27 replies to this topic

#1 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:54 PM

Allright I finally need some new foul weather gear (big boat, near shore and offshore racing in Lake Michigan mostly) but I am not sure what to get. The budget is limited so the top of the line stuff is out. Also, I like Musto gear but that is even more expensive than Gill or Henri Lloyd.

What does the SA band of experts think? Best place for good prices?

I'm willing to wait until after Christmas if I can get a better deal.

#2 O30_OldSchool

O30_OldSchool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Interests:Olson 30, beachcats, anything fast.

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:32 AM

Good deal already...

http://ca.binnacle.c...roducts_id=7152

It is not for sale on their US site, but it is on the CAN site, so you might have to do some talking to get the good rate.

#3 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:33 AM

I have been using both Gill and Henri Lloyd for years. Both produce good products. I use the Gill Key West jacket for cruising and off shore. I have Henri Lloyd salopettes and inshore smock. I expect I will be getting the HL offshore collared smock for the Bermuda race.
Both are decent quality manufacturers. No need to go to Musto, way overpriced for no real gain.

#4 tomtriad

tomtriad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

You might want to check the Hats Off to Gill Customer Service thread which started last week. I'll repost my comment here for the sake of expediency:

Great customer service, lousy gear.

My almost-new replacement for OS2 full set which I received in July leaked in light rain/drizzle when I was frostbiting Saturday in Boston for 3 hours - my arms were soaking wet - and this was not from intrusion up the cuff. Legs/seat were also damp.

This is the 5th full replacement since original purchase in 2001, having worked my way up from Key West (initial purachase, replaced twice) to Atlantic (paid for upgrade), to OS2 (they upgraded me at no additional cost). To say the least I am disappointed with the gear.

Customer service is great; they always replace or repair my gear, usually within a month. The problem is with the seams, even though they are fully taped, and with the fabric which doesn't hold up over time (2 years).

#5 krash

krash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

One of the things I learned in the business is that there are three components to foul weather gear design - breathable, durable, and affordable - you can only have two out of three.

Breathable + Affordable = Won't last

Durable + Affordable = Doesn't breath

Breathable + Durable = Not cheap

#6 Winever

Winever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:38 PM

I did mast last weekend in 50 degrees mostly steady rain, wind 10 kts and under. I have a Henri smock and the pull on type pants. Pants were soaking on the outside, I was dry and warm inside with some medium layering, poly underwear and socks. Had no leaks. Under the top I had rash guard and then preserver over the smock. Again warm and dry till be temp dropped into 40's, then added fleece vest. For this inshore racing I'll stay with Henri its working good for me. Cheers, Winever.

#7 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:48 PM

Skip the Gill. Skip the Hank. Musto MPX period.

MS

#8 RickM

RickM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

Try Atlantis Aegis line. www.atlantisweathergear.com You'll love it.

#9 tiptonav

tiptonav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Blowing things up with my mind, making carbon into anything and everything I can in an attempt to have an indestructible house.

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:14 AM

only problem I've ever had with Gill was my original keelboat racer jacket had the drawstring at the bottom pull out. No waterproofing issues though and they replaced it for free with the new style.

#10 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

What kind of sailing booties do you guys like?

#11 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:16 PM

Between the Gill and Henri Lloyd there is little comparison - HL is pretty decent gear - Gill is shite (although they do replace their shite with new shite when it breaks). IMHO - Musto is definitely worth the premium (although it may be out of yourr price range as you stated) and you can sometimes find some very good deals that could put them into your reach.

One of the things I learned in the business is that there are three components to foul weather gear design - breathable, durable, and affordable - you can only have two out of three.

Isn't that the truth!

#12 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:17 PM

The ones firmly planted in your nuts............................................you really walked right in to that one

#13 <deleted user>

<deleted user>

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:07 PM

aigle

#14 Darrel J

Darrel J

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:30 PM

Recently bought my son some Navis gear online(ebay). Seems pretty decent for what I paid. Haven't used it long enough to give a definitive opinion though. Its orange and we all know orange is FAST.
DJ

#15 Chopes

Chopes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:03 PM

I'm going to day neither and invite you to re-direct your attention to Helly Hansen and Mustang...

#16 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:16 AM

I'm going to day neither and invite you to re-direct your attention to Helly Hansen and Mustang...

