Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:35 PM

weird

a. That is a lot of fucking valtera valves.
b. The sheer beauty of that water transfer system makes mine look awfully agricultural.
c. I can just imagine the shit show that occurs when they need to tack the ballast. They must have to send 5 crew below.

#103 tangoalpha

tangoalpha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:34 PM

that is a strange looking keel

Attached Files

• Attached File  keel.jpg   40.55K   305 downloads

#104 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:41 AM

that is a strange looking keel

dont forget the water ballast

#105 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:16 AM

Would love an understanding on the rigging bits as I've never seen anything quite like them on any other boat.

Attached Files

#106 PKGB

PKGB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:47 AM

Would love an understanding on the rigging bits as I've never seen anything quite like them on any other boat.

Just looks to be the tack (floating?) separate from the forestay which is undoubtably adjustable and then some soft shackles. . . just quite large!

#107 tangoalpha

tangoalpha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:25 AM

Just looks to be the tack (floating?) separate from the forestay which is undoubtably adjustable and then some soft shackles. . . just quite large!

they have 2 modes, they can rake the rig back to carry bigger sails for downwind. balances the boat better at higher speeds, like a windsurfer. It is superbad for the rating. so you move the rig forward for IRC. i think that the rig forward mode has not been very successful for them

#108 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

The tack is a set of 2:1s run off the prod, it's the setup of these halyards that I thought was fairly interesting. The moveable rig answers the question about the triangular attachment aft of the forestay. I was so geeked to get a peek at the boat that I was focused on getting shots as opposed to inspecting things.

#109 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

The moveable rig answers the question about the triangular attachment aft of the forestay.

That's actually for the floating jib tack - AIUI, you also find them on some VO70s (?). Attaching the jib tack to the A frame means that the tack is always in line with the ram = reduced friction/a fairer lead.

#110 MickMantle

MickMantle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

The moveable rig answers the question about the triangular attachment aft of the forestay.

That's actually for the floating jib tack - AIUI, you also find them on some VO70s (?). Attaching the jib tack to the A frame means that the tack is always in line with the ram = reduced friction/a fairer lead.

Jib leech tension.

#111 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:53 PM

This is common on any boat that uses a halyard lock for the jib. The A-Frame is attached to a ram to control luff tension of the jib. It also appears that the forestay is attached to a ram as well.

#112 PKGB

PKGB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

This is common on any boat that uses a halyard lock for the jib. The A-Frame is attached to a ram to control luff tension of the jib. It also appears that the forestay is attached to a ram as well.

Yep thats what I was thinking. . . pretty sweet set up for the Jib trimmer.
Pain in the ass if your in charge of keeping the hydraulics running. . . then again compared to this bitches other systems, the one ram used for the tack is probably the least trouble! :lol:

I dont fully understand why they would go changing the rig set up (fwd - back) to comply with IRC. . . seems to me she is almost a 2.000 anyways!

#113 sailsandsales

sailsandsales

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:1 Design Racing
    Boat tinkering
    Siberian Huskies
    Camping

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

Yep thats what I was thinking. . . pretty sweet set up for the Jib trimmer.
Pain in the ass if your in charge of keeping the hydraulics running. . . then again compared to this bitches other systems, the one ram used for the tack is probably the least trouble! :lol:

I dont fully understand why they would go changing the rig set up (fwd - back) to comply with IRC. . . seems to me she is almost a 2.000 anyways!

1.955! according to https://www.thedaily...-rating-of-1955 in 2008. Wonder what she'll be after mods.

#114 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

ITHM that for IRC they fix the forestay length - as you have to because a) it's measured, and b) it's not allowed to be adjusted.

#115 -Nathan-

-Nathan-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

ITHM that for IRC they fix the forestay length - as you have to because a) it's measured, and B) it's not allowed to be adjusted.

Technically this year they can declare adjustable forestay/backstay. Under IRC. Not good for the rating. but since Newport - Bermuda is principally scored under ORR they are not allowed to adjust that while sailing. = fixed forestay.

