• Please log in to reply
3193 replies to this topic

#3101 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to far away sailing venues and terrorizing the locals!

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:05 AM

The asym has been the most challenging. Wrapping the lazy sheet around the bulb during a jibe.

If you haven't figured this out yet, switch to inside gybes. The sprit is plenty long to create a generous slot for inside gybes. The lazy sheet is therefore contained and no longer a bulb wrapping hazzard.

#3102 4tied

4tied

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:27 AM

And I'm not ever going to forget!

#3103 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:19 PM

After taking way too long to build hull #296, I finally went sailing in early Aug. Mist has a 155 pound keel and a tin (Dywer DM-5) rig. By no means do I know the ins and outs of sailing a sportboat. I feel no rest when sailing this boat in winds greater than 12 knots. I feel I have been pushing the boat to the limits of the crew (we've experienced many calamities). The asym has been the most challenging. Wrapping the lazy sheet around the bulb during a jibe, getting caught in too much air, on a reach, on a plane, with the rudder retracted too far. On this occasion I was knocked down shortly after jibing the spin in 16ish knots of wind. The mast was in the water and one crew was thrown to leeward. Myself and my 110 pound daughter were on the high side watching at the bulb dance well out of the water. It took awhile (couple a minutes) but the boat finally righted itself, suprizingly we had no inrush of water into the cabin. All in all the boat performed well and I feel I was pushing may luck as I was sooo close to going all the way upside-down.

I missed this post, somehow, Mr. Tied.   Sounds like you had fun!  

Whilst out with my daughter, 108 pounds soaking wet, we noticed the boat was rather spirited in 15+.   We weren't racing, so we just reduced sail area quickly.   (dumped the jib, sailed Main-only for the afternoon).  The boat was still fast and well-mannered.   10+ easily, off the wind at about 135-140 AW.  

Out 3-up with 2 other guys who weighed in around 200 each, we noticed the kite was a easily handled, boat was fast and well-mannered in breeze up to 12.  Didn't see any higher breeze than that, unfortunately.  But the load in the spinn sheet was a quite a bit in 12 kn breeze range, with the kite lead solely to a auto-ratchet block and then to the trimmer's hands.  On my boat, we need to find another way to reduce the load somehow.  I think 18 -20 would be unpleasant with the big kite up and no added relief with mechanical advantage on the strings. 

Any advice would be terrific.  Adding two Barient 27's is probably not what we after here, as a solution  :P

#3104 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:34 PM

I missed this post, somehow, Mr. Tied.   Sounds like you had fun!  

Whilst out with my daughter, 108 pounds soaking wet, we noticed the boat was rather spirited in 15+.   We weren't racing, so we just reduced sail area quickly.   (dumped the jib, sailed Main-only for the afternoon).  The boat was still fast and well-mannered.   10+ easily, off the wind at about 135-140 AW.  

Out 3-up with 2 other guys who weighed in around 200 each, we noticed the kite was a easily handled, boat was fast and well-mannered in breeze up to 12.  Didn't see any higher breeze than that, unfortunately.  But the load in the spinn sheet was a quite a bit in 12 kn breeze range, with the kite lead solely to a auto-ratchet block and then to the trimmer's hands.  On my boat, we need to find another way to reduce the load somehow.  I think 18 -20 would be unpleasant with the big kite up and no added relief with mechanical advantage on the strings. 

Any advice would be terrific.  Adding two Barient 27's is probably not what we after here, as a solution  :P

Add a second ratchet block in line. Sheet from clue goes through a ratchet (on-off switchable) block on stern corner, then runs up to a ratchet (on-off switchable) cheek mid-deck (forward enough to be out of helm's way; back enough to be out of crew's way). Under 8 both ratchets off. Under 15 one ratchet on. Over 15 both on.

That said, if you are getting that much load in the sheet in 12 you are either sailing way to high, have a really heavy boat, or you need to tell your crew to HTFU! My wife doesn't usually complain that the ratchets be on until it's well into the teens, but I suspect that we've got a much better lead for trimming the sheet from the cheek instead of from the primary block.

#3105 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:29 AM

Thanks Glad, sounds like a plan!  

