• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 HexNut

HexNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

Since my skipper has bought new sails, he has opted for battons that will not work with the roller furling (Facnor). So even though we will be leaving the hardware for the furler on the boat, we find that it's not so much fun going up and down with the jib halyard - there is not much room to jump the halyard since it was designed for roller furling. What are the other Tiger boats doing that do not use the roller furling? Has anyone re-located the exit on the mast for the jib halyard?

#2 akaGP

akaGP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,102 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:57 AM

Since my skipper has bought new sails, he has opted for battons that will not work with the roller furling (Facnor). So even though we will be leaving the hardware for the furler on the boat, we find that it's not so much fun going up and down with the jib halyard - there is not much room to jump the halyard since it was designed for roller furling. What are the other Tiger boats doing that do not use the roller furling? Has anyone re-located the exit on the mast for the jib halyard?

If the top batten allows, furl the jib at least one turn in medium and heavy air so as to protect the chute from jib luff hanks while jibing. The halyard should remain on the winch with as many turns as possible and cleated.

In light air, drop the jib without unshackling from the head bring the jib halyard back to the upper shroud and attach to turnbuckle so that it does not snag the chute during the jibe. Hoist the jib early, before rounding the bottom mark; not to worry about the halyard since it shouldn't have a lot of tension in light air anyway.

I wouldn't cut another hole in the mast above the goose neck since it is single walled; I believe that the mast section is double walled from the goose neck to just below the partners.

What hull are you racing, and who made your new sails?

Good luck, and have fun; FT10 is a great sport boat.

#3 Fishwater

Fishwater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:15 AM

Have you tried jumping the jib from the cockpit? We are doing it without any problems. The loads aren't too bad on the jib.

#4 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

On #66 we have jib and the two kites (we have a frac) all up the mast now so we can burn them up. New jib has horizontal battens so we drop. Don't do anything with the halyard after the drop and (so far) this has not been an issue during gybes... but will keep an eye on it And yes, jib halyard slips initially. Seems to be core stretching (core slips thorugh) and we're considering stripping cover off 8mm spectra, leaving a couple of metres to grip in spinlock.

#5 HexNut

HexNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

The boat is #45, we picked it up from you George. Just getting used to it, and that's a problem we'll have to overcome. We had the halyard beefed up at the clutches, but last weekend, the cover broke off under gusting to 23 conditions. New Quantum's arriving on Wednesday so we have got to get the halyard problem resolved. We think the main halyard is having the same problem. I appreciate everyones feedback - looks like the best way is from the cockpit. How many Tigers are actively using the roller furling? Please respond.

#6 Kapt'n Kirk

Kapt'n Kirk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Get rid of the fucking roller furling as fast as you can. We put on a carbo foil and have never had a problem. Our pit gal is a rockstar and have never turned a corner without the jib being up and tensioned perfectly.

#7 akaGP

akaGP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,102 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

The boat is #45, we picked it up from you George. Just getting used to it, and that's a problem we'll have to overcome. We had the halyard beefed up at the clutches, but last weekend, the cover broke off under gusting to 23 conditions. New Quantum's arriving on Wednesday so we have got to get the halyard problem resolved. We think the main halyard is having the same problem. I appreciate everyones feedback - looks like the best way is from the cockpit. How many Tigers are actively using the roller furling? Please respond.

Let me reiterate my suggestion regarding any jib halyard, regardless of the material.

If the top batten allows, furl the jib at least one turn in medium and heavy air so as to protect the chute from jib luff hanks while jibing. The halyard should remain on the winch with as many turns as possible and cleated.

Using this method our jib halyard never slips, even in flogging in >50 mph; although Facnor strop parted.

You may want to consider making your new main halyard 2:1.

Good luck.

#8 port tack

port tack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

Are you using the OEM halyards? If so they are very stretchy may be part of your problem. We added cleats to back up the spinlocks. The OEM furler is not good, the class approved harken is nice.

#9 Snapper

Snapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:05 PM

Get rid of the fucking roller furling as fast as you can. We put on a carbo foil and have never had a problem. Our pit gal is a rockstar and have never turned a corner without the jib being up and tensioned perfectly.

+1

We ditched the F*cknor and have the Shaefer Aerofoil. Great set up and no problems with gybes or the spin getting point loaded on hanks.

#10 akaGP

akaGP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,102 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

Kapt'n,

While it is not my intention to stir the pot, I would like to know whether absence of either Facknor or Harken full furling gear per OD class rules disqualifies FT10 from racing in any class sanctioned event?

#11 SA Lurker

SA Lurker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

Kapt'n,

While it is not my intention to stir the pot, I would like to know whether absence of either Facknor or Harken full furling gear per OD class rules disqualifies FT10 from racing in any class sanctioned event?

How is ANARCHY rigged? Seems to make a difference...