Rail Meat:

Those valves flank the aft companionway when heading down to the nav station, which by the way, is pure sex, They are simply huge in diameter. The one thing that struck me the most about the boat was the forward stringers forward of the Main/keel bulkheads. They were aprox 4' tall and 10" wide spaced about 3' apart. I believe there was a platform between them, but I could not imagine falling off one while under way. The whole for-peak screamed broken leg to me.

-Nathan

#116 PerryWinkle

PerryWinkle

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:38 PM

[/quote]

The whole for-peak screamed broken leg to me.

-Nathan
[/quote]

the boat is an expensive leg breaking shitter

#117 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, boating, automobiles, diving, Big Ten Sports, Sailing

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:34 PM

I would love to know something about the running rigging. Loads have to be monsterous... what material / size are they using for sheet and for halyards. What do they use for lashing? What do they use for strops? And what do they use for shackles?

Will ask, and shoot video of all the bits and pieces. If anyone wants me to focus on anything else specific while aboard, post it here.

Clean,
Tell Dr Higgins (Higgy) his friends from Grand Haven and Musketucky say hello! :lol:

#118 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:33 PM

Fun day, pretty relaxing in just 5-10 knots clocking all day until it was a weak sea breeze. Under the tested headsails - a #2 and furling solent - the boat was definitely sluggish compared to some of the narrower modern maxis. But she lit up under the big red code zero at narrow angles, clocking around 15 after we jumped off on a tender in 9 or 10 knots of wind. Playing the bulb and heat to keep the flat spot between the chines flat, and truckin'. A few minor hiccups with hydraulic system, retractable drive - thoughts are that the system, with probably a mile of hydraulic line, was not completely bled after being worked on. Pics and video comin - after the party on Jackson's big luxo-trawler. I think I'll be able to get Stan Honey, Alex, and maybe Hendo - said to be the single best rigger in the world for big boats - on video tomorrow morning, as well as do a video walkthrough down below with explanations for the stuff from the crew. Then we head home with nine hours of driving time to edit pics and video.

#119 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:54 PM

Rail Meat:

Those valves flank the aft companionway when heading down to the nav station, which by the way, is pure sex, They are simply huge in diameter. The one thing that struck me the most about the boat was the forward stringers forward of the Main/keel bulkheads. They were aprox 4' tall and 10" wide spaced about 3' apart. I believe there was a platform between them, but I could not imagine falling off one while under way. The whole for-peak screamed broken leg to me.

-Nathan

Did I read that right? The Forward stringers were 4 FEET tall?

#120 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:58 PM

Rail Meat:

-Nathan

Did I read that right? The Forward stringers were 4 FEET tall?

Yeah, you'll see. Beefy construction...yet if things like companionway ladders aren't designed right, they break when the hull compresses and tries to meet the deck in big seas at speed.

#121 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:09 AM

Yowza

#122 CBrady

CBrady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:sailing (racing) .... women.... pretty much sums it up

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:26 AM

what was Mr. cleans position on the boat???

#123 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:28 AM

Clean-up!!

#124 Mexican

Mexican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:29 AM

and maybe Hendo - said to be the single best rigger in the world for big boats - on video tomorrow morning

Andrew Henderson from from Jan Juc in Victoria, Australia?

He's been sailing a fair bit with Wild Oats (caught up with him at Hamo last year) but didn't realise he had international reach.

Top bloke and awesome wave sailor to boot.

Mex

#125 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Kite Surfing, binge drinking.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:32 AM

more fodoze plz clean.

#126 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:33 AM

what was Mr. cleans position on the boat???

Fluffer.

