2083 replies to this topic

#1 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Since her attempt at the transat record, does anybody know what has happened to her, or where she is??

#2 skippertom

skippertom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

Use the search function. Please.

#3 LIsailorkid

LIsailorkid

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

shes been chrted for the newport bermuda race looks like by Oracle / LarryEllison

http://bermudarace.c...73/Default.aspx

460 SirenSong J133 SDL Carroll, Thomas J
473 Slayride C&C 35 CD Tarberry, Alec
503 Slide Rule First 44.7 UNK Bearse, Scott F
479 Snow Lion Ker 50 GHL Huntington, Lawrence S.
500 Speedboat Maxi Open Erkelens, William, J
509 Spirit of Hillary Macgregor 65 GHL Baldino, Clem

#4 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Apart from sailing? Photography, Camping & Skiing.

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:18 PM

509 Spirit of Hillary Macgregor 65 GHL Baldino, Clem

I see what you did there

#5 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:29 PM

Bill hasn't worked for Larry for a while now, he's been involved with Speedboat since day 1...sorry no conspiracy here, move on!

#6 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

Bill hasn't worked for Larry for a while now, he's been involved with Speedboat since day 1...sorry no conspiracy here, move on!

Shh... Facts are verboten!

#7 tangoalpha

tangoalpha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:27 AM

Attached File  IMG_0163.jpg   203.04K   841 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0172.jpg   266.7K   920 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0167.jpg   191.36K   743 downloads

WTF?

#8 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:50 AM

Attached File  IMG_0163.jpg   203.04K   841 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0172.jpg   266.7K   920 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0167.jpg   191.36K   743 downloads

WTF?

What is it that I'm looking at here?

#9 Skipper_nz

Skipper_nz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:53 PM

the first photo is changing the rotating daggerboards to fixed, i would say that the 2nd is shortening the daggerboards as well. not sure what the 3rd photo is showing.

#10 sailsandsales

sailsandsales

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:1 Design Racing
    Boat tinkering
    Siberian Huskies
    Camping

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:57 AM

the first photo is changing the rotating daggerboards to fixed, i would say that the 2nd is shortening the daggerboards as well. not sure what the 3rd photo is showing.

Alex said in the OTWA Melges 32 interview that they were working on a bearing issue. Wonder if that 3rd picture is related to that.

#11 mast-er mind

mast-er mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

the third pic looks like them lining up where the bearings for the rotating dagger boards will be removed and a new section of smaller dagger board which will replace the bearings will go

#12 sailssbcanvas

sailssbcanvas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

the third pic looks like them lining up where the bearings for the rotating dagger boards will be removed and a new section of smaller dagger board which will replace the bearings will go

What is this?

Attached Files

#13 Socrates

Socrates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:45 PM

What is this?

Looks like it might be from Ikea.

#14 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:55 PM

Deck stepped mast step? All those dowels sunk in the edges would be lashing points for halyard blocks.

#15 sailssbcanvas

sailssbcanvas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

from the local hardware store

Attached Files

#16 sailssbcanvas

sailssbcanvas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

from the local hardware store

http://www.facebook....116828918330423

#17 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

Is the boat still in Florida?

#18 PerryWinkle

PerryWinkle

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

what an expensive dog this boat has been.

Has it won anything in the handful of races it finished ?

I think its been painted over more times than races it's finished.

#19 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

What races has the boat been in? '08 Bermuda Race which was not a barn-burner and then a Trans-Atlantic record attempt with Branson which they bailed on when conditions made a record unrealistic. I haven't followed the boat closely, but that's all I've heard of. What else?

No doubt an expensive boat, but I don't think the term 'dog' can be applied.

#20 sailssbcanvas

sailssbcanvas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

what an expensive dog this boat has been.

Has it won anything in the handful of races it finished ?

I think its been painted over more times than races it's finished.

Good Doggy!

Attached Files

#21 sailsandsales

sailsandsales

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
    Boat tinkering
    Siberian Huskies
    Camping

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

What races has the boat been in? '08 Bermuda Race which was not a barn-burner and then a Trans-Atlantic record attempt with Branson which they bailed on when conditions made a record unrealistic. I haven't followed the boat closely, but that's all I've heard of. What else?