#12 River Sailor

River Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

#58 replaced all the halyards that came with the boat and went up one size to 10mm, problem solved.

We are in the process of replacing the F*&knor with the Harkin roller furling when we get to Pensacola.

#13 Kapt'n Kirk

Kapt'n Kirk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

Kapt'n,

Hasn't so far but you and I have not raced in the same fleet yet. I do believe the tech commitee has allowed any device or lack thereof as long as the sails and headstay measure in. That's my understanding at least.

#14 Ship o' Fools

Ship o' Fools

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

I definitely do not want to stir the pot but I think the general concensus is the Facnor is not optimal. I hope that it is dropped as OEM equipment since it is a waste of money. As for the class, it has already approved the Harken substitute. However, that does not go far enough. Practically speaking, I hope the class will permit other alternatives - including even just the removal of the facnor or addition of a foil with restrictions on headsail changes during races.
I have removed the furler and hoped keep the hanked jib. I removed the furler in part because the pin connecting the furler to the tang at the bow was smaller than the hole in the tang, causing the hole in the tang to go oval. I also found that the top of the jib can (and frequently has) wrap around the forestay (with and without the furler) before the jib is sheeted in which I think would be avoided with a foil. I hope brighter minds can sort this one out quickly

#15 Ship o' Fools

Ship o' Fools

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

I was just trying to figure out what the cost difference was between the OEM Facnor furler and a foil. What is the model no. of the OEM furler?

#16 CazzaRanda

CazzaRanda

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:59 AM

either STG3T or STG4T, not sure about the disc diameter:
http://www.facnor.co...nformations.asp

I was just trying to figure out what the cost difference was between the OEM Facnor furler and a foil. What is the model no. of the OEM furler?

#17 akaGP

akaGP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,102 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:15 AM

either STG3T or STG4T, not sure about the disc diameter:
http://www.facnor.co...nformations.asp

It is the STG3T.

STG4T is a newer model that came out after the initial bulk purchase of the STG3T.

The parts are not interchangeable.

#18 Owen

Owen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:26 AM

Kapt'n,

Hasn't so far but you and I have not raced in the same fleet yet. I do believe the tech commitee has allowed any device or lack thereof as long as the sails and headstay measure in. That's my understanding at least.

:lol:

#19 HexNut

HexNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

Wow, I'm going to get the popcorn. But meanwhile, skipper has decided to get a new halyard, we're going with 5/16 V-100 for the jib and look at adding the cam cleat later if we see a problem. Probably swap out the main next. We haven't had any problem with the spin halyard yet. Thanks everyone for their advice. I personnally would like to see the class rules change so that we could use a foil, but we're keeping the furler on the boat and hank on jib.

#20 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

Wow, I'm going to get the popcorn. But meanwhile, skipper has decided to get a new halyard, we're going with 5/16 V-100 for the jib and look at adding the cam cleat later if we see a problem. Probably swap out the main next. We haven't had any problem with the spin halyard yet. Thanks everyone for their advice. I personnally would like to see the class rules change so that we could use a foil, but we're keeping the furler on the boat and hank on jib.

We've upgraded to 5/16 Sampson Warpspeed for Main and Jib halyards. With cam cleats they work great - way over strength. We also cross stitched the core to the cover where it goes thru the stoppers and that helped a bunch.

So far the only problem we've had with the OEM spin halyard is length - another 15' would be good for any douse that doesn't go down the front hatch.

On the foil/furler? I'm still looking to upgrade to the Harken unit, but it's still down the list of priorities, the Facknor has been "Ok", not great, for me so far.

#21 Clewless

Clewless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:04 PM

Kapt'n,

This issue was voted on in the last AGM and was very close to being voted in (a matter of a few votes). It is very important for owners to be active in the class on such matters. The tech commitee has put this item on the agenda again, so stay tuned and ensure you vote when it comes up again.

BTW where is #45 located?

Clew

#22 owlslick

owlslick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

Kapt'n,

This issue was voted on in the last AGM and was very close to being voted in (a matter of a few votes). It is very important for owners to be active in the class on such matters. The tech commitee has put this item on the agenda again, so stay tuned and ensure you vote when it comes up again.

BTW where is #45 located?

Clew

with pin point accuracy ???... it's directly above the center of the earth at the moment :rolleyes:

#23 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:35 PM

is that okay with the class? it is a great move for sure.

#24 owlslick

owlslick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

The class rules as they were written require that a furler ( OEM ) be installed on the boat. The rule was modified ( by class vote ) to allow the substitution of the Harken 0. There is nothing in the rule that says the furler must be used. Racing without an installed furler is against the rule as it is currently written. The boat must have either the Facnor or the Harken installed. I don't have a problem using a foil only, any brand of furler on the market, or doing away with the requirement to have a furler installed. The class should vote to modify the rule allowing to use foil only in substitution for the OEM Facnor furler. I don't think that doing away with furler requirement rule will have any impact on the class and will eliminate micro managing on how the jib is set.