#127 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

Cute, Mike. Little change in plans - Mer is going to hang back and work on photos she's got, boat call just got moved up to 1015 because the breeze seems like it's holding up for a bit and we need to go get some. This boat is all about breeze. Edited up yesterday into about 18 minutes of footage, even added music and titles. I hate editing. No time to render and compress and post cause I gotta go sailing, but should have some good stuff before end of biz today, maybe 3 or 4. Mer pics (and they are super cool, lots of unique views) may be up sooner.

#128 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

Cute, Mike.

I know, I know. A bigger man would have resisted the temptation. I am weak.

#129 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

Is the entire water ballast system really a manual operation??

#130 PhilRizzuto

PhilRizzuto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

Wheres the fisheye masthead shot Clean!?

#131 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

All questions will soon be answered! Today was a bit breezier but still not enough to see her stretch her legs, we sailed at a max of 17 and change in a max of 12 and a bit. I used my time to get a full video tour of the belly of the beast with John Hildebrand, engineer and a full tour of the deck with Andrew Henderson, master rigger. These are the boys that keep everything running properly, and their skills are seriously big. I also got a treat- 18 minutes on camera with one of my favorite people ever, Stan Honey. You'll really like this one, but since I have no editors with me its going to be somewhat rough and take a while. Part 1 (yesterday) should be done in a couple hours, the rest- later

#132 BrownTrout

BrownTrout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

getting clean up the mast for this shot almost blew out the winches.

Attached Files

#133 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:58 PM

you get the stains off the deck ok?

#134 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:11 PM

Yeah, like Mer would trust me with her cameras.

#135 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

What do you mean by "manual"? That manifold looks pretty simple to me. Open all valves to "dump" the water to the leeward tanks before a tack or gybe. Most systems will get about 75% of the water into the new side using this method. Then the pump tops them up. Pump is usually engine driven but who knows with this beast. I'm sure Mer's photo's will reveal all. Scoops usually are not powerful enough to completely fill, they come in handy when the pump fails though!

#136 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:02 AM

'Manual' as in some poor sod has to hop around down there opening/closing a bunch of valves every time they change ballast conditions??

#137 boyscout

boyscout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:17 AM

yep that's right the other option is to go with pneumatic system. The down side to the pneumatic is you have to have a compressor, tank, hose, actuators that open and close everything. That's a lot of extra weight. Remember that this beast is for ocean sailing not a trip around a 2 mile buoy race.

The Manual means that they have to go downstairs and open the valves to do a water fill/dump, transfer.

Clean ask Stan what he thinks about water ballast :blink:

#138 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:27 AM

yer, some poor bloke has gotta go and do it. But when there's over 20 guys on board, it's not hard to find someone spare....

Xena (modified open 60 ex Grundig) has a good transfer system with gigantic ball valves with long arms and a rope system operated from on deck. The individual tank valves were between the transfer valves and the tanks so you could leave open only the ones you wanted to use. Worked really well. Pull the red string on the windward side to dump, pull the green string on the leeward side when the transfer is complete and then tack or gybe. Still need to go down stairs to top up with the pump when you get a minute.

#139 Colin

Colin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:34 AM

Clean are you saying Mer went up to take that shot? Now that is impressive!

#140 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Apart from sailing? Photography, Camping & Skiing.

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:56 AM

I still find it amazing that his fat ass could get a moth to foil

Kidding clean!

Clean are you saying Mer went up to take that shot? Now that is impressive!

It would be even more impressive if she were wearing a skirt while doing so. Obviously not ideal clothing for going up the mast but I'm sure the crew wouldn't mind.

#141 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:07 AM

It would be even more impressive if she were wearing a skirt while doing so. Obviously not ideal clothing for going up the mast but I'm sure the crew wouldn't mind.

Skirts on boats don't work out too well, but it would be hard to find a shorter pair of shorts than what she wears when shooting.

Anyway, good stuff coming but slower than we'd like. Where are my fucking editors when I need them? Here's a little taste of what super turbo looks like - 500 meters in a minute...we need something like that for our upload speeds...the boys to call for this shit are on the vid - JH and Hendo at Dark Horse Yachting.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true">

#142 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:18 AM

Sniffa sure gets around these days doesn't he?

