#101 concerned citizen

concerned citizen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Interests:humans

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:00 PM

Anyone know of any others that might become available sometime soon nearer the east coast than west.

have you sold your j-35 ? 

Is your purchase of the ft10 dependent on first selling your j-35 ?

#102 wbrent

wbrent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:19 PM

Not sold yet. It's a J105. A prospective buyer had it surveyed this weekend. So might lead to something. But yes can't buy anything until current boat is gone.

#103 concerned citizen

concerned citizen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Interests:humans

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:12 AM

Not sold yet. It's a J105. A prospective buyer had it surveyed this weekend. So might lead to something. But yes can't buy anything until current boat is gone.

Let us know when your J/105 sale closes; I may have a lead for a good deal on a freshwater FT10.

#104 RumTumTigga

RumTumTigga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Yachting, funding my yachting, bit of umpiring, travelling to go yachting.

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:01 AM

Here is an action shot of Tigga, the Auckland NZ  FT10 going down Auckland Harbour under reefed main, No4 jib and fractional Gennaker. Breeze was a 30Kt+ SouWesterly off the southern Ocean.Bloody cold.  We were clocking over 20Kt at times.

Attached File  Tigga16July6.jpg   105.69KB   11 downloads

#105 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:13 AM

Go Tigga!

#106 Darkside

Darkside

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:08 AM

Some FT10 fun in the PNW, Round the County 2016:

#107 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:31 AM

Is Tigger doing WIRW?

#108 Darkside

Darkside

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

We want to, but getting full week away from work will be difficult. We are thinking about doing delta ditch.

#109 Darkside

Darkside

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

Day 2 Round the County 2016:

#110 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:34 PM

Ok I'll say it - get rid of those old sails.  Moving to a current generation set will make the boat faster and easier to sail.  Call it a move from Gen 1 (the jib that blew and the dacron main) to gen 3 or 4 from any sailmaker who knows your local conditions.

#111 Darkside

Darkside

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

Yep, already been down that road with the previous boat. It helped a little, but I've found that there are so many more priorities in making the boat fast than jumping into new sails.  A big one is developing an experienced consistent crew.  We've actually won quite a few club races with the current set. The main reason the jib blew up was because we should have been flying the heavy air jib.

#112 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:02 AM

Yep, already been down that road with the previous boat. It helped a little, but I've found that there are so many more priorities in making the boat fast than jumping into new sails.  A big one is developing an experienced consistent crew.  We've actually won quite a few club races with the current set. The main reason the jib blew up was because we should have been flying the heavy air jib.

Nice - great to hear you are on the right track. PM me if you Want to bounce ideas at all. We've had 8 great seasons with #71 - buoys and distance racing. It's been a great boat.

#113 Darkside

Darkside

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

Nice - great to hear you are on the right track. PM me if you Want to bounce ideas at all. We've had 8 great seasons with #71 - buoys and distance racing. It's been a great boat.

Definitely a fun boat for us too, especially when we get other FT10s out. We've had some fun with Anarchy in the last couple races.

#114 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,970 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:45 PM

Glad you guys are enjoying the boat.

#115 Ship o' Fools

Ship o' Fools

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:04 AM

Glad you guys are enjoying the boat.

Bob-

After a boat is built, do you ever give any thought about what you might have done differently?

Looking back now, is there anything you would have done differently with the FT10?

If you think a response might cause a commotion, you can just say "wish it had been offered in more colors."

#116 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,970 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:09 PM

Ship:

Yes, it's kind of an automatic response for me, i.e. what I should have done differently. When a boat is first launched it can be 99% perfect but all I will see for the first few months is the 1% I got wrong. It takes a while for me to warm up to my boats and let that troublesome 1%, maybe it's 5%,  NOT define the boat. Over time the things I did right will overcome the faults. I think the quest for illusive "perfection" is what drives most designers.

If I had the FT 10m to do again I would:

Ignore the cries for headroom and drop the height of the cabin trunk.

Go with twin rudders.

I also would have camped at the boatyard while they refaired the entry to the plumb stem.

#117 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:46 AM

Ship:
Yes, it's kind of an automatic response for me, i.e. what I should have done differently. When a boat is first launched it can be 99% perfect but all I will see for the first few months is the 1% I got wrong. It takes a while for me to warm up to my boats and let that troublesome 1%, maybe it's 5%,  NOT define the boat. Over time the things I did right will overcome the faults. I think the quest for illusive "perfection" is what drives most designers.

