• Please log in to reply
558 replies to this topic

#501 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,145 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Rossi Sin 7s, Rossi Soul 7s, K2 Hard Sides, Salomon Dictators, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

ayup, two wing(spin) halyards, one centerline(jib) halyard.

works great for w/l's   not so much for long distance/offshore stuff, as it doesn't lend itself to peels 

or other complicated sail change evolutions.

spins always go up on port wing halyard

stbd wing is the topping lift.

that's the setup on my boat, and most of the other 35's around here.

I've thought about poking a hole below the centerline for a dedicated topper.

my guess is that this configuration evolved in the early days of the class for w/l, short course racing when the

1D class was really hot and thriving. saves a bit of weight aloft and for short course racing it keeps things simple.

#502 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, boating, automobiles, diving, Big Ten Sports, Sailing

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

am I seeing this right?  only one Genoa Halyard?  no Topping Lift?  and really cheap Sheaves?

Yes and no from what I understand. The spec sheet list a topping lift which would not be visible in these pics.  When I talked to J/boats they described this as a tri-sect top as opposed to the offshore setup which has twin headstay halyards and two wing halyards for the spins.  I would imagine if you are ordering one you could spec it with the offshore setup for a extra $$

This setup was apparently used more in the latter half of the production run as opposed to the offshore set up for the early boats.  If someone can tell me how to post a PDF on here I would be happy to post them limited amount of information I have and MSRP list.  $19,990 is the MSRP but I got the impression that most dealers discount off of that. Boom was $4100,  a few options for atteneas and lights that could add up to another $500

#503 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:30 PM

Our '84 model has the topper a little bit down from the head, just below the 2nd spreaders? (been a while since I looked up that way) with P/S wings and the jib like this one.

#504 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:09 PM

My Hall spar has the tri sect mast like the picture. It was installed about 1998 before I bought the boat. It was my understanding that the previous mast was a Kenyon and had two jib halyards and two spin halyards. We have an older boat in the area that still has the older Kenyon mast.

My topping lift exit is about 3/4 way between the upper spreader and the masthead. My previous owner said that the previous mast had the topping lift exit close to the upper spreader and that was where the mast broke. He said that the opening developed cracks.

I thought the tri sect mast is the common racing configuration in use now. My previous half tonner and most of the boats I have raced on are set up this way.

#505 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

To follow up,  I have confirmed wtih Sparcraft that the Tri-Sect is the current standard configuration but they are happy to do an offshore quad set up if you wish.. Also confirmed the mast is rigged with a topping lift. More pictures here: https://www.facebook...12853423&type=3

#506 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:48 PM

My Hall spar has the tri sect mast like the picture. It was installed about 1998 before I bought the boat. It was my understanding that the previous mast was a Kenyon and had two jib halyards and two spin halyards. We have an older boat in the area that still has the older Kenyon mast.

My topping lift exit is about 3/4 way between the upper spreader and the masthead. My previous owner said that the previous mast had the topping lift exit close to the upper spreader and that was where the mast broke. He said that the opening developed cracks.

I thought the tri sect mast is the common racing configuration in use now. My previous half tonner and most of the boats I have raced on are set up this way.

I don't think any of the Kenyon mast are still standing!  They all broke at the topper opening.

#507 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:16 AM

I checked with the guys on our boat and they are pretty sure it is a Kenyon stick, even thinking there was a mark on it somewhere. Looking at the 88-89 model next to us and they are different masts, the headstay and sheaves are set-up different. I may try to get a pic if I can get an angle to take a shot.

#508 Get Her Done

Get Her Done

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:52 PM

Only two J/35s in for the Annapolis to Solomons race this Friday? Sad, sad, sad! Why not make it a party by doing the race Friday, staying over Saturday night and delivering back on Sunday. The Holiday Inn marina bar will have breakfast, bloodies and screwdrivers from 0600 to noon and the J/35 pool party starts after that. Call it mini-Screwpile. Bump? Uncle Joe? Anyone? Bueller?

