#1 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

We're driving north to meet the crew of Stu Hebb's "Thin Ice" for the Key West Race, forecast is chilly but downwind, and the fleet is going to be tough as hell. LOTS OF GREAT INFO will be rolling into this thread, including video, pictures and live text updates from the rail. If it is as light as currently forecast, I will be able to get off the rail and send in maybe hourly video updates, but certainly every three or four hours plus text from the rail. You can read the run-up thread here.

Event Site

Official Blog from Dixie

The IonEarth Tracker is live. Have a look - it is gorgeous, and don't forget to check out Sol's hard work putting pics of the various buoys on it.

#2 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

Scratch Sheet Here:

http://www.yachtscor...eet.cfm?eID=297

#3 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

Weather looks like it will clock and make for a nice DW push the whole way on the racers SWerly ride:

From Wunderground's marine forecast:
Synopsis
Winds will become north to northeast at 15 knots or less through tonight with seas 5 feet or less. Easterly flow will return to the area by Thursday as surface high pressure develops eastward into the Atlantic. Winds will increase out of the southeast Friday through Saturday in advance of the next cold front and then southwest Sunday. Showers and thunderstorms will increase later Saturday and become numerous Saturday night and will decrease Sunday.

#4 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,831 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:56 PM

We're driving north to meet the crew of Stu Hebb's "Thin Ice" for the Key West Race, forecast is chilly but downwind, and the fleet is going to be tough as hell. LOTS OF GREAT INFO will be rolling into this thread, including video, pictures and live text updates from the rail. If it is as light as currently forecast, I will be able to get off the rail and send in maybe hourly video updates, but certainly every three or four hours plus text from the rail. You can read the run-up thread here.

Event Site

Official Blog from Dixie

The IonEarth Tracker is live. Have a look - it is gorgeous, and don't forget to check out Sol's hard work putting pics of the various buoys on it.

No pics, no history when I checked.

#5 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

Headed out the Cut from Derecktor - light air but at least not freezing. Video loading now. If you want to get the videos the minute they load rather than waiting for me to post here you can always go to http://www.youtube.com/blocksail or connect to my facebook or twitter page below.

#6 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

Video intro, meet the crew:

#7 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

I'm starting posts to the SORC blog now here: http://sorcblog.org/

I'm on station on the RC boat, just saw Clean go by on Thin Ice.

Different Drummer just checked in.

Gorgeous day out here. Not to hot or cold. Light breeze out of the NNW at the moment.

#8 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

From Sol - Easy time. Having lunch. No news.

Ya know he's thinking about that warm shower he'll have later, just after dinner is served.

#9 Russ @ IonEarth.com

Russ @ IonEarth.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

[/quote]

The pictures don't show up on the buoys yet. I copied and pasted the description from his websites and word docs and there were some invisible characters it didn't like that stopped anything from showing up.

I'm testing things on the side and I'll post the pictures and descriptions as soon as I can. I'm having to re-type everything by hand because I can't see what the computer doesn't like about copy / paste.

Your patiences is appreciated,

Russ Ryba,
IonEarth
(when in doubt, blame me) ;o)

#10 Russ @ IonEarth.com

Russ @ IonEarth.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

Class PHRF C, Bandana #USA 42725 is in not going to be able to start. They are stuck in the river and they're waiting for a bridge that won't open.

I'm going to wait a bit to make sure they don't change their mind, then I'll take them off the web tracking site.

#11 Marvin

Marvin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Sailing (Duh!)

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

The tracker is showing Thin Ice still at the dock with 0 boat speed at 12:47EST ? Did I miss something...

#12 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

That explains Bandana...what up with Thin Ice still showing up the creek in Liquordale Harbors?

#13 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

I just saw that. They are definitely out here. My understanding is the RC is working with Russ to work out a few kinks.

#14 noDriver

noDriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

That explains Bandana...what up with Thin Ice still showing up the creek in Liquordale Harbors?

Clean forget the tracker on the dock? To busy shooting movies? yeah.

#15 Marvin

Marvin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Sailing (Duh!)

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

I just saw that. They are definitely out here. My understanding is the RC is working with Russ to work out a few kinks.

Never mind... I just noticed the report time for all the yachts is 12:00pm... Duh! no wonder I couldn't see any boat movement (and I thought it was a slow connection at work...)

Russ, what is the refresh rate for the transponder during the race?