Guy who mentioned about the sheet loads was over 200 pounds....although it was a shy reach and we were pretty loaded up. Once we fell off, no worries, but there are times when you have to push things. Second, midships ratchet sounds like the best bet.

#3106 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:13 AM

Don't know the 550, but at first glance, I would ditch the aft ratchets and if necessary, upsize the mid ratchets. 180 degee bend with an aft ratchet on will ruin your jibe. Tried dual ratchets on an FT10 with zero success. If you are reaching hard and cannot trim more (we never use winches), tell the driver "that's it" and he can drive to it until you find strength for one more pull (using your legs of course). Never had success with aft ratchets.

#3107 sailhmb

sailhmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:40 AM

I use 2 ratchets on the kite sheet for my wife. I upsized the aft block to get more line contact too because I changed to a tapered sheet and the slippery core was going round the block. The larger block held better. The aft blocks are self ratcheting which run free during a jibe. We tried multiple combinations of small, large, switchable, and auto-ratchet until we got what we wanted.

#3108 monsters inc

monsters inc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:I550 hull 239 getting close , Dash 34 anarchy, beer

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

Cheek blocks on stern or soft attach? What size blocks 40, 57 , 70 mm. ? I don't mind sheeting with some force but like to be able to ease trim ease without inducing carpal tunnel. Do the larger blocks have a minimum line size? The websites list only maximum diameters . the difference in price is not that large, but if a 70 mm block will do the job instead of 2 40mm blocks that may influence how my choice of deck rigging is laid out! Anyone?

#3109 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

Cheek blocks on stern or soft attach? What size blocks 40, 57 , 70 mm. ? I don't mind sheeting with some force but like to be able to ease trim ease without inducing carpal tunnel. Do the larger blocks have a minimum line size? The websites list only maximum diameters . the difference in price is not that large, but if a 70 mm block will do the job instead of 2 40mm blocks that may influence how my choice of deck rigging is laid out! Anyone?

40mm are gobs big enough. 30mm are enough.
Stern blocks are standard (I used stand up blocks) soft attach. Cheeks mid deck.

#3110 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

Thanks TG, I'm ordering the 40 cheeks this week.  Do the Harkens flip over or do you need to order both Starboard and Port cheeks?  Knowing Harken, they probably flip with a simple mod.

#3111 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

Thanks TG, I'm ordering the 40 cheeks this week.  Do the Harkens flip over or do you need to order both Starboard and Port cheeks?  Knowing Harken, they probably flip with a simple mod.

We used Ronstan gear on all of the boats we built. Ronstan builds clockwise and anti-clockwise switchable (on/off) ratchets so you need one of each and to put them on the correct sides. Not sure about Harken. Shop around, buy on price... 40mm from any manufacturer will be more than overbuilt for this application. Just make sure you get ones that are easy to turn on and off. I believe the Lewmars use an Allen wrench which isn't very user friendly while racing. We flip ours off during gybes for better sheet run out. The Ronstans can be flipped one handed once you get the technique down.

#3112 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

Speaking of building boats... has Velochity actually delivered a boat yet??

#3113 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:27 PM

I got off FaceFook so haven't been keeping track.  But I don't think so. 

#3114 Jack31415

Jack31415

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:I550, inexpensive sport boats

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

Folks,

First posting to sailing anarchy.  I am exploring buying an i550.  My circumstances don't support building one, sadly.  My sailing history is a lot of displacement boat sailing, some J30 ownership, and some Windmill dinghy racing.   The i550 looks very fun and a trailerable 18' 800 lb boat appeals to me.   Here is my likely use story:

Put the i550 on a commercial mooring in Salem, MA with a suitable hard racing bottom paint on.   Sail it with whoever is foolish enough to say "yes".    As I'm not an active race and I don't even know if there are any boats nearby, my racing would be 

casual at most.

My guess is that the class would be unhappy to have a boat taken out of racing and my way of giving back would be to make it available for suitable loan or you-skipper-I-crew arrangements with any reasonably responsible party.   Maybe a ride-along for people contemplating building one?

I would consider partnering with someone like the gentleman in New Bedford, if he hasn't sold his boat.   I'm 62 and pretty active, bit of an adrenaline junky.    Any i550's looking for a good home?