#509 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,145 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Rossi Sin 7s, Rossi Soul 7s, K2 Hard Sides, Salomon Dictators, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

don't have the crew for an overnighter anymore. both my heads'l trimmers are feeding and changing nappies on their respective sets of twins... if the other 35's wanted to do it 1H or 2H on the short course i'd be all over it ;)

#510 Get Her Done

Get Her Done

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

don't have the crew for an overnighter anymore. both my heads'l trimmers are feeding and changing nappies on their respective sets of twins... if the other 35's wanted to do it 1H or 2H on the short course i'd be all over it ;)

Ah well. I guess sex is not unlike the forward pass in football: 3 things can happen when you do it and 2 of them are bad.

#511 Positive Vibration

Positive Vibration

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:14 AM

Pretty new here, although I met some of you at the NAs in Muskegon last year. 

It was a tough night for Bobsled.  We wrecked our pulpit when our spin pole got locked up with another boat at the start.  I have great crew (machinist, mech eng, mech designer) and they swear they can fix it for next week, but it won't be a long term solotion.  I would welcome all suggestions to source a OEM pulpit or something from a different boat with similar footprint, or last resort, reccomendations for a custom job (design and builder). 

I'll post photos soon, so you can view the carnage.

Cheers all,

Bob

#512 dirichlet

dirichlet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:12 PM

Only two J/35s in for the Annapolis to Solomons race this Friday? Sad, sad, sad! Why not make it a party by doing the race Friday, staying over Saturday night and delivering back on Sunday. The Holiday Inn marina bar will have breakfast, bloodies and screwdrivers from 0600 to noon and the J/35 pool party starts after that. Call it mini-Screwpile. Bump? Uncle Joe? Anyone? Bueller?

I sail on Tbone, and was at the Holiday Inn on saturday for the "pool party"... The only impression I have from this trip is how rude the bartender was.  She litterally stated how annoying it was that I was ordering drinks, and stated to her coworker, "can't today just be over yet?" while I was tyring to place my order.  Keep in mind, I tip well, I was carrying the drinks back up to the pool from the bar, and I not a single drink was "blended" (e.g. 2 Mt. Gay & tonic, 1 Mt. Gay & ginger, 1 Mt. Gay & diet, 2 vodka sodas, one with a splash of cran).  Knowing what that place was like back in the heyday of Screwpile, it's sad to see...

#513 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

Pretty new here, although I met some of you at the NAs in Muskegon last year. 

It was a tough night for Bobsled.  We wrecked our pulpit when our spin pole got locked up with another boat at the start.  I have great crew (machinist, mech eng, mech designer) and they swear they can fix it for next week, but it won't be a long term solotion.  I would welcome all suggestions to source a OEM pulpit or something from a different boat with similar footprint, or last resort, reccomendations for a custom job (design and builder). 

I'll post photos soon, so you can view the carnage.

Cheers all,

Bob

Did you get this sorted out?  There is a manufacturer in Port Huron MI area who makes the original replacement pulpits.  (I am on my third LOL)  PM me if you are still looking and I will try to find more details.  I haven't had to buy one in quite awhile but early on it was a regular thing!

#514 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

Well it serves me right for spending so much time working on securing a new licensed supplier for class legal J/35 mast.  Cracked mine during the Chicago Mac race!.  Front of the mast at the cabintop.  Blew up a chute,just south of Grey Reef,  mast snapped backward when  it unloaded  and cracked.!!   Fortunately not bad enough to bring the rig down, in fact it wasn't noticed until we got into the straits of Mackinac.  Crew didn't tell me until we were on the island.   Working with Sparcraft and hope to be back on the water ASAP!mast cracl.jpeg

#515 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:46 AM

Well it serves me right for spending so much time working on securing a new licensed supplier for class legal J/35 mast.  Cracked mine during the Chicago Mac race!.  Front of the mast at the cabintop.  Blew up a chute,just south of Grey Reef,  mast snapped backward when  it unloaded  and cracked.!!   Fortunately not bad enough to bring the rig down, in fact it wasn't noticed until we got into the straits of Mackinac.  Crew didn't tell me until we were on the island.   Working with Sparcraft and hope to be back on the water ASAP!attachicon.gifmast cracl.jpeg

