7408 replies to this topic

#2501 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:42 AM

Hopefully the US government will prosecute the parents and anyone involved in this trip for child endangerment for letting this child embark on this crazy adventure.

If she dies, you can bet the nanny Cali govt will probably file charges and the feds will probably join in. You have to remember, children are wards of the state that you only pay for.

On another note
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=109493&view=findpost&p=2879346

#2502 MaxLength

MaxLength

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:43 AM

Of course anyone with the slightest knowlage of seaman ship knows she shouldn't be down there in winter. But she was and now is the time for us too offer support for one of our own. A sailor.

By the way, on the more philosophical but very realistic side of things: where does the limit of personal responsibility begin when one decides to cross --or one's parents decide to have you cross-- an ocean in coming winter?

Should the SAR bill be sent to her parents? Sounds about right to me. And what if, god forbid, one of the SAR people dies in the rescue? Then what?

I hope she's safe. But I'm not sure I agree with the premise of others risking their lives because her parents and she decided to risk hers crossing the southern Indian Ocean in winter...

That's the problem with this over-hyped media-led voyages: they implicate EVERYone in the risk-taking --whether it's calculated risk-taking or very poor risk-taking (and in Abby's case, it's the clearly the latter).

#2503 McGyver

McGyver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:44 AM

Quick question for SMSScott:
How does it feel to participate in placing an innocent young girl at risk?

Although honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about her. Look at all those prayers on her Facebook page! It will definitely be ok, I hear that God is especially powerful in the Southern Ocean during winter. I bet she's praying too, so she'll be safe.

You are a Grade A Prime#1 cunt! My Wife has told me not to use that expression so much, but I have no hesitation using it here. If by some misfortune you are a parent go look your child (children) in the eye and tell them you could care less about a kid dying or in danger if it supported your opinion. If you don't have kids, run to the nearest sterilisation clinic. Ya Prick!

Oh, please. By the time you finish reading what I wrote here, a hundred kids would have died of hunger in Africa. You are so concerned about kids' lives? Sell your car and give the money to Oxfam.

In the meantime, spare us your concern for a clueless girl and her publicity-hungry parents.

#2504 SMSScott

SMSScott

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:44 AM

I will just give you her first reported EPIRB position hit i got from USCG:

40.513s 74.457e

The position drifted 12 miles in the first 12 hours @ 64 degree true

Anybody in the neighborhood please go for it.

The position from Abby about one hour before was:

40.50s 74.40e

#2505 bruinsrule

bruinsrule

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:47 AM

I know these comments will fall mostly on deaf ears, but I'm going to say it anyway. There will be a time to debate whether or not Abby should have been out there, but this isn't the time or the place. I've come to this site because there are real sailors who know what she is up against and have great insight, and provide great links, to help the rest of us understand what she could be going through and how the rescue effort will be conducted. I would hate for this to turn into every other blog out there and force the real members to stop posting.

Remember, the majority of people here right now are new to it, and we should act like guests, not like we own the place. If you want to debate the role of her parents, go to Yahoo or CNN....there is plenty of active debate going on there.

My message to the real members here, I for one appreciate what you are all doing and encourage you to continue. I've been on this thing all day and have read damn near every post and it has been by far the most informative site I have seen on this developing story.

And godspeed, Abby... the majority of people here are truly concerned and won't rest until we hear her status, and let's all hope that the news is good.

#2506 SC-Texas

SC-Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:48 AM

This is tragic. Everyone makes choices. Some make more informed choices than others and some choices have terrible consequences.

While sending kids around the world at 16 is questionable, we should remember that 16 was an adult not 100 years ago.

The analogy to moutain climbing, flying football and gymnastics falls a little short when one considers the expert support nd guidance that is immediately at hand in those sports.

I hope she is Okay, for her sake and her family's sake.

ETA: I haven't visited in over a year, but when I saw this event unfolding, I came over, hoping that someone would be annoucing that her boat was found and she was safe.

#2507 LDH

LDH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:48 AM

"Abbey Sunderland's boat upside down in Southern Ocean

American teenager Abbey Sunderland's boat Wild Eyes in upside down 2,000 nautical miles west of Australia."

From sailworld email.

Goosebumps - just goosebump.

My thoughts and prayers for a safe return and not too many nightmares. Poor chick.

#2508 MaxLength

MaxLength

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:50 AM

Well, since you left the west coast for Maine, you might not be aware that Skip opted to ask for help a couple of years ago and he received it from an AMVER vessel. No harm, no foul. Its proof that it happens to the best of us.

Mate, comparing Skip Allan and his situation a few years ago to Abby's current one is downright ridiculous.

Skip was extremely experience and took very calculated risks: he knew what he was getting into, and had done so many times. Sunderland, and that means the parents too, were comparatively very, very inexperienced and took some very bad risks.

#2509 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:51 AM

In those high wind and big breaking wave conditions I don't think the tether would last long and there would be a significant chance of having a catastrophic contact with the vessel if one chose to remain attached. If I felt the need to deploy the raft, I would board quickly and cut the tether.

You don't get in the raft until the boat sinks underneath you.

Step UP into the raft.

