J35 Anarchist

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#401 J35M8

J35M8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Fast, Sailing Faster and Faster!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

L,
Thanks for organizing and to Columbia Yacht Club for hosting again. It was nice to chat with the few skippers who were there!

Website needed a swift kick in the pants and is now alive again!

Western Great Lakes Fleet - Owners Meeting Saturday January 26, 11am CST @ Columbia Yacht Club. This is Strictly Saill weekend so come to Chicago for the meeting and the show!

Anybody know what is up with www.j35.org Appears to be dead.

oh Yeah and BUMP!

#402 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, boating, automobiles, diving, Big Ten Sports, Sailing

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

L,
Thanks for organizing and to Columbia Yacht Club for hosting again. It was nice to chat with the few skippers who were there!

Western Great Lakes Fleet - Owners Meeting Saturday January 26, 11am CST @ Columbia Yacht Club. This is Strictly Saill weekend so come to Chicago for the meeting and the show!

oh Yeah and BUMP!

Thanks! Yes Website is up and running again. Unfortunately it appears that for the first time in 28 years there will be no North American Championship Regatta for the J/35's in 2013. That is too bad.

NA's will return in 2014 to the Western Great Lakes Fleet! Venue will be Muskegon Yacht Club, Dates TBD but looking at August 21-24th

#403 Get Her Done

Get Her Done

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

L,

oh Yeah and BUMP!

Thanks! Yes Website is up and running again. Unfortunately it appears that for the first time in 28 years there will be no North American Championship Regatta for the J/35's in 2013. That is too bad.

NA's will return in 2014 to the Western Great Lakes Fleet! Venue will be Muskegon Yacht Club, Dates TBD but looking at August 21-24th

Why not make Aug. 31-Sept. 2 in Annapolis, the 2013 J/35 NA's? It's already organized and it's called Annapolis Race Week. Great race committee and a pretty decent regatta party each afternoon right on City Dock, Naptown. Just a thought.

#404 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

or come for CBYRA Race week and leave your boat here for the fall. There are several fun races/regattas to be had in September - October. Annapolis to Oxford, AYC Fall series which includes a medium distance race and a weekend of w/l's, and the J35 Mid Atlantic/Chesapeake/Intergalactic Championships

#405 Get Her Done

Get Her Done

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Excellent idea. You can see the whole schedule here in fact.

#406 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

can probably host two out of town boats at my dock and another couple on the moorings at WRSC.
Bring it!

#407 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:43 AM

My information is second hand but apparently no one stepped up to the plate to organize/run the regatta. Block Island Race Week was also interested in hosting but again, no one took charge.

These events don't happen by themselves and they take 18+ months to effectively organize and promote if you expect to draw out of town boats, obtain sponsors etc. We are well along with our planning for 2014 in Muskegon MI.

L

#408 old bow

old bow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Would one be correct in assuming 2013 NA's are a dead issue, or is there a spark still alive on the east coast?

#409 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

Would one be correct in assuming 2013 NA's are a dead issue, or is there a spark still alive on the east coast?

scroll up.. as i've said before, we could easily convert our regatta at the end of October into an NA's or intergalactic fucking championships for that matter.. we typically get all the active 35's on the bay to come out for it except Medicine Man who won't go more than 5 miles from Annapolis for anything.

plenty of other good 1D events leading up to it to make the trip to the Chesapeake worthwhile.
I've even offered free mooring space to traveling boats....

but I think the interest is all talk.

#410 Get Her Done

Get Her Done

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

I'm sure I'm naive, but what has to happen to get an already-planned Annapolis-area event also called the J/35 North Americans? If we need a regatta chair, I'd be happy to volunteer (see how innocent I am?), but I am not an owner nor a member of the class association. I imagine that someone who is would need to email the class association membership and ask for a vote. As for sponsorships, I note that 2013 is the 30th anniversary of the J/35's introduction to our world. Perhaps J/Boats might be interested in providing some bling or other recognition if we held NA's this year? In fact I had a conversation with Rod Johnstone at last October's Annapolis Boat Show and he was quite amenable to honoring the J/35 this year in some way. So how about it owners?

#411 Get Her Done

Get Her Done

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Correction: I believe it was Jeff Johnstone I spoke with at the boat show. Apologies!

#412 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:57 AM

I'll be happy to rebrand the J35 Mid-Atlantics as the Interstellar/intergalactic/transhemispheric national north american championships

if any out of town boats are willing to step up and commit to coming. but so far, even after contacting a few GL boats via PM I've heard nothing but lament over the fact that there isn't an NA's this year.

If anyone has contact info for Jeff, sent it to me and I'll call or email him about some sponsorship ideas.

#413 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

Yes you are naive! :)   A bit more to it then that but not saying it can't be done. As I have said before it takes someone to take the bull by the horns and do it.  Just calling it an NA doesn't make it an NA.  If you reasonably expect out of town boats to travel to it as opposed to just a local regatta, you have to give owners ample time to plan for it.  It is a big expense with lots of logistics and planning.  You don't just throw a J/35 on a trailer and haul it across the country with your SUV. Wide load, height and therefore routing issues, permits needed for interstate travel, etc..  Just saying it is really late in the game to try and pull this off and really expect out of town participation.  If part of another regatta the judges and RC may not be an issue but you still need to do boat measurements, equipment checks etc.and then of course everyone who participates has to be a member of the national org, which is in ICU at the moment,  so That said I would love to see it happen so good luck!  With a lot of hard work and committment it could happen, just a lot of hurdles to overcome, Happy to do what I can from Lake MI but unfortunately other than cheerlead for ya, not sure that will be much.