Sorry to hear about mast but glad everyone was safe/no injuries and you were able to get boat home safely.  It was definitely blowing pretty good at Greys, we were neck and neck with On Edge at that point, both with kites up and drawing, maybe 2-3 boat lengths apart and probably each thinking the other might round up and provide a little lead for the other but that did not happen.  There were a few times though I am thinking to myself, I hope nothing happens to the stick as the breeze was definitely on.  Much more breeze when hit with a passing thunderstorm @ Little Point Sable on dely home though, fortunately we were motoring/no sails up for that, but it still was a challenging 45 min to hr.  Boat was/is solid as a rock though am constantly reminded during my ownership what a good, safe boat it is when the conditions are less than optimal.

#516 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:11 PM

Well it serves me right for spending so much time working on securing a new licensed supplier for class legal J/35 mast.  Cracked mine during the Chicago Mac race!.  Front of the mast at the cabintop.  Blew up a chute,just south of Grey Reef,  mast snapped backward when  it unloaded  and cracked.!!   Fortunately not bad enough to bring the rig down, in fact it wasn't noticed until we got into the straits of Mackinac.  Crew didn't tell me until we were on the island.   Working with Sparcraft and hope to be back on the water ASAP!attachicon.gifmast cracl.jpeg

Sorry to hear about mast but glad everyone was safe/no injuries and you were able to get boat home safely.  It was definitely blowing pretty good at Greys, we were neck and neck with On Edge at that point, both with kites up and drawing, maybe 2-3 boat lengths apart and probably each thinking the other might round up and provide a little lead for the other but that did not happen.  There were a few times though I am thinking to myself, I hope nothing happens to the stick as the breeze was definitely on.  Much more breeze when hit with a passing thunderstorm @ Little Point Sable on dely home though, fortunately we were motoring/no sails up for that, but it still was a challenging 45 min to hr.  Boat was/is solid as a rock though am constantly reminded during my ownership what a good, safe boat it is when the conditions are less than optimal.

Yeah we were pushing it with a .6 chute and reaching that hard.  When it blew we threw up the .75 and lost very little time.  We had to be very close to you guys at the time as On Edge was close. They dropped their chute and went with a jib for awhile and we passed them.  Lost them when we blew the chute and finished right behind you guys.

#517 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

Sleeve that one for a spare! Glad all was safe.

#518 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

That is the plan!

#519 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

That is the plan!

mast crack 3 (2).jpg

Found some additional damage on the back side of the mast.  This baby is toast!   Insurance has approved replacement :-)! Unfortunately likely losing the rest of my season. 

Have spoken to Hall and they have confirmed the last J/35 mast section went to Lickity Split in Holland MI three weeks ago. Not plans to make more in the foreseeable future.  Happy to build me a carbon fiber replacement though!!  Unfortunately I still do as much OD sailing as possible so can't do that.  New Sparcraft rig is on the way (or at least will be soon)

#520 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

I am getting word from Sparcraft that one or more Annapolis area J/35;s already have Sparcraft mast.  As my new one is slated for delivery in early October I am begining to wonder about tuning / sailing differences with the Hall spar.  Word I am getting so far is that it is a bit stiffer and as such check stays are not being used as much.  Does anyone have any experience with the Sarcraft mast?

BTW had a nice conversation with Hall Spars.  No more J/35 tubes as we had been previously been told, but very excited to build me a carbon stick if I wanted!  Had to say no.as I really enjoy OD racing my boat!

#521 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

I know from looking at the Hall stick next to us vs the Kenyon that the attachment of the D1 & D2's are different, the Kenyon goes into the side of the mast below the spreaders, the Halls go into the base of the spreader. Not sure how much that affects things but there are differences in the sticks.

From the previous pics it appears the Sparcraft looks like the Hall tube, correct? Is your old mast a Hall?