Mate most (but not all) of the people posting here are experienced, knowledgeable yachters. Posting cliché’s like that makes you look like a newbie who has just done a comp crew course. I teach sea survival and the point about this is that, yes your boat is a better life raft than your life raft, but each situation is different and if you wait till the deck is awash before you board your raft you probably won't be able to, cos’ they don’t go down like that!. Have you ever seen a yacht sink? So much depends on the watertight bulkheads, design and displacement. But most of them suddenly stick their arse or bow in the air and slide down in seconds. They don't just settle slowly in the water on a ‘even keel’. We do not teach that tired old line. Save that shit for impressing your none sailing friends at dinner parties.

#2510 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

While I may not agree with why she is there I am 100% hoping for the best. There will be plenty of time to do the complaining thing after she is, hopefully, safe and dry on boat. I cannot even imagine what she must be going through now. Anyone with a child should think about that before making stupid comments about how she got there. We may be anarchists but we support our own and she is one of us because she is out there right now on the middle of a very large very inhospitable ocean very far from anyone who can help her.

#2511 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts
  • Interests:Not dying.

Of course anyone with the slightest knowlage of seaman ship knows she shouldn't be down there in winter. But she was and now is the time for us too offer support for one of our own. A sailor.

By the way, on the more philosophical but very realistic side of things: where does the limit of personal responsibility begin when one decides to cross --or one's parents decide to have you cross-- an ocean in coming winter?

Should the SAR bill be sent to her parents? Sounds about right to me. And what if, god forbid, one of the SAR people dies in the rescue? Then what?

I hope she's safe. But I'm not sure I agree with the premise of others risking their lives because her parents and she decided to risk hers crossing the southern Indian Ocean in winter...

That's the problem with this over-hyped media-led voyages: they implicate EVERYone in the risk-taking --whether it's calculated risk-taking or very poor risk-taking (and in Abby's case, it's the clearly the latter).

How 'bout we concentrate on saving her fuking ass tonite cuz she's just a scared and imperiled kid? Then afterwards, you can come back here, both barrels loaded and start shooting at her folks and enablers, s'kay?

(btw, I'm looking at The Nursetta right now (18 y/old) making a g-damn sandwich---and the thought of her alone, scared, upside down in 50 degree water and 1300+ miles from the nearest cup of hot coffee and blueberry bagel is enough to give me the f'ng shakes).....

#2512 THOR

THOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Location:brown water white knuckle racing, former Member Number 1957

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:52 AM

Abby hang on !
I am a grown man but this has me crying in sadness and anger.
Dont give up girl.
Brave folks are on their way to get you to safety.

thor

#2513 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Interests:Building and managing websites using the Umbraco CMS

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:53 AM

Hopefully the US government will prosecute the parents and anyone involved in this trip for child endangerment for letting this child embark on this crazy adventure.

Good grief... its like mosquitos at a picnic with all the newbies posting drivel... where did they all come from?

All new SA accounts need to pay $1 to Charlie Cobra's O'Joy resto fund.

Vapid Cunt... Wow... taxed your brain much for that handle? Lame.

#2514 AJ Alcatraz

AJ Alcatraz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:53 AM

Info from AMSA's site regarding the rescue effort. Sending good mojo Abby's way.

http://www.amsa.gov....ne-WildEyes.asp

#2515 Rusalka

Rusalka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,484 posts
  • Interests:Singlehanded offshore racing.

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:56 AM

In those high wind and big breaking wave conditions I don't think the tether would last long and there would be a significant chance of having a catastrophic contact with the vessel if one chose to remain attached. If I felt the need to deploy the raft, I would board quickly and cut the tether.

Step UP into the raft.

Mate most (but not all) of the people posting here are experienced, knowledgeable yachters. Posting cliché’s like that makes you look like a newbie who has just done a comp crew course. I teach sea survival and the point about this is that, yes your boat is a better life raft than your life raft, but each situation is different and if you wait till the deck is awash before you board your raft you probably won't be able to, cos’ they don’t go down like that!. Have you ever seen a yacht sink? So much depends on the watertight bulkheads, design and displacement. But most of them suddenly stick their arse or bow in the air and slide down in seconds. They don't just settle slowly in the water on a ‘even keel’. We do not teach that tired old line. Save that shit for impressing your none sailing friends at dinner parties.

I've sailed across the Pacific Ocean by myself three times (once double handed). I've lost a mast on a 40 footer while singlehanded (and self rescued).

I've been on BTC Velocity (and lots of other open 50s and 60s). The boat is NOT likely to sink. Even if she lost her mast and has been holed she's not likely to sink. If the boat has lost it's keel, it is REALLY likely to not sink.

I'm excited for you that you teach classes.

#2516 sf_trifecta

sf_trifecta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

MDR Man123.............Please delete your post this is not the time or the place!!

agreed, totally inappropriate

#2517 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

[quote name='DryArmour' date='11 June 2010 - 12:41 PM' timestamp='1276224084' post='2879461']
[quote name='Recidivist' date='10 June 2010 - 06:36 PM' timestamp='1276223810' post='2879453']
[quote name='ntman' date='11 June 2010 - 11:48 AM' timestamp='1276222706' post='2879420']
i just had an email from sail-world saying that her boat was upside down. no details on where this info came from though.
[/quote]

Well now that would kind of mean that someone SAW the boat. As the Airbus is still hours away from reaching that 20, it doesn't seem like a very reliable report.