I'm sure I'm naive, but what has to happen to get an already-planned Annapolis-area event also called the J/35 North Americans? If we need a regatta chair, I'd be happy to volunteer (see how innocent I am?), but I am not an owner nor a member of the class association. I imagine that someone who is would need to email the class association membership and ask for a vote. As for sponsorships, I note that 2013 is the 30th anniversary of the J/35's introduction to our world. Perhaps J/Boats might be interested in providing some bling or other recognition if we held NA's this year? In fact I had a conversation with Rod Johnstone at last October's Annapolis Boat Show and he was quite amenable to honoring the J/35 this year in some way. So how about it owners?

#414 AYACHT

AYACHT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

And everyone races for 2nd place ;)

#415 trimfast

trimfast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

I think everyone needs to change their overall outlook at the total aspect of an NA regatta. For one, it would be awesome to have more boats on the line than just the normal Annapolis fleet, but..the fact is, this class is no longer designed to be the giant participants/owners who have the money and or want to travel like Melges, or Farr, etc. Could it be, perhaps, is it likely no. This is why participation in the 70, and all the other hot small boats is up. Less money to go to away regattas..... but that is another conversation.

Last time NAs were in Annapolis the only out of town boat was Mr. Bill. I didn't see any other participation other than the Bay boats. The same goes when the regattas are on the Lakes. So Na's no, it should be more like Region champs. Perhaps morphed into a hey, lets all meet in the middle and charter a small class OD like J80s and race against each other REGIONS champions like Spar wars is in Annapolis. Thats more economical than moving the boat from east coast to midwest and killing not only bank accounts, but losing the boat for a huge chunk of the season.

Sure I am not an owner and cannot speak of costs and what not and all that associated, but as a dedicated crew member and active participant of the fleet in Annapolis those are just my thoughts. I wil be happy to continue to sail against our Bay fleet including those pink ladies and gents on Bump, while enjoying all the comraderie on the bay with everyone else in the fleet.

#416 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Yes you are naive! :)   A bit more to it then that but not saying it can't be done. As I have said before it takes someone to take the bull by the horns and do it.  Just calling it an NA doesn't make it an NA.  If you reasonably expect out of town boats to travel to it as opposed to just a local regatta, you have to give owners ample time to plan for it.  It is a big expense with lots of logistics and planning.  You don't just throw a J/35 on a trailer and haul it across the country with your SUV. Wide load, height and therefore routing issues, permits needed for interstate travel, etc..  Just saying it is really late in the game to try and pull this off and really expect out of town participation.  If part of another regatta the judges and RC may not be an issue but you still need to do boat measurements, equipment checks etc.and then of course everyone who participates has to be a member of the national org, which is in ICU at the moment,  so That said I would love to see it happen so good luck!  With a lot of hard work and committment it could happen, just a lot of hurdles to overcome, Happy to do what I can from Lake MI but unfortunately other than cheerlead for ya, not sure that will be much.

Why does it have to be major production? Why does it have to be some big ass glitzy event?

Do you want to sail or get your picture taken?

I revived the MA's from the grave 4 or 5 years ago and hosted it at WRSC.. a little fucking hole in the wall club about 2 hours by water from Naptown.  we had a cookout at the club after the first day, a potluck dinner the 2nd day and pizza delivered for the awards ceremony.. This has enabled us to keep the entry fees under $200.  How much was Gibson Island? how much were the entry fees for the last go round on the lakes?

I didn't hear anyone complain about the venue or the post race activities...

Do we need to hire an orchestra and have wolfgang fucking puck cater the thing to get the GL guys to drive over? 

ok, so  we can't make it prestigious  enough for y'all to call it an NA, fine,  then come on over and try to take our Mid Atlantic trophies away..

there, gauntlet thrown.. I dare ya.. and you can still tie up your boat(s) at my dock.

Bring it in September and leave it here until November and get to sail in some fun events for a couple extra months. .

Or.. charter a couple boats from here and bring your sails.

Or.. Given that a couple of the local boats are always struggling to get a full crew together, contact us and we'll connect you to morph a couple crews together.

#417 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

Where did anybody say it had to be glitzy??  We have had two in Muskegon MI,  not exactly the glamour spot of the Great Lakes. The last one on Lake St. Clair as well as the one at Western Lake Erie were at very modest clubs. You can make the event as simple and low cost as you want, that isn't the point. If you hold it as part of an existing event that has access to Judged, RC, etc then your incremental additional cost would be minimal. There are however certaint tprocedures etc. to insure the one design integrity of the event, that have to be done if your going to call it class National Championship.  It is also an event that should be open and give the opportunity for out of town competitors to attend. Doing it as part of another regatta is fine but there are Great Lakes boats that have and will travel, and we have some Gulf Coast boats that have traveled as recently as two years ago. It is hard to give boats that opportunity with only a few months notice when most of their season schedule is likely already set.

Trim, to your point, I don't disagree at all.  As the value fo the boats have dropped and the class has aged, we don't have nearly as many owners seriously campaigning their boats anymore. Hell I have trouble getting boats to travel 60 miles on the water to regattas let alone haul their boats 1000 miles across country and back. It is a serious challenge that the class is facing and the whole viability of the National Class and NA Regatta's is sadly in real question.The demise of the class may be an inevitabiltiy given the lack of mobility the boat has as opposed to a say a J/24 or Melges, Etchells, etc  The real answer may be that the "Class" had a good and legendary run but, it may be at or at least near the end.   I hope not, but it may be the bottom line.

