Also which would work better back home if I decide I wanted to get into it. Never seen anybody out here at the lakes but then again I haven't been at the lakes too much.

#2 Roller Skates

Roller Skates

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

OK so I need some vacation and I'm thinking of taking a week off sometime soon to go do something in the water. I live in Cincinnati so anywhere on the mid Atlantic coast is doable. I'm think Outer Banks, Virginia Beach or even points south. Ok:

1) where to go? Where's there good breeze? Too hot? wait til fall? Best instructors? Other sailing/on the water things to do? Off the water activities (I'm a single guy)?

2) should I kite or windsurf? I've never done either but I'm a decent sailor. Also which would work better back home if I decide I wanted to get into it. Never seen anybody out here at the lakes but then again I haven't been at the lakes too much.

Can't help you much on the where. Launching seems to be the big concern at home. I can get my windsurf boards in anywhere but the kites need a beach/a second hand/or a powerboat in MN. What do you have for trees/large beaches? Learning curve seems easier with the kites though.

#3 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,258 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

North Carolinas Outter Banks is a Mecca to kite and wind surfing.

Just go to Hattras clip in and hang on.

Sound side flat water, miles of launch beach. Ocean side just as great swimming in powder blue 80 degree water in national seashore beauty.

You could " practice" up here then get more bang for your buck out there.

V Beach has thousands people on blankets and dirty bay water.

On that note you will need to contact a shop for kite lessions.

Windsurfing beginners just need a rental setup and 100' of line and a brick to keep your in close to shore.

#4 Raked aft \\

Raked aft \\

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

Having done both, the learning curve is steeper on a windsurfer than a kite board.

I would shoot for New England before mid Atl around this time, cooler and better chance for breeze.

later in the fall would be better for mid Atl.

where ever you end up, find a shop that can do rental/lessons.  That will be your quickest route up the ladder...

#5 NikolEmber

NikolEmber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:37 AM

super. Excellent information!

#6 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:Building Sails in the USA

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:21 PM

http://realwatersports.com

tell my buddy Trip Forman, Peter From BYC sent you 

#7 nelson.e

nelson.e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:F-25C hull 22
    f-25c.blogspot.com

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:08 AM

Kiteboarding will be quicker to get to where you're zipping around with a grin on your face.  I had my brother up and plaining the first day kiteboarding, although on one tack only.  When I was a kid I taught windsurfing, I can't recall a student with much success on day one.  Nothing against windsurfing, but a kite make water starting really easy.

#8 gobigkahuna

gobigkahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

I live on the outer banks, and they're right, we have the best kiteboarding conditions on the planet.  Perfect for learning.  Go to Real Kiteboarding.  They have the best facilities and equipment.  Not a cheap sport though.

#9 jeff E of the GWN

jeff E of the GWN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:windsurfing, after years of slowboating on a keelboat.

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

Kiting is by far easier to learn just make sure you bring Tylenol advil etc etc ...You can get slammed easy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users