The boat may well be upside down but having someone "report it" does not make sense unless SAT phone communication has been reestablished.
[/quote]
That story was written by Nancy Knudson - she who claimed Jessica had not circumnavigated.

#2518 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:F-24II

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:00 AM

Crappy little fluff piece just up on Yahoo

http://www.grindtv.c...early two days/

Most the the writing is pretty weak, but there is a nice little map showing were she is. Right in the exact middle of nowhere.

Southern Ocean? Winter? Galactic fuck up.

Hope she lives to tell about it.

#2519 LDH

LDH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:00 AM

Not the time for a sailing cv Rusalka... please.

#2520 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:01 AM

I got this way by getting gang raped by pirates.

All fixed there for you.

Mate just drop the 'Vapid' from you name and you have a more than adequate description of yourself.

#2521 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:01 AM

While I may not agree with why she is there I am 100% hoping for the best. There will be plenty of time to do the complaining thing after she is, hopefully, safe and dry on boat. I cannot even imagine what she must be going through now. Anyone with a child should think about that before making stupid comments about how she got there. We may be anarchists but we support our own and she is one of us because she is out there right now on the middle of a very large very inhospitable ocean very far from anyone who can help her.

But that's sort of the POINT many of us are making - these conditions are ENTIRELY predictable on the route she selected - it's like trying to climb Everest and being surprised that it's cold up there. She and her parents PUT HER where she is ( in a world of hurt) - I sincerely hope this all works out, but...

#2522 CruiserJim

CruiserJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:02 AM

I will just give you her first reported EPIRB position hit i got from USCG:

Scott,

Thanks again for giving us good info. Please let the family know that there are lots of us following this online, and 99.8% of us are pulling for Abby.

From the EPIRB data it sounds like she's on the boat and the boat's afloat. That's a real good start to a successful outcome.

Also sending thoughts and prayers for the skill and safety of all who are involved in the search and rescue.

Jim

#2523 rule69

rule69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Info from AMSA's site regarding the rescue effort. Sending good mojo Abby's way.

http://www.amsa.gov....ne-WildEyes.asp

Good link. I think all the known facts are there.

#2524 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

But this is an utterly needless situation that she ended up in due to pure stupidity. There is no reason for this to be happening. It was entirely predictable that it would happen. It looks like many people here predicted it. If someone dies trying to save her it will be 10 times the tragedy.

Mate! Probably 100% of people here agree totally. But it's not our current focus.

#2525 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Interests:Building and managing websites using the Umbraco CMS

No thanks, but keep using that as a pickup line... may work for you someday.

#2526 Sailing Junkie

Sailing Junkie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:03 AM

When I was sixteen, I had a husband, a child, a household to run, a full time job and was going to night school.

That same year, I survived a microburst with 90 mph straight line winds that sank 35 boats in 15 minutes and I was in a Catalina 27.

Give the girl a break and the benefit of the doubt at this point. Some 16 year old girls are more resourceful and capable than others.

#2527 lead

lead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Step UP into the raft.

Mate most (but not all) of the people posting here are experienced, knowledgeable yachters. Posting cliché's like that makes you look like a newbie who has just done a comp crew course. I teach sea survival and the point about this is that, yes your boat is a better life raft than your life raft, but each situation is different and if you wait till the deck is awash before you board your raft you probably won't be able to, cos' they don't go down like that!. Have you ever seen a yacht sink? So much depends on the watertight bulkheads, design and displacement. But most of them suddenly stick their arse or bow in the air and slide down in seconds. They don't just settle slowly in the water on a 'even keel'. We do not teach that tired old line. Save that shit for impressing your none sailing friends at dinner parties.

yes thats true but its still good news that she appears to be with the boat, id rather be with the boat than in a raft mate.

#2528 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

But that's sort of the POINT many of us are making - these conditions are ENTIRELY predictable on the route she selected - it's like trying to climb Everest and being surprised that it's cold up there. She and her parents PUT HER where she is ( in a world of hurt) - I sincerely hope this all works out, but...

Agree but she IS there now. I agree with what everyone has said about the lack of thought process but she is there now and in trouble. Until she is back out that is what we should be thinking and talking about.

#2529 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • Interests:Drinking beer.
    Mowing.
    Drinking beer while mowing.

Yep! That's it! What the fuck have the Gummint take care of everything.......Fuckwad!!! Ya Marooon!

#2530 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:04 AM

AMSA Providing Assistance in Search and Rescue - Wild Eyes
11 June 2010 - 11:30am Update (0130 UTC)
Australia is providing air support assistance to a French (La Reunion) coordinated search and rescue in the Indian Ocean for the US yacht Wild Eyes.

US citizen Abby Sunderland (16) sailed from California on 23 January 2010 to circumnavigate the globe in the yacht Wild Eyes. At approximately 1.00 a.m. (Australian Eastern Standard Time) Friday 11 June the Australian Maritime Safety Authority's Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) detected transmissions from two distress beacons registered to Wild Eyes. The detections are currently in position 40 48 South 74 58 East, approximately 2033 nautical miles west south west from Perth in the central southern Indian Ocean. There are currently no communications with Wild Eyes.

The Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre at La Reunion, operated by France, is coordinating the search & rescue response overall as Wild Eyes is in La Reunion's search and rescue region. Australia offered to assist if required.