Again, That all being said, I would rather the east coast pull SOMETHING off, as opposed to not holding a NA Regatta for the first time in 29 years. I have access to a 3 year old mailing list of owners,  templates for boat inspection/measurment forms etc. B&G PM me and I will be happy to assist any way I can. There is seed money available from the Class (if anybody knows how to access it) 

#418 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:31 AM

Hey all, just got word this evening that Larry Schell, owner of J/35 Hull #1 Touch of Grey, out of Columbia Yacht Club in Chicago suffered a stroke recently.  He is doing fine and a full recovery is expected. He is otherwise in good health and had just returned from his extended annual ski trip so this was not at all expected (other then that, how did you enjoy the play Mrs. Lincoln LOL)) .   He says he is registered for the Chicago NOODs and is still planning on racing, but keep a good thought and a little prayer for our fellow J/35 owner and Friend.

#419 jim lee

jim lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:19 AM

Looks like somebody ran away with your keel.

-jim lee

#420 richardthelionheart

richardthelionheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:26 AM

Looks like somebody ran away with your keel.

-jim lee

wait what? these boats have keels ;)

the keel is safely secured on the trailer under the boat! only way I could tow it home to Florida!

#421 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:54 AM

To all who love J35's 

I am the new owner of a 1988 J35 named "Runaway" and I'm glad to announce she will one day be racing again. I would love some history on this boat if anyone has info please share!

Unfortunately "Runaway" didn't fair well with this past hurricane and she found herself about to be sent to the trash heap so I stepped in and brought her to her new home down here in Central Florida. The plan at this moment is to spend some time going through her and getting her back on the water. The only downfall to my plan is I currently own a Contour 34 which is suited better for sailing in Central Florida and is awesome to have in the Bahamas. So i'm not sure how long I will be keeping "Runaway." Well keep your eyes and ears open because if I do sell "Runaway" I want someone who will use her to her full potential.

Here our a few questions I have about my new J35:

Areas that are known to fail?

Extra main does anyone have one? Unfortunately it looks like someone stole most of the sails off of her before I got her :(

What is a fair value for a J35, I don't want to get over my head on this boat!

Does anyone of a manual for these boats?

I have attached a picture of "Runaway" for your viewing pleasure

Thanks for everything!

Congrats on the new addition, I own an older 35 and really like the boat if used for its intended purpose.  Don't claim to be an expert but I can give you my 2 cents, take it for what it is worth/you paid.  In terms of value boats could sell anywhere from low 20s to 50ish highly dependant on condition and equipment/age of sails, etc.  Not to sound discouraging, but a race boat missing much of its sail inventory, the value could be well sub 20 and made up of what the components alone are worth (keel lead, engine, mast, winches, etc).  I would try and keep the boat in factory config meaning no "fixes" like shortening the keel to accomdate the draft of local waters, etc. Not to make a bad pun but it would be very easy to get "underwater" with the boats value if done correctly-complete new sail inventory, all required fixing done by compent marine pros, etc.  Things to look for would be coring issues, i.e. wet/delam core.  Don't know that any owners manual per se is available (a quick call to J boats would answer that question) but there is tons of info (tuning guides, etc) on the net for your easy perusal.  Good luck with the boat and enjoy.

#422 frostbit

frostbit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

I think there used to be a J35 named Runaway in Southport, CT, but I'm not 100% on that. If so, it was lightly sailed in the late 80s and early 90s, doing mostly club racing out of Pequot YC and the Cedar Point weekend series. Don't think it ever went to Newport or Block or American, etc. etc. where, at the time, significant regional and national events were happening with 30+ boats on the line.

#423 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

To all who love J35's 

I am the new owner of a 1988 J35 named "Runaway" and I'm glad to announce she will one day be racing again. I would love some history on this boat if anyone has info please share!

Unfortunately "Runaway" didn't fair well with this past hurricane and she found herself about to be sent to the trash heap so I stepped in and brought her to her new home down here in Central Florida. The plan at this moment is to spend some time going through her and getting her back on the water. The only downfall to my plan is I currently own a Contour 34 which is suited better for sailing in Central Florida and is awesome to have in the Bahamas. So i'm not sure how long I will be keeping "Runaway." Well keep your eyes and ears open because if I do sell "Runaway" I want someone who will use her to her full potential.

Extra main does anyone have one? Unfortunately it looks like someone stole most of the sails off of her before I got her :(

Thanks for everything!

The class site www.j35.org has a lot of info, including copies of the orginal sales brochure, class configuration and rules, tuning guides, etc.  

Wet core is the most common issue both in deck and hull,  keel box tabbing needs to be inspected and maintained too. Cabin sole is frequently an issue. Usually fails at the base of the companionway steps.  Most of the early boats had Kenyon mast and very few of them have survived.  Hall used later and seem to have had more durability.

Sail inventory and condition are the big price factors.  Half the value of the boat is in the sails typically.  Still a great boat for the money though! I agree with the quoted price range above, and keep her in class configuration for best sales prospects. Good luck with your project! Keep the thread informed on your progress!

I have owned hull #105 built in 1985 since 1997. We have 6 in Muskegon MI and  18 total  in the Western Great Lakes,  Probably at least another dozen on the Eastern Great Lakes, and a big fleet in the Chesapeke area.  These seem to be the most active J/35 fleets these days.

#424 Ross

Ross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

Any one know what happened to Abba Zabba Dad? Used to be out Dana Point in 2000's..

#425 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

Any one know what happened to Abba Zabba Dad? Used to be out Dana Point in 2000's..

Don't know what happened to it, but my boat ended up with some of it's old sails in the late 90's!

#426 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:Psychoanalysis of dormant amoebas, underwater basket weaving, phlembology, political activism for alien sub-species, counting to twelve, making square blocks fit into round holes, yadda, yadda, yadda

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

We had half of the Falcon crew there too on Red Dragon. 

No one has ever come up from Naptown to play in our pond(s).

I think everyone needs to change their overall outlook at the total aspect of an NA regatta. For one, it would be awesome to have more boats on the line than just the normal Annapolis fleet, but..the fact is, this class is no longer designed to be the giant participants/owners who have the money and or want to travel like Melges, or Farr, etc. Could it be, perhaps, is it likely no. This is why participation in the 70, and all the other hot small boats is up. Less money to go to away regattas..... but that is another conversation.