#143 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:48 AM

Speedboat TV - Part 1.

#144 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:50 PM

Speedboat Exposed - Still image slideshow. Huge thanks to Alex and the crew for making us feel so welcome!

#145 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

So Clean, how about some answers to those questions for Alex that we asked earlier in the thread? :P

#146 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

Some great shots in there Mer. Loved the interior shot with the carbiner in foreground and the legs over the boat graphics!

#147 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

So Clean, how about some answers to those questions for Alex that we asked earlier in the thread? :P

the answers are in the interviews, which are in the shining box on my desk.

#148 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:36 AM

Great video... well done. You shooting with the Canon and taking it down to AVCHD for editing?

#149 Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:02 AM

I'm feeling slightly queezy having just watched that video with a rampaging hangover in full flood! :blink:

#150 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

Great video... well done. You shooting with the Canon and taking it down to AVCHD for editing?

No, too much gear to carry around. That's native 640x480 from one of the three work horse Xacti E2s that I have accumulated. The two new W-HD versions I've bought have both failed under the tough conditions I subject them to, and Sanyo does not export the more robust E-HD version of the waterproof line to the states so I stick with the E-2s. Picture not sharp, sound mediocre, but they are reliable and when I'm doing 20 minutes with Stan Honey that is quite important

#151 skippertom

skippertom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:27 PM

No, too much gear to carry around. That's native 640x480 from one of the three work horse Xacti E2s that I have accumulated. The two new W-HD versions I've bought have both failed under the tough conditions I subject them to, and Sanyo does not export the more robust E-HD version of the waterproof line to the states so I stick with the E-2s. Picture not sharp, sound mediocre, but they are reliable and when I'm doing 20 minutes with Stan Honey that is quite important

Is it going up soon? Really want to see the Stan Honey interview.

#152 yachtyakka

yachtyakka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

great coverage, will you be making the trip north?

#153 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:18 AM

The Exactis are fun little units. I went with the WH1 for the optical zoom but it sounds like I should not expect it to last very long. Still though, for the price they're hard to beat.

#154 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:37 AM

The Exactis are fun little units. I went with the WH1 for the optical zoom but it sounds like I should not expect it to last very long. Still though, for the price they're hard to beat.

Keep in mind that our equipment is subject to extremes in shock (countless baggage handlers and jaw-jarring 50 kt RIB rides), temp variations, shit tons of dust and sand and salt, and true underwater use to the rated depth limit. Plus an amount of battery and card changing in a few months that yours won't likely see in its lifetime. You might be just fine. I'm picking up the E9 I think its called which is HD but the pistol type and will review it here after garda.

#155 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:44 AM

Is it going up soon? Really want to see the Stan Honey interview.

I am on I-95 just passing Jacksonville now, Mer asleep next to me with the dogs curled around eachother in the back. Been sending out emails and texts to get reports of Genuine Risk and Speedboats cruise north. I imagine there will be some good stories with the honkin southerly breeze we've seen for the last day. GR has a few hours lead. Will get interviews up in morning.

#156 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:47 AM

Once you get your camera gear sorted you really need to get audio worked out. What you have now is "Okay" and gets the job done. Professional equipment is much cheaper and better than you'd think.

#157 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

I only got the one day on film, but she sure is a fun boat to shoot! So aggressive looking with nothing elegant or soft on the entire platform, and the graphics work perfectly to make her growl. Enjoy!

As always, if you're looking for high-res stuff for a brochure, corporate website, or to put on your wall, just send me a PM or email me, and thanks for checking them out!

Mer

Attached Files

#158 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

Once you get your camera gear sorted you really need to get audio worked out. What you have now is "Okay" and gets the job done. Professional equipment is much cheaper and better than you'd think.

We use what is appropriate under the circumstances. Sometimes that means the pro gear (and yes, we have a lot of it), sometimes that means handheld consumer waterproofs that don't have mic jacks.