#25 Kapt'n Kirk

Kapt'n Kirk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

We shoulds be having another online AGM to discuss this and any other business soon, right?

#26 windwagon

windwagon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

This summer we'll probably have 5 or 6 Tigers w/out furlers sailing in the NW.

#27 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:40 AM

We shoulds be having another online AGM to discuss this and any other business soon, right?

Seems like a good idea as we're in FT10 v2.0.

#28 ejf3

ejf3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

As we have just had to address the undersized halyards that came with the boat and reading that others are replacing theirs, I thought I would let people know of a new rigging shop that worked with me and was VERY reasonable with regard to costs. Far less than West and others. The web page is http://www.harbor-rigging.com/ tel# 1-800-715-6589.
I worked with Bill. Suggest you give him a call if need rigging gear.

#29 Clewless

Clewless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

Seems like a good idea as we're in FT10 v2.0.

Hoping to time that with more data on the rudder.

#30 CazzaRanda

CazzaRanda

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

speaking of which..

Cazza

#31 Strobe

Strobe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:54 AM

speaking of which..

Cazza

Looks Great.
Now pack it up and send it to Australia

#32 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

speaking of which..

Cazza

Looks Great.

Looks damn nice... which part of Australia were you thinking of Strobe?!

#33 Strobe

Strobe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

speaking of which..

Cazza

Looks Great.

Looks damn nice... which part of Australia were you thinking of Strobe?!

The good side of course not the dark side B)
I sail a 22nm course down the south coast under a tight reach would have been a good test. Had the rudder loose grib twice but no breakages, We finished with a race record of 2:19.50 beating the next boat in a Bull 9000 by 20min. Loving the way the Tiger is going with WA Race week only 2 weeks away. :)

#34 lar015

lar015

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

I have hull number 78 and have opted to replace the 3T furler with a 4T drum. The problem is the undersized facnor 3T furler that came stock with the boat that cannot handle the load. It bends the ears on the furler and strains the ears on the top part of the furler as well. Also, the furler cannot be removed from the 1/4" wire because it was designed to work with 3/16". My total retro fit will cost me about $600 in parts plus labor to have the facnor rep do all the changes. I also bought a new set of North sails for the boat. Evev though I won't be doing much sailing this year, other than club racing occasionally, and some day sailing hope to find out if the upsizing to a bigger furler and solid tang (rather than two split tangs) makes a difference.

#35 Ship o' Fools

Ship o' Fools

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

I have hull number 78 and have opted to replace the 3T furler with a 4T drum. The problem is the undersized facnor 3T furler that came stock with the boat that cannot handle the load. It bends the ears on the furler and strains the ears on the top part of the furler as well. Also, the furler cannot be removed from the 1/4" wire because it was designed to work with 3/16". My total retro fit will cost me about $600 in parts plus labor to have the facnor rep do all the changes. I also bought a new set of North sails for the boat. Evev though I won't be doing much sailing this year, other than club racing occasionally, and some day sailing hope to find out if the upsizing to a bigger furler and solid tang (rather than two split tangs) makes a difference.

Good luck. However, our expericene was the fact that the top of the jib would unfurl in bigger breezes while the bottom of the jib was held tight by the furler. Based on boats with the Harken furler system, having a foil solves the problem.

#36 akaGP

akaGP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,102 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

At the time that the Facnor furler was specked for the FT10, model 4T was not available.

If you do not like the 3T, you will not like 4T either; a waste of ~$600 + labor cost.

Why not take that money and purchase a newly designed Harken MK IV Unit 0 furler that you can assemble yourself?

Consider that although the addition of 108 mm to the diameter of the drum on the Facnor 4T will give you more mechanical advantage, it will be 87 mm larger than the Hraken MK IV Unit 0 drum and 60 mm larger than Harken MK IV Unit 1 drum.

#37 lar015

lar015

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

Depending on whether or not this upgrade works I'm already committed to the fix. I really do like the facnor furler, I just need it to work as intended. Are any of the new hulls equipped with the 4T furler? Easiest solution to all of this is a tuff-luff head foil without any furler.

#38 Ship o' Fools

Ship o' Fools

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Depending on whether or not this upgrade works I'm already committed to the fix. I really do like the facnor furler, I just need it to work as intended. Are any of the new hulls equipped with the 4T furler? Easiest solution to all of this is a tuff-luff head foil without any furler.

Amen Brother.

#39 Kapt'n Kirk

Kapt'n Kirk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

Nuke the furler and go with a foil or hanks. It will be class legal before you are finished, the writing is on the wall.

#40 seafly351

seafly351

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing building

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

Gooday folks,
I would like to buy a secondhand Facnor STG 3T 5mm furler if anybody has one available or needs to ditch :0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users