#101 Alfred E. Bush

Alfred E. Bush

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Interests:Trying to act intelligent

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:29 AM

Best J Boat ever? Hum...let me think for a moment...OH YES, the one I SOLD!

#102 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:02 AM

whats that one j105 back there....wet leopard, that's it..what happened to it?
I remember those dudes the very coolest

#103 dbows

dbows

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:J/30

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:48 PM

You would get laid the most on a J/65. So that would probably put it at the top of my list (-:

#104 JL92S

JL92S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

You would get laid the most on a J/65. So that would probably put it at the top of my list (-:

i hadn't thought of that, good point

#105 old slow yawl sailor

old slow yawl sailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:37 AM

I don't have any experience in the current generation of sprit boats, so I can only speak for the first "generation" of J's

Third place goes to the J28. Not a racer, but as nifty and well made fast cruiser as you could find.
Second goes to the J22. I remember when they first came on the scene I thought the J24 was the ultimate racing boat (and at the time it was), then I did the math and figured out that I had to find two new friends to add to my crew if I ever wanted to sail one competitively. I have a real problem making or keeping friends, so I settled for crewing on a J22 instead. Sweet little boat.

The ultimate J boat has to be Ranger...

#106 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Apart from sailing? Photography, Camping & Skiing.

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:01 AM

But can it plane? That is the question.

#107 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,964 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:53 AM

been very happy with how our 109 has worked for us. More or less fits perfectly to what what we wanted.

#2: J125. Just an awesome boat. Id love to see them try it again, even if i wouldnt be a buyer

#3: J145. Could see myself getting the equivalent, in a lifetime, as a boat to take off and do some distance sailing and racing

#4: J24: from what i hear, it brought OD back to sailing. fucken painbox to sail though...

#108 jerseyguy

jerseyguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

J-24 because it started it all. If that one had flopped it would have been much harder for anything to follow

J-22 because it works so well in so many places

J-27 bang for the buck

Personal favorite J-44. Races, cruises and can probably bring you through a nuclear attack in one piece

#109 J/133#1

J/133#1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, politics, law.

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:55 AM

J/133 - hands down the best competitive racer/cruiser out there. The 145 is getting a tad too big for couples of my vintage. I can and do race my 133 singlehanded and occasionally fly the kite by myself in the right conditions (15 TWS max). Couldn't do that on a 145. Boat is a delight to sail in my typical socal light air conditions. Very nice for one or two couple cruising as well. Certainly not a sled or as exciting as a 125, but, IMHO, the best combo boat out there.

SH Guadalupe Island race next week!

#110 sw190

sw190

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

I crew on a 22, call tactics on a 35, and drive a 24.... I love them all but my favorite is the 22 because the fleet in Lake Erie is so active it makes it a great, easy, and relatively cheap boat to campaign. And with NA's in Buffalo this summer it should be even better.

#111 PaulK

PaulK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:03 AM

I like ours. Why?EclipseOct05mini.jpg

We can beat all night into 6' waves, and then take off downwind at better than 13 knots. It also makes the J/35's crazy when we pass them.

#112 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:05 AM

We can beat all night into 6' waves, and then take off downwind at better than 13 knots. It also makes the J/35's crazy when we pass them.

is that a 36?

#113 PaulK

PaulK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:58 AM

is that a 36?

Yes it is. 1981 #14 .

#114 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

Maybe a J/97?

I know it brand new, and there is only one that I know of in the states but consider:

Unlike J/109 (which I owned and loved!) it represents a serious performance improvement over the "old boat in the line up it replaces" i.e. the J/30. (J/109 and J/35 PHRF around 72) J/97 should PHRF somewhere around high 90s (if committee is conservative) to low 100s (if you trust IRC to PHRF equivilency) and J/30 PHRFs around 144.

Has enough of an interior that you can cruise with your family or sleep on the boat during away regattas if you want

Sailplan means you only need 4 sails to be competitive at the club level (light-med jib, heavy jib, main, A-sail)

Crew of 5 or 6 could race it easily

Whats not to love?