#159 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:27 AM

Will add the video tours of both the deck (guided by rigger Andrew Henderson from Dark Horse Yachting and including line spec and diameter for Rail Meat) and down below for all the technojunkies, as well as some good 16-17 knot boatspeed footage from the deck. But I think you'll be happy for tonight with this 18 minute talk with Stan Honey. Thanks for your patience.

#160 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:07 AM

Great shots Mer. Great Innerview, Clean.

There was lots of great stuff from the esteemed Mr Stan Honey.

For me, though the highlight was his thoughts on the boat for the next AC.

#161 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,805 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

Great work Mer and Alan. Porn may be for Fridays, but boat porn that hot is great all week long. Thank you. What an amazing creation.

#162 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

It is hard not to gush like a school girl when talking about Stan Honey, but they guy is one of my very, very few personal heros. Unbelievable accomplishments by some one who comes across as a modest, guy with tremendous self awareness. Thank you for the interview.

#163 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

Great interview by any standard. Can't wait for the third installment.

This is great stuff that no one else is providing - please keep it up.

#164 KennyB

KennyB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

+1Posted Image

#165 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:44 PM

Agreed. You are hitting your stride, Clean. Great work.

#166 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

Great stuff!!

#167 PerryWinkle

PerryWinkle

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

Unbelievable accomplishments by some one who comes across as a modest, guy with

Like the 1st down lines on televison football, and the info boxes that follow nascar cars around the track

#168 liquorpig

liquorpig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Interests:Rum, Sailing w/ Rum, short girls on stillts.

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

Based on the photos, I think Mer might have a "little kiddy crush" on Alex's kid.Posted Image Just kidin Mer.

#169 bobmor99

bobmor99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

Clean,
Looks like you've realized that interviews are about the interviewee.
Good questions. Good job.
Thx
Bob Moriarty
Ox '76 C&C-33
Jax, FL

#170 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:26 AM

These guys must have had the snot beaten out of them beating to Newport yesterday.
I bet the crew is cursing Stan Honey now!

It does take a lot to get the snot beaten out of you on a 100 footer. throttle back a little and it is no big deal

#171 MickMantle

MickMantle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

GR is heading to Baltimore.

And it's not so much the people getting beat to shit - it's the boat.

#172 sailsandsales

sailsandsales

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:1 Design Racing
    Boat tinkering
    Siberian Huskies
    Camping

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

Just finally got some time to watch those video's! Great job guys/girls!!! I'm glad to see the boat back in the water. It's obvious the quality of the crew Alex has assembled. It's also obvious that with as good as the guys are they really need time in the boat working out the bugs and figure out maneuvers. I found it very interesting watching a bunch of top shelf pro's looking down that hatch trying to figure out how to best move the sails. I guess I've always known that this boat is a cutting edge monster but never really understood how different/difficult things like a "simple" sail change are. I'm sure that with the proper funding, proper conditions, and once the crew work gels this beast will do just what she was built to do.

Good luck in the N2B!!!

#173 sailssbcanvas

sailssbcanvas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

i grabbed this from here:

http://www.facebook....330423&topic=56

SPEEDBOAT sailing Just some comments on the Palm Beach to Newport Delivery that we just completed. Was a lot of fun, spent 85% of the time VMG downwind, Jibing thru the Gulf Stream. Stan used some pretty interesting techniques to figure out the corners and bends in the stream and our wind GRIB was spot on most of the time. One of the challenges that we faced was the fact that our sail inventory was limited to just 3 sails, a delivery main (short luff), and 2 fore sails, a solent, and a jib top. Another challenged that we faced was that we where carrying a significant amount of weight in the bow which we typically do not carry, normally there is nothing up there. This was a much more significant factor then i originally thought. We had trouble keeping the bow up, this was pretty harmful, this was basically the result of this being a glorified delivery and us having to carry a bunch of stuff that we normally would not have onboard. The Bow on this boat is huge and has tremendous volume, it is 10+ feet high and and 17+ feet wide at some points. But we where burying it deep at points. We basically did not have the boat setup correctly and it showed at a few points in the journey. Sailor Error. We got some weight out of the bow and she really light up. In the end this was a delivery, we motored for 4-5 hours. the boys have done a tremendous job pimping out the boat and getting her 98% of the way back to perfection. The next 2 months are going to be very exciting. keep checking this space!

