393 replies to this topic

#1 pacice

pacice

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:41 AM

I am looking for a fun yacht for the family, and am looking at the Weta.
Is it as good and safe as everyone says it is?

I've see the photo's and I've seen the boat, but haven't sailed it yet. So far I am impressed by the construction and the neat little tricks to help with assembly.

I currently race a NACRA F17, which doesn't tick the family fun box.
Thanks in advance

#2 MoMP

MoMP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:24 AM

What's not ticking with the Nacra? Speed? Wet? Space? Comfort?

#3 pacice

pacice

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:07 AM

all the above and control.
Can't let the kids loose in the NACRA :D

#4 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,676 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:11 AM

I sail mine with my kids, 6 and 3, and it's fine. the 6 year old likes to drive.

I also race it on SF Bay in the heavy stuff. lots of fun.

I think it makes a nice compromise. Not too aggressive, not too tame.

Built very strong.

#5 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

I've see the photo's and I've seen the boat, but haven't sailed it yet. So far I am impressed by the construction and the neat little tricks to help with assembly.

Thanks in advance

Tell us where you are and I'm sure we can find you a ride on one

#6 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:13 PM

Made in China. You won't be seeing one in my driveway.

#7 Strategery

Strategery

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

It's a great boat. Extremely well built. Perfect for your use. It got my daughter and son fired up about sailing, and sailed really well with 2 adults in heavy air.

Enjoy.

C.

#8 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:F-24II

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:44 PM

I've had mine for about a year and a half now and I still love sailing it. It gets me on the water more often than any boat I've owned. It's well built, simple, easy to rig and store, and just plain fun to sail.

#9 unShirley

unShirley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Interests:surfing and sailing

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

Yes. Would all of us lie? :rolleyes:

#10 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:14 AM

Is that because you don't have a driveway? Or do you just like boats built in South Africa?

#11 Elegua

Elegua

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:34 AM

Stay away from the early hull numbers...there was a learning curve

#12 pacice

pacice

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:48 AM

Thanks for the comments
I have been watching them for the last year or so, and they seem to do what they were designed to do very well.

When I was a kid, my family brought a Windrush 12, which is a 12ft surf cat, and we have had years of fun on it.
But it's now 35 years old (at least) and the sails etc are getting a bit old, and we are looking at something to replace it.

I am going for a demo this Saturday so will see how it goes.

Thanks

#13 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:08 AM

Thanks for the comments
I have been watching them for the last year or so, and they seem to do what they were designed to do very well.

When I was a kid, my family brought a Windrush 12, which is a 12ft surf cat, and we have had years of fun on it.
But it's now 35 years old (at least) and the sails etc are getting a bit old, and we are looking at something to replace it.

Thanks

I think you will be pleasantly surprised, especially if there is any real wind.

Where are you sailing out of?

#14 pacice

pacice

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

Thanks for the comments

Thanks

Tauranga New Zealand

#15 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:39 PM

Is that because you don't have a driveway? Or do you just like boats built in South Africa?

Nope, have two driveways, one specifically to park boats on. Why are you under the impression that South African boats are made in China?

Just never saw anything yet that was worth a damn that said "Made in China" on it. Not one thing. Ever.

Can you think of one thing made in China that when you think of it, the word "Quality" pops out? Can you think of anything made in China that you would prefer over it's counterpart made in Europe, or Australia? Do you ever stand in the tool department of a store and see people searching out the stuff made in China because it's better value than stuff made in the USA?

Nope.

#16 unShirley

unShirley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

"Just never saw anything yet that was worth a damn that said "Made in China" on it." (GringoTCI)

I have: the WETA. Roger and Chris Kitchen, founders of WETA Marine, are very involved in quality control and, I believe, visit the China factory regularly to continue to insure quality control, among other things. The construction and finish on mine is equal or superior to any other production boat I have ever seen. I have had mine out in over 25 knots of wind w/ no breakage...not even any strain.

Check out BHyde's signature...it refers to his WETA

#17 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:37 PM

Well you may well be right. I have never seen a Weta. just a whole lot of other China made stuff.

I'd still buy a Hobie, but hey, to each his own.

#18 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:Kicking Ass and Going Fast

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for the comments

Thanks

Tauranga New Zealand

Well Weta Marine is in NZ ... So if you want to try before you buy ...call or E-mail Chris Kitchen chris@wetamarine.com
Mobile | +64 27 6343736 ...Tell him that filthy yank Vegas sent ya.

#19 Strategery

Strategery

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:57 PM

Well you may well be right. I have never seen a Weta. just a whole lot of other China made stuff.

I'd still buy a Hobie, but hey, to each his own.

Get on a Ta-Shing yacht...there are a bunch of boats built there that are of very high quality - both sail and power.

There are also many multi sails that are made there... just bought a full set that is of EXTREMELY high quality. Design is here in the US, fab is there. You'd be shocked at how many "local" sailmakers go this route.

That said - I'm all for buying local and American - I just won't discount any product because it's from a particular geo until I've seen it.

Nice blog by the way.

C.

#20 TornadoCAN99

TornadoCAN99

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:01 AM

Nope, have two driveways, one specifically to park boats on. Why are you under the impression that South African boats are made in China?

Just never saw anything yet that was worth a damn that said "Made in China" on it. Not one thing. Ever.

Can you think of one thing made in China that when you think of it, the word "Quality" pops out? Can you think of anything made in China that you would prefer over it's counterpart made in Europe, or Australia? Do you ever stand in the tool department of a store and see people searching out the stuff made in China because it's better value than stuff made in the USA?

Nope.

How about one of these:

Posted Image

;)

#21 pacice

pacice

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:29 AM

When for a quick test sail of the Weta yesterday. - It was great.
I was impressed with the smart ideas which are everywhere on the boat.
The neat way the nets are tensioned, and holds the beams in place.
The beach trailer is great as to how it can hold everything, and it fits onto a small trailer.

The sailing was in 15 knots of wind, and it was nicely powered up.
Upwind you loaded up the leeward float, and you just trucked along sitting above the waves and spray.
Downwind we popped the kite and away we went. When you pushed it hard, the leeward float could be pushed up to 3 feet under water, and you just kept on trucking.

You felt safe all the time, and it gave you plenty of warning.
The kids enjoyed it and so did I.

I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun family yacht.

#22 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

Nope.

How about one of these:

Posted Image

;)

Well, yes, you do have a point there. But would I,personally, prefer that brand over a comparable product from Europe or Australia? Given my druthers, probably not.

#23 Rhino 15

Rhino 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

If you ever get out on a race course with beach cats you'll be very disappointed. The Weta is very slow. Even in the Bay in heavy air the kiteless Nacras and Prindles lap them on twice-arounds.

#24 WetaDubai

WetaDubai

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Tri Weta...

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

I had a Windrider 16 trimaran, and around this time last year. I decided I wanted an upgrade. Researched everything available - wanted the performance / fun of a cat, without the hassle of righting, wanted to sail solo, with family & friends, cruise a bit on a lazy afternoon, but with the option to go fast now and again. I looked at a lot of options, and nothing came close to the Weta (at least on paper), so I took the plunge (without ever seeing or sailing one), and convinced a friend to do the same. I have been sailing every weekend since May 09, usually twice / three times, and am really pleased with the boat on many levels - I'm a Quality Manager by profession, and am very hard to please :) The fit / finish, ease of rig / derig (15 mins), ease of handling off and on the water (I usually rig / sail solo), and the blistering performance - even with a novice on board (me!) - just make me want to go out as often as I can. I have been to 15+ kts (gps) so far, and still have not capsized or pitchpoled - the stability is amazing.