#522 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, my old mast is an offshore Hall, the new one will be an offshore Sparcraft.  The pics are of a trisect not an offshore but that should only change the head set up.   From the pics https://www.facebook...12853423&type=3it appears the D2's go in just underneath the spreader.  Will have to check how that differs from mine now.

#523 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:58 PM

Yes, that is like the Kenyon setup.

#524 lostonsat

lostonsat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:38 PM

Well I have to race against four J35's at Chester Race Week including one driven by one Rodney Johnstone.

Any suggestions for staying ahead? ;-)

http://www.yachtscor...et.cfm?eID=1439

#525 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:41 PM

Well I have to race against four J35's at Chester Race Week including one driven by one Rodney Johnstone.

Any suggestions for staying ahead? ;-)

http://www.yachtscor...et.cfm?eID=1439

I am soooo jealous!!  My advice...  get ahead and stay ahead LOL!

#526 bloodshot

bloodshot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Interests:the pointy end of the boat

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:36 PM

nice!  we used to race against J'ai Tu back in the early nineties  

#527 stevedallas

stevedallas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:trying not to repeat the same mistakes we made on the race course last week, keeping hydrated

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:22 PM

Hey Larry.  Glad to hear about your mast and what didn't happen. 

We are re-doing our sheaves on our mast this fall.  Standard offshore rig--two jibs inside and two spins dangling.  What did you use to replace OEM?  I cant remember whether you or Wild Bill (or both) replaced them recently.

Many thanks,

Tony

#528 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:37 PM

We are re-doing our sheaves on our mast this fall.  Standard offshore rig--two jibs inside and two spins dangling.  What did you use to replace OEM?  I cant remember whether you or Wild Bill (or both) replaced them recently.

Many thanks,

Tony

It was me.  I got new ones direct from Hall.  PM me though I have two extra that I don't think I will ever use now, I will make you a deal  LOL!

#529 George Hackett

George Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:21 AM

Many thanks,

Tony

It was me.  I got new ones direct from Hall.  PM me though I have two extra that I don't think I will ever use now, I will make you a deal  LOL!

i have a Whale Spar mast from australia in my boat.  years ago i replaced all the sheaves with Harken Sheaves.  pricy but love them and have never had a problem since.

#530 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

J/35 Class Association is going to sponsor a class purchase of a Gori folding prop to replace the aging Martec props on many J/35's   The Gori prop is geared so no problem with flopping, unopened prop shaking your boat to pieces.  This is dependent on an amendment to the class rule allowing this which I don't anticipate being a problem.  Orders will be taken by the class with an early December 2015 cut off date for a anticipated delivery by early March.

More details to follow but if you are considering replacing our rebuilding your prop this off season, please keep this in mind and PM me for more detailed information.

More to come!

#531 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:19 AM

Some J35 action on Tampa Bay:

rocket start 09.03.15.jpg

Hot Water foreground, rocket far end.

Rocket HCup 2015 1.jpg

We're down to 2, Time Bandit went to NS to be placed under a new mast.

#532 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:31 PM

Check out the class association web page www.j35.org  Some announcements including proposed class rule changes and a group purchase opportunity for a Gori geared flolding prop to replace the Martec.  No more flopping vibrating prop and a reverse that works.

#533 J35M8

J35M8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Fast, Sailing Faster and Faster!

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

Check out the class association web page www.j35.org  Some announcements including proposed class rule changes and a group purchase opportunity for a Gori geared flolding prop to replace the Martec.  No more flopping vibrating prop and a reverse that works.

Lartaunt,

Folks should know that each of these proposed changes has a discussion forum on the www.j35.org website where you can deposit your comments and thoughts.  The forums do require that you log in to the website before you can make a posting or comment.  Reading is not restricted.

Voting is coming up quickly and will only be open to paid-up members.  See the website for your membership registration form and get it in ASAP to be eligible to cast a vote!