If I had the FT 10m to do again I would:
Ignore the cries for headroom and drop the height of the cabin trunk.
Go with twin rudders.

I also would have camped at the boatyard while they refaired the entry to the plumb stem.

+1 on the cabin, but it's a bit on the skinny side for dual rudders isn't it? Or are implying you would widen the ass end too?

Edit: Might also reconsider footrest positions, at least for the driver. I'm 6'2" and never could find that compfy spot. We really needed to flatten the boat, but when heeled, it was just not as compfy as other 10m sporties. No big deal. Still a fantastic boat to sail. Thank you.

#118 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,970 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:21 PM

Varan:

Yes, I would probably carry B max all the way aft.

Not sure about the foot Bensons. I'm 6'3" but I suspect they were a group decision at the yard. The guy running the program at deck plug stage was about 5'6".

#119 Darkside

Darkside

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:57 PM

I'm 6'2" and the bensons are tough on the knees when heeled. Maybe I'll add a beer-holder/middle benson thing I thought I remember seeing somebody do here or have Dan K. do something with raptor deck.

#120 ZeeZee

ZeeZee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:00 AM

Varan:

Yes, I would probably carry B max all the way aft.

Not sure about the foot Bensons. I'm 6'3" but I suspect they were a group decision at the yard. The guy running the program at deck plug stage was about 5'6".

What are the typical trade-offs you need to make in wetter or not to make the transom wider?    Wetted surface/light wind performance vs. early planing vs. upwind performance vs ????

#121 Tarnish

Tarnish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:32 PM

I owned one for four years and there is not much I would change. I always thought the boat was beautiful - even the high cabin trunk. It sailed really well, too. 

I wonder if the benefits of two rudders would be worth the added complexity?

I am not very tall so the footrest positions for the driver were perfect for me. Taller drivers, especially in breeze, would end up sitting with their upper body outside of the top lifeline (the video above shows an example of this). Besides being against the rules (as I understand them) it also usually meant that we were sailing the boat at too high of a heel angle. I wonder if the "European" lifeline set up on the Melges 32 applied to the Tiger would make the driving position more comfortable for taller people? This set up has largely been abandoned by the 32 fleet since it limits how hard the crew can hike off the back of the boat which is not as critical of a necessity on a Tiger. 

#122 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,970 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for that feed back Tarnish. Glad you enjoyed the boat.

#123 port tack

port tack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:12 PM

I would have like a better Keel lifting system.  Similar to the melges systems.  A frame and chain come along just doesn't go with sport boat.  I did enjoy the boat when I had it Bob. 

#124 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:33 PM

BTW, nice job on all the mathematical CE mumbo jumbo... The boat is a pleasure to drive. :)

#125 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:36 AM

+1 on the cabin... +1 on the B Max extending... but a removable underhull rudder would be my pick. Perhaps like the MD35 (tapered box with regular rudder stock/bearings) rather than the more complex (expensive) Melges 32 arrangement. But we're not complaining! We've had 9 years of fast fun... amazing bang for buck. Silencing most if not all of the critics.

#126 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,970 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

Bryce:

An under hull, removable rudder was considered and I was in favor of it but I was outvoted.

#127 Darkside

Darkside

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

I haven't used the original designed rudder, but the Betts rudder has been working great for us. It has a real articulate, responsive feel to it. 

I've ramp launched from the trailer many times now and have never had a problem with the keel hoist. 

The engine hatch is the only other minor issue I've had. It got jammed up a couple races ago. What have other owners done to fix this?

#128 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:56 PM

I put water proof grease in the door track, and only move the door at very slow speeds, like under 2 knots. I also put lock-tite on the hardware as I had a few of the bits get loose in our 1st season. No trouble after that.

#129 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:22 AM

I haven't used the original designed rudder, but the Betts rudder has been working great for us. It has a real articulate, responsive feel to it. 

I've ramp launched from the trailer many times now and have never had a problem with the keel hoist. 

The engine hatch is the only other minor issue I've had. It got jammed up a couple races ago. What have other owners done to fix this?

We had a F/G box made with a slit at the top that slides over the engine cav plate. Original door bolted to the bottom.  The fin at the bottom of the engine leg is bolted to a couple of angles inside the box. It raises and lowers with the engine. Faultless.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users