Re the China Quality - Roger & Chris are well on top of it, and I have only broken a haliard strop so far. I am in Dubai - and I had a new one on the boat within 3 days...

I now race (badly) and have no problem keeping up with, or ahead of the Hobie 16's in the club - who may race more badly than I do.... - I still finish way ahead of the monos, and have more fun in the process (if that is permissible!).

Only reccomendation - try one in 15 kts !

Robert

#25 Surf City Racing

Surf City Racing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

I am looking for a fun yacht for the family.

Here are a few choices that may fit your needs, and here's why:
Great dealer support, high quality, worldwide class association, built in the good ol US of A (right here in CA), excellent parts availability, excellent warranty, easy to rig and sail, will beat many 'other boats' hands down on any point of sail, very high resale value (probably the best resale value of ANY sailboat), virtually indestructible, costs less than 'other boats'.

Hobie Getaway:
My friend Christophe and his wife off of Santa Cruz. They often sail with two young kids, but then go blast around themselves. The boat is very controllable.
Posted Image

A few of my young friends sailing around the Santa Cruz Harbor.

Posted Image

Add a spin if you want:
Posted Image

Also check out the Hobie Wave. It sounds a bit small for what you want to do. Hobie Wave

#26 pacice

pacice

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:17 PM

If you ever get out on a race course with beach cats you'll be very disappointed. The Weta is very slow. Even in the Bay in heavy air the kiteless Nacras and Prindles lap them on twice-arounds.

I have a NACRA F17, which we successfully race F18's Hobie 16's etc in, and it is fast.

The Weta would be for family to help introduce family to sailing. I have looked at a number of options including cats and monos, and the weta at this stage is coming out on top.

#27 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

Bzzzz, I call bullshit.

The last heavy air race I was in out of RYC (Totally Dinghy - Sept '09) didn't have any single-handed Nacras or Prindles. At least I never saw one and none were signed up. There were however 4 Nacra 5.8's and a Prindle 19 MX in that event. And of those boats, none of them even came close to lapping me, let alone lapping me twice. In fact, in a couple of the races I beat some of them to the weather mark and finished within a minute or two of them. And how many of the cats/I14's/Contenders/29ers/ICs went for a swim? None of the Wetas did. Even the Weta driver with exactly zero previous races under his belt managed to complete all three races without breaking a sweat. In the last year of racing in the SF Bay I've have never been lapped by any boat, skiff or multi, on a typical twice-around Double Sausage or Olympic course - in any conditions. And we usually are last in the starting sequence. The Weta is not that slow. If you ever get out on the race course with beach cats and it's blowing 20 with 2 foot chop, you'll have a blast on the Weta - not so much fun on a 5.8 I'm guessing.

I'm not bad mouthing the Cats. There is no doubt the Weta is not as fast as a Nacra 5.9 or Prindle 19. Put them on the line together in most conditions, and they'll win hands down - no question. It's also not as fast as an A-Cat or a 49er or an I14 or an F18 or a Tornado or many other boats. Then again these aren't single handed-boats, so it's pointless to even make the comparison. The Weta is not intended, and should not be construed, as a racing machine. Although we have great OD racing in SF, it's a general purpose, fun boat that can be handled by most anyone with a little small boat experience in just about any conditions. It's just a great grab 'n go boat and giggly fun when it's nukin'.

Btw: We really liked seeing the Nacras and Prindles at RYC. It's been a long time since multis, other than the Wetas, have been seen in force at RYC. I'm not sure why. I would greatly encourage our Cat brothers and sisters to come race in the upcoming season. RYC rocks for small boat sailing and we need to see more cats and tris.

#28 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:54 PM

Bzzzz, I call bullshit.

+1

#29 Windy6327

Windy6327

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:42 AM

Nope.

I can think of one fast and competitive/successful yacht that says "Made in China" that races from Sydney.

Yendys - built by McConaghy Yachts in their chinese factory. Its a 55ft'r off the top of my head. I can also think of alot of other products that are made in china that do their job very well. China isn't the home of all things crap anymore, they've worked out that if they don't make quality stuff their neighbour will make the same stuff, better & cheaper...

#30 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:02 AM

When for a quick test sail of the Weta yesterday. - It was great.
I was impressed with the smart ideas which are everywhere on the boat.
The neat way the nets are tensioned, and holds the beams in place.
The beach trailer is great as to how it can hold everything, and it fits onto a small trailer.

The sailing was in 15 knots of wind, and it was nicely powered up.
Upwind you loaded up the leeward float, and you just trucked along sitting above the waves and spray.
Downwind we popped the kite and away we went. When you pushed it hard, the leeward float could be pushed up to 3 feet under water, and you just kept on trucking.

You felt safe all the time, and it gave you plenty of warning.
The kids enjoyed it and so did I.

I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun family yacht.

Did you get out with Chris or his Dad?

#31 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:21 PM

I can also think of alot of other products that are made in china that do their job very well. China isn't the home of all things crap anymore, they've worked out that if they don't make quality stuff their neighbour will make the same stuff, better & cheaper...

I dunno. If a country that size that produces that many products for export can only point to one boat as being something of value over the worldwide competition...I think I would call that an anomoly rather than an indication of Chinese quality.

But I am certainly willing to be brought up to the latest state of things. What other Chinese products can you think of that do their job well?

#32 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

I can also think of alot of other products that are made in china that do their job very well. China isn't the home of all things crap anymore, they've worked out that if they don't make quality stuff their neighbour will make the same stuff, better & cheaper...

I dunno. If a country that size that produces that many products for export can only point to one boat as being something of value over the worldwide competition...I think I would call that an anomoly rather than an indication of Chinese quality.

But I am certainly willing to be brought up to the latest state of things. What other Chinese products can you think of that do their job well?

Might I direct your attention here: You Can Talk all Day About China
You'll find the freindly, courteous people there more than willing to help you with your understanding of just about any complicated topic, except for sailing.

#33 Lotion

Lotion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

Redneck twat...

#34 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Redneck twat...

In other words, no, you can't think of a chinese made product that is superior in quality to their non-chinese competition.

Or were you starting a discussion of your geneology?

#35 Lotion

Lotion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

Redneck twat...

In other words, no, you can't think of a chinese made product that is superior in quality to their non-chinese competition.

How about: Complete redneck twat?

#36 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:58 PM

Redneck twat...

How about: Complete redneck twat?

Looks like you have most of the pieces you need to be complete. A shame about the missing ones.

and not surprisingly, you have yet to come up with an example of a high quality chinese made product.

Don't feel bad. I couldn't think of one, either.

#37 unShirley

unShirley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

Might I direct your attention here: You Can Talk all Day About China
You'll find the freindly, courteous people there more than willing to help you with your understanding of just about any complicated topic, except for sailing.

+1
Hey Lotion and GringoTCI,
Please take your China geopolitical/economics discussion and personal attacks elsewhere, or PM each other. This is a discussion of the WETA.

I love my WETA and hope more SoCal sailors buy them so we can race. But even w/o racing, Gennaker reaching in 18 - 22 knots of wind with 3' seas on one of our typical summer afternoons cannot be beat :lol:

#38 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

I AM discussing the Weta.