Jack

P.S. I'm reasonably construction minded, so 90% complete boats are a possibility.

#3115 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

Jack, don't worry about the class stuff, removing a boat from class competitipn, etc.  Not a worry. Just sailing the boat is a blast and not really that demanding physically, given decent hiking straps and bensons for the feets.  I'm going to be 65 this year (going on 25 :-) and so far the boat has not been too punishing (AS LONG AS THE KEEL LIFT works ok--which mine doesn't, but will).   But on a mooring, that wouldn't be too much of an issue.  Also, if you have some coin, check out Geoff's outfit building boats in Canada at Velocity Boatworks (on Facebook). Not sure how close they are to offering a completed boat, but worth contacting.  

And yes, there will be adrenaline.  

Check out the class site at: http://i550class.org/

I think there is still a boat for sale there...can't remember.   At any rate, it is a low-cost entry into a well-mannered little boat that goes really nicely, is fun to tinker with and definitely smokes off the wind.  

#3116 monsters inc

monsters inc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:56 AM

Hey jack, you can build the boat easily. Just start. Buying one is great, but if it's you that builds it, well it's gotta be faster than the other ones.....

#3117 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:i550 SportBoat & VELOCITY 7.1 Sailing. Building. Finish carpenter by trade cabinet maker. Built boats in the past.

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:22 PM

I have not been on SA, due the fact that I don't find it all that productive for the i550 itself.

After I address the question at hand, I won't be back on.

I am very close to having the first ordered boat ready to go.
Do to an unforseen issue with my Chondrosarcoma Cancer, to which I had previously lost my femur, hip, hip socket & most of pelvis on my right side just 4 years ago, this cancer has metastasis to my lungs, which unfortunately took me away from the construction of the production i550 SportBoat for a period of time. A person was hired to take my place, but later was found to not be as experienced as he said he was, which ended up causing further delays.

I am now back and very soon the 1st Production i550 will be finished, with others to follow after that.

I post to our Velocity BoatWorks page on Facebook.

Our website is www.velocityboatworks.com

My email is geoff@velocityboatworks.com

If anyone has any questions, please email me.

I hope this clears up things.

Cheers
Geoff

#3118 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for the update, Geoff!  Hang tough, man & keep on fighting!

#3119 TBone

TBone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:12 AM

Your fortitude is exemplary, Geoff.
Godspeed with your journey

#3120 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428 Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:26 AM

Geoff has quietly shown singular determination with this "raison du vivre" (pardon the spelling if its wrong), speaking about his enthusiasm and belief in this small boat during our conversations over 3 years. His dedication is remarkable. He has my admiration.

#3121 GIBY

GIBY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

I have a broken Viper640 carbon rig if any I550 guys are interested.  It's broken right at the spreaders.  Would work great as a boom or spin pole.  There are a couple of guys that have even sliced these things back together.

PM me and we can chat if you're interested.

Cheers!

#3122 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428 Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

I am gearing up to pour a ballast bulb. I've a safe stable set up, sometimes I worry about safety of the setups used.  Is anyone else interested.

#3123 monsters inc

monsters inc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:07 AM

Are you building one for yourself?

#3124 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:54 AM

So, five sold in the lower mainland and four on the Isl. Any sailing yet?

#3125 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

Yes, building one for myself. I am shaping the plug on the lathe. symmetrical, about a 63-00xx or 64-00xx section, 150 lbs. minimum 3.5" cross section to keep within the rule. I think that since the Brett Murray LCG bulb has a cross section greater than 6 inches at about 34" in length that my bulb plug will easily be fatter than 3.5". Also my lathe will accommodate about 38" between centers so that will be a limiting factor and determine max diameter. 

T

#3126 monsters inc

monsters inc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:02 AM

I used a lathe for my bulb pattern, worked great. Bulb weight was 160# before drilling for mounting bolts from the stock drawing. My boat is sealed in glass epoxy and I am working on the keel and rudder mounts before I paint it. There is another island I550 at Royal Vic , that sailed last summer. I haven't caught up with them yet , but others have told me it sails in their fleet races

#3127 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:15 AM

There is another island I550 at Royal Vic , that sailed last summer. I haven't caught up with them yet , but others have told me it sails in their fleet races

Royal Vic?!? WTF?? Where in the hell did that boat come from?!?
The PDX mafia is ready for another road trip to terrorize the locals!

