• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 motull

motull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum.  I'm looking for a sailing opportunity/crew position that will take me across the Atlantic Ocean.  I have experience, and can contribute $ toward essential expenses (such as food/water fuel etc.)  

This is my situation, and any constructive input is welcome (key word constructive):

I am available starting in May-until Nov.  I am currently located in New Orleans, however I am happy to travel to Florida or the Caribbean for the best option when it comes to finding a boat.  I've been in contact with some boat owners, and trying to get my ducks in a row, but if I can not get something lined up via the internet and skype interviews, is it smarter to head to the Keys, or is there specific island port in the Caribbean where it's common to find crew positions on boats heading across the Atlantic?  Any tips on where I can find a position on someone's boat?  I also want to stay respectful and not assume any entitlement in my search for a work-ride.  I'm flexible and easy going, but feeling a tad anxious as the months tick away.  I don't want to get left behind!  

That's all.  Thanks ya'll.  

#2 LionessRacing

LionessRacing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Interests:club racing, navigation,

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

Your details are (intentionally?) sketchy. 

Giving more sense of your experience, and your specific interest would allow more specific suggestions. 

E.G. you are an experienced:

• dinghy sailor
  • inland keelboat
  • near shore
  • coastal
  • offshore: Longest passage, place, boat  and position

What specific skills can you bring to a crew? 

• sail handling: cruising/racing
  • steering 
  • cooking
  • navigation and piloting
  • cleaning and cosmetic maintenance
  • electronics/engine/refrigeration/mechanical repair? 
  • certifications in any of the above, or references 

Physical capabilities you can bring: 

• strength
  • Medical concerns if any

#3 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,145 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:58 PM

quite a few cruising boats go from the caribbean to the med or other ports in europe in the spring - say starting in early april, and departing between then and sometime in may - some go in june, but that's getting on towards when they want to be in europe.

they depart from anywhere.., but st martin and antigua are common - especially for bigger boats. it's possible that some of the boats make it  to florida before going back, but i don't think many do - for any that do, i would guess ft lauderdale

then they come back west again in november/december. 

i think more boats get put on big ships for the eastbound trip than the westbound trip

#4 motull

motull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

Your details are (intentionally?) sketchy. 

Giving more sense of your experience, and your specific interest would allow more specific suggestions. 

E.G. you are an experienced:

Ha! Sketchy was not my intention.  I guess I came off ambiguous, but as for just putting out "feelers" this was definitely the reply I was looking for, Thanks.

Experience:

• 3 + years competitive sailing mostly, predominately on Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana and the Gulf of Mexico
  • a few over night passes/boat transport
  • trained to work foredeck mainly-I've been honing in on my spinnaker skills
  • sail handling both cruising and racing

Skills:

• Cooking
  • cleaning fish (gutting, de-scale)
  • conversation
  • following orders
  • working as a team (not everyone can do this)
  • enthusiasm
  • quick learner
  • card games... :)
  • amiable and flexible
  • cleaning, no problem
  • No certificates

Physical capabilities:

• physically fit/strong
  • good immune system
  • no real seasickness to speak of
  • height: 5'1, weight 125 (give or take...)
  • quick
  • no medical concerns 

#5 motull

motull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

quite a few cruising boats go from the caribbean to the med or other ports in europe in the spring - say starting in early april, and departing between then and sometime in may - some go in june, but that's getting on towards when they want to be in europe.

they depart from anywhere.., but st martin and antigua are common - especially for bigger boats. it's possible that some of the boats make it  to florida before going back, but i don't think many do - for any that do, i would guess ft lauderdale

Thanks!  I knew about St. Martin, but I did not know about Antigua or Ft Lauderdale.  Thank you!  That is very helpful.

#6 V21

V21

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:09 PM

I wouldn't head down to the caribbean in May without a ride organized, april may is kind of leaving time and it's quite the exodus over a short period of time, anything past mid May and you might arrive to empty docks

#7 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,145 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:31 AM

wee

Thanks!  I knew about St. Martin, but I did not know about Antigua or Ft Lauderdale.  Thank you!  That is very helpful.

well, i wouldn't say ft lauderdale has anything like the number of sailboats departing for europe as does st martin or antigua, the only reason i mentioned it was that you asked about florida - it could be that zero sailboats depart from there for europe 

#8 motull

motull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

I wouldn't head down to the caribbean in May without a ride organized, april may is kind of leaving time and it's quite the exodus over a short period of time, anything past mid May and you might arrive to empty docks

Well that puts a bit more pressure on my search then.  I suppose if I can't find a boat via the internet ahead of time then flying down to the Caribbean with the hopes of heading transAtlantic is far fetched and risky according to what you are saying.  Does that mean seeking a different destination would be more promising?  I do not actually have a required destination, more like a desired destination.  I am super flexible, except that I can't start before May.  I just want to go anyway via sailboat so I can hone in on my skills and become a better sailor.  So for instance offering my services/contributing expenses as crew for a boat going to the Pacific might be more promising?  

Thanks for the input.   

#9 motull

motull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

wee

well, i wouldn't say ft lauderdale has anything like the number of sailboats departing for europe as does st martin or antigua, the only reason i mentioned it was that you asked about florida - it could be that zero sailboats depart from there for europe 

Right.  I wanted to distinguish between Florida cities.  It was comparing between Miami, and the Keys and I forgot about Ft. Lauderdale.  But I agree that St. Matin and Antigua are better options. I'm just covering all possible outlets.  Thanks for your input   

#10 TsunamiMike

TsunamiMike

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, computers, indoor climbing, fishing, hunting, reading, crossword puzzles, sudoku, other.

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

You may want to look at the Caribbean 1500 as a starter.  Owners are usually looking for some help.  This is definitely a low key event.

https://www.worldcru...1500/event.aspx

#11 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,145 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

also - typically if you help with a delivery, you won't be expected to contribute to boat-related expenses, or food that is provisioned for the voyage.

nearly all transatlantic passages are deliveries of one sort or another - especially the east-bound trips

it's not even that uncommon for return airfare to be provided. getting paid a daily rate is less common, and typically requires experience

if it's more of a cruise - sailing around.., stopping here or there.., then sharing of expenses is a bit more common

also some transatlantic events - like the ARC - have a few boats that charge money for berths - some of them are businesses, and some are just owners tying to defray part of the cost. The ARC is something that a lot of people aspire to do, so there is a bit of a market for spots. But even in the ARC, which gets 200 boats, probably fewer than 5 or 10 % of the crew are even contributing to expenses.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boat hitchhiking, transatlantic, crew, caribbean

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users