Why would you buy that boat over a rotomolded Hobie?

#39 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,676 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:35 PM

Hello - I bought the weta over anything else out there - because there is nothing else out there that quite met my design brief. I wanted to keep the thrills of skiffs sailing, but be able to sail it with my wife and two kids, ages 6 & 3.

There are lots of family boats, and lots of performance boats, but this one hit a sweet spot in between. The construction is fine. Could it be lighter? yes, but likely at the expense of $s and less durability. Could the sailplan be better? Yes, I think that is the one weak spot, and as an owner we are addressing.

I don't know, but I'd guess a rotomolded version of this boat would be even heavier than it is as is, and that wouldn't be very good for performance.

If I measured it on a 1-5 scale

Design - 5
Build - 3 (nothing wrong with it, but not custom either)
Support - 5 We didn't even have a west coast distributor when we pooled together for the 1st container, the US East Coast guy (Jon)flew out when it arrived. There was a blade upgrade and that was also handled very well. Now that we have a west coast guy, we have someone setting calendars, carrying spares, and getting us out there. It's working well.

Nothing against the Hobie, but it didn't fit what I wanted design wise. That center hull provides a lot of security for the 3 year old.

#40 unShirley

unShirley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

I AM discussing the Weta.Why would you buy that boat over a rotomolded Hobie?

As Mitch pointed out, rotomolded is much heavier

Another boat I did seriously consider was the Hobie Getaway, but I chose the WETA because I prefer tris to cats. The Weta works for me for these reasons:

* singlehander with kite
* 12' width and tri configuration eliminates capsizing and trapezing (one can even cleat all the sails, although I usually don't cleat the kite)
* high performance thrills with a very simple boat
* relatively inexpensive and very easy to store, transport, use.

The Hobie Getaway, for me, is too heavy and cumbersome, can still capsize if one relaxes too much. I believe one option for them is a mast bobber (ugly).

#41 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:54 PM

I am considering a Hobie Getaway, too. Unless I am not seeing the right prices, the WETA is about half again as much as the Getaway.

#42 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:10 AM

I am considering a Hobie Getaway, too. Unless I am not seeing the right prices, the WETA is about half again as much as the Getaway.

Ringo,
Without a doubt, the Getaway, it's the perfect boat for you - at any price. And being a super high quality American made product, you won't have to lose sleep worrying about sending money to those evil Chinese fuckers. Every single piece of the Getaway in made right here in the US of F'ing A by God fearin' F'ing 'Mericans. The mast, the blocks, the aluminum crossbeams, the sails, the cordage, the decals? Yeah, US of A bitch! Even the super powerful Rotomold-O-Matic 6000 (deluxe model of course) that Hobie uses in their precision hull fabricating facility was built, wait for it...wait for it…yes, right here in the U. S. of. A! Fuck Yeah!

I actually just got off the phone with a Hobie rep, a guy named Raj Suminthfjuyjkuser, or something like that, and I asked him point blank, "Listen bitch! Is this shit All-American Built!? 'Cuz I don't want no Asian sailing voodoo shit floating around my 'Merican lakes and streams like some H1N1 bird turd," And he said, "Dude! Every single piece of this turbo beast is purchased only by English speaking Church goin' Americans, right down to the tiny sticker that says 'Made Right Here! Bitch.'" We're going to be okay with this one Ringo. These guys are our kind of people.

Seriously, I thought my Weta was actually built in New Zealand by people that looked just like me. I met the designer and I thought, "Hey! Here's a normal, white, English (kind of) speaking dude just like me. I can buy a trimaran from this guy." 'Cus let's face it Ringo, we gotta keep the cash in 'The Club', right? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Had I known that he was actually contracting out the fabrication to a bunch Atheist Commie Bastards living in some cardboard box shit factory, like I'm sure all 2 billion of those heathens surely are, I would have never bought it. Fuckers bombed Pearl Harbor and now we're buying shit from them!

Thanks for letting me see the world through your eyes Ringo. I'm actually starting to tear up a little here as i think about what you've said and stare at my George W poster on the wall...sniff, sniff...you're...you're a beautiful man. God Bless You and this Great Nation.

BTW: Next time you're in SF with Getaway, we muuuuust go sailing.

#43 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,676 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:38 AM

poetry, pure poetry

America, F Yeah!!!

#44 WetaDubai

WetaDubai

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Tri Weta...

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:27 AM

50% more $ for 300% more boat sounds like a good deal.
Forget the Getaway, go the Weta way. :)

#45 jayson

jayson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Sailing , kiteboard racing

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:48 AM

Ringo,
Without a doubt, the Getaway, it's the perfect boat for you - at any price. And being a super high quality American made product, you won't have to lose sleep worrying about sending money to those evil Chinese fuckers. Every single piece of the Getaway in made right here in the US of F'ing A by God fearin' F'ing 'Mericans. The mast, the blocks, the aluminum crossbeams, the sails, the cordage, the decals? Yeah, US of A bitch! Even the super powerful Rotomold-O-Matic 6000 (deluxe model of course) that Hobie uses in their precision hull fabricating facility was built, wait for it...wait for it…yes, right here in the U. S. of. A! Fuck Yeah!

I actually just got off the phone with a Hobie rep, a guy named Raj Suminthfjuyjkuser, or something like that, and I asked him point blank, "Listen bitch! Is this shit All-American Built!? 'Cuz I don't want no Asian sailing voodoo shit floating around my 'Merican lakes and streams like some H1N1 bird turd," And he said, "Dude! Every single piece of this turbo beast is purchased only by English speaking Church goin' Americans, right down to the tiny sticker that says 'Made Right Here! Bitch.'" We're going to be okay with this one Ringo. These guys are our kind of people.

Seriously, I thought my Weta was actually built in New Zealand by people that looked just like me. I met the designer and I thought, "Hey! Here's a normal, white, English (kind of) speaking dude just like me. I can buy a trimaran from this guy." 'Cus let's face it Ringo, we gotta keep the cash in 'The Club', right? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Had I known that he was actually contracting out the fabrication to a bunch Atheist Commie Bastards living in some cardboard box shit factory, like I'm sure all 2 billion of those heathens surely are, I would have never bought it. Fuckers bombed Pearl Harbor and now we're buying shit from them!

Thanks for letting me see the world through your eyes Ringo. I'm actually starting to tear up a little here as i think about what you've said and stare at my George W poster on the wall...sniff, sniff...you're...you're a beautiful man. God Bless You and this Great Nation.

BTW: Next time you're in SF with Getaway, we muuuuust go sailing.

funny

#46 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:37 AM

at least a million stalkers on the internet, and I gotta pick up the homosexual bastard offspring of a Chinese prostitute.....sheesh. I'm thinking his father was a MacGregor salesman,but we'll never know, will we.

Actually, there's not much chance of me going sailing with a rabid Obama Democrat. Their boats tend to fall apart at the first sign of trouble. But at least it sounds like he will be selling his beloved Weta and buying American in the future. So there's hope.

I think a week on a hunting vacation with Cheney and Palin would improve his outlook.

But its kinda sad that given two days to come up with the name of a single high quality Chinese made product, he has not been able to do it.

Not even one?