#16 MNK

MNK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

All looks great guys. Nice work.
Looking for pics of 40.7 racing against Clean.

Good luck and have fun sailing to the only warm place in the States.

Freezing in the north
MNK

#17 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

Never mind... I just noticed the report time for all the yachts is 12:00pm... Duh! no wonder I couldn't see any boat movement (and I thought it was a slow connection at work...)

My understanding is 15 minutes.

IRC and the PHRF boats are off now.

Rambler made the first gybe out and the next time I looked, 1/2 the IRC fleet had followed suit.

I hope to hear soon from them about what they are seeing, etc.

#18 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

tracker seems locked up...

#19 Russ @ IonEarth.com

Russ @ IonEarth.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

The tracker is showing Thin Ice still at the dock with 0 boat speed at 12:47EST ? Did I miss something...

Only 7 of the 50 units transmitted their position at 1:00 PM. There are occasional holes in the satellite coverage but they only last for a minute or so at most. I believe it was just unlucky timing on our part... 15 minutes later everyone is checking in right on time.

#20 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

Is the tracker going to be updated to show useful DTF values? Right now they appear to be straight-line (ok, maybe great circle) distances to KW.

#21 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

Yah, working now. Great job and thanks!

#22 Russ @ IonEarth.com

Russ @ IonEarth.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

All the boats will be reporting in every 15 minutes.

They were previously set to report every hour and some of the units took a while to kick over to race speed. It looks like everyone except RimShot and Santarella are running at 15 minutes now. RimShot and Santarella will hopefully pick up the speed change at 2pm.

#23 Russ @ IonEarth.com

Russ @ IonEarth.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

Is the tracker going to be updated to show useful DTF values? Right now they appear to be straight-line (ok, maybe great circle) distances to KW.

Right now they are distance to finish in nautical miles using the haversine formula which is pretty accurate except for around the poles. So yes, more or less straight line across a globe.

I don't have another method for computing distance to finish ready to go for sailing events.

BTW, what would you consider useful for distance?

#24 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

Right now they are distance to finish in nautical miles using the haversine formula which is pretty accurate except for around the poles. So yes, more or less straight line across a globe.

I don't have another method for computing distance to finish ready to go for sailing events.

Useful to me is how much 'sailing' distance to the finish, right now they would need wheels. ;-)

A simple thing (but way more programming than you want to do today) would be to pick out say 4 of the marks and calculate the distance each boat has to that mark PLUS the distance from that mark to the finish. Similar to a route in a GPS, the marks being used for each boat would be updated as they were passed. The more marks, the better but there is the issue that boats aren't necessarily passing through these marks so as the distances get small, things will get a little screwy. That can be somewhat solved by switching to the next mark when a boat is still some distance from the nearest mark (maybe 5-10nm).

I hope that is clear as mud and thanks for giving us something to watch!

#25 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

Anyone know what's up with the CF 38 "Tangent?" She seems to be scurrying back and forth over in the weeds by Snyder Park...tracker left in a car trunk or something?

#26 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:03 PM

Tangent is racing, according to the PRO, but it may be a problem with the tracker...

#27 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

Thanks Dixie!

#28 Digital Vibrations

Digital Vibrations

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Where in the world is Finnesse going? There can't be enough wind out there to battle the Gulf Stream?

#29 Russ @ IonEarth.com

Russ @ IonEarth.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Useful to me is how much 'sailing' distance to the finish, right now they would need wheels. ;-)

A simple thing (but way more programming than you want to do today) would be to pick out say 4 of the marks and calculate the distance each boat has to that mark PLUS the distance from that mark to the finish. Similar to a route in a GPS, the marks being used for each boat would be updated as they were passed. The more marks, the better but there is the issue that boats aren't necessarily passing through these marks so as the distances get small, things will get a little screwy. That can be somewhat solved by switching to the next mark when a boat is still some distance from the nearest mark (maybe 5-10nm).

How about if I assume a rhumb line from start to finish through each mark, then compute the ladder line for each boat, then take the distance the rhumb-line distance to ladder + distance of ladder line. I use something similar in land races, except a race of this distance would normally have thousands of points to work with.

If that sounds desirable I can have it working for the next sailing event.

#30 Russ @ IonEarth.com

Russ @ IonEarth.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

Tangent is racing, according to the PRO, but it may be a problem with the tracker...

Checking on that now. Matador is officially "Did Not Compete". I may have the trackers for Matador and Tangent mixed up...