Last time NAs were in Annapolis the only out of town boat was Mr. Bill. I didn't see any other participation other than the Bay boats. The same goes when the regattas are on the Lakes. So Na's no, it should be more like Region champs. Perhaps morphed into a hey, lets all meet in the middle and charter a small class OD like J80s and race against each other REGIONS champions like Spar wars is in Annapolis. Thats more economical than moving the boat from east coast to midwest and killing not only bank accounts, but losing the boat for a huge chunk of the season.

Sure I am not an owner and cannot speak of costs and what not and all that associated, but as a dedicated crew member and active participant of the fleet in Annapolis those are just my thoughts. I wil be happy to continue to sail against our Bay fleet including those pink ladies and gents on Bump, while enjoying all the comraderie on the bay with everyone else in the fleet.

#427 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

I think I remember seeing it being brokered in the Seattle/PNW area in the last few years.  Not sure where it sold to though.

Another of Mr Harvey's nice line of boats owned.

#428 trimfast

trimfast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

Quick question for everyone.  Looking for a Genoa Sheet length.... running with sheet overtop bridal for pole. Any ideas what a good length for that is with room. Current sheets are short, and cannot remember a good starting point. Any quick direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

#429 Mr. Starbuck

Mr. Starbuck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

If I make it to the boat tonight, I will measure.

#430 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

60ft each should be plenty.  Much more and the cockpit is a pasta bowl 50ft with a bridle an your going to have to be careful not to pull them out when moving the sail around.

Quick question for everyone.  Looking for a Genoa Sheet length.... running with sheet overtop bridal for pole. Any ideas what a good length for that is with room. Current sheets are short, and cannot remember a good starting point. Any quick direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

#431 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,822 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

To all who love J35's 

Thanks for everything!

PM jesposito.  He campaigned and put together that boat for the owner.

#432 noahj5000

noahj5000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:surf

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

Looking for good new/used sails.

Anyone?

#433 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:09 AM

Good used sails are probably gettin pretty hard to come by for these boats.

so what ever happened with Runaway? put it back together?

take it to St Martin and I'll bring my sails down and race her for you in the Heineken Regatta ;)

#434 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

Greetings!

We are planning on hosting the 30th Anniversary J/35 North American Championships on Lake Michigan in Muskegon at the Muskegon Yacht Club August 21-24, 2014!

This will NOT be a budget buster!  We currently have 2 J/35's For Sale or potentially available for Charter in Muskegon.  If you are interested in participating please PM me.

#435 Get Her Done

Get Her Done

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

Thanks, Larry. I have forwarded this to Chesapeake Bay (Fleet 7) owners.  Please post a website or other info as it becomes available.

#436 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

Thanks, Larry. I have forwarded this to Chesapeake Bay (Fleet 7) owners.  Please post a website or other info as it becomes available.

Will do!

#437 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

Greetings,

I have been asked and have agreed to take over as the National Class President for the J/35 class. I have owned my J/35 since 1996, have actively raced her on Lake Michigan and have competed in 3 NA regattas, chairing two NA regattas, as well as the upcoming 2014 NA's in Muskegon Mi.  I have a lot of thoughts on the State of the Class but for now I would like input from J/35 owners on a couple of specific things.

1. Class Rule changes to make the boats more attractive to own and race.

2. What are you looking for from the National Class,  Web site, tuning information, PHRF hints, maintenance tips, bulletin board, classifieds....  you tell me.

Also, I am looking for others who want to participate on the National Class level either as an officer or as a fleet representative. I will say the National Class is in the ICU and its prognosis isn't good.  I have agreed to take on this job for the sole purpose of trying and jumpstart the class but you can only use the defibulator so many times before you call the code. If you love your J/35 and want to have a National Class Association, please let me hear from you.

If you are not comfortable posting, please PM me.

Watch for new and regular updates to the class sight as soon as I figure out how to update it!

Thank You!

Larry Taunt

Muskegon Yacht Club, Muskegon MI

Bad Dog

Hull #105

#438 makinghp

makinghp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:having fun on the boat

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

Hello Larry,

Just sold my 35, great boat !!!

My two cents.  It's hard to get excited about spending more on sails than the boat is worth.  Maybe some kind of sail limitation like one new purchase per year or some kind of spending limit?  Second issue is with the need for a large crew.  The experienced boats seemed to have found the big numbers but for anyone starting out this can be a tough job.  Maybe drop down to 100% jib for nationals to ease the need for rail bait?

Not sure if this helps but these were the issues that made me move away from the 35.

Good luck !!!!

#439 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

Thanks!! Which boat did you sell?  Where did it go?

Sail cost is obviously an issue.  We put a two sail limit on the Lake Mi fleet.  Not sure it really helped as nobody was really buying more than two a year anyway in the last decade.  Not sure what the answer is there but perhaps a single class jib is something to explore. Crew numbers and weight are something I am interested in addressing. Need to make the boat more accessible for more people.  I am fortunate in that I have never had a big problem getting crew but that is the most frequent excuse I get for poeple not racing.   There are some developments happening in Chicago that will be announced soon that are exciting and have great potential to build more interest and more experienced crew in J/35's. This is a problem for more than the 35 fleet, it is a sailing industry issue. Not enough new sailors. We are not transitioning our juniors to keel boats. Again, not sure what the answers are.  Some fleets in some areas continue to thrive but they are a bit rare.

Sorry to lose you

Lartaunt

Hello Larry,

Just sold my 35, great boat !!!