Hey I have the same issues. I have to buy Chinese tools all the time. It's a good thing they are half the price of decent tools, because you have to buy at least two of them to complete the job they were 'designed' to do.

But hey, if you know a Chinese made tool that is of high quality, one that you would choose over all others, I would sure like to hear about it.

#47 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,515 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

But hey, if you know a Chinese made tool that is of high quality, one that you would choose over all others, I would sure like to hear about it.

Attached Files

#48 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

Those are better than any other wok or cleaver? uh..yeah. I guess everyone can sharpen sticks pretty well by now.

Guess I should have stipulated at least one moving, or moveable, part. Lets face it, an otter with a rock has an anvil.

#49 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

But we are supposed to get away from talking about that nation.

What makes the Weta better than the Getaway? It's more money, less support, and it carries fewer people. From what I am reading, you don't have to be much of a sailor to operate it.

Come to think of it, in my case it's academic. I want to be able to take four people and a cooler with me. And a small dog. Rules the WETA out on that alone.

#50 nige

nige

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

blah blah blah

Not that I wanted to dive into this thread, but that black thing in my avatar is a pretty good example for you. (And its a boat, so pretty relevant to your claim I think).

... come to think of it, a bunch of people here chose the weta over any other product so I guess that answers your question too.

#51 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, sounds like a fun toy.

As far as that nation, hey, if you want to support them, why not? I mean, they are taking care of your kids for you..

http://www.foxnews.c...,582734,00.html

#52 Crabalocker

Crabalocker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Interests:Interested

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

Beware of anything posted out of the Turks and Caicos. It takes two of those displaced goofballs to make the same sense as one good dude from the Bay Area.

Look around, Gringo. Do your own homework on the topic and quit relying on ideas from folks who are entrenched in their bigotry. China isn't doing anything that the US didn't do back in the Industrial Revolution. Copy the good works of others, make inferior products with ultra-cheap labor and flame it out there with price cutting tactics. Quality work is obtainable from China, you just have to insist on the level of what you are willing to sell. If there's ultra cheap stuff in the US from China, it's because the American importers allowed it to be that way. Big profits, apparently mean more than big integrity.

If you really want to make some bones with your narrow minded friends, tell them that you just found out that Hobie is likely building their rotomolded stuff, as well as their sail loft products, from the efforts of Mexican workers.

Get on with it, my friend. It's called life.

#53 catsailordude

catsailordude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

The country of assembly makes no difference to quality. It's all about the quality control processes of the company making the product. Even products manufactured in the USA can be high quality if the Japanese are in charge of quality control (Honda, Toyota).

I've seen a WETA buzzing around the waters here and it looks nimble, quick and fun. The Getaway is more of a heavy plastic picnic table with a sail on it--good party boat, but lacking in the sailing experience category. Given how different the boats are, it seems that comparing the prices of the two doesn't make much sense. In my opinion, both are bargains, but only one is really about the sailing experience.

#54 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

blah blah blah

Not that I wanted to dive into this thread, but that black thing in my avatar is a pretty good example for you. (And its a boat, so pretty relevant to your claim I think).

... come to think of it, a bunch of people here chose the weta over any other product so I guess that answers your question too.

Nige,

From the first page of Ringo's blog (like anyone would actually be interested):

We have both long been interested in learning to sail. Oh we each could "sail" of course. I owned a 16 ft. daysailor on Cape Cod for many years, and we have each sailed Sunfish and Hobie Cat kind of things. She has been on a sloop in the Pacific Northwest and I once had a boss who took me out in the North Atlantic on a classic Cal 40. Our little rubber kayak 'Low Cay' has a sail. So we both know the basics, and have for a long time. But we wanted to learn to sail.. As in really sail. As in serious sailing. Well maybe not that serious. Not like four masted schooners or tall ships with hundreds of crewmen.

The dude actually named a rubber kayak and learned to sail, no I mean really sail, no I mean seriously sail on a Leopard 45 (aka Moorings 4500) Beeramaran. I can hardly wait for his critical analysis of the Weta vs. the Getaway. "Hey the Getaway let's me carry more drunk people than the Weta, burp. And you can slam into the dock with the Rotomolded hulls without spilling your beer. Therefore it's a better boat, burp."

#55 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

The country of assembly makes no difference to quality. It's all about the quality control processes of the company making the product. Even products manufactured in the USA can be high quality if the Japanese are in charge of quality control (Honda, Toyota).

I've seen a WETA buzzing around the waters here and it looks nimble, quick and fun. The Getaway is more of a heavy plastic picnic table with a sail on it--good party boat, but lacking in the sailing experience category. Given how different the boats are, it seems that comparing the prices of the two doesn't make much sense. In my opinion, both are bargains, but only one is really about the sailing experience.

Greengo knows the difference between the Weta and a Getaway. He's just making the comparison to piss people off. At least I hope that's what he's doing, because if he isn't, that would just be sad. Classic Troll.

God I wish Doug or Frank was here. At least they made me laugh.

#56 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

Greengo knows the difference between the Weta and a Getaway. He's just making the comparison to piss people off. At least I hope that's what he's doing, because if he isn't, that would just be sad. Classic Troll.

Hey, lots of people are still laughing at you. I been having fun making you jump up and down for two days now. Keep your chin up. Or should that be Chin?

By the way, you didn't get anywhere NEAR the 'first' page of the blog. That was 200 posts earlier. kinda like you didn't really call some salesman at Hobie, even though you assured us that you did..... You kinda have a recurring problem telling the truth, it seems.

But in any case, that blog is for friends and family. So, you'll have to stop reading it. Whatever excuse you use to stop is okay, just stop.

Go play with your chinese toys. If I had a nice enclosed bay to play in, I would probably want one too.

Did you get the new, 100% Cadmium one for consumption by US children only?

#57 catsailordude

catsailordude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

Greengo knows the difference between the Weta and a Getaway.

You may be giving him too much credit. I wonder if he knows how much of his beloved USA that the Chinese own.

#58 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

Germany
Russia
China
Mexico
Japan
Malaysia
France
Thailand
Brasil
Vietnam
USA
England
South Africa

Put them in order of quality products.

Who's last?

#59 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,676 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

that would likely be an "it depends"

#60 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Hey, lots of people are still laughing at you. I been having fun making you jump up and down for two days now. Keep your chin up. Or should that be Chin?

By the way, you didn't get anywhere NEAR the 'first' page of the blog. That was 200 posts earlier. kinda like you didn't really call some salesman at Hobie, even though you assured us that you did..... You kinda have a recurring problem telling the truth, it seems.

But in any case, that blog is for friends and family. So, you'll have to stop reading it. Whatever excuse you use to stop is okay, just stop.

Go play with your chinese toys. If I had a nice enclosed bay to play in, I would probably want one too.

Did you get the new, 100% Cadmium one for consumption by US children only?

No skin off my teeth Bingo. And you’re right; I didn’t, nor would I ever even contemplate, getting near your first blog post. Judging by your most recent post that would be like handling a literary used condom with a hypodermic needle inside. That's just asking for trouble. Hell, I had a hard enough time getting though your first........zzzzzzzzzzzz. Shit must have dozed off there. What was...Oh yeah.