#3128 monsters inc

monsters inc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

Not quite ready for a launch yet, but would enjoy entertaining the portlandian fleet any time

#3129 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Hey, I forgot to tell all y'all that I have the beavertail plug, if anyone wants it.  Stealth spent a lot of coin to send it back to the USA from Singapore.  PM me if you are interested.  I also have a turkey fryer (I think...have to check, it's possible the spousal-unit got rid of it) and some rolls of sandpaper and a longboard too if anyone is building and wants it.  I'll take a picture of all this stuff and you guys can decide.  

Sorry for the late notice.

#3130 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,377 posts
  • Interests:reminiscing,, and bugging Gouv <;-]

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:06 AM

....really?  Id be interested in some details if a local fleet is forming.

#3131 Sarc

Sarc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

Time to get 'Team cobbled i550' back together?

#3132 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,377 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:25 AM

Time to get 'Team cobbled i550' back together?

...you talking 'bout my knees Laddy?   :mellow:       <_<

#3133 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

I think the post was referring to plans sold and boats possibly in the build phase and NOT fiberglass boats from velocity.

As far as I know for BC there is just one fiberglass boat on order going to Deep Cove YC that was promised in spring of 2015 and is yet to be delivered.  The rest are just plan sets.  If there's any info to the contrary please post as we need to get the race circuit figured out for this summer!

#3134 monsters inc

monsters inc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

Send out the itinerary, I will try to meet the 550 in royal Vic and pass them some info. If there are any regattas around puget sound area, I may head down for a look....

#3135 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,377 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

...Heck, there'd be a series in Vancouver if 'by the lee' wasn't talking out his ear. <;~\

#3136 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:10 PM

Y'all are having way too much fun. 

#3137 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:07 PM

Cutting some new foil delrins and doing quite a shitty job of it  ;)

Attached File  Delrin Keel guide.jpg   384.28KB   0 downloads

too much rake

#3138 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,377 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

Cutting some new foil delrins and doing quite a shitty job of it  ;)

attachicon.gifpost-768-0-91547300-1489270032_thumb.jpg

too much rake

...at least it doesn't look like it'll be difficult to remove the rake.    :mellow:

#3139 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:00 PM

...Heck, there'd be a series in Vancouver if 'by the lee' wasn't talking out his ear. <;~\

Ear? I doh'n need no stinkin' ear! 

https://www.google.c...Ov-dhvw3l4o&z=6

#3140 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,377 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:21 PM

...lol,,mebbe eyes then.    The blue dots represent plansets sold.   :rolleyes:

#3141 monsters inc

monsters inc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

Not sure what colour my pin should be, but I mounted the rudder Pintles and chain plates today, among other things, colour me red , I guess. While I have a chance , how much paint is needed to cover the sides ,cockpit and decks?

#3142 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

And plansets turn into boats, eh?

#3143 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:56 AM

Uhhhh not very often... Eh

#3144 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,377 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

Uhhhh not very often... Eh

......I'd estimate ~4-6% ?

,,,,,,,, how much paint is needed to cover the sides ,cockpit and decks?

......two coats should do it.      :)

#3145 4tied

4tied

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

Can someone turn my dot green? Mist, Hull 296, Suffolk VA

#3146 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:28 PM

your dot has just turned green sir. 

#3147 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:41 PM

I am counting up the floating boats I know of. Every once in a while someone will send us a note about their boat mentioning that they have been enjoying it for 2 summers. so to the best of my knowledge: 605 plansets.  Boats; 20 in NA, 8 in AUS, 3 Russia,

5 Croatia, 1 Brasil, 1 Singapore, 1 turkey, 2 Canada.

41 that I know of. 

#3148 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,377 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

.....6.7%,,,not a bad guess :rolleyes:  

...is Canada not part of NA anymore?   ;)

#3149 4tied

4tied

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:00 AM

Timber,

Yah! Thank you! -Mist

#3150 monsters inc

monsters inc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:33 AM

It would be interesting to know how many lightning ,star , bluejay, Merlin, etc plan sets turned into hulls. My guess is that the percentage hasn't changed much over the years.