Didn't it do a course race for the NYYC before the '08 N2B? It didn't do well at all since she's optimized for top speed on a tack and not maneuverability. Also she had entered in that Caribbean Island Race to go up against ICAP Lepord but never made it for some reason? I know of 2 races finished, and 2 bailed record attempts.

I really hope Speedboat's just a slow starting project. It's exciting to see work being done on it. I don't care if it had problems in the past. With all the Tech in her and SUPER high loads they are working with stuff is bound to break. I'm just glad to see them stepping up and developing it. I can't wait to either see her Crush records or at least go down swinging! It's this waiting around that gets old. Granted it's not my wallet that's writing the checks for her.

#22 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

That's possible, but that would have been a pony show and not a real race where they would put the boat through the paces. I was lucky enough to get a look inside her before the NB race and it's fucking wild down below. The canting and ballast systems are just massive. Everything on the boat is just built to a standard that you rarely see. From everything I've heard/read here in the peanut gallery the real reason she hasn't been racing much is financial.

#23 Dramling

Dramling

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:50 AM

Didn't it do a course race for the NYYC before the '08 N2B? It didn't do well at all since she's optimized for top speed on a tack and not maneuverability. Also she had entered in that Caribbean Island Race to go up against ICAP Lepord but never made it for some reason? I know of 2 races finished, and 2 bailed record attempts.

I really hope Speedboat's just a slow starting project. It's exciting to see work being done on it. I don't care if it had problems in the past. With all the Tech in her and SUPER high loads they are working with stuff is bound to break. I'm just glad to see them stepping up and developing it. I can't wait to either see her Crush records or at least go down swinging! It's this waiting around that gets old. Granted it's not my wallet that's writing the checks for her.

Yes, SB raced in the NYYC annual regatta in 08 (as did il mostro) before the Bermuda race.

#24 Terrafirma

Terrafirma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:54 AM

I specifically remember researching the original owners 2 biggest issues after launching this boat that were perhaps to blame for it's lack of use and success. Alex was onboard the first Transatlantic attempt and absolutely shit himself, yes they had some breakages but he was completely scared IMO. Not helping matters was the sudden failure of his side of his money business, questions were raised about his decisions that saw the decline of millions of dollars, Google is your friend on this. So IMO these 2 factors brought about the demise of Speedboat, as for it's potential we may never know.

#25 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

bailing on the transat had nothing to do with the hole in the mainsail did it...

#26 sailssbcanvas

sailssbcanvas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:40 AM

I specifically remember researching the original owners 2 biggest issues after launching this boat that were perhaps to blame for it's lack of use and success. Alex was onboard the first Transatlantic attempt and absolutely shit himself, yes they had some breakages but he was completely scared IMO. Not helping matters was the sudden failure of his side of his money business, questions were raised about his decisions that saw the decline of millions of dollars, Google is your friend on this. So IMO these 2 factors brought about the demise of Speedboat, as for it's potential we may never know.

I think you are right about Sh*tting himself. If i where going to Sh*t myself that is where i would do it. those things are sweet! carbon fiber, painted top!

Attached Files

#27 ClubberLang

ClubberLang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

bailing on the transat had nothing to do with the hole in the mainsail did it...

Has the "hole" ever been confirmed? They simply lost the weather window

#28 PerryWinkle

PerryWinkle

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

Can't really blame her performance on the Annual Regatta. Short course, but she was DFL in 4 races

She got a 3rd (second to last) in the 08 Bermuda Race - Losing to a Cookson 50 and the overall to a Beneteau 36.7 (although it was highly customized bene 36.7 with expert pros and happy crew)

She broke down twice on two TA attempts , AND had owners shit themselves twice

In two years she has been painted 3 times (new, virgin charter, repainted) and finsihed two regattas

Ergo, she's an expensive shitter

#29 sailsandsales

sailsandsales

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
    Boat tinkering
    Siberian Huskies
    Camping