La Reunion has requested air search assistance to establish the situation on scene, recognising that the remoteness of the location would delay any ship response. The most rapid means to get an aircraft on scene is to send a QANTAS A-330 Airbus passenger aircraft from Perth. The aircraft should be on scene mid-afternoon Friday 11 June. The aircraft mission will be to attempt to communicate with Ms Sunderland from high level and, if necessary, to descend and make visual contact to assess the circumstances.

La Reunion is coordinating three seaborne responses. A fishing vessel can be on scene on Saturday afternoon, a French Fisheries Patrol vessel can be on scene on Sunday morning, and an offshore support vessel can be there on Sunday evening. Each of the three vessels should be capable of conducting a rescue, subject to prevailing weather conditions.

#2531 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:04 AM

Step UP into the raft.

Mate most (but not all) of the people posting here are experienced, knowledgeable yachters. Posting cliché's like that makes you look like a newbie who has just done a comp crew course. I teach sea survival and the point about this is that, yes your boat is a better life raft than your life raft, but each situation is different and if you wait till the deck is awash before you board your raft you probably won't be able to, cos' they don't go down like that!. Have you ever seen a yacht sink? So much depends on the watertight bulkheads, design and displacement. But most of them suddenly stick their arse or bow in the air and slide down in seconds. They don't just settle slowly in the water on a 'even keel'. We do not teach that tired old line. Save that shit for impressing your none sailing friends at dinner parties.

I've sailed across the Pacific Ocean by myself three times (once double handed). I've lost a mast on a 40 footer while singlehanded (and self rescued).

I've been on BTC Velocity (and lots of other open 50s and 60s). The boat is NOT likely to sink. Even if she lost her mast and has been holed she's not likely to sink. If the boat has lost it's keel, it is REALLY likely to not sink.

Yet your still such a douche. Amazing.

#2532 gusmus

gusmus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:05 AM

So much self serving crap on this post.

Really guys, whether you agree or disagree with the voyage really doesn't matter, right now there is a 16 year old human being possibly fighting for their life - or has alread lost it with the nearest physical help close to 2 days away asuuming they pinpoint her right away which is unlikely to be easy with the conditions that exist in the area at the moment.

To hell with the criticism of her, or her family or the others who encouraged this venture - this is a young girl in trouble and we should stop the speculation and simply wish her well and the rescue authorities every luck and success in locating and resuing her.

C'mon guys - grow up

Shanghai Sailor

agree 100%

If that is the general attitude then I for one want to know what the difference is between an experienced skipper sailing in an organised race who gets the shit thrown at him for wasting good old Aussie tax dollars and an inexperienced idiot barely out of her diapers doing an unorganised stunt who is given the resources of a small nation and everyone rooting for her. Possibly because she's a sassie looking 16 year old chick perhaps?

#2533 y2kcockroach

y2kcockroach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Mainly beer can racing now.

If it is fast and weird, it is worth reading about.

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:05 AM

I've been a sailor for thirty years, and a member of this web site forum for three minutes. I am dismayed at some of the posts that I am reading, although some of the best information available is right here.

I have read that the first fly-by will take place in about two and a half hours. That should confirm whether the boat has turtled (I don't know how Sailworld or anyone else could know that already). I have read that the water-activated EPIRB has still not triggered, but if somebody knows differently I would love to read about it. If it hasn't, then I suspect that the boat is afloat (maybe awash), but hopefully with her still in it.

There isn't much that people can do except hope for the best, and to try to suppress the urge (among some of you) to throw darts at her and her family. We might not agree with her decision to do this trip (Southern Indian Ocean is not the place to be at this time of year), but she is nevertheless a remarkable young woman, and her efforts are worth recognizing. Her family could use some empathy and support right now, not gratuitous, hurtful comments. We all know that you are better parents, wiser counsel, better sailors, more prudent individuals, blah blah blah. If only the world was more like some of you, we could all get to live much longer, more boring lives. Avoid the need to remind us of that "wisdom", because when you do the small just get smaller.

#2534 Rusalka

Rusalka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:07 AM

You started it fucko with your holier than thou "I teach classes" shit.

#2535 VapidCunt

VapidCunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:08 AM

I've been a sailor for thirty years, and a member of this web site forum for three minutes. I am dismayed at some of the posts that I am reading, although some of the best information available is right here.

I have read that the first fly-by will take place in about two and a half hours. That should confirm whether the boat has turtled (I don't know how Sailworld or anyone else could know that already). I have read that the water-activated EPIRB has still not triggered, but if somebody knows differently I would love to read about it. If it hasn't, then I suspect that the boat is afloat (maybe awash), but hopefully with her still in it.

There isn't much that people can do except hope for the best, and to try to suppress the urge (among some of you) to throw darts at her and her family. We might not agree with her decision to do this trip (Southern Indian Ocean is not the place to be at this time of year), but she is nevertheless a remarkable young woman, and her efforts are worth recognizing. Her family could use some empathy and support right now, not gratuitous, hurtful comments. We all know that you are better parents, wiser counsel, better sailors, more prudent individuals, blah blah blah. If only the world was more like some of you, we could all get to live much longer, more boring lives. Avoid the need to remind us of that "wisdom", because when you do the small just get smaller.