#534 Tyson0317

Tyson0317

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Owned a 26ft Sloop.
    Sunk on a 26ft Sloop.
    Crewed on a 36ft Sloop.
    Bought a 35ft Sloop - J/35 Hull Number 251.
    Currently S/V Solution of Seattle.
    Former Standing Ovation of Gig Harbor.
    Former More Power of San Francisco.

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:42 PM

I bought a brand new Martec this spring because our old one would sometimes not open one of the blades. They looked at it, said that it could not be repaired - so I ordered a new one. New prop is much smoother and opens properly, but I think they screwed something up in the sizing or pitch - I lost a good .7 of a knot in speed with the new prop vs old. I hoped that the new prop would actually be quicker, but that was not the case. I have not had a chance to dive the boat and compare the numbers, but something is certainly not right. They either sent me the wrong size/pitch prop, or they didn't make the blades correctly. 

Really frustrating!! How much are these Gori props?

#535 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:16 AM

Have you looked at Flex-o-Fold?  Not as pricey as a Gori, and a nice piece of kit.  I had one put on my 109, and it was great...US Rep was really helpful too...

#536 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

I bought a brand new Martec this spring because our old one would sometimes not open one of the blades. They looked at it, said that it could not be repaired - so I ordered a new one. New prop is much smoother and opens properly, but I think they screwed something up in the sizing or pitch - I lost a good .7 of a knot in speed with the new prop vs old. I hoped that the new prop would actually be quicker, but that was not the case. I have not had a chance to dive the boat and compare the numbers, but something is certainly not right. They either sent me the wrong size/pitch prop, or they didn't make the blades correctly. 

Really frustrating!! How much are these Gori props?

The retail is $1375 but we have a Class Association group purchase going on now for $1000  for Association members See the www.j35.org for more details or PM me.

#537 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:47 PM

FYI,

The J35 Class Association has approved the pending class rule amendments. Details can be found at www.j35.org however the jist of the changes are as follows:

Rule 3.4.2  has been modified to allow for other props in addition to the Martec prop that came standard with the boat.  As the Martecs are wearing out there are alternatives.  The class is sponsoring a discounted group purchase of a Gori prop that is geared which eliminates the problem of a partially opened prop shaking the boat apart, and improves reverse thrust as well.

Rule 4.7.2 has been modified to allow 4 or 5 battens (instead of the previous 4 limitation)

Rule 5.5.1 Has been modified to allow up to 9 crew with no weight restrictions, and a weight restriction of 1650lbs for 10 or more crew.

If you are interested in participating in the prop purchase we are taking orders until November 15, 2015 PM me or email classpresident@j35.org, also more details will be up on the website shortly

#538 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:28 PM

Final notice: Last week to get in on the group purchase program for the Gori replacement prop.  Orders must be in by 11/15/2015  Go to the class website for more information wwwlj35.org or PM me.  These deadlines are hard as Gori shuts down for the year 12/18.  This is a great deal and we have gotten rave review on this prop. 

#539 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:58 PM

Our boat has a new assym. as we do a number of point to point races down and back on Tampa bay. We also have acquired an old staysail to set under it to help keep-up with the bow-pole boats on long reaching legs.

Any advice on set-ups, etc.? I think we have the basics as we have used a borrowed one before and seen it used on another 35 here.

#540 Fuoran

Fuoran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:09 AM

Just found this topic. I am acquiring J/35 called "Aorangi" at the end of February, hull #247. I am planing to race her, but will need to do some TLC first - pretty much all running rigging have to be replaced, redo most of the interior and exterior varnish, etc. ... Has anyone heard about this boat before? I am in Vancouver, BC

#541 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:26 AM

Boat has always looked good but hasn't won a lot over the years. You will be in a great fleet though, we have had some great racing in your division the last couple years. Will the boat be staying at VRC?

#542 Fuoran

Fuoran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:46 AM

Boat has always looked good but hasn't won a lot over the years. You will be in a great fleet though, we have had some great racing in your division the last couple years. Will the boat be staying at VRC?

She will be moored at Fisherman's Wharf. I don't think she left a dock much over last few years. It probably will take me a good year to "learn her ropes" and assembly a good crew (hopefully)

#543 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:18 PM

A couple of pics from a few weeks ago at the Tampa Bay Hospice Cup.