I bought an HH jacket brand new at the beginning of the season. The first time I wore it I thought it was the bees knees. Second time too. Third time, I thought maybe I was hallucinating that my arms were wet. I drive, so I know I wasn't working too hard ;)

Then in the middle of the season - a couple of months, tops, I was supposed to do a double-hand race. Put on the HH, walked to get the sandwiches and back, about 15 minutes, and was soaked through. Wrote to HH that day to find out what I could do to restore the waterproofing, never heard one damn word. The design flaw was that the flaps on the jacket had velcro that caught on the shoulders and sleeves. The more it caught, the more easily it caught. completely tore up the fabric. And this wasn't a cheap jacket either. I was going to buy a gill Key West, but then my wife surprised me with a couple of HL jackets for Christmas -- can't wait to try them out.

I will never buy an HH jacket again - between the quality of the product and the nonexistent customer service, it's overpriced crap.

#17 Shipstores

Shipstores

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

Nice one Krash. Like it.

#18 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

Try Atlantis Aegis line. www.atlantisweathergear.com You'll love it.

I just got these today for this weekend. I'll report in after the Jag in 25kts and 45 degrees F (forecast for Sun).

Nice one Krash. Like it.

+ 1

#19 GSpot

GSpot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

I've been pretty disappointed with the Gill gear I've had -- it wears out much faster than it really should given the price. I now have Henri Lloyd foulies which are two years old and still perfectly watertight.

#20 Sharpend

Sharpend

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:24 AM

Both Harken and Ronstan have gear available that is very good for inshore/regatta/overnight racing.
The Ronstan dinghy smocks are excellent for anything short of 24hr plus or offshore.
Harkens' new salopette the same. For $100 ea, far better the buy new cheaper gear every 2 years and not trash $1000 kit.

For offshore - Fastnet, Sydney or Melb Hobart, Newport/Bermuda - buy Musto or HL - its safety equipment.

The Gill Offshore kit, I found does not have the durability to justify the price nor the discount over the other two to justify the slim savings,

Helly Hansen - even worse - will not last at all.

#21 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded Sailing
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

+ Musto it is.

#22 Sebyseb

Sebyseb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Rhum, roots reggae, chicks and not breaking boats.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

+ Musto it is.

same here.
I have been wet for years and got some MPX, never looked back.

#23 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

+ Musto it is.

same here.
I have been wet for years and got some MPX, never looked back.

Over the last 3-5 years we have had both Gill and Henri Lloyd. Both give in after some time use. When we finally got back to Musto I was warm and dry again. It was my wife's choice to "try something else". Sadly I gave in.

Find a sale or outlet they will give you a good price. Nothing else come close to Musto MPX or HPX.

#24 march

march

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

I have used it all, and Gill and Henri Llloyd are pretty comparable from a quality and performance standpoint. Customer service, though is night and day. Gill stands by their products and replaces what is defective or probably not defective but making the customer unhappy. Henri Lloyd won't stand by anything.

Performance wise, Musto is a step up and I've always had good luck with Gull stuff if you can find it. Especially offshore gear, those two have been fantastic.

#25 HKG1997

HKG1997

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

i have recently bought some Gull gear and so far it has been good, especially for the price (only $170 for the jacket) i have had it out in 40 plus knots two weeks in a row and it was fine.

#26 fidd

fidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

Recently purchased a Henri Lloyd Ventura jacket that has been awesome so far. Definitely a step up from any Gill jackets I've owned in the past. I also have a Gill bib that has lasted five seasons so far and is still doing the job well (that includes 2 yrs on SF Bay where they were worn every day).

#27 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

Nothing feels as good as a new jacket or sailing outfit. The test of time comes after months or a year sailing and 2000-3000+ miles of distance. Put the jacket on at night after your last wet watch. Is it still the same good jacket? Are you still dry? Is the zipper still working after 200+ days at sea?

My experience is that Musto is the only make that keep me dry long term.

#28 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

I have both, though in fairness my Gill foulies are not breathable and my Henri-Lloyd foulies are Gore-Tex and of course more expensive. I got a great deal on the HL foulies at a Strictly Sail show (I think Crowley's was the vendor), but that was years ago. My HL foulies have been wonderful through many racing seasons including several Chicago-Mac races and several 2-4 day regattas out east in salt water. I would not skimp on good foulies unless you only use them for short periods, like just long enough to come back in. If you need to depend on them for hours or days, the good stuff is money very well spent IMO...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users