Empathy for her family? Her family put her in this position, Fucktard

#2536 JPlanet

JPlanet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:09 AM

i just had an email from sail-world saying that her boat was upside down. no details on where this info came from though.

Don't believe what you read there can be no conformation on that...you can believe every thing i say, unless i make a honest mistake....i will strive not to give out mis information...But I am not a PR person.

Where that came from is Laurence Abby's father has said all through the day.... that is what he thinks (the keel broke off and the boat is upside down) but he does not know.....

Nobody right now can know......there is a news spokesman Jeff Casher (he is on the team with me and speaks to Abby twice daily for a good part of the trip) and he will not give misleading info......so if his words are reported correctly or you hear it from his mouth most likley it is so.

The chartered aircraft will be overhead at around 10:30pm PDT

Thank you for keeping us informed, Scott. Every update you can bring is much appreciated........

#2537 New Morning

New Morning

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:11 AM

Could somebody start a new thread for the speculation and criticism? Let's keep this on the facts. Get the bullshit out of here.

#2538 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Kite Surfing, binge drinking.

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:11 AM

LB, never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

#2539 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:14 AM

Sorry for pointing that you sound like a newbie.
Now that you have kindly posted your CV we all realise that you are vastly experinced

at typing.

Cheers.

#2540 Rusalka

Rusalka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:15 AM

Could somebody start a new thread for the speculation and criticism? Let's keep this on the facts. Get the bullshit out of here.

There are no facts other than two EPIRBs have gone off and the weather was really bad.

#2541 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Empathy for her family? Her family put her in this position, Fucktard

Mate, your as new as him, back off, he obviously doesn't know the whole story. You're the sock puppet fucktard.

Bet you're an ambulance chaser in real life.

#2542 podrick

podrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted Image

If the boat has turtled, then the escape hatch and liferaft are well located. photo from ABC News Aus

#2543 Release The Kraken

Release The Kraken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

...her parents should be charged with Child Endangerment

If you don't buckle the seat belt on a 16-year-old child, that is exactly the charge you will get from the police. CHILD ENDANGERMENT applies to parents who put their child into a dangerous situation UNTIL THE CHILD REACHES 18 years old.

Abby's parents sent her off alone into the Southern Ocean during the onset of WINTER. This is a different magnitude of child endangerment IMHO.

I just don't agree that it's ok to send a child off onto the ocean alone, REGARDLESS of how tough he or she might be and REGARDLESS of how much they want it.

I was very impressed by Jessica Watson, but still didn't agree that it was right. Abby's program just looked so much weaker. I had a bad feeling about it from the beginning and it was reinforced by all the problems she's had along the way.

I sure hope it turns out ok. Pray all you want if it makes you feel better. I don't believe any prayers are going to tame the wild Southern Ocean but that's just my opinion.

Did she really clip on to the farking boom and go up the mast at night in a storm? :blink: Jeebus, how could you not pull the plug as a parent watching this train wreck. Mind boggling. Criminal responsibility from my point of view.

#2544 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:18 AM

LB, never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

You are quite right abbo, but since my Kiwi mate got flicked I am looking for a new toy to play with.

So far he is looking good.......

#2545 xyz10000

xyz10000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:19 AM

young girl sails southern ocean alone in middle of winter.

We should do anything?

You live by the sword you die by the sword.

You cant go there and expect either help or sympathy. Hey she gave it a go but didnt make it. Now other people are expected to pick up the pieces. What is an Epirb anyway? Help i'm in trouble and i cant help myself.
First rule of life your are in control of your own destiny if you have to start relying on pushing buttons and expect someone, anyone to help you are are not in control.

Hope she makes it for her sake but lets get real there are many people in this world who need help that have not created the problem themselves.

#2546 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

There is it's here http://forums.sailin...howtopic=109493

#2547 Inattentive Observer

Inattentive Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Would you want your husband or wife risking their life to try and rescue her from her (or her dad's) stupidity?

Moot point. If they're SAR, that's what they do and do well, regardless of greed, stupidity or just plain bad luck and Thank God for that...

+100

"So others may life..." and its various variants aren't just lip service to the men and women in SAR, especially those on the water.

#2548 Rusalka

Rusalka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:21 AM

You are quite right abbo, but since my Kiwi mate got flicked I am looking for a new toy to play with.

I've been gone from SA for a long time, but trust me, I'll eat you up and shit you out. But this is not the time.

#2549 8Y8

8Y8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:22 AM

Yeah +1 you want to have a look at the weather thread on the Australian Ski Forum, the moderator is a nazi about keeping things on topic, but it works.

#2550 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
    Mowing.

Step UP into the raft.

Twice pipes LB,
Watched them sink the"Oriskany" off Pensacola. The experts said "prepare to be bored, could take 3 or 4 hours" fucker went down in less than 45 minutes.

#2551 Coot's Away

Coot's Away

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

As time goes by without Jonsailor chiming in, I'm afraid that seems more and more likely. Some time ago in this thread he mentioned that he had spoken with Abby's father about some keel attachment issues. He may well be spending a lot of time on the phone to people in the States, and RCC Canberra.

As BTC Velocity Wild Eyes hit a whale rather hard -
http://www.sailing.org/news/6246.php

#2552 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:24 AM

I've been gone from SA for a long time, but trust me, I'll eat you up and shit you out.