2016-Hospice Cup-1268-X2.jpg

2016-Hospice Cup-3165-X2.jpg

#544 Mr. Starbuck

Mr. Starbuck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

Good looking boat.

#545 TalonF4U

TalonF4U

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

Looking at buying a J/35 in the Chesapeake Bay area. The intent is for a performance family cruiser that I'll do a bermuda trip or two on, possibly shorthanded. I would imagine I'll be unable to avoid an OD race if there's one going on. There are several for sale. Anyone here enlighten me on the details of any of those boats?

#546 DrewR

DrewR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Porsche, The World, beer, more beer...

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:20 AM

I can't advise you on those boats, but in general wet core is the biggest issue with J/35's. TPI's quality control is somewhat, ah, questionable. As you probably know, get a surveyor who knows balsa cored boats and if you can find one who knows J's all the better.

The deck around the genoa tracks should be looked at carefully, the area forward near the mooring cleat, and the area around the exhaust are all spots I've either had to to fix or know of other J's with issues. Of particular concern on the 35 is if it has the built in Danforth locker on the Stb side, you WILL have rotten core if you have one. I've seen more than just mine that there is a crack from the edge of the locker to the chainplates and there will be wet core. I had mine removed.

The engines, Yanmar 3GM's are fairly bulletproof. 

PM me if you want, I have had mine 12 years.

#547 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

I can't advise you on those boats, but in general wet core is the biggest issue with J/35's. TPI's quality control is somewhat, ah, questionable. As you probably know, get a surveyor who knows balsa cored boats and if you can find one who knows J's all the better.

The deck around the genoa tracks should be looked at carefully, the area forward near the mooring cleat, and the area around the exhaust are all spots I've either had to to fix or know of other J's with issues. Of particular concern on the 35 is if it has the built in Danforth locker on the Stb side, you WILL have rotten core if you have one. I've seen more than just mine that there is a crack from the edge of the locker to the chainplates and there will be wet core. I had mine removed.

Wouldn't throw just TPI under that bus. Nearly every production built racers and racer/cruisers of that era that were raced a lot have wet core issues. S2 7.9s, 9.1s, 10.3s, Pearson Flyers, Tartan Tens, etc, etc...

#548 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

Check the transom by the backstay. Rocket has been repaired twice. Also the area around the keel...

#549 DrewR

DrewR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Porsche, The World, beer, more beer...

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:07 PM

Wouldn't throw just TPI under that bus. Nearly every production built racers and racer/cruisers of that era that were raced a lot have wet core issues. S2 7.9s, 9.1s, 10.3s, Pearson Flyers, Tartan Tens, etc, etc...

Yeah but TPI made my J/35 with the plywood block that was supposed to be in place of the balsa under the mooring cleat was off by a mile, underneath the mooring cleat was nothing but balsa letting water in.  That one cost me thousands to fix.  Can't blame anyone but TPI for that one.

#550 plbryant82

plbryant82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, reading, current affairs.

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

Hello everyone.

I just bought a shoal draft J 35 which was in Carlyle, IL.  I used to own and race a Holder 20, crewed on a C&C 39, family owned a Spirit 28.  I've captained a Hunter 37.5 and C&C 35 a few times.  I'm utterly new to the J line and am both very excited and moderately intimidated.  She arrives next week.  I'm curious if people follow the J 35 manual for rig setup (seems like maybe not).  I'm going to be sailing in Minnesota on Lake Pepin.  The lake is long, somewhat narrow, no real chop but has some variable (and normally fairly strong 20-25 kt winds) that buffet off of cliffs along the lee shore. 

I'd love any advice you'd offer about rig setup, tension, use of the backstay, etc.. Really, anything would be great.  One thing to also know, she has 4 working winches, 2 primaries and 2 on the cabin.  I assume you use the off primary for the spin sheet, the cabin tops for the guys?  Do you normally use "twingers"?  