My two cents.  It's hard to get excited about spending more on sails than the boat is worth.  Maybe some kind of sail limitation like one new purchase per year or some kind of spending limit?  Second issue is with the need for a large crew.  The experienced boats seemed to have found the big numbers but for anyone starting out this can be a tough job.  Maybe drop down to 100% jib for nationals to ease the need for rail bait?

Not sure if this helps but these were the issues that made me move away from the 35.

Good luck !!!!

#440 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:40 AM

we've had a sorta Festivus style airing of grievances email conversation here on the chesapeake lately and cost of sails was an issue I raised.

I float this out there to stimulate thought, limiting genoas to one 150 or what we on the chesapeake refer to as our heavy one. Most boats here have a heavy and and AP(155) those of us with frequent new crew find it difficult to get more than a year or so out of a new laminate headsail. having to replace two of them with any frequency gets expensive very fast.

#441 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

Would be interesting what that might do to our PHRF rating too!  Worth some discussion with J/Boats perhaps?  Any other ideas float to the top in your Fleet?  The Great Lakes and the Chesapeake are our two remaining fleets of any size and activity  so they are going to be the ones driving the bus.

we've had a sorta Festivus style airing of grievances email conversation here on the chesapeake lately and cost of sails was an issue I raised.

I float this out there to stimulate thought, limiting genoas to one 150 or what we on the chesapeake refer to as our heavy one. Most boats here have a heavy and and AP(155) those of us with frequent new crew find it difficult to get more than a year or so out of a new laminate headsail. having to replace two of them with any frequency gets expensive very fast.

#442 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Can any of you chaps tell me the foot dimensions for the Genoa?

I want to know what size zipper bag is required.

Thanks

#443 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

Would be interesting what that might do to our PHRF rating too!  Worth some discussion with J/Boats perhaps?  Any other ideas float to the top in your Fleet?  The Great Lakes and the Chesapeake are our two remaining fleets of any size and activity  so they are going to be the ones driving the bus.

nothin off the top of my head but Maggie might have something to say ... oh Maggie!

#444 Sailing ned

Sailing ned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

Ok been surfing about and getting nowhere and suspect one of you guys will know the answers.

Been looking at J35 and have a few questions.

1. What are the difference's between a j35 and the bashford version. (Important stuff weight, stiffness, boat speed)

2. What to look out for

3. How do you tell if the core is soaking

4. In the real world what is the IRC weight vs original build weight.

Have not looked at any yet just trying to get some facts and build a picture. Look to still be very capable IRC boats vs J109, First 36.7, First 35, Elan 37 etc good bang per $.

#445 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

Ok been surfing about and getting nowhere and suspect one of you guys will know the answers.

Been looking at J35 and have a few questions.

1. What are the difference's between a j35 and the bashford version. (Important stuff weight, stiffness, boat speed)

2. What to look out for

3. How do you tell if the core is soaking

4. In the real world what is the IRC weight vs original build weight.

Have not looked at any yet just trying to get some facts and build a picture. Look to still be very capable IRC boats vs J109, First 36.7, First 35, Elan 37 etc good bang per $.

1. Honestly don't know what a "Bashford" version is

2. Sails are expensive so good inventory is a big plus, Make sure no soft spots in the deck, cabin sole tend to rot out and need to be replaced, Keel box (seen some issues and know of several that have been rebuilt including mine), rudder bearings (most have been upgraded but make sure), have the engine checked out (boats are getting old and engines don't last forever especially if not taken care of), have the rig an rigging thoroughly inspected (again these aren't new boats)

3. Have it surveyed.  Moisture meters are not perfect and can give false readings (I have a spot on mine that pegs the moisture meter, had it core sampled and it was dry as a bone.) Recoring is a pain but doable.

4. Mine is a 1985 and was one of the lighter boats out of the mold.  Most recent weight I have on it is still under stated mfg weight. Class rules you need to be on the float lines anyway so not a big issue.  They vary in weight as much as 1500lbs in my experience

They are great boats upwind and will point with virtually anything. Will pull away from all the boats you mention upwind especially if there is a little breeze. Downwind the 109 has more SA and will pull away if it is reach but in more breeze we sail deeper and nearly as fast and hold our own.  36.7 not faster in any conditions I have seen. Not familiar with the First 35.  J109 if you look down the specs is virtually identical to the J/35.  It is a J/35 with a sprit and a slightly different keel but remarkabley similar.

Great boat and an outstanding boat for the $$.  You could sink a lot of money into restoreing one and still have a lot left over compared to the other boats mentioned.

Good Luck!

#446 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:27 AM

J109 if you look down the specs is virtually identical to the J/35.  It is a J/35 with a sprit and a slightly different keel but remarkabley similar.

but the 35 is a damn sight prettier boat ;)

#447 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,943 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:24 AM

^^ I think the 'Bashford' is just the boatbuilder in Australia(?) licensed to build the boats. Also I think they used the 'bathtub' style cockpit that was built in a limited run in the US, more overseas. See an early post in this thread (#41) for a pic of a 35 with the cockpit and a bit of discussion in later posts.

3-35's and a 109 together downwind:

#448 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,943 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:24 AM

^^ I think the 'Bashford' is just the boatbuilder in Australia(?) licensed to build the boats. Also I think they used the 'bathtub' style cockpit that was built in a limited run in the US, more overseas. See an early post in this thread (#41) for a pic of a 35 with the cockpit and a bit of discussion in later posts.

#449 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,943 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:25 AM

#450 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,943 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:25 AM

edit: can't get the pic to post, see post #65 for the pic. Ooops, now its posting....