Ok it can't plane....

#115 JL92S

JL92S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

Maybe a J/97?

I know it brand new, and there is only one that I know of in the states but consider:

Unlike J/109 (which I owned and loved!) it represents a serious performance improvement over the "old boat in the line up it replaces" i.e. the J/30. (J/109 and J/35 PHRF around 72) J/97 should PHRF somewhere around high 90s (if committee is conservative) to low 100s (if you trust IRC to PHRF equivilency) and J/30 PHRFs around 144.

Has enough of an interior that you can cruise with your family or sleep on the boat during away regattas if you want

Sailplan means you only need 4 sails to be competitive at the club level (light-med jib, heavy jib, main, A-sail)

Whats not to love?

Ok it can't plane....

done a bit of sailing on one and on paper it's nothing special but the whole but just works, it will win you any regatta you decide will take you anywhere in comfort and its only a matter of time before there's a od fleet northern Europe anyway. not sure what it will do in phrf because i don't race it but in irc anyway it was protested because someone thought it rated too low, could rate 30 points higher and it would still win

#116 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:54 PM

Maybe a J/97?

Whats not to love?

Ok it can't plane....

I wouldn't say it is a replacement for a J30. It is almost 32 feet long, whereas a J30 is under 30 feet. It's halfway between a J30 and J33, and a J33 rates faster than the new 97.

J Boats have not increased the performance of their boat models over the past 25 years, despite the new models having modern keels, lower CG's and larger sailplans.

#117 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

Maybe a J/97?

Whats not to love?

Ok it can't plane....

I wouldn't say it is a replacement for a J30. It is almost 32 feet long, whereas a J30 is under 30 feet. It's halfway between a J30 and J33, and a J33 rates faster than the new 97.

J Boats have not increased the performance of their boat models over the past 25 years, despite the new models having modern keels, lower CG's and larger sailplans.

Squal,
While the 97 may seem to fit right inbetween the 30 and the 33, if you look at all the numbers you see that the 97 really is much closer to the 30 then the 33. Yes its 1.67 ft longer. But then the J/33 is really 33.5, so its another 2 ft longer then the 97. Plus though the 30 is down on sail area, its also 1600lbs lighter and thus actually enjoys a slight advantage from a SA/Disp and Disp/L ratio standpoint. On the other hand, the 33 is longer, its still lighter (by 500lbs) and has significantly more sail area. So the J/33 enjoys significant advantages in SA/Disp and Disp/L over the J/97. Yet the J/97 rates closer to the J/33 then it does to the J/30.

J-30 v J-97 v J-33.png

#118 Jim Z

Jim Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:33 AM

how many J125's did J boats build?
What was the price new? (race ready, not ex factory?

16 - Warrior (fka "Velox" and now for sale) was the last one made.
$400k ready to race (w/sails, instruments, "tax license & dealer prep").

Hey ULDBGuy and Bow Junkie,

Thanks for the info...so a couple of comments and a few questions to you and the forum...

I believe I saw Velox (SN 51747 in Florida) for sale back in August 08 in Yachtworld for $199K. Also Narrow Escape (ex Javalin (originally kicking ass in SF)), now Double Trouble (back home and still kicking ass SF)SN 93204 for $175K October 08. Like some of the other comments I think the j 125s were way ahead of their time 10 years ago and still very competitive today. But $400K for Warrior seems a bit strong. Did Warrior (ex-Velox)have a keel up refit new electronincs, sails, professinal foil attention/ bottom job etc.? Warrior / Dr. Laura and crew won Carona Del Mar to Cabo this year with a few other J-125s in the mix right? Love to hear thoughts and comments...

With respect to this J-111 thread...is the J-111 effectively a smaller non-carbon version of the J-125? Any comments from the J folks on where the J-111 fits in the J boats mix? Will the J-111 be a good SF Bay boat?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments!

#119 Jim Z

Jim Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:37 AM

reply post spell check! sorry!

Hey ULDBGuy and Bow Junkie,

Thanks for the info...so a couple of comments and a few questions to you and the forum...