Arrogant fucker aren't you.

I wouldn't bet on it.

#2553 sailsail

sailsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:24 AM

Gay porn

Posted Image

Well bye.

EDIT: I hope they find her alive and well.

#2554 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:26 AM

Thanks for posting your own photo Vabid, but it's not quite what we are looking for from a newbie.
By-by!

This is starting to look like we are the subject of a field trip to me.

#2555 SC-Texas

SC-Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:26 AM

Rusalka, looks like the old guard are coming back for this tragedy.
Hope the girl is alright.

#2556 Ian_gc

Ian_gc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:28 AM

Thanks very much for that VC i WAS ..... eating lunch!!!!!

#2557 bowman81

bowman81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Interests:Beer, tits, boats, pussy, boats, tits

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:29 AM

It could be worse she could be getting gang raped by pirates.

Please vacate this thread and go over to the 1000 days. They love rabid freaks over there.

Eat my fuck

This response suggest to me you're a regular around these part too gutless to post under your real name. Nothing but a steaming pile of landt

#2558 sailsail

sailsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:29 AM

I got this way by getting gang raped by pirates.

All fixed there for you.

Mate just drop the 'Vapid' from you name and you have a more than adequate description of yourself.

Highschool must be out.

#2559 Rusalka

Rusalka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:30 AM

Rusalka, looks like the old guard are coming back for this tragedy.
Hope the girl is alright.

I figured if anyone had news it would be here.

I see that nothing much has changed.

BJ, Sol, Gator and JeffB still around?

#2560 Release The Kraken

Release The Kraken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

This obviously could not have happened in a worse place.

The Kerguelen Islands have been called the most remote place on the planet. What a terrible place to get into trouble. Argh :(

#2561 sailsail

sailsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Removed the gay porn -sailsail

Seriously when does highschool get back into session so we don't have to deal with this crap?

Edit, THANKS MODS!

#2562 Sailing Junkie

Sailing Junkie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:31 AM

That really needs to come down. Ed, Dawg, where are you?

#2563 melb_paul

melb_paul

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:33 AM

First time I am going to say that censorship should be allowed on SA.

Vabid; one day you may look back at yourself and wonder what made you the way are. I normally dont pity people, but I do pity you.

600+ members and non members viewing and you willing post that - twice.

#2564 hobiethirtythree

hobiethirtythree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:34 AM

Just offhand, I'd say this forum needs a bit of active moderation.

#2565 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:35 AM

I've been gone from SA for a long time, but trust me, I'll eat you up and shit you out. But this is not the time.

Thanks for the offer mate but I don’t let another man 'eat me'.
'Vabidcunt' seems to be available though if you’re hungry....

#2566 albanyguy

albanyguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:36 AM

That is just ridiculous. Ban that idiot and remove the post.

Anyway back to the thread. Qantas flight should be getting close to her position by now. Some interesting comments from Marty Still, builder of Ella's Pink Lady, & Ian Kiernan reported here - http://www.abc.net.a.../11/2924732.htm

Edit: Thanks for pulling that rubbish down.

#2567 bubsteve

bubsteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm not coming back here,,,,,ever,bubsteve

#2568 phantomsailor

phantomsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Sailing (of course)
    Sailing electronics, batts, comms, intrumentation
    Ham Radio
    Women
    Drinking
    Drinking with women

Use the report button on these kinds of low life scum.

#2569 TexLex

TexLex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

From Abby's FB page, just up:
The Quantas Airbus arranged by Australian Search & Rescue will be flying over Abby's location within hours. They will not be able to help her other than to talk via marine radio if they are able to get close enough. Hopefully they will be able to assess her situation and report back to us. Thank you for all of your kind thoughts and prayers.

Edit: sorry to interupt your gay sex chatline.

#2570 podrick

podrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:37 AM

I am trying to follow this at work, can ed or dawg please remove those pics posted by VC. Also when I get home I have a 5yo and a 2yo and those images are just a inappropriate for them as well as for my co-workers. My thought are with you Abby, stay safe.

#2571 sailsail

sailsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

First time I am going to say that censorship should be allowed on SA.

Vabid; one day you may look back at yourself and wonder what made you the way are. I normally dont pity people, but I do pity you.

600+ members and non members viewing and you willing post that - twice.

Instead of censorship maybe new members should submit proof that they have graduated high-school before posting? Vabid has made me so mad that I have doubled my total post count that I have had for over two years in one day!!!!!

Also the rule should not apply for actual high-school sailors.

#2572 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Done. Thanks Ed or Dawg or whoever

#2573 y2kcockroach

y2kcockroach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Mainly beer can racing now.

If it is fast and weird, it is worth reading about.

The chartered aircraft departed from Perth at 23:53 GMT. With her coordinates it should be on site in two hours. There are reports from her support team (Jeff Casher) that the two manually-activated EPIRBS are still together, drifting at about one kn (a good sign that they are together). The water-activated EPIRB has still not triggered (another good sign). She might be in the boat, upside down, which would explain the lack of satellite phone transmissions. This is about as good as it gets, right now. There is plenty to be concerned about, but nothing is to be gained from being pessimistic.

Again, if anyone has anything real to share, please do so.

Some people on this thread actually care.