Attached Thumbnails

• DI Classic 04.jpg

#451 George Hackett

George Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

Bashford Boats Australia was the licensed J Builder in asia.  when Ian died, the company was bought out by Sydney Yachts.  i have hull #8.  we bought her in 1998.  the only major issue was that the boat was built with after thought support of the keel sump.  so i eventually had the are rebuilt with nomex and kevlar.  the hat frame actually go into the sump which now supports the wieght of the keel much better.  we also replaced the fiber glass floor with a high density foam and teak vener floor. 

other than that, the boat has been a dream. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Flr fwd.jpg

#452 George Hackett

George Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:55 AM

a couple of more shots of a Bashford built J/35

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-8091.jpg
  • IMG-8093.jpg

#453 old bow

old bow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Greetings,

I have been asked and have agreed to take over as the National Class President for the J/35 class. I have owned my J/35 since 1996, have actively raced her on Lake Michigan and have competed in 3 NA regattas, chairing two NA regattas, as well as the upcoming 2014 NA's in Muskegon Mi.  I have a lot of thoughts on the State of the Class but for now I would like input from J/35 owners on a couple of specific things.

2. What are you looking for from the National Class,  Web site, tuning information, PHRF hints, maintenance tips, bulletin board, classifieds....  you tell me.

Also, I am looking for others who want to participate on the National Class level either as an officer or as a fleet representative. I will say the National Class is in the ICU and its prognosis isn't good.  I have agreed to take on this job for the sole purpose of trying and jumpstart the class but you can only use the defibulator so many times before you call the code. If you love your J/35 and want to have a National Class Association, please let me hear from you.

Watch for new and regular updates to the class sight as soon as I figure out how to update it!

Thank You!

Larry Taunt

Bad Dog

Hull #105

Larry,

Have you a date for the 2014 NA's as of yet?

#454 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

did they all have wheels?

#455 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:27 AM

did they all have wheels?

Post 41 shows the same boat with a tiller, so modified at some point.

#456 George Hackett

George Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:26 AM

my boat came with a tiller.  but i wanted a wheel.  so i ordered a wheel and some carbon tubes from McConaghy's in china.  came up with a plan that i can always go back to a tiller if i want.  sat down with mike mitcheall and told him i want the wheel to travel one full turn not the usually thousands of turns to get the rudder from one point to another. 

if you look closely you can see a carbon arm where the tiller used to be.  the whole system runs in the open, not hidden inside the boat.  so there is easy acess in case of an emegency.  and four bolts are all that is need to be removed to change the system back to a tiller.  two bolts hold the wheel assembly and two bolt on the carbon arm. 

#457 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Does anyone have a contact on parts for the J35? We are in need of a new mast step beam, after 30 years the old one is toast. Or alternates for fabbing a replacement? Someone mentioned a company when a J30 bow pulpit was needed, would they have other parts also?

Thanks.

#458 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

Yes, It is up on the class web site which I have been working on bit by bit.  August 21-24 At Muskegon Yacht Club

Greetings,

Thank You!

Larry Taunt

Bad Dog

Hull #105

Larry,

Have you a date for the 2014 NA's as of yet?

#459 teamnovi

teamnovi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

We have a J/35, Harrier, in Nova Scotia that is active in both inshore and offshore racing. The most recent race was the 2013 Marblehead to Halifax Race where we came 1 in Class, 4th in PHRF Division. 

She is a 1984 hull #67. See our webpage for more information on the boat: www.teamnovi.ca 

#460 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

Greetings!  I have created a "J 35 Class Association" Facebook page to get the class into the social media arena. Please visit the page, "like" us, make a post, post a picture, results, project updates or ideas. etc.

Thanks

Larry Taunt

J/35 Class Association President.

#461 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

NAClogo_2014.jpg

Attached File  NOR 2014 J35 North American Championships.pdf   197.13K   21 downloads

NOR for the 30th 2014 J/35 North American Championshiop Regatta at Muskegon Yacht Club, Muskegon MI August 21-24, 2014

#462 whistler206

whistler206

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:40 AM

Hello all!  I'm looking around for a new to me #3 for my J/35.  If there is anyone out there with one of those in pretty good shape, please let me know!  Thanks.

Reply to richard.oulton@gmail.com

#463 old bow

old bow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:16 AM

Larry, 69 days till it happens, only 4 boats in? Nobody from Chicago, Detroit, WTF? 

attachicon.gifNAClogo_2014.jpg

attachicon.gifNOR 2014 J35 North American Championships.pdf

NOR for the 30th 2014 J/35 North American Championshiop Regatta at Muskegon Yacht Club, Muskegon MI August 21-24, 2014

#464 Tyson0317

Tyson0317

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Owned a 26ft Sloop.
    Sunk on a 26ft Sloop.
    Crewed on a 36ft Sloop.
    Bought a 35ft Sloop - J/35 Hull Number 251.
    Currently S/V Solution of Seattle.
    Former Standing Ovation of Gig Harbor.
    Former More Power of San Francisco.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:12 AM

I've been looking for any pictures, history or stories about our boat. I keep forgetting to grab the hull number from it, but when I got it, she was the "Standing Ovation" out of Gig Harbor, WA. I can see UV sun lines from a previous name that must have been on her - "More Power" out of San Francisco, CA. 

#465 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

Larry, 69 days till it happens, only 4 boats in? Nobody from Chicago, Detroit, WTF? 

attachicon.gifNAClogo_2014.jpg

attachicon.gifNOR 2014 J35 North American Championships.pdf

More on the way soon.  Everybody is wrapped in Mac race prep.  Looking at 12+ entries at this point.

#466 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

The J/35 Class Association is holding a General Membership meeting at the Muskegon Yacht Club, Muskegon MI August 21st 2014 at 6:30pm immediately following the 6pm skippers meeting for the 2014 North American Championships.  All Association members and prospective members are encouraged to attend.  Discussion will include proposed class rule amendments, group sail purchase program proposal, fleet realignment, and other important topics. Please try to attend!.  I am working on a Skype feed and conference call or go to meeting capability for those who can not attend in person.   More to follow!