I believe I saw Velox (SN 51747 in Florida) for sale back in August 08 in Yachtworld for $199K. Also Narrow Escape (ex Javelin (originally kicking ass in SF)), now Double Trouble (back home and still kicking ass SF)SN 93204 for $175K October 08. Like some of the other comments I think the j 125s were way ahead of their time 10 years ago and still very competitive today. But $400K for Warrior seems a bit strong. Did Warrior (ex-Velox)have a keel up refit new electronics, sails, professional foil attention/ bottom job etc.? Warrior / Dr. Laura and crew won Corona Del Mar to Cabo this year with a few other J-125s in the mix right? Love to hear thoughts and comments...

With respect to this J-111 thread...is the J-111 effectively a smaller non-carbon version of the J-125? Any comments from the J folks on where the J-111 fits in the J boats mix? Will the J-111 be a good SF Bay boat?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments!

#120 ULDBGuy

ULDBGuy

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:21 PM

Yes, Warrior was completely redone - this is Dr. L's "m.o." You can also buy her redone 1996 J/105 for the price of a new one. Her old J/109 has been on the market literally for years, and I was told her redone J/92 and J/92S each sold for about half of what she was originally asking. I don't know what her J/145 went for but it was back on the market for awhile too. So the market will sort out the price - shiny gelcoat dulls and sails lose value quickly.

With the upswing in West Coast race wins, I think the J/125's are probably worth more now (but evidently not $399k = price when new). With less headroom than a J/105, age and limited alternative uses, I don't think their values will hold, especially with the J/111 available.

But if you wanted to give me one I sure wouldn't turn it down.

I haven't studied the spec's on the J/111 so someone else should comment on that.

#121 usa35018

usa35018

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:14 AM

This is why the J125 is the Best J boat ever. I just came across this video of Dr Laura's 125 Warrior training for offshore. The best J125 video footage I've Seen. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.c...o&feature=email

#122 JL92S

JL92S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

This is why the J125 is the Best J boat ever. I just came across this video of Dr Laura's 125 Warrior training for offshore. The best J125 video footage I've Seen. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.c...o&feature=email

great video. can't help but think that this has turned into the J125 forum

#123 ULDBGuy

ULDBGuy

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

I kept waiting to see a gybe.

Notice they're not all stacked on the stern to make it plane, they aren't taking tons of water over the boat (vs any Volvo boat), the angle of heel is nearly constant - very stable. Impressive.

They ought to hire Rod to design a Volvo boat.

Sorry 92S, this one's the best.

#124 JL92S

JL92S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

Notice they're not all stacked on the stern to make it plane, they aren't taking tons of water over the boat (vs any Volvo boat), the angle of heel is nearly constant - very stable. Impressive.

it's a fair point although if i had to own a j it would still be a 133 but if i had more money than god i would have a 125 as well, i did recently hear about a J133 hitting 26kts in the fastnet race 2007 but it would be interesting to think what the 125 would do in the same conditions hmmmmm food for thought

#125 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

Push that J125 as hard as any V70 gets pushed and you will definately see the decks buried.(probably break the J in two). I agree the j125 video is impressive, but the comparison to a V70 is absurd.

#126 ULDBGuy

ULDBGuy

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

I don't think the comparison is absurd. I've read how the V70 designers want the boats to be wet so the PR machine can make sailing look more "extreme." THAT is absurd.

#127 JL92S

JL92S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

"probably break the J in two" (quote)

could do, it's a fact that the J90 and the J125 were shockingly built

what a j volvo 70 could look like:
j6.50.jpg
j6.50#2.jpg
j6.50#3.jpg

#128 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

I don't think the comparison is absurd. I've read how the V70 designers want the boats to be wet so the PR machine can make sailing look more "extreme." THAT is absurd.

The V70 designers want the boats to be fast. Push any boat hard enough and it will be very wet.