#3151 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,377 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

It would be interesting to know how many lightning ,star , bluejay, Merlin, etc plan sets turned into hulls. My guess is that the percentage hasn't changed much over the years.

I wouldn't be surprised if 6.7% compares favorably overall

#3152 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:11 AM

From a post #2884 back in Sept 2015:

Squirrel,  

A few updates to research for the map. 

#172  Wild Child has been sold and moved to Detroit MI with #557,

#281  Hot Canary is on loan to Bill in St Petersburg ,FL (Murray Yacht)  (for sale)

#286  Slight Barbaric moved from Maine to San Diego back to Charleston SC.  (long Road Trip)

#573  Warren has started his build in Boutilier’s Point NS Canada

#19    The Edge splashed on Lake Pymatuning Aug 2nd 2012   (low number completed)

#87     As noted Tim is all wet……  Congrats.

#336   Has changed hands twice-  Chris NC to Joe FL to Ben in Savannah GA  (Dumpster Dive)

#231  Chad’s Knot Racing is racing.  Got wet about two years ago.

#129  Jeff sold the boat to James Nichols in I think Nashville.  Everglade Challenge.

#74    Pipe Dream is/was for sale

#108  Lunatic Fringe sold to someone near Chicago area????

#350  Lee moved to San Fran and has splashed Okey Lah Sept 2014

#        Monster Inc as started  (Cobble Hill BC Canada)

#472  Matt has gotten Honey wet.  March 2014

#550  Time Machine goes from no pin to green pin

#437  Big Bad Wolf splashed in Singapore

#        Des Clark in Hobart TAZ  For Sale  http://www.gumtree.c...boat/1085480883

#401  Steve  For Sale TAZ    http://www.gumtree.c...boat/1087606830

#3153 TexLex

TexLex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

Not sure how I got dropped off the map but Peregrine, Hull #030 is STILL under construction in Houston.  :rolleyes:

Chris

http://i550peregrine.blogspot.com/

#3154 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

Chris,
On our map, Peregrine is still in Houston, still red. Maybe it's a browser issue?
Jon,
Thanks for the repeat of your updates. I still have the original, but help is always appreciated.
Obviously we are still behind on the map and I am working on a new website. I finallyhad a major surgery in July and am still dealing with breathing and neuro
complications. Tim had kidney surgery last month. Not excuses, just realities of liferight now. The map is the first priority. Even if I could find a kind soul to help usout with the map, I need first to compile all the info into an understandable format.
Again, thanks for your patience. Best way to communicate changes is to email us at
i550watershed@yahoo.com.
I know you builders in Antarctic are getting chilly!
Latest plan set is #611 in Northern Ireland.
Thanks & Cheers,
Susan

#3155 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

Yes, building one for myself. I am shaping the plug on the lathe. symmetrical, about a 63-00xx or 64-00xx section, 150 lbs. minimum 3.5" cross section to keep within the rule. I think that since the Brett Murray LCG bulb has a cross section greater than 6 inches at about 34" in length that my bulb plug will easily be fatter than 3.5". Also my lathe will accommodate about 38" between centers so that will be a limiting factor and determine max diameter. 

T

Timber,  Now that you have started a build, when will your pin color change to red?   Also your building the i550 #42, moose and squirrel blog may have been hijacked. Remember, without posted pics it did not happen.

#3156 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

I was referring to just the bulb build. I will turn a symmetrical shape on the lathe and measure its volume with the water displacement method of determining final weight in lead of 150 lbs.

As to the moose and squirrel hijack I think it was Boris and Natasha following the orders from fearless leader. 

#3157 PhattAss

PhattAss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

I am counting up the floating boats I know of. Every once in a while someone will send us a note about their boat mentioning that they have been enjoying it for 2 summers. so to the best of my knowledge: 605 plansets.  Boats; 20 in NA, 8 in AUS, 3 Russia,

5 Croatia, 1 Brasil, 1 Singapore, 1 turkey, 2 Canada.

41 that I know of. 