#467 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

has anyone from Fleet 7 provided any input for the class association meeting?

Would it be possible for someone to participate via conf. call?

just curious, haven't heard anything about it from our local class.

#468 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

Yes I would like to have Fleet 7 represented.  I will be posting some CC  or "Go to meeting" information shortly.  PM me for more details

#469 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

I will be on a J35 for our Thursday night race at that time. Will there be a replay?

#470 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:22 PM

Greetings!

We are hosting a J35 Class Association general membership meeting at the North American Championship Regatta next week Thursday August 21st 2014 at 6:30pm EDT

All Association members and potential members are invited to attend either in person or via the webinar.  Please see attachment with registration instructions for the webinar.

This is a very important meeting to the future of the J35 Class.  Please do your best to attend or have a representative attend.   I will try to record and make available for replay but no promises on whether that technology will work.

Thanks for your support!

Larry Taunt

J/35 Class President

Attached Files

#471 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Greetings!

We are hosting a J35 Class Association general membership meeting at the North American Championship Regatta next week Thursday August 21st 2014 at 6:30pm EDT

All Association members and potential members are invited to attend either in person or via the webinar.  Please see attachment with registration instructions for the webinar.

This is a very important meeting to the future of the J35 Class.  Please do your best to attend or have a representative attend.   I will try to record and make available for replay but no promises on whether that technology will work.

Thanks for your support!

Larry Taunt

J/35 Class President

I'll pass this along, including the pdf, to all the fleet 7 folks I have emails for

#472 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

See the attached document for Results of the 2014 NA's  Complete results at www.yachtscoring.com

Attached Files

#473 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

Will there be any pics posted?

#474 old bow

old bow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

Kudos to Larry and all the members of MYC. Great event, the race commitee, venue, food, you had the whole package!

#475 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:39 AM

There are some pics of the winners on the Facebook page and www.j35.org As I collect more from people I will post

#476 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

A Link to the recording of the J35 Class Association meeting is now available on www.j35.org  Skip to 2:30 for the beginning of the meeting and you may have to crank the volume a bit to hear some of the comments and questions from the audience.

Great meeting and a lot of great discussion and ideas.   Please give it a listen.   Also, we are going to proceed with some class rule change proposals.  You need to be a class member to vote on the changes.  We are running a two year membership special through the end of October. Please join/renew your class membership or at the very least send us an updated form so we can get our database of owners up to date. PM me or email me through www.j35.org to discuss.

Thanks!

#477 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the link, I have listened to the first 1/4 or so and intend to complete the rest tonight.

#478 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

There are now some pics fromt the 2014 North American Championship Regatta posted on the J35 Class Associatioh Facebook page https://www.facebook...nedesign?ref=hl

#479 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:54 AM

There are now some pics fromt the 2014 North American Championship Regatta posted on the J35 Class Associatioh Facebook page https://www.facebook...nedesign?ref=hl

Great, thanks.

#480 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

I have finally been able to finish listening to the meeting. Obviously it is a tall order to keep the class alive when it is not the focus of the sailing 'world' as the boat once was, like your comparison to the Farr 40's. DId you send out any releases to the media? SA and Sail-World will post a regatta report if it is sent to them, SA has posted stuff I have sent-in. Most want/need good content to fill their spaces. It's free exposure.

I agree making the boat more 'sailable' in todays regatta's is important enough to update the class rules but not get away from a one design baseline. Other than the two main areas we are all sailing our boat in PHRF or other handicap events. Round the cans or point-to-point it is hard to eke out a win when it favors the assyms. The other J35 in our area has an assym, we have borrowed it a couple of times, and the range is narrow for that sail. It is quite old now so a current design might have a wider range of effectiveness than this one does. The prop issue - if it's not an advantage then allow an option for an alternate prop. Martec just rebuilt one for the boat that was on their shelf, since the one we sent was too far gone. The same may have to be done for the mast - get a relatively 'equal' section and assembly. Reality needs to be dealt with but ensure that no boat is taking advantage of the allowances. Tough to police but what is the option? The boats are old, the parts becoming obsolete or out of production, and so much has to be done to keep them sailing that many are probably not 'class' legal out of necessity, not intent.

At one time we had 4 35's locally. The closest to one design racing we had was a NOOD regatta where we had a 109 and a Tripp 33 to fill the fleet.(I posted a pic of 3-35's and the 109 way back) One boat sold and the other has been inactive due to family health issues the last few years. Sad t see her sit as she was very competitive. Due to the housing crash in '09 I am no longer a partner in the 35 but still sail on the boat. As noted at the level we are at shipping the boat 1,000 miles is just not an option. A charter might work but I am not sure how comfortable that would be. Sponsorship? I do not know how that would work if possible, and is that allowed in the class? A lot of boats these days look like a racecar anyore with all the logos placed on the sails and hulls. Not sure I like that option, but with a blue hull and hull #48 maybe Lowes would be interested.......

On the class sail thing: it is an interesting idea, but what sails would be in the rotation? Down here a #3 will last forever until it dies from non-use. #1's go first, followed by mains and spins. A #2, almost worthless since the boat will carry an AP1 a long ways up in breeze. Maybe do not include sail bags, turtles, numbers and logos, etc? Maybe work-it with the 'brand' sailmaker but run the sale through the local loft? Keeps the local guy in the loop and with the numbering, bags, etc. he gets to make some profit on the accessories, as his cut of a sail purchase may not be much anyhow. I would guess a discount rate of 10-15%, 30 seems a little far out there, but you never know.

Anyway I plan to send my $25 and look forward to staying in-touch with the class. It is a great boat to sail and I would sail it anywhere. Thank you for your efforts.