#129 Perro Vela

Perro Vela

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:After sailing,
    Biking, Scuba, Surfing, Hiking, Music

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:16 AM

Dude,

Well, if that doesn't say it all, then here goes. Yep , J-24 really did bring regatta sailing, one design to the working class and For that it deserves #1

Personally, I've spent a lot of time on the J-105, all over the country, and found respectable fleets everywhere. It's a solid design, and the boat is strong, reliable and versatile. I've had the pleasure of delivering several, before and after racing. The Mac to Chi-town was the most memorable. Short handed in a sudden gale. No problem. I love that design.

All right Jtards, time for some religious wars. Which is the best boat J Boats ever produced, and why?.

#130 waterboy

waterboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:naval architect since 1988 BS, MS, PE

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

I've sailed/raced 22, 24, 27, 29, 30, 35, 105, 120, 122, 44.

Hard to say what's the best, different conditions and demands make for different choices.

As far as local sailing, the 22 and 29 are just all-round sweet boats. I think the 29 is my favorite.

Offshore, the 120 is my pick, at least in the upwind type races like Bermuda. The 122 is fast, but has ergonomic glitches that bug me, same with the 44.

The 24 is my least favorite. The ultimate pain box, but that class keeps going and going.....

The 105 one design for a boat that size is tough to beat. The boat itself is ok- not great, but it's built so that properly maintained old boats can stay in the mix, and class rules have made it fun for club sailors in the long term.

#131 Perro Vela

Perro Vela

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:After sailing,
    Biking, Scuba, Surfing, Hiking, Music

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

very well put.
agree with the 'Painbox' description

I've sailed/raced 22, 24, 27, 29, 30, 35, 105, 120, 122, 44.

Hard to say what's the best, different conditions and demands make for different choices.

As far as local sailing, the 22 and 29 are just all-round sweet boats. I think the 29 is my favorite.

Offshore, the 120 is my pick, at least in the upwind type races like Bermuda. The 122 is fast, but has ergonomic glitches that bug me, same with the 44.

The 24 is my least favorite. The ultimate pain box, but that class keeps going and going.....

The 105 one design for a boat that size is tough to beat. The boat itself is ok- not great, but it's built so that properly maintained old boats can stay in the mix, and class rules have made it fun for club sailors in the long term.

#132 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,258 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:23 AM

J24.......strong fleets after what 40 years? No keel boat can claim that.

None except Dragons, Etchells, XODs, Flying Fifteens and many other keelboat classes around the world that don't seem to have registered on your consciousness.

#133 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:20 PM

I hate J Boats.

And love the 125.

#134 quitpinchin

quitpinchin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:49 AM

All right Jtards, time for some religious wars. Which is the best boat J Boats ever produced, and why?.

This one.

Attached Files

#135 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts
  • Interests:j-boats, growing jalapenos and other horticultural experiments, chocolate labs,(R.I.P. Dexter my friend) bitching and complaining

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:29 PM

This one.

WOW! Nice port tack start. Did you have to duck any one ?

#136 quitpinchin

quitpinchin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:18 AM

This one.

Nope.

#137 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,890 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:59 AM

This one.

Nope.

Unclenched yet?

#138 quitpinchin

quitpinchin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

This one.

Nope.

Unclenched yet?

Yeah, the first two were close.

#139 Blackadder

Blackadder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:02 AM

This one.

I digress, I believe its this one

Attached Thumbnails

• 09SCYASAT630.jpg

#140 quitpinchin

quitpinchin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

This one.

I digress, I believe its this one

Connundrum. They are fewer, yet larger.

#141 draco

draco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:sailing-power boating-sailmaking

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:42 AM

I have owned three Js 100,35,44 and sailed 22,24,80,105- all good all different don't think there is one best-perhaps one best for a specific purpose on a given day relative to wind and sea.

#142 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

Used to own a J-24 but had to sell it when I had my first child. (I live 150 miles away from where I would chose to sail). Anyway, if I could afford it, I'd love to have a 30 somethin' footer. I've always liked the looks of the 109, but never sailed one. Looks like it would work for racing and family cruising and I'd want both. THe new 111 looks nice, but at a 7.5' draft I'd be getting stuck every 100 yards. All the boats that people on this site seem to like are deep draft as hell. THat is the same draft as a Swan 45! So bottom line, if I were buying 1 today and could write the check, I'd look hard at the new J95. Not sure if it would race well, though...even locally.

