142 replies to this topic

#101 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

The race tracker is showing that the multi hull Crosswinds is heading into Marathon. More info as I get it.

Crosswinds had a small hole in their hull and had to retire. They radioed the CG and at least two racing boats stood by. They are all safe and the boat is now on the travel lift in Marathon Key.

#102 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:34 PM

Sorry for the long hiatus, lots of hard wet work in the cold, kite up to try to reel in carinthia (30 degrees too low but fast is fun) then to the number 3 to reach up to the mark at 9-10 knots, now sitting on this freezing rail, feet soaked and just a mile or two from the finish.

I got out here around 8:30 - Thin Ice was the first boat I saw finish in full hike mode. You guys actually were HTFU. Nice work.
IMG_0143.JPG

#103 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

OH NO the result sheet has Thin Ice first in IRC B. Clean will be drunk which can only mean a trip to the Klink.
Congrats

#104 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

Still here at the finish line. I've taken a bunch of shots of the boats finishing (especially those who sent me blog updates) and have them posted on the sorc blog.

Check out team work using the alternate finish.
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG

#105 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,827 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

Sorry for the long hiatus, lots of hard wet work in the cold, kite up to try to reel in carinthia (30 degrees too low but fast is fun) then to the number 3 to reach up to the mark at 9-10 knots, now sitting on this freezing rail, feet soaked and just a mile or two from the finish.

I got out here around 8:30 - Thin Ice was the first boat I saw finish in full hike mode. You guys actually were HTFU. Nice work.
IMG_0143.JPG

I think you mean the first starboard tack finisher you saw in full hike.

#106 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

I think you mean the first starboard tack finisher you saw in full hike.

Well I did mean the first crew *I SAW* but it does appear y'all might have been hiking too.
:rolleyes:

IMG_0135.JPG

#107 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

ahhhh, i love hotel.

#108 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

So Sol gets the PHRF A fleet, we get the IRC B fleet, another anarchist gets PHRF overall I think...good day!

#109 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

DAMN! Big congrats to Sea Turtle who just trickled in in their early 90s Beneteau 38 cruising thing. Got us by 7 minutes!

#110 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:05 PM

Going to breakfast, but got good vids and will get them up when i have a full belly! 20 minutes of sleep though all trip. See ya!

#111 Toby

Toby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

The race tracker is showing that the multi hull Crosswinds is heading into Marathon. More info as I get it.

Crosswinds had a small hole in their hull and had to retire. They radioed the CG and at least two racing boats stood by. They are all safe and the boat is now on the travel lift in Marathon Key.

If Crosswinds is an F-27 Formula, why on earth would they need any outside assistance for leak??? It will be interesting to hear what (speedo, ama hatch or port, etc.) leaked. Nice to have boats standby, but you'd think they would pretty safe with three hulls.

#112 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

Nice job with making all us desk-bound wage slaves feel like we were there. Major props to LYC for the SORC blog, too. Thanks folks.

#113 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

Here's that "almost aground" video that didn't work before.

#114 Barley

Barley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:43 PM

Clean
Thanks for the vids. Made the last 2 days up here in NH with the temp hovering in the teens a little warmer. Keep it up. If you are ever up this way I will buy you a beer.
Barley

#115 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

If Crosswinds is an F-27 Formula, why on earth would they need any outside assistance for leak??? It will be interesting to hear what (speedo, ama hatch or port, etc.) leaked. Nice to have boats standby, but you'd think they would pretty safe with three hulls.

What I heard from people on the course is that they were actively taking on water - as in around 18" of water and were actively bailing.

#116 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

Ahh... Nap accomplished.....

Glad to hear Crosswinds is safe.

As far as the race, usual no sleep affair for yours truly. Sol pulls another class win out, big Swan loves them some reaching! Had a really fun tussle with Badfish all night long, finished about 20 mins or so in front of 'em, around dawn. Got to get etched on the Bolero Trophy again, so a successful journey.

Rum time.

#117 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:49 PM

Nice job with making all us desk-bound wage slaves feel like we were there. Major props to LYC for the SORC blog, too. Thanks folks.