#2574 bruinsrule

bruinsrule

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

I'd recommend the moderator ban everyone who joined today. I know that takes me out, but I'd rather not be allowed to post than read some of the garbage that's infested this place tonight. Sad...

#2575 30 Seconds

30 Seconds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Dawg, that stuff needs to go away. Seriously . . .

#2576 THOR

THOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Location:brown water white knuckle racing, former Member Number 1957

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:39 AM

thanks

#2577 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Mr. Mariachi,

There is not one person here who ever wanted Abby to fail. Nobody wanted to actually say "I told you so".

I am just so, so sad right now. Really fucking angry, but mostly just sad. If she's still alive, she's really scared. Scared and alone is just no way to go.

I think I can safely say that everybody here has always just wanted her safe.

Just the f'ng idea that a dozen or so people here are hoping that Abby drowns to death so that they can wear a I-Fucking-Called-It Cheshire Cat grin for a week is beyond nauseating.............

Would be nice if it were true, but from the outset I think a lot of a-holes on this site would have been perfectly happy for her to die, just so they could revel in their self-superiority. It's sad, but so are they. There isn't a single bright spot to this whole thing until she's brought back alive and well.

#2578 Mainstream

Mainstream

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Wide

LB, I followed your epic battle with BlockedRingThing in TheOtherThread. I admit I enjoyed it, even if it was a total distraction from The Jess.

But really, I don't see Rusalka as being in the same category as RingThing, who was, lets face it, psychosexually disturbed on a number of levels (and even that is putting a brave face on his predicament). Also the circumstances here are a little different.

#2579 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,925 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:40 AM

I do not believe there is a single person who has posted or even read this thread who hopes the girl will die.

How absurd.

#2580 J/133#1

J/133#1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, politics, law.

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:42 AM

GeoHack - Sunderland's last known position on June 10, 2010
http://toolserver.or...June+10%2C+2010

That looks like good news if it is right. It puts her a lot farther North and farther from the low center than I was plotting her position.

I think you are way off, per Scott's reports
This position is about 300 miles NNW of her reported EPIRB position this morning at the time the EPIRB was activated (40.513s 74.457e) and one hour prior when she last reported her GPS position by radio (40.50s 74.40e). She has been drifting at 1 knot toward the northwest for the past 12 hours.

One of the problems here is whether the above positions are in degrees and decimals of degrees or are a shorthand for degrees, minutes and decimals of minutes. I presumed the former and when plotted it works out to almost exactly the position Scott gave this morning: 557 NM NNE of Kerguelon. Based on her drift of 1 knot toward 068 True for the past 12 hours, I estimate her current position at 40.387 S 74.645 E.

It would be nice if Scott or someone knowledgeable, could give us an exact position and confirmation of the coordinate system being used. The position difference between the two coordinate systems could easily be 20 miles. Please clarify Scott.

#2581 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

We're here but we will need to sleep at some point.

Vapid is out.

#2582 Fireplace Girl

Fireplace Girl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

For the first time ever, I did.

#2583 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Although honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about her. Look at all those prayers on her Facebook page! It will definitely be ok, I hear that God is especially powerful in the Southern Ocean during winter. I bet she's praying too, so she'll be safe.

You are a Grade A Prime#1 cunt! My Wife has told me not to use that expression so much, but I have no hesitation using it here. If by some misfortune you are a parent go look your child (children) in the eye and tell them you could care less about a kid dying or in danger if it supported your opinion. If you don't have kids, run to the nearest sterilisation clinic. Ya Prick!

Oh, please. By the time you finish reading what I wrote here, a hundred kids would have died of hunger in Africa. You are so concerned about kids' lives? Sell your car and give the money to Oxfam.

In the meantime, spare us your concern for a clueless girl and her publicity-hungry parents.

Ummm...FUCK OFF!!!!!!

#2584 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:45 AM

Vapid is out.

same bloke as before dawg?

oh..and many thanks sleep well

#2585 sailsail

sailsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:46 AM

That looks like good news if it is right. It puts her a lot farther North and farther from the low center than I was plotting her position.

This position is about 300 miles NNW of her reported EPIRB position this morning at the time the EPIRB was activated (40.513s 74.457e) and one hour prior when she last reported her GPS position by radio (40.50s 74.40e). She has been drifting at 1 knot toward the northwest for the past 12 hours.

One of the problems here is whether the above positions are in degrees and decimals of degrees or are a shorthand for degrees, minutes and decimals of minutes. I presumed the former and when plotted it works out to almost exactly the position Scott gave this morning: 557 NM NNE of Kerguelon. Based on her drift of 1 knot toward 068 True for the past 12 hours, I estimate her current position at 40.387 S 74.645 E.

It would be nice if Scott or someone knowledgeable, could give us an exact position and confirmation of the coordinate system being used. The position difference between the two coordinate systems could easily be 20 miles. Please clarify Scott.

Wow: My link
I had to zoom a bit, I did not realize where this was till I did that.

Edit, I did not see the other guys link. Sorry.

#2586 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:48 AM

LB, I followed your epic battle with BlockedRingThing in TheOtherThread. I admit I enjoyed it, even if it was a total distraction from The Jess.

But really, I don't see Rusalka as being in the same category as RingThing, who was, lets face it, psychosexually disturbed on a number of levels (and even that is putting a brave face on his predicament). Also the circumstances here are a little different.