#143 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Apart from sailing? Photography, Camping & Skiing.

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:20 AM

The 122 is fast, but has ergonomic glitches that bug me,

Please elaborate

#144 bow junkie

bow junkie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Fast monohulls
    Custom rigging
    OpenFOAM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:40 PM

perfect proof right off the front page of my previous statement that 125s are the best

#145 JL92S

JL92S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

nice video

#146 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

Anybody who didn't like the videos of the 125 is just jaded. That is fantastic sailing and pretty incredible video

#147 JL92S

JL92S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

anyone know anything about wings of the wind being back in hamble?

#148 extrad

extrad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

J110

Won UK JOG offshore series 4 years in a row and inshore series for the first 3 of those years. Also won AZAB a year later. Last of the offshores won it with no discards.

Yes I'ld rather blast offwind in a 125 but you can't deny results. And being on the boat winning the offshores for the 4th year running with no discards was something special.

#149 jfdubu

jfdubu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

J110

Won UK JOG offshore series 4 years in a row and inshore series for the first 3 of those years. Also won AZAB a year later. Last of the offshores won it with no discards.

Yes I'ld rather blast offwind in a 125 but you can't deny results. And being on the boat winning the offshores for the 4th year running with no discards was something special.

If I'm not mistaken the J110 is a J35c with a sprint pole, correct?

#150 extrad

extrad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:43 AM

J110

If I'm not mistaken the J110 is a J35c with a sprint pole, correct?

Think it's the same Hull as the 35 not sure about the rest though. The one I raced was a French built 110 with different foil design to the original.

#151 teamnovi

teamnovi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

We are indecisive. So we ended up with a J/24, J/29, and J/35 in our classic J museum.

Check out photos of the boats on www.teamnovi.ca

#152 TwoLegged

TwoLegged

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:00 AM

"Best" depends on your criteria, and people here are applying a lot of different criteria.  Fastest for its size and era? Most versatile? Nicest to sail?  Different answers to each of them.

My criterion: biggest game-changer.  Disruptive technology, in the current jargon of the IT crowd.

1.  J/24.  A planing, easily-handled one design which completely outclassed it mass-produced contemporaries. At the time, most club racing in that size of boat was a distorted hull, heavy, tiny-mainsail, IOR quarter-tonner. Slow, and with a short competitive life.  The J/24 was easier to sail, much faster, and brought a wow factor wherever it appeared.  It wasn't the first one-design keelboat of that size, but it was the first of a new era and offered accommodation which Etchells, Soling, Dragon etc didn't.  In those days, crews slept on board their J/24s (which you couldn't do in the others), and we cruised our for weeks on end.
    The J/24's deck layout beat the hell out of the tiny cockpit of a production quarter tonner. Sure, newer boats much improved deck layouts, are faster, have much better LPS etc. But J/24 got sailors out of handicap racing in distorted-hull slugs.
  2. J/105 Another game-changer. The first mass-market sprit keelboat with accommodation, allowing lower-skilled and smaller crews to move beyond white sails downwind. With a huge cockpit on a fairly vice-free hull, it was a precursor to today's large day-sailers, while still offering offshore capability.

The Johnstones offered many boats which were more rounded designs, and many which were better boats in every way. But those are their two breakthrough boats.

#153 MauiPunter

MauiPunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, windsurfing, scuba diving, soccer, and poker.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:30 AM

J-65 hands down.    My only other choice would be "Endeavor".  ;)

#154 Sarc

Sarc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Sailing....I think

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:22 AM

1.  J/24.  A planing,

huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuahhahahahahuahuahauhauahhuahuaauaa

#155 goblew

goblew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:54 AM

Best J?

Mine!

Obviously!

End of debate.