1 South Africa hull 535 launched 2016

#3158 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:35 AM

Sorry Deon A flub of epic proportions. does that make me a Phatass?

#3159 PhattAss

PhattAss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

:D

#3160 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:20 AM

As mentioned above, I have the beeve.  Anyone building a bulb is welcome to use it and pass it along.  It's like a tradition, or something.

Attached File  TheBeev1.jpg   394.08KB   4 downloads  Attached File  TheBeev2.jpg   434.17KB   4 downloads

#3161 Laker

Laker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

Sorry Deon A flub of epic proportions. does that make me a Phatass?

Dare I say, a great name for an i550.

#3162 revintage

revintage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Vespa

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:58 PM

As mentioned above, I have the beeve.  Anyone building a bulb is welcome to use it and pass it along.  It's like a tradition, or something.

attachicon.gifTheBeev1.jpg  attachicon.gifTheBeev2.jpg

Hey Time,

Isnt´t there a real cad file for this, to program a CNC router? 

#3163 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

I don't know!  In all honesty, I've forgotten who designed The Beeve.   Someone will chime in...maybe it was Chad?   At any rate, I don't have files, sorry!

In other news, looks like there will be at least two boats at Screwpile this summer.  Come on, east-coasters, think about it.  

#3164 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:38 AM

Brett Murrie designed the bulb at Tokyo's request.
Brett is a naval architect in Brisbane with a real working business and a web page.
I think a fund for rum was kicked about at one point by a couple of us punters but not completed.
I have the PDF if any of the cult wants a copy.
T

#3165 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:47 AM

The original bulb design has a pointed tail and making the flat beaver tail versions was documented on Chad's blog.  

Attached File  -80kgbulbprelim2 (1).jpg   21.01KB   7 downloads

#3166 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:06 PM

Hey Dawg, why not trailer that thing up to Solomons in July?  

6-7 hr drive to infinite fun!

My crew (I hope they read this) is skeptical I can get the boat there intact and race ready.  They don't know me.

Hell, I dont even know me.   And I'm glad.

#3167 revintage

revintage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Vespa

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:04 AM

Thanks Dawg,

Found the info in Chads blog. No cad-files though. The bulbprelim2-pic(nice shape) seems taken from a 3D-program though.

#3168 Rajinder

Rajinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:03 PM

My crew (I hope they read this) is skeptical I can get the boat there intact and race ready.  They don't know me.

Oh Pooh-bah, perhaps knowing they are as am I that i550 boats are very breaking easy to me.  The keel is so small and light I can carry easily to the boss man but only receive a small roti it for.

I am Rajinder, breaker of boats.  I can break that.

#3169 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:50 AM

Oh Pooh-bah, perhaps knowing they are as am I that i550 boats are very breaking easy to me.  The keel is so small and light I can carry easily to the boss man but only receive a small roti it for.

Rajinder!  Look at you writing in (rather bad) English!  God bless your slum-dog little heart.

The keelbox has been shredded and I just need to pop in some slippery delrins and we are good to go.  So be patient my small, sub-moronic, little friend. 

Oh and, 

बेकार इंसान

#3170 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:17 AM

yea, what he said

#3171 stealth

stealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:01 AM

The original bulb design has a pointed tail and making the flat beaver tail versions was documented on Chad's blog.  

attachicon.gif-80kgbulbprelim2 (1).jpg

I'm sure if you have that drawing in cad format it can be updated to the beeve design.

#3172 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:05 PM

Brett Murrie  Low Center of Gravity ballast for the i550

first leading four sections are 25 mm (1 inch) each, the remainder are 50 mm. Attached File  80kg-bulb.pdf   19.56KB   22 downloads

#3173 Rajinder

Rajinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:39 PM

Rajinder!  Look at you writing in (rather bad) English!  God bless your slum-dog little heart.

The keelbox has been shredded and I just need to pop in some slippery delrins and we are good to go.  So be patient my small, sub-moronic, little friend. 

