#1 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • Interests:monthly Social Security check, oil painting, martinis

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:07 AM

I went sailing today on a '97 Hunter that had a molded non-skid deck. I was wearing a pair of old school Sperry Topsiders that are a few years old, but have plenty of tread left. The deck was dry. My footing was really bad on deck and in the cockpit - everywhere. It was like bowling shoes on a bowling alley. Very perplexing. Anyone have a similar experience?

#2 Raz'r

Raz'r

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,105 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:13 AM

I went sailing today on a '97 Hunter that had a molded non-skid deck. I was wearing a pair of old school Sperry Topsiders that are a few years old, but have plenty of tread left. The deck was dry. My footing was really bad on deck and in the cockpit - everywhere. It was like bowling shoes on a bowling alley. Very perplexing. Anyone have a similar experience?

yes, they are much better when the deck is wet for some reason....

#3 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,249 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:31 AM

The soles have probably gone hard. Time to buy some new shoes.

#4 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:12 AM

Yes, this!

#5 GeorgB

GeorgB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

My only pair of topsiders have been like skates on ice since day one.  They look good but i'll never buy another pair.

#6 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

Interesting. I've got some canvas Topsiders but they have not gone hard.

#7 weinie

weinie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

Yes.  When they are new they are great.  I kept an older pair on board as a backup and they are worse than bowling shoes.

Even if it looks like there's tread left.

The last two years i've been using sperry shoes that are more like sneakers or vans.  Much more betterer.  and saferer too.

#8 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

This sounds like a job for Ralph Nader.

#9 Py26129

Py26129

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, the missus and the kids. Not in that order .......maybe!

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

OK, here is a just for run question:  When the soles on Topsiders go hard, are they hard through and though?  Could you take a belt sander to the soles and restore some king of grip?  Inquiring minds........

#10 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,515 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

OK, here is a just for run question:  When the soles on Topsiders go hard, are they hard through and though?  Could you take a belt sander to the soles and restore some king of grip?  Inquiring minds........

i did just that. sanded the soles with 80-grit sandpaper. the traction improved a lot but, of course, it's a temporary fix.

#11 DrewR

DrewR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Porsche, The World, beer, more beer...

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

i did just that. sanded the soles with 80-grit sandpaper. the traction improved a lot but, of course, it's a temporary fix.

I had the opposite experience, belt sanded Sperry's and had no noticible improvement.  And the shoes were only a season old and they weren't the cheap mocassins. Last pair I'll buy.

I used Harkens last season and they seemed to work well.  They still haven't 'hardened' yet so I am hopeful for another season. I was on the boat on the hard this past weekend and it was cold as hell and they worked like a charm. 

#12 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

FWIW, I contacted Sperry, and they said:

The quickest way to resolve the issue is to contact the retailer.  We have return policies in place for such situations. If the retailer takes care of you within their return policy, we take care of them so they are not at a lost for exchanged merchandise. We suggest calling prior to making a special trip. If your original retailer is unable to assist, you may return your product directly to us.  Please provide us with the following information so you can be provided the necessary forms to return your footwear at no cost to you for evaluation. Should the item be deemed defective, we replace in the same size and style.

First and last name
Address (no PO boxes)
Phone Number
Stock number, this is typically 2 letters followed by 5 numbers for example BB12345
US Size and Width
Date and Place of purchase
Specific description of the problem/photo

Should you be in Canada, in addition to the above, please reply back with a clear picture of the underside of the tongue showing the label information and a clear picture of the defect.

Sounds reasonable. I'm going to take them up on it.

#13 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Interests:sail ski

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

Unfortunately they are using cheaper compounds on the sole and there is not as much rubber as there was 15 yrs ago

#14 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

Even the Gold Cup series had been cheapened although the price is still the same

#15 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

Sperry should read this thread.

#16 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

I mentioned some of these issues to them but they really don't care
Most of their product never sees a boat or water for that matter
All about margins

#17 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

You could all save a ton of money and bother by going out and getting a pair of Chucks or Vans.  Lace-up or slip-on, it hardly matters.

I bought way too many pairs of crappy over-priced yacht-racing specific shoes that never lasted and somehow stunk to high hell after half a season. 

#18 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,249 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

Someone told me that wearing sailing shoes on grass (lawn, not dope) made the rubber compound go hard much faster. I don't know how much of that is true, but I have avoided lawns with my latest shoes and they are still soft and flexible. 

#19 Ross

Ross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:07 PM

Someone told me that wearing sailing shoes on grass (lawn, not dope) made the rubber compound go hard much faster. I don't know how much of that is true, but I have avoided lawns with my latest shoes and they are still soft and flexible. 

I would love to understand how that works..

#20 Raz'r

Raz'r

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,105 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

I would love to understand how that works..

Well, keep your sailing shoes dry, duh.....

#21 Py26129

Py26129

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:10 PM

I have a couple of old pairs that I use around the house, including cutting the grass.  I can definitely state that the soles are rock hard and NFG for anything boat related, not even a stroll down the dock.  What I cannot tell is whether this is grass or age related, probably a combination of both

#22 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,249 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

My Sperry Fugawi`s are at least ten years old and the soles are like new. I have never worn them off the boat.

#23 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:47 AM

More from Sperry. The first quote was in response to my product review. This is in response to my email to Sperry customer service:

With age, the soles of our Topsiders can harden, crack, and/or become slippery.  This can happen for several reasons; from leaving the shoes unworn for extended periods of time to the soles coming in contact with harsh chemicals (oil, bleach, etc). We do offer a one year warranty against manufacturing defects.  If your shoes fall under this, we would be more than happy to have your send them in and replace them!