#156 Mariner2442

Mariner2442

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:48 AM

J24 - Not because it was a great boat but because it was the right boat at the right time and had a tremendous impact on the sport, plus it remains a great and affordable way for younger generations to get into competitive sailing.

J145 - The best "all-around" boat ever made. Shorthanded to hawaii? no problem; Cruising with the family? Easy; around the cans? grab some buds and wipe the smile off the faces of the farr's and other "grand-prix" racers

J70 - J24v2.0. Doing the same thing for the sport today that the 24 did 40 years ago.

#157 TwoLegged

TwoLegged

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:01 AM

1.  J/24.  A planing,

Get the spinnaker up in a blow, and a J/24 can hold a steady 14 knots.  What do you call that?

Sure, newer boats plane much earlier.  But in the 1970s, the only other planing keelboat around our way was a Flying Fifteen.

#158 Sarc

Sarc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Sailing....I think

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

1.  J/24.  A planing,

Get the spinnaker up in a blow, and a J/24 can hold a steady 14 knots.  What do you call that?

Not planing.

Fastest recorded speed for a J24 was to the bottom.

#159 frostbit

frostbit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:13 AM

Boats for their time:
J35 of late 80's -hands down the most fun, reasonably affordable and competitive big boat fleet. Training ground for giants.
J70 now - 90 boat fleet for first NAs. Enough said. Also, a blast to sail and ultra-competitive fleet

Boat for all times:
J24 - monster fleets. Global adoption. Utter and complete pain box. Some hyper-specific non-transferable knowledge required to win.

#160 Lat21

Lat21

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:06 AM

I raced a J125 to Hawaii in 2008 Pac Cup. We averaged over 10 knots for 2200 miles. That included black, overcast nights with squalls to 30 knots and boat speed over 20 knots. Initially, you feel like you are on the edge and moments away from a wipe out. But the boat just gets up and goes.  Stability is amazing in those conditions.If fun is primary goal, the 125 deserves recognition as one of the top race boats by any manufacturer in the last 20 years. 

I loved it so much, after I sold the first one in 2010, I bought another last year (the original Rain Cloud). It is just finishing a refit in SFO in preparation for San Diego->PV, Mexorc and then Pac Cup this summer. 

But if you want a boat to take cruising on occasion, consider something else.The interior is as spartan as they come. And it has a hard time sailing to its rating in light stuff. 

J-145s are great boats but very expensive and it seems a bit contradictory to build a 48' carbon fiber boat and then put a bunch of furniture down below. I am clearly biased. But if you want a fast, comfortable racer/cruiser, the J145 wins.  A well sailed J145 will beat the J125 upwind in all conditions. But downwind in a big breeze, hang on and watch the J145 disappear over your stern. 

#161 MauiPunter

MauiPunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, windsurfing, scuba diving, soccer, and poker.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

1.  J/24.  A planing,

Sure, newer boats plane much earlier.  But in the 1970s, the only other planing keelboat around our way was a Flying Fifteen.

Doesnt a TEMPEST, STAR, ETCHELS and SOLING plane as well?  Those are older than the 70s.

#162 TwoLegged

TwoLegged

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

1.  J/24.  A planing,

Not planing.

I installed a John Cleese voice on my satnav.  Very very clear voice, but his wisecracks when reaching the destination ceased to be particularly funny after the first five thousand times.

Sinking J/24 wisecracks do eventually get a bit old too.

#163 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:15 AM

1.  J/24.  A planing,

Not planing.

I installed a John Cleese voice on my satnav.  Very very clear voice, but his wisecracks when reaching the destination ceased to be particularly funny after the first five thousand times.

Sinking J/24 wisecracks do eventually get a bit old too.

No.

No they do not.

#164 hip2b@c

hip2b@c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:21 AM

Without a doubt the J/130 everyone of them racing is a winner...

#165 Q-Douglas

Q-Douglas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:dinghy racing, daysailing, and restoration projects.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

I will always have a soft spot for the 27...especially in weather. Overpowered? Nope, just go ahead and point 10 degrees higher. Had some unreal times on that boat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users