Oh and, 

बेकार इंसान

Sahib, I know not how to read or write but I do know how to break boats.  I also a little know how to sail from those boats with the training wheels.  I would be glad to come to the land of the Solomons in July.  My land is hot and muggy and has no wind so the Solomons land will be a great improvement, yes Sahib?  If I could find just one more boat please to break I would have the money to come and sail with you and eat beerdidclams in the cool and balmy Solomons breezes.

मुझे तुमसे मोहब्बत है

#3174 BaikalPeter

BaikalPeter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:fast sailing

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:39 AM

Hope somebody finds that useful....

Also contains a bonus - a 100 kg bulb

The file has patterns for making a plywood full size model (to be filled with foam or whatever)

Please note:

80 kg bulb - all frames are 4 mm thick, backbone is 12 mm

100kg bulb - all parts are 9 mm.

DXF has theoretical lines too, sort of.

Both 80 and 100 kg version had been produced, both used on i550s...

Attached Files

#3175 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:rum, boats, And going fast

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:40 AM

I have built a plug of the 80kg bulb, we are using it on the Leech650. It is two halves which I then popped a glass mould off of and bolted it together and put it in a sand box. I have put a post up on the i550 Facebook page .

On another note what is the point of the beaver tail being added to the original bulb design? It just looks like pure drag to me?

#3176 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

Beavers became popular back around 2010.  I know knot why.   Something to do with something.

I think they look cute.  But I don't have one.  

Breaker, that's funny as hell...the Hindi and the sig.

#3177 rantifarian

rantifarian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:01 AM

Something to do with tip vortices forming off the pin tail. The small beaver tail disrupts them, and is also easier to fair straight than a needle tip

#3178 stealth

stealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

Something to do with tip vortices forming off the pin tail. The small beaver tail disrupts them, and is also easier to fair straight than a needle tip

Even by adding winglets to the breve tail will it improve the performance. Here Wild Oats' modified beaver bulb.
https://www.google.c...iact=mrc&uact=8

#3179 TBone

TBone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

The Antrim 27 bulb sported a beaver tail 20 years ago.
Nothing new here

#3180 Rajinder

Rajinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

Beavers became popular back around 2010.  I know knot why.   Something to do with something.

I think they look cute.  But I don't have one.  

Breaker, that's funny as hell...the Hindi and the sig.

There are no beavers on your boat?  That makes me so sad Sahib.

The Antrim 27 bulb sported a beaver tail 20 years ago.
Nothing new here

I am Rajinder; breaker of boats.  I can break that.

Even by adding winglets to the breve tail will it improve the performance. Here Wild Oats' modified beaver bulb.
https://www.google.c...iact=mrc&uact=8

I can not break that Wild Oats thing.  They break it so fast it can not even finish a race anymore.  It would never make it here for me to break but send the crew if they like Roti.  We have jobs for them.

#3181 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:41 AM

Rajinder, my tiny, troglodytic friend, I am sure you have many skills that can be successfully utilized on a variety of boats.  I have 31 feet of carbon fiber tube that needs UV protection.  I'm sure you are a master with a spray can or a paint brush.  I'm sure you know how to put a bloodworm on a number 1/0 hook (which would make you a masterbaiter).  I can find something for you to do.

IN other news, it looks like maybe sorta the first east coast i550-thon might maybe be coming along this summer to coincide with a Total Eclipse Of The Sun somewhere in the lower reaches of the Atlantic coast.  

Details to emerge....

#3182 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,377 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:53 PM

............it looks like maybe sorta the first east coast i550-thon might maybe be coming along this summer to coincide with a Total Eclipse Of The Sun somewhere in the lower reaches of the Atlantic coast.  

Details to emerge....

...you're gonna schedule a race on a total solar eclipse??      this should be good.   :mellow:

#3183 Rajinder

Rajinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:13 PM

Rajinder, my tiny, troglodytic friend, I am sure you have many skills that can be successfully utilized on a variety of boats.  I have 31 feet of carbon fiber tube that needs UV protection.  I'm sure you are a master with a spray can or a paint brush.  I'm sure you know how to put a bloodworm on a number 1/0 hook (which would make you a masterbaiter).  I can find something for you to do.

IN other news, it looks like maybe sorta the first east coast i550-thon might maybe be coming along this summer to coincide with a Total Eclipse Of The Sun somewhere in the lower reaches of the Atlantic coast.  