I totaly agree. But I except his glove across the face! Another time though.

Hang in there Abby!

#2587 Danny

Danny

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:50 AM

Should we assume your check's in the mail to Oxfam? :huh:

#2588 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:50 AM

Vapid is out.

Hey get some sleep Dawg!
I will lock up......

#2589 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,707 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:51 AM

Wow: My link
I had to zoom a bit, I did not realize where this was till I did that.

Thats one hell of a place to get into trouble damn thats far from nothing,,,,, Hang in there kid

#2590 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Interests:Thistle #3130

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:51 AM

Any real news? The Lamestream media is completely clueless.

Go The Abby!

#2591 re-psycled

re-psycled

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:great offshore racing

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:52 AM

http://latimesblogs....on-the-way.html

#2592 CruiserJim

CruiserJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:52 AM

For the first time ever, I did.

Me too. Thanks for the quick work Dawg!

#2593 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,707 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:53 AM

Local news actually explained that she was not missing but had triggered her emergency beacon and various agencies were in the process of reaching her location to assist her. A far cry from the sensational Crap TASTIC CNN missing sailor Bull SHIT they've been playing every 15 minutes.

#2594 StowAway

StowAway

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:58 AM

From AMSA website

AMSA Map of Wild Eye's Location

Edit: The map was a bit big.

#2595 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:58 AM

..... spare us your concern for a clueless girl and her publicity-hungry parents.

McGyver, the "clueless girl" has singlehandedly sailed a bit over halfway around the world, including rounding Cape Horn, and is now in trouble at one of the loneliest places on the planet.

I think it's time you gave her some respect. Have you done as much as she has? Are you cold, lonely and frightened, fighting to survive long enough for help to reach you? Have you ever been?

How could you be concerned for starving kids in Africa but close your heart to a drowning kid (I hope that's an exaggeration) in the Southern Ocean?

If you don't care about her predicament, you don't deserve to call yourself a sailor.

"Clueless" indeed - but it's not her.

#2596 Release The Kraken

Release The Kraken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:00 AM

EPIRB's are pretty complex and amazing little pieces of equipment given she has three different types that work differently it gives us an idea of how and what her very basic status could be. Vs knowing nothing at all.

I think the Iridium sat phone contact going down with concurrent EPIRB activation speaks volumes.

The simple fact that she's unable to call probably means that she's in really big trouble. Iridium should work to at least some extent if the handset is still in her possession and still powered up.

I'm hoping for the best but EPIRB activation along with simultaneous satphone break in comms indicates a catastrophic situation.

#2597 ntman

ntman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:01 AM

[quote name='DryArmour' date='10 June 2010 - 06:41 PM' timestamp='1276224084' post='2879461']
[quote name='Recidivist' date='10 June 2010 - 06:36 PM' timestamp='1276223810' post='2879453']
[quote name='ntman' date='11 June 2010 - 11:48 AM' timestamp='1276222706' post='2879420']
[/quote]

Well now that would kind of mean that someone SAW the boat. As the Airbus is still hours away from reaching that 20, it doesn't seem like a very reliable report.

The boat may well be upside down but having someone "report it" does not make sense unless SAT phone communication has been reestablished.
[/quote]

That is exactly why I qualified my input by saying that the newsletter thing i was sent via email didn't say where the info came from.

#2598 sailsail

sailsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:02 AM

Local news actually explained that she was not missing but had triggered her emergency beacon and various agencies were in the process of reaching her location to assist her. A far cry from the sensational Crap TASTIC CNN missing sailor Bull SHIT they've been playing every 15 minutes.

I don't like how this is in the mainstream media. Another forum I post (troll like crazy on) is talking about it and comparing this to Jessica Dubroff the 7 year old who died flying a plane. Shorty after came many restrictions on flight training. I am worried that this will bring new requirements (laws) when young people sail and even though most youth sailors will not be sailing around the world there could easily be restrictions on youth sailing. I know it sounds far fetched but imagine how a politician could spin a bunch of high-school kids out sailing lasers in a harbor as something dangerous and that they could easily be swept out to sea.

Go ahead and call me crazy.

Edit: I may have hotlinked this thread to the other forum where a bunch of kids and pretend adults play. My apologies if they all make their way over here and start running wild. I will remove the link.

#2599 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
    Mowing.

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:04 AM

Should we assume your check's in the mail to Oxfam? Posted Image

Thanks!
I dunno, 100, 101; 1000, 1001; 10000, 10001; ask Oskar Schindler what each "1" was worth ...........PRICK!Posted Image

#2600 Release The Kraken

Release The Kraken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:07 AM

1. "J scared" scenario: Minor equipment failure (engine failure, ripped sails), satcom impaired due to weather, J activates in-cabin and survival suit EPIRBs, J on boat, boat ok

You've got the basic scenarios covered. I think that Scenario 1 is highly likely.

Have to disagree.

I have trouble believing that she would pop EPIRBs just because the satphone went down. Abby must be aware that activating EPIRBs would send her family and friends into panic and bring the cavalry rushing from all directions.

The people who know Abby seem convinced that she's tough as nails so it seems she wouldn't just say "Get me out of here" unless there was a catastrophic failure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users