#31 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

We changed out tracker units and hopefully are showing now. We're chasing down TeamWork now, bit of a gybing duel. Videos loading.

#32 miahmouse

miahmouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

I keep waiting for the refreshes to occur...
i feel like what about bob...
Posted Image
"baby steps to 15 minutes... "

#33 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

How about if I assume a rhumb line from start to finish through each mark, then compute the ladder line for each boat, then take the distance the rhumb-line distance to ladder + distance of ladder line. I use something similar in land races, except a race of this distance would normally have thousands of points to work with.

I think that's it if ladder line is an extension of the mark perpendicular to the race's track at that point. For example, if the track was due south such as it is more or less right now, the ladder line would extend E/W. Is that a correct interpretation?

Thanks again!

#34 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

Getting ready

The Pure Yachting 24 goes by:

#35 miahmouse

miahmouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

who's doing the blog?

#36 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:46 PM

The Rambler:

#37 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

Dawg set the OTWA page up really nice, with tracker and links to all the important stuff. Check it. http://www.sailinganarchy.com/otwa/

Intro to our fleet:

#38 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

From the blog:

Peeled to an S kite‏
January 13, 2010 by sorcblog
From Primal Scream:
13:57:29 wind 8.1 at 358
15.36nm @187 to the sea buoy

Breeze is up slightly so the call was made to peel to an S. Good call. Great look as we travel just outside the main pack of boats. Jibing just about every 7-9 min to try and find a depth with a favorable current. Not found one yet. Beautiful day. Great day to be sailing instead of working. The 80 footers have not left the fleet behind yet which is interesting. The key to this so far seems to be which boat is willing to work the hardest to sail to their targets at all times.
Posted in Fort Lauderdale to Key West Race | Leave a Comment »

Start – From Badfish
Clean start, knocked off IRC 2 boats fairly quickly. Pondered peeling to code 1, but are sticking with the 2. Melges is wicked fast in the light! – Graham Garrenton

Good Start, but where’s the wind?
From Ross Hunton on the J46 Full Deck:
About an hour before the start, the wind dropped from the beatiful 15 knots we were seeing to about 9. Oh well. We got a nice start in clear air, and with the wind from dead aft and our full kite, we’re slowly moving out on most of the a-kite boats. It’s a struggle to keep things pulling, but so far so good. At least it has warmed a bit and everyone is shedding gear between puffs.

A good race begins with a good start
From Scott Giering on PHRF B “Primal Scream”

13:14:23 337 degrees at 6.1

IRC boats started going towards the beach and jibed out. Not sure why since the countercurrent always seems to be close to shore. Maybe a draft issue. Light breeze, at least lighter than we would all like it. “A” kite was for sure the call to keep the apparent wind up. Unless something changes big, a shot at the record is probably not in the cards. 18.60 nm to the Miami sea buoy at 186. Heading 234, at this rate we are looking at many jibes. Not sure I am going to make breakfast at Pepe’s.

The racers are all off and running.
I will continue with reports as I get them from the boats and other updates from the RC and OA all evening.
For our first time blogging out here, we’ve seen over 530 page views. Impressive stuff. – Paige Brooks

PHRF A & B are off and All Clear
Everyone’s got their kites up at the start. The IRC fleet has pretty much split 50-50 – some gybing out (probably looking for breeze) some heading toward the shore.

IRC boats are off
Pin end looked to be the favored end. Only Santarella started near the middle. After the crowded pin end start, Rambler went for the gybe out to sea

Inside of 5 Minutes to the start
Wind is light – about 5 or 6 knots and the water is relatively flat. The boats will likely start with their kites up.

From Bobby Meagher on Double Trouble
The entire cre aboard Double Trouble breathed a sigh of relief just now after recovering from a near catastrophe. It turns out, the shoppers only brought 2% milk for the cappacino machine, NOT the half-and-half clearly indicated on the stores list. Fortunately we were able to hail for emergency assistance and a support vessel was able to run it out to us without too much delay. I’ll tell you, even with great preparation, tragedy can strike at any moment.

Rambler Just Swung By our Transom
Wow what a big and gorgeous boat. Ken Read is aboard in the afterguard.

#39 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

Inside five minutes to the start:

#40 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:57 PM

Graham Garrenton is on Meridian 2 not Badfish

Go the Meridian

#41 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

Just after the start:

#42 miahmouse

miahmouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

Graham Garrenton is on Meridian 2 not Badfish

Go the Meridian

ditto...