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

Can't really blame her performance on the Annual Regatta. Short course, but she was DFL in 4 races

She got a 3rd (second to last) in the 08 Bermuda Race - Losing to a Cookson 50 and the overall to a Beneteau 36.7 (although it was highly customized bene 36.7 with expert pros and happy crew)

In two years she has been painted 3 times (new, virgin charter, repainted) and finsihed two regattas

I don't think the poor corrected times can be blamed on the boat or crew. She's a line honors boat. You don't expect them to win IRC. Heck Oats was 35th over all and mid fleet in her decision in the S2H this past year and NO one would say she sucks as a boat. Doesn't it take time and past results for ratings to settle down?

#30 Pesky's Pole

Pesky's Pole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

Expensive, yes.... Shitter.... no...

#31 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:06 PM

Er, painted once Einstein...Virgin graphics were only vinyls, they're off now so still on the first paintjob. The boat raced in the 08 Bermuda against Puma (VO70), Privateer (Cookson 50) and Gryphon Solo (Open 50) in class. She was never going to win that race on corrected in those conditions.

Correct, she pulled out of both record attempts, first one due to the port daggerboard collapsing and the Owner admitting he was in over his head, the second to losing the main below the first reef and terrible weather conditions, a large amount of the crew were seasick from the violent motion. In both accounts, it was expected to be light upwind towards the end so both the daggerboard and main damage would have prevented from sailing the boat at 100% in the forecast/modelled conditions.

The boat faired pretty well on a 2 mile ww/lw course despite not being set up for that kind of short course and the guys having not sailed the boat a whole heap until that point. Participation in the regatta was decided 2 years before that date as a date to aim for to have the boat on a race course, the boat made it to the line. Please also note she was racing Rambler, Numbers, Bella Mente and Moneypenny in class. DFL against these boats on a short course is no shabby show.

She's now winding up for another whack at the Bermuda and record attempt, mods are currently going on as previously discussed to the variable geometry boards. Yup she's expensive and no hasn't taken any major scalps yet but this 'aint no off the shelf boat either.

#32 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

Er, painted once Einstein...Virgin graphics were only vinyls, they're off now so still on the first paintjob. The boat raced in the 08 Bermuda against Puma (VO70), Privateer (Cookson 50) and Gryphon Solo (Open 50) in class. She was never going to win that race on corrected in those conditions.

Correct, she pulled out of both record attempts, first one due to the port daggerboard collapsing and the Owner admitting he was in over his head, the second to losing the main below the first reef and terrible weather conditions, a large amount of the crew were seasick from the violent motion. In both accounts, it was expected to be light upwind towards the end so both the daggerboard and main damage would have prevented from sailing the boat at 100% in the forecast/modelled conditions.

The boat faired pretty well on a 2 mile ww/lw course despite not being set up for that kind of short course and the guys having not sailed the boat a whole heap until that point. Participation in the regatta was decided 2 years before that date as a date to aim for to have the boat on a race course, the boat made it to the line. Please also note she was racing Rambler, Numbers, Bella Mente and Moneypenny in class. DFL against these boats on a short course is no shabby show.

She's now winding up for another whack at the Bermuda and record attempt, mods are currently going on as previously discussed to the variable geometry boards. Yup she's expensive and no hasn't taken any major scalps yet but this 'aint no off the shelf boat either.

Sush.... don't let facts disrupt the uninformed comments here.

#33 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

once again...

Owner and I chat about Speedboat (and his M32) from November in Lauderdale.

#34 MickMantle

MickMantle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:50 PM

And a good tune up end of next month.

Speedboat, Rambler, Genuine Risk, PUMA, Vanquish, Titan, Bella, and rumors of Blue Yankee being dusted off.

#35 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:58 PM

Speedboat, Rambler, Genuine Risk, PUMA, Vanquish, Titan, Bella, and rumors of Blue Yankee being dusted off.

Isn't Numbers sailing under charter too?

#36 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:12 PM

Next month meaning May or June?

#37 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

Isn't Numbers sailing under charter too?