Thanks Tim Ford for this and your prior comments. We will certainly be thanking the guys who were reporting into me for the SORC blog. They made a big difference for folks on land. And you helped me keep a part of the story straight, which I appreciate.

#118 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

As far as the race, usual no sleep affair for yours truly. Sol pulls another class win out, big Swan loves them some reaching! Had a really fun tussle with Badfish all night long, finished about 20 mins or so in front of 'em, around dawn. Got to get etched on the Bolero Trophy again, so a successful journey.

Rum time.

Hey Doghouse. Come say hi to me at the Turtle. i'm up top, in the corner with the white MacBook and a cuba libre.

#119 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

DAMN! Big congrats to Sea Turtle who just trickled in in their early 90s Beneteau 38 cruising thing. Got us by 7 minutes!

Dude, guess who else corrected out ahead of you? I am not gonna be the one to tell Stu about it.

#120 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

What I heard from people on the course is that they were actively taking on water - as in around 18" of water and were actively bailing.

Everyone's safe so we can make jokes, right? The boat is foam cored (read, cannot sink), and each ama individually can support much more than the weight of the boat, right? Archimedes be damned, we're sinking!

Granted, it was dark and they were almost five miles from shore in warm water, but this is funny. The F-27 draws about 18" with the board up, a leak in the hull would cause the water in the hull to rise to about 18" as the ama flotation kicks in. It will reach a static condition, bailing will just make room for the same volume of water to enter.

#121 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

Rum time.

Hey Doghouse. Come say hi to me at the Turtle. i'm up top, in the corner with the white MacBook and a cuba libre.

I'll try and get down there. Trying to round up all the crew right now to see what's the plan, but it's like herding cats

#122 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,827 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

Sleep overrated.
Tonight will be big party.
Let me show the way.

#123 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:14 PM

Sleep overrated.
Let me show the way.

Doghouse, I may have to take a nap sometime soon. If you're herding cats, I may have to catch up with you later. But I definitely owe you a tremendous thank you.

Sol, I know you've been sleeping b/c you haven't been here. My question is, how long do I have to rest before it's time to play?

#124 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,827 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

Sleep overrated.
Let me show the way.

Doghouse, I may have to take a nap sometime soon. If you're herding cats, I may have to catch up with you later. But I definitely owe you a tremendous thank you.

Sol, I know you've been sleeping b/c you haven't been here. My question is, how long do I have to rest before it's time to play?

I am about ten minutes from springing forth into an unsuspecting and unprepared world, and it is 4:30 now....

#125 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

So Sol gets the PHRF A fleet, we get the IRC B fleet, another anarchist gets PHRF overall I think...good day!

Six boats a fleet makes? An Armada would be how many?

For grins, why not apply your KWRW-colored glasses to this event re: rating rules, class splits, numbers, etc.

For someone who has always been racing and not watching, LZ's software is great. I have no idea what it costs but would hope that it is priced per entrant to make it more accessible to small races. It almost wants me to believe in the internet as a good thing, vice all the blogs on people telling the world that they are still breathing.

#126 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

good job everyone in the coverage of this one
clean and dixie for the otw coverage here and race site and the ion guy for the cool tracker
Carv

#127 Toby

Toby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:46 PM

Everyone's safe so we can make jokes, right? The boat is foam cored (read, cannot sink), and each ama individually can support much more than the weight of the boat, right? Archimedes be damned, we're sinking!

Granted, it was dark and they were almost five miles from shore in warm water, but this is funny. The F-27 draws about 18" with the board up, a leak in the hull would cause the water in the hull to rise to about 18" as the ama flotation kicks in. It will reach a static condition, bailing will just make room for the same volume of water to enter.

Exactly! Would be neat to find out what took place.

#128 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:14 AM

The first nighttime vid:

The second nightime vid (I think this is the funny one)

Truckin' in the morning:

Finally surfing at 12 knots (ummm)

#129 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

Rounding the Key West sea buoy:

Finish!

#130 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:12 AM

I'm not much of a photographer, not that it's stopped me before, but I put a gallery of onboard shots on facebook if you wanna check it out.

#131 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,827 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:22 AM

Nice work on the OTWA, Clean,

and nice job with the race blog Dixie. Sorry for not sending more stuff, but I was pretty busy.