#43 catman vb

catman vb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

Where is Patriot, the big catamaran? I do not see it on the tracker, thugh it is on the scratch sheet.

#44 Russ @ IonEarth.com

Russ @ IonEarth.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

I think that's it if ladder line is an extension of the mark perpendicular to the race's track at that point. For example, if the track was due south such as it is more or less right now, the ladder line would extend E/W. Is that a correct interpretation?

Thanks again!

That's pretty much it. The ladder line is the shortest distance from the boat to the rhumb line. It has it's own inaccuracies to deal with, but it's a better estimation than straight line.

#45 Russ @ IonEarth.com

Russ @ IonEarth.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

Where is Patriot, the big catamaran? I do not see it on the tracker, thugh it is on the scratch sheet.

The scratch sheet was never updated.

Merlin, Patriot, Tiger, Ringle, Sama Pi Ti, Matador, Ocean Dancer and Bandana are all Did Not Compete. I am not in charge of the scratch sheet, but I've taken them off the tracker.

Also all my records show the that little box intended for Tangent is in fact cruising around Fort Lauderdale. Still waiting on confirmation, but everyone is on the water at the moment.

#46 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

We go out to sea for more pressure...

#47 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

We're just working down the shore, 1/4 mile behind Teamwork, taking little bites out of them. Just picked up a big lift on starboard, gybed toward shore and in 12 knots of nice stuff. It's warming up too, no jackets on deck.

#48 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

Looks like Badfish and Meridian are duking it out

#49 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

Great work.

Hope the breeze fills and gives all a good ride.

#50 miahmouse

miahmouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

they're both glad the mighty Wairere isn't there...

#51 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

And...the pressure isn't there. Melges 32 Badfish crosses us after starting 5 or 10 behind.

These guys are in our class, but they shouldn't be with us. Or we shouldn't be with them...

We make some gains inshore - and meet our crew, including the youngest skipper at the Star Worlds this year, 19 year old Filip from Sweden.

#52 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

they're both glad the mighty Wairere isn't there...

Damn right. 10kts, bye bye

#53 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

It'll be a little bit before I get more vid up. We have maybe a crossing situation coming up with Teamwork so I'll film that, and a report before sundown, and get some snapshots.

Thanks for tuning in!

#54 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:49 PM

hey clean, any sign of rimshot? their tracker seems biffed
carv

#55 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:10 PM

looks painful on that big assed slug!

#56 Pesky's Pole

Pesky's Pole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

The Tangent is haulin the mail down 95 at a 53 knot average!

#57 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

Just rolled Teamwork a mile after the Miami sea buoy. They gybed out, we're hanging in shore for a bit more, gotta gybe out for Fowey and then stay outside an imaginary line for the rest of the way down. Vids in a bit.

#58 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

Must be a hate mission for JD on the Bennie in this stuff with that tiny kite.

Some pics up on the blog, \

#59 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,831 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

Nice enough ride so far. Carinthia just inside of us. Thin Ice and Teamwork up ahead of us, and Meridian and Badfish a bit further up. Comfy on the Swan, but I can't help but recall how nice it was to have a steward on Jasmine for the race to Charleston. I need a chef at home, or a bartender at least.

Night time upon us. Enjoy.

#60 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for info on Meridian 2 vs. Badfish. Good catch y'all I'll make the changes.
I'm heading to KW right now, just south of Marathon.
The water seems to be showing a few more ripples, but nto a lot of wind here as the sun goes down.

Meanwhile here are some more Blog updates

US 1 – Key West Bound
I’m on a white boat called a Suburban with Ken Batzer on “the way to Key West. As we crossed one of the bridges from island to island, we saw the wispy almost out of focus clouds covering the sun. Ken said: It’s shaping up to be a wicked red sunset.”

The finish line team is closing in on the sea wall where they will be on station all night in folding chairs outside an RV.

Viewership on the blog is now at 1,470!

Posted in Fort Lauderdale to Key West Race | Edit | Leave a Comment »

Primal at Miami Sea Buoy
From Scott Giering:

16:47:53 wind 11.1 at 25 degrees
10.01 miles at 187 to fowey rocks

Much later than we would have liked and closer to our completion than we had hoped. Pole well back and looking for some waves to surf. Will have to work real hard into the night to get time back on the other boats. Where is the 15 to 20 we kept hearing about. Temp starting to drop. Will be a cold night and little moon to help us with the section we will be sailing just after dark which is littered with mooring and dive buoys. Should be interesting. Hope all make it safely through the mine field. One of the best parts of this race is watching the sunset from just beyond the reef heading south hoping that the race will be over before the next sundown. The next sundown will hopefully be in Mallory square in Key West with a nice stiff drink in hand celebrating another great run.

