#2 Blownout

Blownout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:beating you

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

lttle ugly. fast though. not to many of them around.

#3 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:09 PM

lttle ugly. fast though. not to many of them around.

fast? compared to what, a catalina/mac. :o

#4 saintcnc

saintcnc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:25 AM

I owned one for a couple years, nice cruising boat for a couple. Sails well in breeze but not a very good light air boat. If you are looking for a small cruising boat I'd recommend it, not a racer though..pretty slow.

#5 Pogue Mahone

Pogue Mahone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:37 AM

I owned one for a couple years, nice cruising boat for a couple. Sails well in breeze but not a very good light air boat. If you are looking for a small cruising boat I'd recommend it, not a racer though..pretty slow.

I've been sailing on one for about 20 years. Very nice boat - faster than any cruising boat up to 35 feet, comfortable cockpit, enough room in the cabin, no significant problems. Anythin specific you want to know?

#6 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

I've been sailing on one for about 20 years. Very nice boat - faster than any cruising boat up to 35 feet, comfortable cockpit, enough room in the cabin, no significant problems. Anythin specific you want to know?

Just guessing, but I'd doubt it's faster than a J30, J32, J33, or J34c. And that's just in J Boats past line up. Pretty bold statement saying it's faster than any cruising boat up to 35 feet.

#7 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:02 PM

Just guessing, but I'd doubt it's faster than a J30, J32, J33, or J34c. And that's just in J Boats past line up. Pretty bold statement saying it's faster than any cruising boat up to 35 feet.

PHRF Rating is about the same as a J-24's. Faster then most cruiser/racers of the same size/vintage (Pearson 28-2, Tartan 28, Catalina 28, etc., and many older 30 footers (Tartan 30, Oday 30, Pearson 30, etc). I'd say the J32/34C are legitimate cruisers, but the 30/33 are on the racer/cruiser side of things, and not as fair a comparison. Your point, however, is valid. There are a fair number of sub 35ft cruising boats that are faster.

#8 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:24 PM

Cute, roomy for size, well-made, nice main sheet system, I thought.

#9 MacGregor_Lover

MacGregor_Lover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

+1

Really Ugly boat too.

#10 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

+1

Really Ugly boat too.

What 28 foot cruising boat with standing headroom that rates 168 ish is better looking?

#11 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

+1

Really Ugly boat too.

What 28 foot cruising boat with standing headroom that rates 168 ish is better looking?

Cal 28-2
Laser 28
Roughly the same or better performance. The J28's stern section is not good looking at all. The 32 & 42 has a better looking one

#12 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:10 AM

+1

Really Ugly boat too.

mac 26 :P

#13 j34035

j34035

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:17 AM

I think they are pretty nice looking boats, especially for a 28 footer. Nice sailing boats too. However, the 34c is a better choice(why would I think that????)
DD

#14 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:46 PM

+1

Really Ugly boat too.

Andrews28

#15 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:21 PM

[/quote]

[/quote]

+1

Really Ugly boat too.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Andrews28
[/quote]

+1000

#16 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,835 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

The Andrews rates 168 ish?

#17 notallthere

notallthere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
  • Interests:any sport that starts with S

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

pics or it doesnt exist...

like the front page

#18 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

like the front page

The Andrews 28 is pretty spartan compared to the J28.

#19 tommays

tommays

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:09 PM

Posted Image

Talked to a few owners and for some reason they went with a complex HIGH DOLLAR (for a 28')rudder that can be fun

#20 j34035

j34035

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:43 AM

Posted Image

Talked to a few owners and for some reason they went with a complex HIGH DOLLAR (for a 28')rudder that can be fun

The problem with that rudder set up is the Harken bearings were junk. If they have not been replaced, they will have to be. I've owned a j/37 and now a j/34c and both had bearing issues. I now have the jefa bearings and no issues. The Harkens locked up solid and would not turn at all. This is a "must fix" on any J/boat with harkens that has seen salt.
DD

#21 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:29 AM

like the front page

The Andrews 28 is pretty spartan compared to the J28.

AND the Andrews is just as ugly as the J28. WAY too high of freeboard.

#22 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:19 AM

In 28 feet its hard to get standing headroom without some freeboard. In a light boat like the Andrews...its even harder. But not too many people these days will buy a boat and use it for cruising without the standing headroom part. Not to say it can't be done, or that many haven't already done it. Just that it won't sell today as a cruising boat 'less you can standup in it.

Don't think the Andrews meant as a cruiser anyway...its more a racer that one can comfortably weekend/overnight. Or have 4 guys stay on during an away regatta.

#23 Jon

Jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:25 AM

The Andrews rates 168 ish?

A quick web search found an article on the Andrews that quotes a Vancouver PHRF of 89. 168 doesn't seem right at all.

#24 jfdubu

jfdubu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:51 AM

I've owed one for 7 years now. Beer can wednesday nite and some weekend racing with dacron sails. The boat will compete PHRF with any crusiing boat under 35'. I regularly complete againest a C&C 33, (beat them), a C&C 35 (flip a coin)and an Ericson 32, (70/30 I win) I can fly a chute with three guys and cruise to BI for a four day weekend in comfort. In this catagory of sailing it's ususlly the sailor not the boat that wins

You will be hard pressed to find a better 28' boat package. My next boat will be a 34c or 35 c when I can afford the 2x price.

#25 psyklik

psyklik

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

I've owed one for 7 years now. Beer can wednesday nite and some weekend racing with dacron sails. The boat will compete PHRF with any crusiing boat under 35'. I regularly complete againest a C&C 33, (beat them), a C&C 35 (flip a coin)and an Ericson 32, (70/30 I win) I can fly a chute with three guys and cruise to BI for a four day weekend in comfort. In this catagory of sailing it's ususlly the sailor not the boat that wins

You will be hard pressed to find a better 28' boat package. My next boat will be a 34c or 35 c when I can afford the 2x price.

jfdubu,

Where do you sail out of?
~ psyklik

#26 jfdubu

jfdubu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:30 AM

Narragansett bay, Wickford YC wednesday series, weekend stuff

jfdubu,

Where do you sail out of?
~ psyklik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users