#174 pinkfrog

pinkfrog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Will add the video tours of both the deck (guided by rigger Andrew Henderson from Dark Horse Yachting and including line spec and diameter for Rail Meat) and down below for all the technojunkies, as well as some good 16-17 knot boatspeed footage from the deck. But I think you'll be happy for tonight with this 18 minute talk with Stan Honey. Thanks for your patience.

<object width="550" height="412" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook....v/394121584338" /><embed src="http://www.facebook....v/394121584338" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="550" height="412"></embed></object>

Stan is totally right. There needs to be more opportunities for women on ocean racers such as Speedboat. As such, aspiring female racers should post their qualifications on the Speedboat facebook page.

#175 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

<object width="550" height="412" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook....v/394121584338" /><embed src="http://www.facebook....v/394121584338" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="550" height="412"></embed></object>

Stan's comments about the AC were right on. Larry, give that man a blank sheet of paper and let him have at it.

#176 BrownTrout

BrownTrout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

and now in Newport after the delivery up from Palm Beach in 3 days, 3 hours....
Posted Image

#177 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

Looks like Billy Mac gave Speedboat the same crappy vinyl that he gave me. My boat name didn't stick very well either.....

#178 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:09 AM

Looks like Billy Mac gave Speedboat the same crappy vinyl that he gave me. My boat name didn't stick very well either.....

Rigger 'Hendo' from Dark Horse Yachting interviewed on the toughest job on the boat and special challenges the big beast represented - a great interview subject and very good talker.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true">

#179 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:11 AM

This one is Hendo's partner 'JH', who makes sure all the systems belowdecks are running right. Another funny bastard who gave us this tour of the belly of the beast. Funny stuff near the end, too...

#180 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:16 AM

It will be a long time before I have any spare time to make anything from the remaining 10 GB of video I shot, but as promised, here is the full tour of the deck of Speedboat. Those of you who asked about line sizes and types, have at it. Those of you looking for details on shackles, splices, and coatings, enjoy. Those interested in purchases, loads, winches, and so on, clicky clicky. I quite like this style of deck interview, and I think I'll do it again soon. Thanks for all the input you folks put into this thread and the others.

PART ONE:

PART TWO:

#181 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:17 AM

Tell me you don't love my new intro and outros. Don't tell anyone, but I think I am starting to like editing vids.

#182 Mexican

Mexican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:19 AM

Tell me you don't love my new intro and outros. Don't tell anyone, but I think I am starting to like editing vids.

Yes Alan, you're very clever with your editing.

Love the Hendo interview, thanks.

Cheers

Mex

#183 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:49 AM

Thanks, very interesting. Double the righting momemt of Wild Oats !

#184 yachtyakka

yachtyakka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

great:)

#185 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

It will be a long time before I have any spare time to make anything from the remaining 10 GB of video I shot, but as promised, here is the full tour of the deck of Speedboat. Those of you who asked about line sizes and types, have at it. Those of you looking for details on shackles, splices, and coatings, enjoy. Those interested in purchases, loads, winches, and so on, clicky clicky. I quite like this style of deck interview, and I think I'll do it again soon. Thanks for all the input you folks put into this thread and the others.

PART ONE:

<object width="550" height="412"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c...VCs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="550" height="412"></embed></object>

PART TWO:

<object width="550" height="412"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c...ujQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="550" height="412"></embed></object>

Gotta say Clean, this is some of the best stuff you've done. Very, very interesting.