Dragon Flyer?
From Sol Rosenberg on Dragonfly Plus:
Worked inshore after sea buoy, to clear the stream. Fairly satisfied with where we just gyned back to Fowey. East of Carinthia, but well inside of Teamwork and Thin Ice, who must still be taking some stream on the chin. Well matched with Carinthia. Going to be a long and busy night.

Game On!
From Ross Hunton on the J46 Full Deck:
Just finished a trick on the wheel. Breeze is up, the boat is starting to take the bit in her teeth. Yehaa. Trading jybes with bluto santarella and primal scream at the Miami sea buoy. Good fun.

A little busy
From Chris Woolsey on Dragonfly Plus

Off of haulover, right behind Carinthia. Breeze has come up a bit, and the big boat is much happier. Wish we had the inventory to consider changes, but alas, we have one small A-Kite, and one headsail. Working a bit now.

Crew member Stu Starkey says we are refining the art of jibing to a science‏
From Scott Giering on Primal Scream
15:08:55 wind 10.9 at 13 degrees
9.53 nm at 188 to the sea buoy

Puffs and good pressure running just outside of the second drop off. Port qtr rollers five to six seconds apart creates a great gentle roll. The COG is the same as our BRG to the mark. Staysail going up. Great work!!

#61 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:52 PM

Photo from the deck of Full Deck
photo.jpg

#62 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:13 PM

The sun has nearly set. Wonder if anyone saw a green flash...

#63 mainsheetgirl

mainsheetgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

She lost her rig a week or so ago. Think there is a pic in the other FL-KW Race thread.

#64 cold water sailor

cold water sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:10 AM

Wow

This is so much fun getting videos of the race it feels almost like I am there and part of the race.

Keep up the good reporting.

#65 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:33 AM

The videos really rock Mr. Clean!
I'm on my way to grab a bite, but in the meantime,
Here are a few more updates from www.sorcblog.org

Passing Lane
January 13, 2010 by sorcblog (aka Dixie)
From Bob Meaghar III aboard Double Trouble
It took a while but the breeze is up and our two hulls just passed three – L’Outrage, Sea Turtle, and Mirage if the tracker is accurate. Gotta go back to the maim salon now outta this breeze – seems chilly.

Dark
From Graham Garrenton aboard Meridian 2
Nightfall. Still locked in combat with Badfish. Under kite and life is good.

#66 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:34 AM

hey clean, any sign of rimshot? their tracker seems biffed
carv

what's the issue with the tracker? I checked about an hour ago and they seemed to be doing as expected.

#67 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:59 AM

Sorry for the bad info earlier. Tangent, for those who were asking actually did NOT start.
They were in fact going 60mph down 95 and are bringing the boat by trailer. Evidently they couldn't get it out of the yard until 6pm I don't know much more than that.

#68 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:19 AM

That's too bad. I saw her in a yard up this way about 3-4 weeks ago and she looked ready. I was wondering why a boat would look that good, on the hard, up here in December. Sux when the boat is ready but logistics foul up the works.

Thanks for the info Dixie.

#69 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:23 AM

My roving reporters for the SORC blog are slowing down in their blog posts, but from what I can tell the wind has picked up and it's gotten a lot colder here. I have the weather channel on here in the room (we were locked out of going to the finish line over night) and all the news on at the moment is about the tragic earthquake in Haiti. From the tracker it looks like the boats have picked up a bit of speed, so it won't be quite the slow ride we first thought.

#70 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:46 AM

Just had a flurry of emails from the racing boats, they're posted over on the blog. www.sorcblog.org

Here's the marine synopsis from wunderground:

Synopsis For Keys Coastal Waters From Ocean Reef To Dry Tortugas
Synopsis
A large high pressure system centered over the Appalachian Mountains this evening will weaken as it shifts southeastward tonight and Thursday. Moderate breezes and moderating temperatures are in store for Thursday. However...by Friday a low pressure system will be developing in the Gulf of Mexico...and breezes will be freshening again from the east and southeast. The low is expected to track well north of the Keys with a trough pushing through the Keys on Sunday.

