• Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

#601 Brent Swain

Brent Swain

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Interests:cruising, boxing, MMA, hunting , fishing, boat design, simplifying things, innovation,keeping things practical and functional.

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

Does anyone know if its possible to make an origami steel drum?

I though they were!

#602 Brent Swain

Brent Swain

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Interests:cruising, boxing, MMA, hunting , fishing, boat design, simplifying things, innovation,keeping things practical and functional.

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

Wow. A week is a long time in the Steel Boat thread. A week ago I said I would post photos of our steel boat while it was on the hard this weekend. Gives an idea of hull shape etc. Still interested to know if any of you can pick the designer. Was built by a guy named Howard Greenwood in Port Stephens in the late 90s.

There were a couple of spots we went back to the steel then used Jotomastic 90 (three coats six hours aparts) then Altex No 5 Antifouling. Anything else that looked iffy we put Altex Primashield before applying Altex No 5. We replaced Propspeed with Pettit Vivid. Jeremy of Balmain Marine Centre was a commercial steel boat builder  is a previous life and was very helpful.

Wife is a happy camper so the weekend was a success,

Thanks in advance for any comments on any of the above. It's our first steel boat.

Pretty boat Dennis, I like it.

The Bermuda rig had raked masts having evolved from the lateen rig. Here is the Spirit of Bermuda at Dockyards. Note there is only one boom on the aft mast. The other two mast sails have clews on the deck.

XlSodxKHa06tdqAErEyj_cWavLy2Ypcx9RGz52yt

Wow! That's nice.

What do these woodies ( dead vegetation) have to do with steel boats?

#603 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,280 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

My first boat I bought her bare hull, and finished her .My second I built  from scratch to cruising the S Pacific as I have done   with my current boat ,also built from scratch. I have fully detailed many, even  to blasting , flame spraying and painting, some including interior work and engine  work. Bob has done absolutely none of the above.

The difference is that Perry doesn't claim to have "built" dozens of boats with his own hands.

#604 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,303 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

I built a Sunfish clone when I was in high school. It was awful. I got the plans out of Mechanics Illustrated.

I have been way to busy with my design efforts to ever build a boat. Never wanted to. I have always wanted to design. Simple as that. Did Olin Stephen ever build a boat?

BS, we get tired of your BS and rust buckets and from time to time give our eyes a rest with some interesting wooden boats. Most of us here like all kinds of boats. We don't suffer from your myopia. You cannot provide enough new information to keep this thread alive so we augment the content to keep the thread going.

Quit whining.

#605 Autonomous

Autonomous

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:Boats & stuff

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

Bob,

Does a giant octopus have eight testicles?

Ocho huevos. Damn.

#606 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,249 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:25 AM

Bob,

Ocho huevos. Damn.

We're going to need a cookbook.

8995b7b542116dc3136b5d8dd7b1942e.jpg

#607 Autonomous

Autonomous

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:Boats & stuff

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:38 AM

Bob,

Ocho huevos. Damn.

We're going to need a cookbook.

8995b7b542116dc3136b5d8dd7b1942e.jpg

And a bigger frypan...

#608 MikeJohns

MikeJohns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:58 AM

Brent, that 36 is a nice looking boat. Someone did a good job building her.

Thanks!

Much  easier to do, with the totally fair hull to begin with ( which origami building gives one).

Rubbish.  It's not the method, it's the skill, care and diligence of the builder with any form of construction that determines the result.

Aesthetics are butchered with unnecessarily low standards and the result has all the trappings of third world poverty. 

The owner of that dinghy lost it recently, so bought a new Walker bay . When he saw the price of the oars ($240) he said forget it, and went to the lumber yard ,bought some 2x2s, nailed some plastic blades on, ( a type Which he has been using ,from an anchorage , every day, for several years now, with no complaints) and lived happily ever after. He pointed out that the only ones with the fancy oars ,can only afford to use them three weeks a year, given  their obsession of constantly justifying following  only the expensive way of doing things. That way of thinking, on everything  in  a boat, keeps them tied to the dock ,working to make the payments.

Many young people around here could get two months cruising out of  $240, far more fun than having "Stylish oars."

People can make a eyesore that functions or for the same cost make it aesthetically pleasing . The difference is not expense it's just the unwillingness to make any extra effort.

#609 bpm

bpm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:to many to list

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:06 AM

You incorrectly assume that those who have lived aboard a drippy, cold clammy, leaky,  uninsulated plastic boat, (true pieces of shit) would give up their warm, dry, comfortable , well insulated steel boat, just to appease those who don't like us.

What stopped the plastic boat owners from fixing any leaks and/or insulating the boat? A latent desire to spend years building a steel boat in a field?

And if you are interested in knowing the AVS of a Finot design, Brent, maybe you could try emailing them - I don't see them posting here.

Maybe then you can explain how a 30-ish foot steel boat could possibly have a AVS of 165+ degrees. Or is that why you never have taken Tad up on his inclining test offer? You can't do the AVS math yourself, so anything that would show a real number is to be distrusted?

#610 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,303 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:32 AM

"People can make a eyesore that functions or for the same cost make it aesthetically pleasing . The difference is not expense it's just the unwillingness to make any extra effort."

I fully concur Mike.

bpm:

There you go confusing BS with facts. History has show that doesn't work. BS has alternative facts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Steel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users