The first page that is displayed from your signature link, however, makes you sound like a complete sailing novice. Nothing wrong with that, and there are many people here that would be more than happy to help you learn whatever aspect of sailing interests you. But did you come in here and ask question? No. You came into SA and started calling other people’s boats crap. A boat, I might add, you’ve never seen or sailed. A boat, I might add again, because I’m like that, that just was named Boat of the Year by Sailing World Magazine (not that anyone gives a shit about that). That makes you sound like a complete tool. A high-quality American tools no doubt.

And if your blog is for family and friends, god those poor people, then why do you have link to it? Are you saying that you have family and friends right here in SA? Who are they? Is one of them Carl M? Please let it be Carl M.

What!? I didn’t talk to the Hobie guy? Holy fuck Dingo, nothing gets past you. You’re a shrewd one.

Enclosed bay? Sorry, you're right. I’m much too scared to venture into open water. Maybe you could share with the rest of the class your Big Blue adventures. We’d love to hear them so we can revel in your sailing prowess and learn. Try to only include the stories that don't have a charter captain holding your nuts so you wouldn't piss in your Cornflakes the first time you saw a 3 foot wave or realized you were down to ten 30-packs or Bud Light. We're all really, really interested in how you...zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Fuck, sorry Blingo. I just fell asleep again. Probably lack of sleep worrying about what you think of the Weta, the Chinese, and anything else that didn't get the I'm-A-Retarded-Hick-Seal-O-Approval.

Are you still bringing the Getaway to SF? RYC Big Dinghy Regatta is just around the corner 'ya know. With your experience and steel-trap like brain, I can only imagine the virtual smack down you'd lay on everyone.

#61 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:10 PM

that would likely be an "it depends"

Depends? Like the adult diaper?

#62 unShirley

unShirley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

Germany
Russia
China
Mexico
Japan
Malaysia
France
Thailand
Brasil
Vietnam
USA
England
South Africa

Put them in order of quality products.

Who's last?

The point made earlier that you seem to have missed is: It isn't a matter of where it is built that determines quality. Quality is determined by the market segment being targeted and by who (not where) is in charge of quality control. i.e. The WETA is a high quality product because the market being targeted is highly discriminatory sailors and the quality control is being closely overseen by Kiwis Roger and Chris Kitchen.

That should be clear enough..... :huh:

But, perhaps I am taking this too seriously. I like beyeds contributions and am going to shut up now and allow him to carry on representing my point of view (whether he knows it or not). bi-eyed is much funnier and creative than me :(

#63 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

Damn, BH. It's a real shame we can't buy you at a fair price and sell you for what you think you're worth.

Lets see...so far you have come up with FUCKING ZERO answers to the question about quality goods made in China. Oh, you'll flap your gums about anything else, but bottom line...you haven't been able to come up with any answers to my questions about quality.

Sure I am a novice sailor. Did I ever state or infer otherwise? that's why I am on a sailing forum asking questions. About boat quality. remember?

Not sure how you figured changing the subject to my blog would somehow address the subject, which is boat quality.

you kid me for admitting I sailed a 'rubber' kayak, but seem to think your plastic chinese toy is made from, what, titanium? Wood? Oh wait, it's a plastic boat, too, isn't it.

Hey I watched the videos. They look like a lot of fun. I suspect a lot of monohull Laser-sailors-to-be like those little training wheels.

So, how many Leopard Catamarans have you sailed, there, Mr. Golden Gate? I have only sailed one for a week. But then, I don't have an issue with telling the truth. But lets hear how many years you have sailing cruising boats. Can we get a Hobie salesman to verify what you tell us? You being so tight with them, and all.

( I knew you lied to us about the Hobie salesman. Maybe you could seek out some help for that?)

And thanks for not reading my blog. I appreciate you honoring my wishes on that. And you can continue to use any excuse you want, but you see, Google keeps track of how many pages of it you read and how long you were on it.....

#64 nige

nige

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

I guess this is the nicorette for the DL cravings?

Its fun to see every now and a again. Which is going to inspire my next post to the bring back DL thread in DA.

I think its cute that Gringo considers us all family.

#65 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:03 PM

you left out the 'and friends' part....

Who is/was DL?

#66 THOR

THOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  • Location:brown water white knuckle racing, former Member Number 1957

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

lets all tell him that it is quite ok to buy a old F 27, even if it needs a lot of work, pack it full of stuff and start sailing from Florida to the Turks ......right away..

He has plenty of sailboat experience ( a week on a captained moorings 38 ) so what can go wrong ?...

and we dont all have to read that Chinese BS ......

Thor

#67 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

[quote name='GringoTCI' post='2664124' date='Jan 12 2010, 11:36 AM']Damn, BH. It's a real shame we can't buy you at a fair price and sell you for what you think you're worth.

Lets see...so far you have come up with FUCKING ZERO answers to the question about quality goods made in China. Oh, you'll flap your gums about anything else, but bottom line...you haven't been able to come up with any answers to my questions about quality.[/quote]
I thought it was a rhetorical question. I always thought there were no stupid questions, but I stand corrected. However, if you must know, how ‘bout we start with 14’ single-handle trimarans, and maybe end with any just about any textile or clothing product, raw steel/aluminum, just about every type of plastic or rubber, industrial solvents, photo reactive compounds, glass, adhesives, container ships, container to put on the ships, 14’ trimarans to put in the containers that go on the container ships, and about a billion other things it took me 3.2 milliseconds to find on the Internet that the Chinese are considered the top quality supplier of, if not the only supplier of. Sorry to break this to Gangrene, you’re a dinosaur. You might want to pull the Hummer over, Chinese by the way, and read a book or something.

[quote]Sure I am a novice sailor. Did I ever state or infer otherwise? that's why I am on a sailing forum asking questions. About boat quality. remember?[/quote]

Let’s get it right there sparky. You’re not even a novice sailor.

“Made in China. You won't be seeing one in my driveway.”

Recognize the quote? You should, it's your first post in this thread. Can you tell me where the question is? Go back and review your notes, there could be a quiz later.

[quote]Not sure how you figured changing the subject to my blog would somehow address the subject, which is boat quality.

you kid me for admitting I sailed a 'rubber' kayak, but seem to think your plastic chinese toy is made from, what, titanium? Wood? Oh wait, it's a plastic boat, too, isn't it.[/quote]

Hey does RIF mean anything to you? Right, Reading Is Fun. I made fun of you because you named a rubber kayak, which anyone will tell you is so, so very sad. Did the bottle of Cook’s break when you hit the bow? Oh, and remember, if the boat was previously owned and named, you have to ‘de-name’ it first. Fuck this up and you will certainly parish at sea.

[quote]Hey I watched the videos. They look like a lot of fun. I suspect a lot of monohull Laser-sailors-to-be like those little training wheels.[/quote]
Did you see me! Did you see me! I'm in the videos you know. I'm so excited, I'm famous. Maybe I'll start a blog about it.
You could be right about the training wheels. These guys seem to be enjoying them

[quote]So, how many Leopard Catamarans have you sailed, there, Mr. Golden Gate? I have only sailed one for a week. But then, I don't have an issue with telling the truth. But lets hear how many years you have sailing cruising boats. Can we get a Hobie salesman to verify what you tell us? You being so tight with them, and all.[/quote]
Leopard? Zero. My first boat was an El Toro and my second boat was a Beneteau 35s5. Cruisy enough for you? It’s all right there in my blog.

[quote]Google keeps track of how many pages of it you read and how long you were on it.....[/quote]
Really? You have my permission to post the stats because about two paragraphs into it I fell asleep. Might be nice to know how long I was out.