Seen being packed up in La Ciotat a few weeks ago and rumoured to be heading back Stateside.

#38 MickMantle

MickMantle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

Yes

#39 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

Ha.

#40 PhilRizzuto

PhilRizzuto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:54 PM

Yes

There all coming down for the Edlu

#41 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Heh, heh, heh....They better hustle if want to make that tune up. I don't know the status of all of those boats, but Titan is doing Antigua next week and Speedboat is still finishing up her refit in Ft Lauderdale.

#42 TomTraubert

TomTraubert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

once again...

Owner [Alex Jackson] and I chat about Speedboat (and his M32) from November in Lauderdale.

Hard for me to say this but, uhh, ergh...., nice job Clean!

#43 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

+1 good job clean.

Wonder if you posted that vid earlier.

Sail safe!

#44 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

Edlu might be a bit of a time squeeze. I could see them all doing the Block Island Race though. That would be a trip.

#45 MickMantle

MickMantle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

I could see them all doing the Block Island Race though. That would be a trip.

And the start for that race begins:
A. the end of next week
B. the end of next June
C. the end of next month
D. a turkey sandwich

#46 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:42 PM

D.

#47 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

I could see them all doing the Block Island Race though. That would be a trip.

And the start for that race begins:
A. the end of next week
B. the end of next June
C. the end of next month
D. a turkey sandwich

Yeah, when the Edlu is not. I was rebuffing Cliffie, not you.

#48 PerryWinkle

PerryWinkle

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

that nipple twisting was a little..............precious

#49 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

Won't this stuff slow it down as opposed to speed it up? Or are they doing it to improve it's rating?

#50 sailsandsales

sailsandsales

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
    Boat tinkering
    Siberian Huskies
    Camping

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:52 PM

Won't this stuff slow it down as opposed to speed it up? Or are they doing it to improve it's rating?

They've got to have a plan for it. Maybe they are cutting weight with the shorter boards.... I don't see them improving the rating until after the record attempt. Right now they want to be balls to the wall fast...right?

#51 sailssbcanvas

sailssbcanvas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:38 AM

sweet! check it out, they are getting a mascot:

http://www.facebook....116828918330423

in regards to daggerboards i do not think that you would just chop the things up to make them shorter, wouldn't you just lift them up a tad? I heard that they where made by Rafesscinni, same people who make all of the Ferrari F1 carbon pieces. I do not think that you would just send one of those thru the band saw. Besides, there is no way that JuanK would miscalc there length to begin with. He is God.

do you think the mascot goes Transatlantic?

#52 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:28 AM

Has the "hole" ever been confirmed? They simply lost the weather window

OK...so the hole and delaminaion in the main 4 minutes and 25 seconds into the video on the below link has nothing to do with it then?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/SPEEDBOAT-sailing/116828918330423?ref=nf

#53 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

If you are not going to push her high upwind but are slightly cracked sheets, then you do not need the massive daggerboards. SO why carry the weight? Seems like an obvious change to me, if that is the case.

#54 frozenhawaiian

frozenhawaiian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, photographing regattas, boat building, boat design

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

I'm happy to see the boat getting some use, it's never really gotten a chance, also kinda happy to see genuine risk getting some use, GR and speedboat both really fall into the same category of boats that have never really been used to their full potential, and didn't GR have a whole slew of problems when she was launched?

#55 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

They've got to have a plan for it. Maybe they are cutting weight with the shorter boards.... I don't see them improving the rating until after the record attempt. Right now they want to be balls to the wall fast...right?

Yeah....maybe less drag but then again they could just have raised them up a bit..... It's still an amazing boat so whatever they do it'll still be quick

#56 PhilRizzuto

PhilRizzuto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:31 PM

Yeah....maybe less drag but then again they could just have raised them up a bit..... It's still an amazing boat so whatever they do it'll still be quick

Come on..

how heavy are these fucking things?

Its a 100 foot boat! What are you going to save in weight cutiinga foot or two off the boards?