Details to emerge....

Pede poena claudo, Sahib.  A cutting torch is my best friend.  But if insists you, learn new skills can I to assist in your problems of crabs and beavers. 

............it looks like maybe sorta the first east coast i550-thon might maybe be coming along this summer to coincide with a Total Eclipse Of The Sun somewhere in the lower reaches of the Atlantic coast.  

Details to emerge....

...you're gonna schedule a race on a total solar eclipse??      this should be good.   :mellow:

Oh Buddha it is often said that sail I like blind am I so it will matter not.  The matter is what means Sahib about 1/0 hookers and blow and palaces of stars 5.

Will you a boat bring?  Because I can break that...

हम शाहिब की अध्यक्षता करते हैं

#3184 Third Reefer Grin

Third Reefer Grin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:47 PM

Love the Hindi love - peace siggy, soo Abu!

#3185 Laker

Laker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

I've got to say Rajinder that I am finding your "schtick" to be more than slightly racist.

#3186 Rajinder

Rajinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

No offense intended and more harmless than that which you voted for my wayward PA soul.  The only race referenced is Screwpile whatever that strange offensively named thing might be, so back to PA with you please kind Sir. 

Or if you wish to go sailing I can break your boat too Sahib.

I am a breaker of boats and I can break that!

मैं स्क्रूपिल रेगेटा करना चाहता हूं

#3187 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:59 PM

Mr. Rajinder doesn't have a "racist" bone in his body.  OK, maybe his one of his Phalanges once made a comment that could be considered anti-muslim (political joke - those of you in the PNW who probably won't understand it).  

At any rate, the man can break some boats.  I have seen him do it.  

And yeah, Couch, a race during an total goddam eclipse.  You got a prob with that? :P   (I think the eclipse is later in the day toward the evening in SC, 'smatter of fact)

स्क्रॉल, हमें उन्हें विनियमित करना होगा

#3188 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

Columbia has been scheduled for 2:42 pm local time (total 2'36") and Charleston is about 2:47 pm (on the edge total ~<1').

As for the nice bone crusher, a visit to SC would teach him the finer points of Southern Hospitality.  Just saying when the lights go out, watch out for BUBBA.    

#3189 Rajinder

Rajinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:34 PM

मैं उनकी दवाओं के पक्ष में हूँ

Am I right in thinking that a bubba is not like a buddha, Sahib?

The week last was slow; nothing was broken.  Except possibly for one of my distals.

Is this dark place different than the place of many screws?

#3190 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:19 AM

I need to apply new UV protection for my carbon fibre mast and boom and prod.  Anyone have any recommendations for white paint? I'm too lazy and burnt out to think about it.  I used a clear-coat last year and it didn't last.

कील कि स्लाइड आसान मुझे गर्म बनाने के लिए

#3191 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Skiing, Rock Climbing, Palindromic Prime Numbers, Blues Guitar, and the most fascinating person on earth - my Wife.

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

Gold leaf them. You'll stand out in a crowd.

#3192 monsters inc

monsters inc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

Okay, last year( or more maybe ) the carbon stick snapped on a boat entered in the delta ditch, in a mere 40 knots of wind. Now your clear coat is peeling. I am really thankful that I have an aluminum viper rig. These carbon masts are obviously a fad and has no redeeming value in the sailing world... Although I did use it on my keel foil, so I guess I need to know how to protect it as well. I was thinking of starting with west systems barrier 420 additive ,then I will be deciding on clear or inter protect . Hate to cover up that CF though.

#3193 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

I think I'm going to go with Cruisin's suggestion of using gold leaf.  It's cheap, it's light weight and it's flashy.  I have heard that "chicks dig it."

So yeah.  Good call, CL.

#3194 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,377 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

I think I'm going to go with Cruisin's suggestion of using gold leaf.  It's cheap, it's light weight and it's flashy.  I have heard that "chicks dig it."

So yeah.  Good call, CL.

....sounds good,,, yer'll fit roight in  :)

hqdefault.jpg

.....try some clear two part polyurethane,,, shouldn't peel or flake ..........unless yer don't prep it roight.  :mellow:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users