Does this mean you aren't bringing the Getaway to SF? [big sad clown frowny face]

#68 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

I guess this is the nicorette for the DL cravings?

Its fun to see every now and a again. Which is going to inspire my next post to the bring back DL thread in DA.

I think its cute that Gringo considers us all family.

I'm really starting to warm to the guy, but DL was just the shit.

#69 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

Well, since you can't keep it straight in your head, there's really not much use trying to discuss it with you. But for the record, I have never been on a Moorings charter, and never on a 38 ft. boat.

I owned a sailboat from 1981 until 2009. You really are not qualified to judge whether I am a novice or not. but if you put the time in, get a few years more experience, you can come back and we'll revisit it when you know a little more about the subject.

I think I saw you on the videos. Why weren't you sailing?

#70 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

Well, since you can't keep it straight in your head, there's really not much use trying to discuss it with you. But for the record, I have never been on a Moorings charter, and never on a 38 ft. boat.

Leopard 42/45's are sometimes known as Moorings 4200/4500's in charter/school service. Except for cabin arrangements (geared towards chartering), they are virtually the same boat. 38' boat? uh?

I'm sorry, what part am I not keeping straight in my head? The part where you said "Sure I am a novice sailor" or the part about Chinese quality. You got your answer on Chinese quality. The fact is that the Chinese make tons of high quality products, whether you want to believe it or not, The Weta trimaran is just one example. If you have specific questions about the Weta, I would be more then happy to answer them. But "It's Chinese, it must be crap" just doesn't fly. What kind of boat did you say you owned from 1981 to 2009?

Seems like you want to make an argument solely based on quality, instead of value. A Rolex is the highest quality watch you can buy (just an example). Is it the best value? Depends on what your trying to do and how much money you have to spend. If I'm a professional mechanic Craftsman and SnapOn are good values. If I'm just Joe Homeowner and trying turn one bolt, maybe the Harbor Freight stuff is the best value. Having owned a boat for so many years, I would think you would understand the cost vs. quality equation pretty well. Was every piece of your boat, or everything you every purchased for it, the highest quality available? Probably not.

If you want someone to tell you differences between the Getaway and the Weta, contact Jon Britt at Nor'Banks sailing. He uses both in his school and charter business. If you ask me the compare the boats, I really can't because I've never sailed one and they don't appear to be targeted at the same market, so it would be pointless anyway. But you can bet I'm not going to go over to the Getaway Forum and start calling it Mexican shit unworthy of my driveway.

Don't insult other people's boats Gringo, it's like insulting their spouse.

I think I saw you on the videos. Why weren't you sailing?

Um, that's...um, this is so embarrassing...that's not a...I think you got the wrong video.

...So SF on the Getaway for the Big Dinghy Regatta. You're in right? 'Cuz I'm signing you up.

#71 Surf City Racing

Surf City Racing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

...So SF on the Getaway for the Big Dinghy Regatta. You're in right? 'Cuz I'm signing you up.

For the Big Dinghy? On a Getaway? I'm there! :P

#72 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:45 AM

JFC! This is like deja vu all over again......you guys know not to feed the trolls.

#73 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:12 AM

JFC! This is like deja vu all over again......you guys know not to feed the trolls.

But Doug is GONE! Flicked FOREVER! What the hellfuckingshitpiss are we suppose to do, take methadone! Okay, okay,okay,okay, I need to pull it togetherrrrrrrrrrrah. Stay in controllllllllllllah. Aw Shit! For God's sake Trevor the Three Bridge Fiasco isn't until Jan 30th! That's like three months from now. What the HELL are we...what the fuck would you have...oh, wait I see the OYC Sunday Brunch Series has another race on Jan 24th. That sounds pleasant enough. They always have a nice little breakfast, maybe a couple of eggs, a little bacon, toast. Ok, never mind, I'm good. Yeah, no I'm good...

#74 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:18 AM

I shoulda known. ANYone who can write that a "Rolex is the highest quality watch you can buy "...

Well, that pretty much explains the rest of it.

I simply asked the wrong guy about quality.

you don't seem to know much about the Robertson & Caine boats, other than that you have never sailed one. Kinda like the Hobie Getaway, which you also have never sailed. Doesn't seem to strike you that knowledge of what you are talking about might be an asset.

As far as Chinese quality, I asked you if you could think of one example. You couldn't. So you Googled up the Chinese export PR for us.

What I had in mind was whether you could think of, i.e. not have to look to someone else, for an example of a high quality Chinese made product.

And after all your arm waving and name calling....the answer remains that...
No.
you can't.

#75 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:00 AM

Hello - I bought the weta over anything else out there - because there is nothing else out there that quite met my design brief. I wanted to keep the thrills of skiffs sailing, but be able to sail it with my wife and two kids, ages 6 & 3.

There are lots of family boats, and lots of performance boats, but this one hit a sweet spot in between. The construction is fine. Could it be lighter? yes, but likely at the expense of $s and less durability. Could the sailplan be better? Yes, I think that is the one weak spot, and as an owner we are addressing.

I don't know, but I'd guess a rotomolded version of this boat would be even heavier than it is as is, and that wouldn't be very good for performance.

If I measured it on a 1-5 scale

Design - 5
Build - 3 (nothing wrong with it, but not custom either)
Support - 5 We didn't even have a west coast distributor when we pooled together for the 1st container, the US East Coast guy (Jon)flew out when it arrived. There was a blade upgrade and that was also handled very well. Now that we have a west coast guy, we have someone setting calendars, carrying spares, and getting us out there. It's working well.

Nothing against the Hobie, but it didn't fit what I wanted design wise. That center hull provides a lot of security for the 3 year old.

Mitch,

What are you guys thinking of doing to the sailplan? I've been thinking about a new top mast section, a little less taper than current, with the kite halyard up about 2' from where it is now and a square top main.... Just for fun...

PS Gringo, I've got over 1,000 offshore miles on a chinese made yacht and felt safer than I was on a Carroll boat.

#76 unShirley

unShirley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:08 AM

Bhyde vs. Wrongo is almost as much fun as Leadmine37 vs. ORCA a few weeks ago. Keep throwing out the bait Bobby, you get a bite every time.

(Hijack) BTW: seriously, tho, what really did happen to DL? It was pretty entertaining watching him being lynched, too. Yeah, Yeah, on the web, I do seem derive guilty pleasure from rubbernecking trainwrecks. So shoot me...

#77 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:17 AM

Next on Bass Masters...bzzzzzzz, plop. reel, reel, reel...

I shoulda known. ANYone who can write that a "Rolex is the highest quality watch you can buy "...

you don't seem to know much about the Robertson & Caine boats, other than that you have never sailed one. Kinda like the Hobie Getaway, which you also have never sailed. Doesn't seem to strike you that knowledge of what you are talking about might be an asset.

Umm, when someone says that they didn't sail a particular boat(s), and then you repeat the exact same thing in the next post like it's some kind of Revelation, you look like a Douche Nozzle. Well more so anyway.

As far as Chinese quality, I asked you if you could think of one example. You couldn't. So you Googled up the Chinese export PR for us.

I gave you several examples. You clearly cannot read or choose to be completely out of touch with reality. What item in my list are you saying is NOT the highest quality available? Let me guess, you're not going to answer that question either.

And after all your arm waving and name calling....the answer remains that...
No.
you can't.