#132 bshores

bshores

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

Rounding the Key West sea buoy:

Finish!

Hey Clean, nice work. What happened in that video where it was shallow? Did you guys push further inshore than intended? Imagine the TP's and Rambler couldn't have made it through there.

#133 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

We just cut one of the marks - that lighthouse in my facebook pictures link above - really close, and got down to 7.5 feet or so, and the water is so clear that it looks like you can stand there.

We are packing up now for the slog north, with the forecast swing to the SE delayed and an engine that doesn't want to push to high RPMS this is going to be a hate mission. I'll post some reports from the delivery if anything fun happens, then coming back down to KW to party for a couple of days.

#134 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

Glad you liked the race blog. I had an absolute blast doing it. Great thanks to several anarchists here - Doghouse, Sol and a few others (I can't remember your SA names).

#135 Half Ass

Half Ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

and nice job with the race blog Dixie. Sorry for not sending more stuff, but I was pretty busy.

Reading this thread the best I can figure out, Sol sailed on Dragon Fly Plus, which I did too, but I didn't see any litle old jewish guy on board, certainly not a busy one.

Nice job with ION Earth, but you could of saved some money, Carinthia and Dragonfly Plus could of shared a transponder, Carinthia was riding our second wave for how many hours? Sol said he could of thrown them a beer, they were so close for so long we could of handed them a case, can by can. Level racing at its best!

How many ways can you use your I phone while Ocean Racing?

Noble

#136 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

When a friend asked me last week what delivering the boat back would be like, I told him that the forecast looked like it would be an easy reach home, but that my experience dictated a broken engine and a dead beat all the way to Miami.

After two hours playing with the fuel filter and then fuel pump, my forecast was on the fucking money. Now we have to conserve power so we can navigate the Hawk Channel with good software and avoid hitting a reef, so my laptop will not be running for long. Hate mission coming up!

Fuck me.

#137 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

You can actually track us and a few other boats that didn't hand in their transponders on the IonEarth site if you're bored.

http://www.ionearth....le_to_key_west/

#138 glorydaze443

glorydaze443

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

[quote name='Toby' post='2668754' date='Jan 14 2010, 06:46 PM'][quote name='isma' post='2668377' date='Jan 14 2010, 03:57 PM'][quote name='Dixie' post='2668329' date='Jan 14 2010, 03:36 PM'][quote name='Toby' post='2667874' date='Jan 14 2010, 09:13 AM'][quote name='Dixie' post='2667566' date='Jan 14 2010, 09:32 AM'][quote name='Dixie' post='2667410' date='Jan 14 2010, 05:25 AM']The race tracker is showing that the multi hull Crosswinds is heading into Marathon. More info as I get it.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly! Would be neat to find out what took place.
[/quote]

one of the guys on the boat told me they hit something and tore up the centerboard trunk

#139 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,827 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

Reading this thread the best I can figure out, Sol sailed on Dragon Fly Plus, which I did too, but I didn't see any litle old jewish guy on board, certainly not a busy one.

Nice job with ION Earth, but you could of saved some money, Carinthia and Dragonfly Plus could of shared a transponder, Carinthia was riding our second wave for how many hours? Sol said he could of thrown them a beer, they were so close for so long we could of handed them a case, can by can. Level racing at its best!

How many ways can you use your I phone while Ocean Racing?

Noble

I blend in.

That was a blast sailing with you. Good times.

#140 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

Good times indeedy. Until the trip home, of course. In the interest of a fully-documented race, here's that.

Leaving:

The bash begins in earnest:

coming in under sail to a slip that is buried back in the marina:

And maybe the funniest thing of all - Stu's brand-new Porsche Panamera becomes the tender for a full load of stinky shit and liferaft.

#141 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

I think we sat for 3 hours after docking just to finish all the beer.

Attached Thumbnails

• thinice.jpg

#142 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,827 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

So, you learned lesson number one from the Ft. Lauderdale to KW Race. (The only way to travel North in January is by car, unless you have a plane.)

#143 mainsheetgirl

mainsheetgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:17 PM

So, you learned lesson number one from the Ft. Lauderdale to KW Race. (The only way to travel North in January is by car.)

With beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users