#57 EBYRA Mafia

EBYRA Mafia

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:36 PM

Ya know, why don't I throw out a totally wild thought. Maybe the were found to just not work like they were designed to. It wouldn't be the first thing to come out of Juan K's office that didn't worked like he wanted it to. This isn't the first nor the last time that a fairly major part of a fairly complex boat will be modified mid-life for this reason. You nuts are reading too much into things while at the same time lacking enough information to back your ramblings up.

#58 sailssbcanvas

sailssbcanvas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:39 PM

Come on..

Its a 100 foot boat! What are you going to save in weight cutiinga foot or two off the boards?

PhilR, you are a smart man!

fyi, the boards float. actually u can use them as a SUPaddleboard if you wanted too.

I asked the BN and he told me that they still articulate as well, the new cover was needed because the old ones kept blowing off. the chopped up pieces where from the old board which broke in half because it was italian and probably also because it smacked something. the bottom part of the broken board actually floated to shore, was picked up by a sailor, and returned via the coasties. Mystery solved! BN also told me that the owner does get seasick a lot and almost never comes on deck.

#59 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:08 AM

From the front page:

innerspeed

Despite a failure to achieve much of anything in her racing career, Alex Jackson's 'Speedboat' is one of those rare designs that's captured Anarchist attention regardless of her performance. The Juan K 100 footer looks lethal and flies off the wind, and she's just out of the shed after undergoing surgery to improve her reliability and - hopefully - to help her win something. Jackson would surely like to assure himself that his boat isn't the baddest-ass looking white elephant since Genuine Risk.

We'll be speaking to Jackson over the next few days, so if you're looking for answers about the massive beast's previous races or her plans for the future, or perhaps about Jackson's plans for his Melges 32 'Leenabarca', post your questions here and we'll see what we can do to get them answered. And if he ducks any of them, we'll ask him in person when we get aboard next week for her shakedown sail. That's right: OTW Anarchy from the Speedboat. Why not?

If you still don't know who the hell we're talking about, check out the interview Clean did with Jackson in November at the M32Gold Cup. He spends more time looking at Mer than talking to Clean, so clearly he's pretty sane...

#60 Pesky's Pole

Pesky's Pole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:25 AM

Come on..

PhilR, you are a smart man!

fyi, the boards float. actually u can use them as a SUPaddleboard if you wanted too.

I asked the BN and he told me that they still articulate as well, the new cover was needed because the old ones kept blowing off. the chopped up pieces where from the old board which broke in half because it was italian and probably also because it smacked something. the bottom part of the broken board actually floated to shore, was picked up by a sailor, and returned via the coasties. Mystery solved! BN also told me that the owner does get seasick a lot and almost never comes on deck.

Maybe Branson (charterer) never came on deck, but the owner (Jackson) certainly does and floats through every watch. Driving mostly.

#61 LIsailorkid

LIsailorkid

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

Jackson would surely like to assure himself that his boat isn't the baddest-ass looking white elephant since Genuine Risk the Cone

#62 davethesailor

davethesailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

we wanna see that fucker do the transat!

#63 sailssbcanvas

sailssbcanvas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

From the front page:

innerspeed

Despite a failure to achieve much of anything in her racing career, Alex Jackson's 'Speedboat' is one of those rare designs that's captured Anarchist attention regardless of her performance. The Juan K 100 footer looks lethal and flies off the wind, and she's just out of the shed after undergoing surgery to improve her reliability and - hopefully - to help her win something. Jackson would surely like to assure himself that his boat isn't the baddest-ass looking white elephant since Genuine Risk.

We'll be speaking to Jackson over the next few days, so if you're looking for answers about the massive beast's previous races or her plans for the future, or perhaps about Jackson's plans for his Melges 32 'Leenabarca', post your questions here and we'll see what we can do to get them answered. And if he ducks any of them, we'll ask him in person when we get aboard next week for her shakedown sail. That's right: OTW Anarchy from the Speedboat. Why not?

If you still don't know who the hell we're talking about, check out the interview Clean did with Jackson in November at the M32Gold Cup. He spends more time looking at Mer than talking to Clean, so clearly he's pretty sane...