Trevor forgive me. It's winter you know.

Silk. The Chinese make the best silk in the world - bar none. Would you care to disprove that? No I bet you won't.

And I noticed you never answered my question, or anyone else for that matter. Here's an easy one, I'm thinking you should be able to get this one:

What. Boat. Did. You. Own?

I'm getting the distinct feeling your not very proud of your boat. You had it for 28+ years. Tell us all some stories . Yeah, I didn't think so.

If you'll going to be a Troll Gringo, please pick your game up. I current have you at DL Level 2 (1-100 scale) and Frank M Level -13 (-100 to 1 scale). Try making up some facts or watching some Fox News, seems to work for lots of other dipshits.

Your not coming to RYC with the Getaway are you? Oops, sorry that was a question.

toodles...

#78 dal

dal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:photography

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:23 AM

Thanks in advance

Fun for the family being the priority; check out these kids faces !
Sort of sums it up ;)
cheers Dal

Attached Files

#79 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,676 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:26 AM

Anything I'd do to the weta would be class legal. Since we're racing now - any sail change would have to have owner consensus. As we get more experience, I could see us addressing the jib first. IMHO only.

Would I like more power, sure, but again I'm racing OD, not development.

#80 THOR

THOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:52 AM

lets ask the expert whats the difference between a Robertson & Caine , a Moorings and a Leopard
after a week in the captained cat this at least should be easy.

thor

#81 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:43 AM

you seem fixated on this 'captained' cat thing.

Perhaps you know of a way to take sailing instruction without an instructor on board? Now if you want to start trying to get some mileage out of us taking sailing courses, go to it. Doesn't bother me at all.

I am starting to realize that I probably did more sailing in that 0ne week of instruction than some of you have done in the last five years all put together, in your protected bays and freshwater lakes.

As far as the Chinese being able to take credit for silk, that's kinda like someone else getting the credit for inventing honey. Or leather. An insect produces it. Living where the insect lives doesn't exactly mean you had a hand in teaching it to spin silk.

Or rocks. how bout that one? The Chinese build the best rocks in the world. Yeah, that's sounds about right.

next you'll be praising General Tao's chicken as a technological marvel.
Come to think of it, to you .... it probably is.

#82 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,515 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:35 PM

let it go gringo

you've already said the weta isn't of interest to you

and the getaway is

certainly more getaways sold than wetas

you can't go wrong

#83 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

Sure. Its just kinda fun to watch these bozos congratulate each other each time one of them manages to get his beer can open. I suppose that's major progress in some circles.

But hey, I'm okay with letting it go. I know some people are fans of sloops, some people like yawls. Lots of people like cat rigs. There are monohull fanatics and multihull proponents. So, I am sure there is plenty of room in sailing for fans of the Chinese junk.

#84 Mike T

Mike T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

Bob
Hey the Bass are biting! It's a little slow at the moment because of the cold, but they are out waiting for the magic lure! Keep up the great fishing! (Sorry for the high jack) Oh what ya doing in May? Any plans yet? We want to come out San Diego then San Fran! or would fall be better? Have a good day of fishing! Michael

#85 THOR

THOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

I am starting to realize that I probably did more sailing in that 0ne week of instruction than some of you have done in the last five years all put together, in your protected bays and freshwater lakes.

difference we didnt need a babysitter on board......

what "open water " ( versus protected bays and lakes ) you are actually refering to in your week patzing around the US Vi's?

thor

#86 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:04 PM

Perhaps you know of a way to take sailing instruction without an instructor on board? Now if you want to start trying to get some mileage out of us taking sailing courses, go to it. Doesn't bother me at all.

Shit Gringa, you owned a sailboat for 28+ years. I would think after you impressed the sailing school with your skills they would have let you just take the boat out without the panty liner charter captain holding your Johnson. Hell, a week on an L45 and you're a regular Captain Stabbin'.

As far as the Chinese being able to take credit for silk, that's kinda like someone else getting the credit for inventing honey. Or leather.

Nice try nadsack. You didn't say anything about 'inventing' anything or having to live in a specific place. Your claim is that the Chinese have no product, yes silk is a product, that is the highest quality.

Silk from China is the highest quality silk available anywhere. You're wrong. Smack down complete. Advantage -> bhyde.

Hey, you still didn't answer my question. What sailboat did you own for 28+ years? Kind of weird how your blog doesn't really mention it. Of course I didn't get off the first page (thanks for the warning), so maybe there's a "Gringo and his Sunfish take on the Perfect Storm" story in there somewhere.

#87 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

Bob
Hey the Bass are biting! It's a little slow at the moment because of the cold, but they are out waiting for the magic lure! Keep up the great fishing! (Sorry for the high jack) Oh what ya doing in May? Any plans yet? We want to come out San Diego then San Fran! or would fall be better? Have a good day of fishing! Michael

WhooooooooWeeeeeee. Hooked myself a big 'ol Budda Bass, sometimes known as the Toolfish.

Come on out anytime. I'll let you and the offspring take the Chinese Junk out. The Dominatrix and I will probably be coming out in March or April to have a little 70/50 party, so we can make some plans then.

And more importantly, call your friends a Station Miami because the Toolfish thinks he is going to sail an F-27 to the Bahamas. The F-27 is not the weak link in that chain as you might imagine.

#88 Stephan Sonnenschein

Stephan Sonnenschein

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:08 PM

The MacBook I'm writing on says 'Designed in California Assembled in China'. I think it's of quite good quality compared to other notebooks I had.
I can say the same about the Weta. Now is the design origin New Zealand as good as California? I guess when we talk about sailboats many would say yes.

I hope that was a constructive contribution to your discussion...

#89 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

Bob

WhooooooooWeeeeeee. Hooked myself a big 'ol Budda Bass, sometimes known as the Toolfish.

Come on out anytime. I'll let you and the offspring take the Chinese Junk out. The Dominatrix and I will probably be coming out in March or April to have a little 70/50 party, so we can make some plans then.

And more importantly, call your friends a Station Miami because the Toolfish thinks he is going to sail an F-27 to the Bahamas. The F-27 is not the weak link in that chain as you might imagine.

Gosh, Foghorn Leghorn in the flesh. And all those years I thought you were a cartoon, instead of a caricature.

Hey, I googled the silk thing, since I didn't know any more about it than you do. And you're wrong. Nobody says the Chinese produce the best silk in the world. They simply produce the most. Lots of other places produce silk. And since it comes from bugs....any place that has the same bugs will produce those bugs's silk. Its not like the Chinese have anything to do with it. the bugs would produce silk for the Ethiopians if they had them there. Not like China has any advantages other than size. Certainly not quality.

Gosh, talk about smackdowns. You have lost most of your toes and are bleeding to death here and your friends keep egging you on.

hey, by the way, thinking about you shitting yourself thinking of sailing to the Bahamas... I realized that sailing from Florida to the TCI might seem scary to someone who's horizons are surrounded by cable cars, rusty bridges, and toy boats, but people do it all the time. Really.

You should read up on it. It might inspire you to try open ocean sailing some day, too.

Oh, before I forget, can you shed some light on the F 27 for us? You know, to go along with your expert opinions on Hobies, Robertson & Caines, and the long list of other boats that you personally have never set foot on.

#90 Foghorn77

Foghorn77

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

Gosh, Foghorn Leghorn in the flesh. And all those years I thought you were a cartoon, instead of a caricature.