#481 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:25 AM

I have finally been able to finish listening to the meeting. Obviously it is a tall order to keep the class alive when it is not the focus of the sailing 'world' as the boat once was, like your comparison to the Farr 40's. DId you send out any releases to the media? SA and Sail-World will post a regatta report if it is sent to them, SA has posted stuff I have sent-in. Most want/need good content to fill their spaces. It's free exposure.

I agree making the boat more 'sailable' in todays regatta's is important enough to update the class rules but not get away from a one design baseline. Other than the two main areas we are all sailing our boat in PHRF or other handicap events. Round the cans or point-to-point it is hard to eke out a win when it favors the assyms. The other J35 in our area has an assym, we have borrowed it a couple of times, and the range is narrow for that sail. It is quite old now so a current design might have a wider range of effectiveness than this one does. The prop issue - if it's not an advantage then allow an option for an alternate prop. Martec just rebuilt one for the boat that was on their shelf, since the one we sent was too far gone. The same may have to be done for the mast - get a relatively 'equal' section and assembly. Reality needs to be dealt with but ensure that no boat is taking advantage of the allowances. Tough to police but what is the option? The boats are old, the parts becoming obsolete or out of production, and so much has to be done to keep them sailing that many are probably not 'class' legal out of necessity, not intent.

At one time we had 4 35's locally. The closest to one design racing we had was a NOOD regatta where we had a 109 and a Tripp 33 to fill the fleet.(I posted a pic of 3-35's and the 109 way back) One boat sold and the other has been inactive due to family health issues the last few years. Sad t see her sit as she was very competitive. Due to the housing crash in '09 I am no longer a partner in the 35 but still sail on the boat. As noted at the level we are at shipping the boat 1,000 miles is just not an option. A charter might work but I am not sure how comfortable that would be. Sponsorship? I do not know how that would work if possible, and is that allowed in the class? A lot of boats these days look like a racecar anyore with all the logos placed on the sails and hulls. Not sure I like that option, but with a blue hull and hull #48 maybe Lowes would be interested.......

On the class sail thing: it is an interesting idea, but what sails would be in the rotation? Down here a #3 will last forever until it dies from non-use. #1's go first, followed by mains and spins. A #2, almost worthless since the boat will carry an AP1 a long ways up in breeze. Maybe do not include sail bags, turtles, numbers and logos, etc? Maybe work-it with the 'brand' sailmaker but run the sale through the local loft? Keeps the local guy in the loop and with the numbering, bags, etc. he gets to make some profit on the accessories, as his cut of a sail purchase may not be much anyhow. I would guess a discount rate of 10-15%, 30 seems a little far out there, but you never know.

Anyway I plan to send my $25 and look forward to staying in-touch with the class. It is a great boat to sail and I would sail it anywhere. Thank you for your efforts.

Thanks for the input and support!  J/ News is running a report this week which Scuttlebutt will pick up.   I will send something in to SA as well.

#482 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

Getting some interests in the class sail concept from some of the sail makers.   Have been offered a substantial discount  (so far)for batches of 10 identical sails so far. Discount goes up for larger batches to nearly what I was conceptually targeting (33%) if we can do a batch of 30.  This may have some legs! This will be a program for Class Association members only!  Please go to www.j35.org and join/renew your membership.  Special for 2014 & 2015 for $125 through the end of the month.

Vote on class rules coming in November as well and you will need to be a member to participate in the vote.  No ticky! No washy! Please support your Class Association!

Thanks!

#483 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:56 AM

^^ Wow, great work. I will pass this info along. A main is what is needed here as a new jib has been delivered. Are you looking at laminate mains or dacron?

#484 Mr. Starbuck

Mr. Starbuck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:49 AM

Please post more details about this batch sail deal. 

#485 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:59 PM

Definitely Laminate sails.  I think getting the class to go to Dacron would be pretty hard, plus... their freaking heavy! LOL! I don't think I can pick up my Dacron main anymore! 

I hope to be able to post more details soon about the class purchase program.  AP#1 and a Main would be in the first go round for sure to kick the program off. Don't want to poison the well when we are still negotiating but we are looking at an AP#1 and a Mainsail for under $7k (including the cost of your class membership of course). Add the spin and still be under $10k! 
We would have to have at least 10 of each to get this pricing even cheaper if we can get to 20  or 30. Not going to give out much more except to class members. Join/Renew now at www.j35.org

#486 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:44 AM

I wouldn't own another laminate main. Dacron baby, Dacron.

well at least not another 3DL...

got 4 solid (long) seasons out of a Dacron main from North. The 3DL I bought when I first bought the boat was almost untrimmable after a season and a half. We're racing here from mid April - Halloween or so. I don't think the sails on the GL boats are gettin that much use.

There's an awful lot of Dacron on the boats in Fleet 7

#487 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:11 PM

We race from first week of May through first week of October so not that much less than you guys. I typically sail well over 1000 nm each season.   3dl is not known for it's longevity (and to be fair I think they have gotten better).  I have had better luck with other vendors.  I also have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (delivery) set of sails.  I only use the first string for one design sailing, After a few years (depends on how much they get used in OD mode, my current 1st string main is 2009) I move them down to second string for Wed night, and point to point races, and have a third string for deliveries. I find by doing this I extend the life of the sails considerably as I tend to get at least 3 years and usually more out of each phase. When the 2nd string sails (which are used the most) start to look bad is when I replace and bump down from the first string.

What percentage of the 35's on the Chesapeake have Dacron mains?  What is the cost of a Dacron main these days? 

BTW On the class level, I am hearing crickets from Fleet 7.  Any activity, meetings, discussions going on out there?  

#488 AYACHT

AYACHT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

What's fleet 7 ;)

#489 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:39 PM

What's fleet 7 ;)

yeah really

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users