There is no way they are letting Clean on SPEEDBOAT. He wouldn't be "sane".

#64 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:33 PM

Jackson would surely like to assure himself that his boat isn't the baddest-ass looking white elephant since Genuine Risk the Cone

Go back to class you litte 'tard. The Cone is many things, but a White Elephant it is not.

"A white elephant is an idiom for a valuable possession of which its owner cannot dispose and whose cost (particularly cost of upkeep) is out of proportion to its usefulness or worth."

If the Speedboat crew is anything like the one hired for the '08 NB Race it will be a who's who of offshore talent. Mike Sanderson was the skip on the last one.

#65 LIsailorkid

LIsailorkid

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

Go back to class you litte 'tard. The Cone is many things, but a White Elephant it is not.

"A white elephant is an idiom for a valuable possession of which its owner cannot dispose and whose cost (particularly cost of upkeep) is out of proportion to its usefulness or worth."

If the Speedboat crew is anything like the one hired for the '08 NB Race it will be a who's who of offshore talent. Mike Sanderson was the skip on the last one.

You dont say? How did that work out for them?

#66 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

I'm not sure if Moose is back on, but I am pretty sure Rob Greenhalgh is. Jackson brought him in for the Miami M32 event - Rob's first - and I didn't hear anything negative from him.

#67 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:58 PM

When I get some time I'll share some pics from '08 and a little video that gives an idea of how big this beast is.

#68 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

Well, if this is the question thread then I've got a few.

-What events are you planning to do with Speedboat over the next 12 months besides Bermuda and a possible transat attempt.
-How did you identify the need for this latest refurbishment?

And the ever popular common-interest-type-question...!

-What was your favorite experience with the boat?

#69 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

Thanks INOSR. That's a good start. I want to know about seasickness because Mer suffers so badly from it (if true, how does he cope), why is it that a Collegiate All-American like Jackson with seriously rock star crew can't seem to get near the podium in the 32, and what it was like to sail with a nutty media whore like Branson, amongst other things.

#70 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

Update from Jackson:

"We sail with the race sails on 21 and 22nd. We go to Newport on the 26/27 on delivery sails. Let's talk on the boat instead of on the phone."

So get your questions in before the 21st. A ride on the Speedboat is going to be a good birthday present for me.

#71 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:31 PM

and what it was like to sail with a nutty media whore like Branson,

Media whore? Richard Branson? How could you suggest such a thing????

Posted Image

#72 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

I would love to know something about the running rigging. Loads have to be monsterous... what material / size are they using for sheet and for halyards. What do they use for lashing? What do they use for strops? And what do they use for shackles?

#73 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

and what it was like to sail with a nutty media whore like Branson,

Media whore? Richard Branson? How could you suggest such a thing????

Posted Image

I used to have a very similar model of backpack. Took a lot of maintenance, but when it worked well, damn!

#74 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:37 PM

I would love to know something about the running rigging. Loads have to be monsterous... what material / size are they using for sheet and for halyards. What do they use for lashing? What do they use for strops? And what do they use for shackles?

Oh, and for material I mean core and cover.

#75 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

Will ask, and shoot video of all the bits and pieces. If anyone wants me to focus on anything else specific while aboard, post it here.

#76 PhilRizzuto

PhilRizzuto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

Will ask, and shoot video of all the bits and pieces. If anyone wants me to focus on anything else specific while aboard, post it here.

I think we all want to see you get a few hours video of the boat beating upwind making 25kts in 10 foot
square waves

taken from the masthead viewpoint of coursePosted Image

#77 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

Get some video of what it takes to get to the forward sail locker... and make sure you get some shots of the blue Recaros in the nav.

#78 Pesky's Pole

Pesky's Pole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:56 PM

Engine room and structure for the keel loads are wild. Get video of the rope getting spit off the big drums while unfurling a big sail while in the turbo gear!

#79 BrownTrout

BrownTrout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

ask him if there will be any hot chicks on the boat. Rambler has that smokin' hot chick Wendy. Numbers has that fine looking Katie Lovelace. What kind of hotties will be on Speedboat?