Nope, I'm very real.
You really should start a new thread if ya just want to have a pissing match, and stop stinkin' this one up.
It's almost entertaining.

#91 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:03 PM

well, lets see. The topic was whether or not the Weta was any good. My questions are about things made in China, which includes the Weta boat. With me so far? On topic, right?

The self-annointed butthead show, on the other hand, wants to talk about my blog. Or ask What kind of boats I have owned. Or what kind of boats I have sailed on. Or all kinds of things about me personally. Or Taking an F-27 through the Bahamas...

NONE of which has anything to do with either the topic itself, or my questions about Chinese quality.

So I humbly submit I am not the one 'stinking' it up, here. Maybe someone needs to shampoo their moustache.

But the San Francisco fellow who adores silk would seem to be the one with the scattered shit.

#92 Multihauler

Multihauler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:03 PM

Oh, before I forget, can you shed some light on the F 27 for us? You know, to go along with your expert opinions on Hobies, Robertson & Caines, and the long list of other boats that you personally have never set foot on.

Uh Oh!!!!

Don't think you should have gone there G-man!!! ;)

-MH

#93 Stephan Sonnenschein

Stephan Sonnenschein

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

well, lets see. The topic was whether or not the Weta was any good. My questions are about things made in China, which includes the Weta boat. With me so far? On topic, right?

The self-annointed butthead show, on the other hand, wants to talk about my blog. Or ask What kind of boats I have owned. Or what kind of boats I have sailed on. Or all kinds of things about me personally. Or Taking an F-27 through the Bahamas...

NONE of which has anything to do with either the topic itself, or my questions about Chinese quality.

So I humbly submit I am not the one 'stinking' it up, here. Maybe someone needs to shampoo their moustache.

But the San Francisco fellow who adores silk would seem to be the one with the scattered shit.

The MacBook I'm writing on says 'Designed in California Assembled in China'. I think it's of quite good quality compared to other notebooks I had.
I can say the same about the Weta. Now is the design origin New Zealand as good as California? I guess when we talk about sailboats many would say yes.

I hope that was a constructive contribution to your discussion...

#94 THOR

THOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

hey, by the way, thinking about you shitting yourself thinking of sailing to the Bahamas... I realized that sailing from Florida to the TCI might seem scary to someone who's horizons are surrounded by cable cars, rusty bridges, and toy boats, but people do it all the time. Really.

You should read up on it. It might inspire you to try open ocean sailing some day, too.

yeah people do it all the time .. they also jump off bridges all the time ...... GO FOR IT

Open Ocean sailing ... where again did that happen ? from Christymas Bay to Cruz town aint open ocean my friend

big Cats .... you are the expert so whats the difference ..you have been on one after all you by all people should know ...

#95 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,676 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

quality product from china - limited to what's on my desk only

The Lamp, laptop, phone and screen all seem pretty good. As does the Oregon Scientific weather station. (the windows operating system on the other hand)

Does Taiwan count? If yes, add the Garmin GPS.

That's just what's sitting on my desk.

#96 SMP

SMP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

This guy can't get away from bashing chinese products, he's even doing it on his blog.

#97 smart like tractor

smart like tractor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

I happen to own a very nice boat made in China, a Nordhavn 50. Well, I inherited it from my old man and it's for sale, because I would rather have a sailboat, but it's a damn nicely built product. I also happen to be in the manufacturing business, and while most of the products that used to be made in the USA and have been taken over to China and made there instead are not as good of quality as they were when made here, it's really a matter of having a good QC system in place and controlling your raw material supply and your techniques throughout the process. The problems arise when companies just source shit from chinese manufacturers because they promise them a dirt-cheap price and them accept the crap they get from them. If they want to spend the money to have the quality system in place and the people to administer it, plus a good handle on the raw material quality, then high quality stuff can be made anywhere. And you will see this in the cost. Are Nordhavns cheap? Not really, but they are cheaper than a comparably US-built boat. And Wetas are pretty expensive too. Seems to me because they have to pay more to have the things built to a certain quality standard.

Obviously, though, on the lower end of the spectrum, Chinese built shit is simply that, shit. Are any of the tools that Harbor Freight sells as good as US made Craftsman stuff? Hell no. But even Sears is having shit made in China too so take a good look at that Craftsman tool before you buy it and see where it is made. The hand tools are mostly US built but the electrical stuff is mostly China built now.

But it's a moot point because quality shit CAN be built there. Remember what the US perception was of stuff built in Japan in the '60's and '70's? Same as the current perception of shit built in China. Can they do the same as the Japanese and revise that perception over the next 20 years? You bet your ass they can.

Seems to me that Ringo is pretty much a clown though. Have to agree with Bhyde. Are you going to tell us what kind of boat you owned all those years was? A Mac26 or something? I have yet to sail on a Weta but I've seen them up close and personal (helped a couple of locals rig theirs one day) and I wouldn't mind owning one. What with the other 4 dinghies I have right now it's just not really plausible. But they're pretty nicely built and rigged from my manufacturer's trained eye. And they look like a lot of fun to sail. Which is what it really boils down to.

#98 GringoTCI

GringoTCI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

If I am a clown, looks like I found the circus. Were you waiting long?

Hey, if you are a manufacturer, and are now sourcing stuff in China that was once built in the USA....you are manufacturing cheaper junk that you used to. And you know it.
I don't expect you to admit it, of course. you are, after all and like the Chinese, in business to sell this stuff.

My experiences with Chinese made products is 100% bad. I have two Olympus 'waterproof' cameras sitting here on MY desk, that despite the Japanese name were built in, you guessed it, China. two of them. Neither one work. they lasted about a year each. So, which group does this reflect upon, the japanese with their oft heralded Quality Control issues, or the Chinese manufacturers who will sneak the cheapest parts they can buy into the cameras and ruin what was once a good name? the Chinese don't care if Olympus cameras get a bad name. hell, it's a JAPANESE company. they hate the Japanese.

And as for Jerkall and BHyde's opinion that some boats don't deserve a name....well maybe with a few more years maturity he will realize that a boat without a name says a lot more about the soul of the owner than it does the price of the boat.

#99 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

Hey, I googled the silk thing, since I didn't know any more about it than you do. And you're wrong. Nobody says the Chinese produce the best silk in the world. They simply produce the most. Lots of other places produce silk. And since it comes from bugs....any place that has the same bugs will produce those bugs's silk. Its not like the Chinese have anything to do with it. the bugs would produce silk for the Ethiopians if they had them there. Not like China has any advantages other than size. Certainly not quality.

Ok, so who makes higher quality silk than the Chinese? Name the country and name the specific manufacturer. Or you can just admit you're a racist dipshit. We already know this of course, but it's a good first step to admit it to yourself.

I'm sorry did I say I was thinking about sailing to the Bahamas? When did you sail from Florida to TCI? Tell us about it. What boat did you use?

Does offshore racing count? Please let's us know when you decide to try open ocean sailing.

I think Multihauler would be the person to ask, he's owned one for many years and has extensive racing and offshore experience with them. My memory isn't all that good about the boat since it was about two-weeks ago when I was last on one.

#100 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

Sorry I must have missed the question about the Weta. Could you repeat it so everyone is on the same page?

Add homophobic to you're long list of mental problems.

Is the Getaway thing still a go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users