As I said, any advice to this newbie is welcome.  I've read some of the stuff already on the forum about trim.  Some I understood, some not (for example, what do you mean by "drop the traveler"?  Does that mean move to windward or leeward?). 

Thanks very much - I'll post the hull number when I know it.  She was an original custom build with a custom shoal and a pedestal steering wheel.  I don't expect to race a lot, I do hope to be competitive while just out sailing about.  I will typically have 3 or 4 people (including me) on board, probably not more than 5 total if I were racing so I'll be short handed there.

Pat

#551 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:17 PM

Usually spin sheets on the cabintop, guys on the primaries, if you are running sheets and guys.  As far as rig settings.. More rake.  Always more rake.

#552 plbryant82

plbryant82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, reading, current affairs.

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:26 PM

Thanks

#553 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

From a Sail-World article on the 162nd NYYC Annual Regatta:

Last Laughs are the best laughs on Day I of the 162nd Annual Regatta

"...Right in the middle of the maelstrom was a 32-year-old J/35 from Houston, Texas, called Leading Edge. To that point, the race had been a mixed bag for Tom Sutton’s team, which includes his wife, son and many close friends. They’d missed some shifts on the first beat, and fouled a boat at the first mark, leading to a penalty turn. But they ground back when the breeze got extremely light toward the south end of Conanicut Island, and then made the right calls on the final leg, northbound through the East Passage of Narragansett Bay against a particularly tough ebb tide.

“We knew that was a graveyard (on the Newport shore) so we stayed away,” said Sutton. “Then when we were coming in (to the finish line), we were coming in so fast, and all these guys ahead of us were so slow and these were big boats, 50-footers. So we took our spinnaker down 100 yards before the finish line and we had so much momentum we just drove it on in. You couldn’t dream of a race like that. And I’ve been in the nightmares before, where we’ve been doing really well and the guys came up like that and blew us away.”

The team’s persistence and grace under pressure appears to have resulted in a win in IRC Five, and an overall IRC win for the race, which would earn Sutton one of two Rolex watches that will be presented to the top performances from the 162nd Annual Regatta. Both watches will be presented at the New York Yacht Club’s Annual Awards Dinner in November.

“That boat I’ve owned for 20 years,” said Sutton. “But this is a people deal. A boat is an inanimate object. People bring the boat to life. And we have great people.

That’s what’s so fantastic about our sport. Yeah you can spend a lot of money on your boat, but if you don’t have a great crew it doesn’t matter how much money you spend. It’s a family crew and they’ve all sailed all their lives.”

#554 Lex Teredo

Lex Teredo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Beer, bikes, a J/35, and beer.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

Hey all.  After coming close to getting a J/105... the fam & I went for a well kept J/35, hull #157 and we closed on it last week.  It has nicer amenities for family day sailing and cruising on the Chesapeake, and it's a pretty and powerful boat.  Plus I've been crewing on a 105 this season and have gotten tired of hitting my head on the cabin ceiling at least twice per race. The 105 is a great boat... but I was running out of forehead skin to sacrifice to it.    

We're looking to cruise her a little on the Chesapeake and do some weekend races after we come back from vacation in a few weeks just to get the feel, and will probably commit to a good number of weekend races in the OD class next year as we build up a crew and get in the swing of things.  Happy happy...

#555 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:59 PM

Nice choice. A J-35 is a great all round boat!

#556 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:19 AM

Excellent.

#557 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

Ya got a good boat Lex. You'll enjoy it.

#558 George Hackett

George Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:12 PM

these are great boats. you will enjoy her for many years to come.

#559 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

DIYC Tampa Bay Thursday start, J35 rocket below B32 Mad Cow, J35 Hot Water down to leeward, with a couple of J105's and 120 in the mix along with a stray J24 (late for their start) and two Farr 395's. rocket went on to take the win (2nd over the line a few seconds behind the B32) in a shortened race as the breeze went wacky and dropped-out to not much.

DIYC Thurs 07.14.16.jpg .

edit: that was with a crew of 14!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users