The approximate shoreward edge of the Gulf Stream as of January 11... 13 nm south of Dry Tortugas light...on Loggerhead Key. 4 nm south of Cosgrove Shoal light...off the Marquesas Keys. 2 nm south of Sand Key light...off Key West. 12 nm south of Looe Key...off Big Pine Key. 23 nm south of Sombrero Key light...off Marathon. 20 nm southeast of Alligator Reef light...off Islamorada. 8 nm southeast of Molasses Reef light...off Key Largo. 13 nm east of Carysfort Reef light...off Ocean Reef. Gulf Stream information courtesy of the naval oceanographic office.

If you go to the racetracker and click on the white markers, you'll see that a lot of the pack are just past Carysfort and approaching the Elbow.

#71 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:56 AM

Here are some of the recent posts:

From Bangheadhere on Full Deck

Didn’t think we’d be blast reaching tonight but here we are. The wind filled in from the northwest and we’re flying. Just finished an hour on the helm- solid 8’s and 9’s the whole time. We’re rumblin down the course…

----

Changing the kite in chilly night weather
From Chris Lanza aboard Thin Ice

Its 9PM and the temperature is dropping. We have to change to the 3A…yeah! Pulling away from the B fleet. Will be sailing alone soon.

----

Sunquest has turned back
We don’t have further information, but on the race tracker, the Benateau 43 has sailed back up Biscayne Bay.

----

Distance racing with someone next to you helps to push you along….
From Sol Rosenberg on Dragonfly Plus

Busy with Carinthia. We finally got the pass, they are right on our stern. Trackers must look overlapped. I could throw them a beer…and if I thought it would help us, I’d offer it.

Good stuff.

----

Now that’s what I’m talking about!
From Scott Giering on Primal Scream:

20:38:15 wind 13.3 at 341
0.40 nm at 206 from “4″ at Turtle

This race has taken on a completely different look as the wind continues to be stubborn about clocking into anything that looks like the northeast. We peeled to a reacher “S” kite as the wind has built to 14. Staging the jib top just in case as we get ready to do our approach at the elbow. Carysfort always has so many buoys that we have had to break out the night vision gear make up for the lack of moon light. The spirits are good and we are sailing fast. Just may make that breakfast at Pepe’s yet.

#72 crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:57 AM

Sorry for the bad info earlier. Tangent, for those who were asking actually did NOT start.
They were in fact going 60mph down 95 and are bringing the boat by trailer. Evidently they couldn't get it out of the yard until 6pm I don't know much more than that.

They had to wait for interior components to be re-built and re-installed before they could race again with current rating. KW consortium was waiting for them to arrive so they could inspect boat.

#73 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:04 AM

Signal! Man we hauled some mileage on Team work back there, but now different drummer is speedifying up to us. We went to the A3 when we were a bit overpowered on rhumb, then a breeze drop flattened us out a bit. Probably should go back the runner, but in a few short miles is another mark and we need to turn a bit right there.

Vids loading - this is fun!

#74 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:21 AM

Signal! Man we hauled some mileage on Team work back there, but now different drummer is speedifying up to us. We went to the A3 when we were a bit overpowered on rhumb, then a breeze drop flattened us out a bit. Probably should go back the runner, but in a few short miles is another mark and we need to turn a bit right there.

Vids loading - this is fun!

This explains why I had the "flurry." I've had a chance to go through a few vids...looking forward to watching more when things slow down here (if you can believe it).

It's cold in KW - how cold is it on the water?

#75 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:25 AM

This was the 420 report - sorry for the delay!

And this is where we finally came up even with Teamwork:

#76 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:29 AM

They had to wait for interior components to be re-built and re-installed before they could race again with current rating. KW consortium was waiting for them to arrive so they could inspect boat.

It's PHRF, couldn't they work out a provisional just to do the race?

#77 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:33 AM

Nice little shot from Allen Clark and Photoboat

And some rolling of Robin Team:

Attached Thumbnails

• 17850_285099150419_721385419_5046477_3469191_n.jpg

#78 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:48 AM

Rambler's now about 2 hours from finishing if they keep up their boat speed.
On Decision, guest driver Lihan was hoping to be on land by midnight and home by 2am, but with 53nm to go at 12kts it may take them a little longer.
;-) Sorry, Tom!

#79 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:28 AM

More Teamwork battlin'

Teamwork finally gybes away.

#80 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:29 AM

slideshow from the start...