#80 PerryWinkle

PerryWinkle

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

ask him if there will be any hot chicks on the boat. Rambler has that smokin' hot chick Wendy. Numbers has that fine looking Katie Lovelace. What kind of hotties will be on Speedboat?

after seeing the nipple twising video, it may not be that kind of boat.
NTTAWWT

#81 johndee

johndee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:24 AM

Here is some of the 1000's of photos i have from 2008
I wish the boys luck in all that they compete in the boat has certainly not been sailed to it full potential yet...
I dont care what anyone thinks but the boat is a weapon... It will have its day...
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#82 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:26 AM

Posted Image

I saw this posted on the facebook page. Absolutely gorgeous shot.

#83 johndee

johndee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:41 AM

Posted Image

I saw this posted on the facebook page. Absolutely gorgeous shot.

Cheers Mate was one of those once in a lifetime shots...

#84 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:18 AM

Good shit! Great photos JD, keep it coming the rest of you. Except for you PhilRizzuto...

#85 BrownTrout

BrownTrout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

Speedboat mascot competition is heating up.
Preliminary heat in South America, sponsored by REEF...

#86 bowman81

bowman81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Interests:Beer, tits, boats, pussy, boats, tits

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

Ask him when he's coming down to do the Sydney Hobart?

#87 sailssbcanvas

sailssbcanvas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

Speedboat mascot competition is heating up.
Preliminary heat in South America, sponsored by REEF...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cVOPJxKmmuU

That is special

#88 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:19 AM

Yeah that would be awesome to see

#89 BrownTrout

BrownTrout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:26 AM

When's he going to put a stripper pole in the galley???

#90 sailssbcanvas

sailssbcanvas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

pic from yesterday

Attached Files

#91 BrownTrout

BrownTrout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

Ain't no virgin no more. The Boat is back!

#92 PhilRizzuto

PhilRizzuto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

We've seen many racing boat with unusal names.
Samba Pa Ti
Bambakou
Sjambk
Hustler

'Speedboat' is a very unusal name.

Ask him how he came up with it, and what does it mean?

#93 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

Samba Pa Ti
Bambakou
Sjambk
Hustler

He answered that question a long time ago. It was just a nick name given to the project when it was still in development and the name just sort of stuck.

#94 MickMantle

MickMantle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

Samba Pa Ti
Bambakou
Sjambk
Hustler

He answered that question a long time ago. It was just a nick name given to the project when it was still in development and the name just sort of stuck.

Yup. It was either that or "these fucking daggerboards are going to do what?"

#95 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:19 PM

Apparently they are throwing a little party down there - and since it's my birthday, I'll just consider it mine. I asked Alex to fly in some of those reef girls.

#96 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

Your birthday is too close to mine for comfort, you need to move it...

#97 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

With a day like 4/20 there is not a chance! Adolph Hitler, PT Barnum, and of course the biggest reason of all - and you know that if you should.

#98 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:28 PM

With a day like 4/20 there is not a chance! Adolph Hitler, PT Barnum, and of course the biggest reason of all - and you know that if you should.

It's time to start a collection for bail money

#99 PhilRizzuto

PhilRizzuto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

Will he support his local club an do the Stratford Shoal Race?

#100 MickMantle

MickMantle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

Will he support his local club an do the Stratford Shoal Race?

Good one. Really should hit all the hot button topics:
1. Jobson - good choice or just another stiff?
2. Promises Kept vs STC - legitimate claim or just a scam?
3. ISAF - owners of the World or indefensable claim?
4. USSailing - worth the 50 bucks or a rip off?
5. Premier Racing vs CRW - did you skip CRW due to bad PR?
6. North Sails - why do you have so many of them?
7. Speedboat vs FT10 - why have one when you could have bought a hundred (with all the fixes)?
8. Sailing's social scene 1 - do you think that racing stuff gets in the way of a good drunk fest?
9. Sailing's social scene 2 - what's with all the dudes?
10. Annapolis - you know it sucks, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users