While this is friendly, and an admission of defective soles, it is not quite as generous as the earlier response to my product review (#12):
Attached File  sperry 2017_0106.png   380.1KB   1 downloads
I will be "reaching out to the team."

#24 hobie17li

hobie17li

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:36 AM

Tevas work well as boat shoes. Spider grip soles

#25 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:18 AM

Zero luck here with Sperry and Timberland. They would never leave the boat, but soles would harden and be worthless within two years. Otherwise like new. Switched to water aerobics shoes like Speedo and never looked back. Costco sometimes carries them ($17 last year). Grip is outstanding, they drain well and fit great. When it's a bit cold, and a pair of gortex socks and you are good to go.

#26 Fleetwood

Fleetwood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:Fewer every year

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:25 AM

Boat shoes only serve  one purpose, to stop you stubbing your toes. Otherwise worse than bare feet.....

#27 kinardly

kinardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

My experience is if they have the gum type sole that looks like congealed gelatin, they will dry out and harden in about a year. I've tried sanding them and it only helps a little. Considering what you pay for boat specific shoes it seems extravagant to buy new ones every year and, since I never wear them on the docks or ashore, hardly worth the investment mileage wise. The old canvas Topsiders had a rubber compound that was like a pencil eraser, very soft and self ablating but prone to slipping on dry, dusty decks. Once the decks were wet they were fine but there is very little support from canvas uppers. I may give the Speedo footwear a try but would want to be sure they didn't leave marks. 

The youngsters all tell me the solution is to race barefooted but I've stubbed too many toes on deck hardware. 

#28 shaggybaxter

shaggybaxter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:57 AM

I just went arse over tit on a smooth (dry) plate on the dock wearing Sperry Topsiders, and yep they're 2 yrs old. No warning , just instantly slid as soon as I put weight on.
Heading to chandlery now.....

#29 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:31 AM

I've got some LL Bean deck shoes in my closet that I haven't worn yet. I'll start wearing them and give a report sometime. Of course, we have snow on the ground, so it may be a while.

#30 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:46 AM

My experience is if they have the gum type sole that looks like congealed gelatin, they will dry out and harden in about a year. I've tried sanding them and it only helps a little. Considering what you pay for boat specific shoes it seems extravagant to buy new ones every year and, since I never wear them on the docks or ashore, hardly worth the investment mileage wise. The old canvas Topsiders had a rubber compound that was like a pencil eraser, very soft and self ablating but prone to slipping on dry, dusty decks. Once the decks were wet they were fine but there is very little support from canvas uppers. I may give the Speedo footwear a try but would want to be sure they didn't leave marks. 

The youngsters all tell me the solution is to race barefooted but I've stubbed too many toes on deck hardware.

Year or two ago, Costco had these for $17

Attached File  shoes.jpg   179.47KB   0 downloads

Earlier version had light grey soles, but neither marked decks, including smooth gelcoat with no non-skid. They actually last several years (based on my experience with an earlier version), but for $17 USD, who cares. I regularly sail on 3 different boats and leave a pair on each, plus one I travel with. Bonus, they don't seem to get stinky like the $300 Solomon trail shoes I own.

#31 blunderfull

blunderfull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:05 AM

Just bought my first ever pair (Sea Kite model).   More about looks and the cushy New Balance-like soles with good arch support.

Avoided Topsiders for many years as boat gear for reasons spelled out here - they suck after a while.  Viewed them as something yachties put on after races for drinks and b.s.

Been wearing Aigles, Gill dinghy boots and New Balance.

#32 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:43 AM

My only pair of topsiders have been like skates on ice since day one.  They look good but i'll never buy another pair.

This.

Try Zhik or Musto.

shoe-20-gy-cy-img01.jpg

#33 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:15 PM

Once again, why pay three times more just so your Musto sneakers match the rest of your kit? 

A $30 pair of Vans will do the exact same thing as any sneaker made by a sailing brand.  Moreover, they'll probably last longer. 

#34 Py26129

Py26129

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

Definition of a cleat (or any other deck hardware):  Toestop

#35 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:33 AM

Human soles are amazing. Incredible grip and comfort. But, one exciting moment had me dislocating two toes due to a shroud. Been wearing shoes ever since, but they gotta be compfy any grip like shit.

#36 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:49 AM

Once again, why pay three times more just so your Musto sneakers match the rest of your kit? 

A $30 pair of Vans will do the exact same thing as any sneaker made by a sailing brand.  Moreover, they'll probably last longer. 

Simple, the sniff test...

#37 thinwater

thinwater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, climbing, kayaking

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:50 AM

I suspect sailing is much less than 1% of the Sperry market. I went to the Sperry store at the mall a few years ago and all they stocked were street versions. And the store was busy!

#38 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:38 AM

Simple, the sniff test...

Oh please, that's not the fault of the shoe

#39 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:01 AM

Human soles are amazing. Incredible grip and comfort. But, one exciting moment had me dislocating two toes due to a shroud. Been wearing shoes ever since, but they gotta be compfy any grip like shit.

I only sail barefoot in drifters. Even a clean modern deck has painful shit to bang in to. 

#40 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, SCUBA, anything anyway anyhow to get outdoors

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

I like skateboard shoes for deck shoes. Circa is a good brand. Tough, good grip, non marking, color doesn't bleed when soaked.

Plus I'm the hippest grandpa on the block according to my kids.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users