Fantastic to get into the guts of a yacht like Speedboat. Got some cool ideas for a new yacht for us already.

Excellent shit bro! Keep it up.

#186 davethesailor

davethesailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:35 AM

yeah, we love you shit clean! too bad you can't give us some hardcore ripping action, may be filmed from a chopper or the top of the mast? LOL

#187 J30

J30

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

bear in mind it was temporarily over wrapped in red as virgin money for a spell

#188 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

and what it was like to sail with a nutty media whore like Branson,

Media whore? Richard Branson? How could you suggest such a thing????

Posted Image

Were I him, you could call me a media whore all damn day.

I'd be fine with that.

All.

Damn.

Day.

#189 Mono

Mono

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Philosophy, more sailing

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

Best stuff ever on this site!
Ideal for all us, rigging geeks!

#190 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

Well, if this is the question thread then I've got a few.

-What events are you planning to do with Speedboat over the next 12 months besides Bermuda and a possible transat attempt.
-How did you identify the need for this latest refurbishment?

And the ever popular common-interest-type-question...!

-What was your favorite experience with the boat?

So Clean, how about some answers to those questions for Alex that we asked earlier in the thread? Posted Image

Are you sure about that? So far you're 0 for 3 with my requests.

#191 redshirt

redshirt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

He's got nice eyes:rolleyes:

#192 bobmor99

bobmor99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

Clean,
Another good interview. Good on ya.
Almost needed subtitles, though. :rolleyes:

#193 JL92S

JL92S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:54 PM

mast still not as tall as leopard :D

#194 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:48 PM

The vids are very good, the questions that were asked seemed 'comfortable' as you have knowledge of the systems beyond the average sailor, but not to the extreme that this boat requires. This made your questions very good at trying to 'learn' from Hendo.

Only one critique, which has been common from the start............................hold the camera more steady and pan slower. Sometimes it gets dizzying, but other than that the vids are usually pretty good.

Thanks again to you and the Speedboat gang that allowed us this unique opportunity.

#195 GnarlyItWas

GnarlyItWas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

Interesting stuff thanks

#196 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,985 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:20 AM

Well, if this is the question thread then I've got a few.

-What events are you planning to do with Speedboat over the next 12 months besides Bermuda and a possible transat attempt.
-How did you identify the need for this latest refurbishment?

And the ever popular common-interest-type-question...!

-What was your favorite experience with the boat?

So Clean, how about some answers to those questions for Alex that we asked earlier in the thread? Posted Image

Are you sure about that? So far you're 0 for 3 with my requests.

Unfortunately, I had about 40 minutes to shoot interviews during the day because of various issues. 20 went to Stan Honey. 30 went to the Speedboat walkthrough, mostly because I knew Rail Meat wanted it and I owe him one. Alex Jackson, who was the logical person to answer your questions, couldn't wait the half hour it took me to finish up the deck tour, and since I've had him on before, I elected to go with Honey and Hendo and catch Alex when I see him in a few weeks. Either that, or I blew off your questions 'cause you're a cunt.

And yes, I know my video work could use a professional touch, which is why I've hired professionals for the past three major events we've done. We didn't have that luxury here, and being the interviewer and cameraman at the same time is far from ideal, especially when I actually have to process what the interviewer is saying and constantly think up new questions. Still, some good comments on this and the other thread, always happy to improve.

#197 sailssbcanvas

sailssbcanvas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:16 AM

does anyone know what Leopard is doing sitting down at World Financial Center in NYC?

Attached Files

#198 phrfwanker

phrfwanker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:39 AM

awesome videos, just amazing, thanks

#199 quezal1

quezal1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:28 AM

does anyone know what Leopard is doing sitting down at World Financial Center in NYC?

on stand by for a trans atlantic record crossing

#200 oncourse

oncourse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:44 AM

Awesome interview!...how good are these guys for the sport! (Hendo & JH)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users