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

gallery on printroom here

#81 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,831 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:35 AM

Hey Clean. That's us closing up from behind....

Don't bend over for the soap.

#82 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:37 AM

Almost aground:

If you look at the tracker, the neat thing is that almost everywhere there is a tight battle. The M32 and Doghouse have been locked in battle the entire race, the two TPs and Privateer are barely a quarter mile from each other, and Carinthia and Teamwork are neck-and-neck, and both gaining on us...

#83 Sail_FAU

Sail_FAU

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:54 AM

Go Badfish! Wish I could be there, cheering you guys on from the other side of the world!

#84 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:08 AM

three packed kites later I am putting my head down for a rest. Hopefully we'll hold off sol and brother and the charging J boats, breakfast sounds goooood.

#85 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

Fuck me - a half hour rest and we let both Sol and Frank roll us! Heard the screaming, jumped up and threw up the A3 and staysail, and now we're trying to break through pappy Sol's lee. Almost...

This was our evening debrief:

#86 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,831 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

A little bad air, coming your way.

#87 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:08 AM

Rambler finished at 0136. I guess now at 3am they are heading home from the Parrot.
Cheekee Monkey who I thought would be a Barn Door contender seems to have lost speed since I took a nap from 1230-220 and is still in the KW channel.

More updates from the boats on the sorc blog.

#88 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:09 AM

Fuck me - a half hour rest and we let both Sol and Frank roll us! Heard the screaming, jumped up and threw up the A3 and staysail, and now we're trying to break through pappy Sol's lee. Almost...

I guess he's not so angry right now. :blink:

#89 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:16 AM

Any of you who are having trouble watching the vids, please let me know. You can click on the YouTube link below my post and go see them directly. Let me know if you are still having problems...

Breeze headed us a bit and we don't want to go back to the jib top because that's when the others rolled us. We are perfectly content working with the double slotted config we have right now. 3A, staysail, full main, max outhaul, medium backstay, light vang.

#90 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

From Sol Rosenberg, who's navigating:
Full Turtle cold on deck right now, but I have the best job on the boat.

#91 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:27 AM

Any of you who are having trouble watching the vids, please let me know. You can click on the YouTube link below my post and go see them directly. Let me know if you are still having problems...

We may be the only ones awake who will notice, but I clicked on the link and the "debrief" video says it's processing when I click over to Youtube and the prior video says it's not available.

#92 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:45 AM

Of the IRC class A, we are only still waiting for Decision.
The results sheet is here: http://www.yachtscor..._...r=1&eID=297

#93 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

Cold is right. I just got soaked ditching the 3A and staysail to go back to the JT, and I'm not ready to go on deck yet. Coffee first...mmm...coffee and cigarette...

We traded a lot of height to get bow out on Sol and Carinthia, but now we have to get back to the rhumb line or risk dealing with a closer reach than we already have. Expect Carinthia and Dragonfly to get away from us here, but we put a nice cushion between us and Teamwork. Funny to see Frank with his ole' J/120 smokin' the "newer, quicker" big spritboat from J...

#94 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,831 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:39 AM

Cold is right. I just got soaked ditching the 3A and staysail to go back to the JT, and I'm not ready to go on deck yet. Coffee first...mmm...coffee and cigarette...

We traded a lot of height to get bow out on Sol and Carinthia, but now we have to get back to the rhumb line or risk dealing with a closer reach than we already have. Expect Carinthia and Dragonfly to get away from us here, but we put a nice cushion between us and Teamwork. Funny to see Frank with his ole' J/120 smokin' the "newer, quicker" big spritboat from J...

Location, location location. Speaking of that, anybody seen a Melges 32 and a Farr 36 out here?

#95 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

The race tracker is showing that the multi hull Crosswinds is heading into Marathon. More info as I get it.

#96 The Pupster

The Pupster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:licking my balls<br>throwing cement blocks, you might call them cinder blocks, through car windows

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:54 PM

just a few more miles
have a good drink and a good sleep
GO THE SOL

#97 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:49 PM

Sorry for the long hiatus, lots of hard wet work in the cold, kite up to try to reel in carinthia (30 degrees too low but fast is fun) then to the number 3 to reach up to the mark at 9-10 knots, now sitting on this freezing rail, feet soaked and just a mile or two from the finish.

#98 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,831 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:57 PM

All done. I need a knish.

#99 midfleet

midfleet

Anarchist

• Members