86 replies to this topic

#1 otwa bandanaman

otwa bandanaman

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:49 PM

Yes we are still awake and still working hard to bring you the best coverage possible. We will be on the water again tomorrow for the 2nd try of the 1st race. Just to let you all know, per the PRO the warning has been postponed till 11:54 CET/10:54 GMT due to weather. We will give you an update at 7:30 GMT about the race.

More vids uploaded and ready for viewing here, including a really great Cocktail Hour with BMW wing lead designer Joseph Ozanne and CFD expert Francis Hubert along with Little America's Cup Champ Fred Eaton (Alpha) and former LAC champ (Yellow Pages) and world sailing speed record holder (Macquarie Innovations). It was so good we are having them on again tonight, with another special guest.

#2 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:06 AM

Just got a chance to watch the Comedy Hour, I mean Cocktail Hour interview, rocked.

Gonzo style with the sound issues, but rocked none-the-less.

Good job crew!

BRING IT!

#3 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,319 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:10 AM

Just got a chance to watch the Comedy Hour, I mean Cocktail Hour interview, rocked.

Good job crew!

BRING IT!

Thanks bro - much appreciated! Petey has to play TV cameraman, sound man, and editor with a daily deadline and it ain't easy by a long shot. Give it a bit of time and it will be perfect.

#4 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,319 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:11 AM

Wet/Dry Run

Tuesday's lay day gave the OTW Anarchy team a chance to test our big-water shooting skills, and we're ready to finally see some racing during Wednesday's race for the America's Cup. Unfortunately our coverage on the water is unlikely to be live and you'll be relegated to watching the official ACM or BMW/Oracle feeds from the course, and they're not working for a decent number of folks in a wide ranging area.

It's still better than nothing, so check it out and know that you can count on our far more interesting commentary and analysis just a few hours later, along with the interviews and Cocktail Hour live talk show that is proving to be the most interesting non-race coverage of this event - and more interesting than the racing we've seen so far.

We are working hard to provide you with our own text/voice reports from 30 NM out to sea, but Spain's not the kind of place where you can get expensive satellite electronics at the last second, though we are told we may be able to have something useable by Thursday so our fingers are crossed. 15-18 NM seems to be the furthest we can get, and when we get inside that point we'll get you all the non-sterilized stuff that we know you all want to see. SA has recovered from the crash it experienced during Monday's racing, and we're especially grateful that so many of you are reading our reports and following our videos and Cocktail Hours so faithfully - both at home and here in Spain.

Tuesday's Cocktail Hour - our third from Valencia - had the biggest audience yet, with slightly less than 1100 people logged in simultaneously to see a great combination of Little America's Cup (C-Class) champs and BMW/Oracle Wing designers get down on their passions - and it was so good that we attracted a studio audience of dozens right up until the bosses booted us to prep for their 3:30 AM wake-up calls. But we're bringing them back tomorrow with even more wing boys, and the rest of the week's shows will continue to bring an amazingly accomplished group to you and the surprises will keep on coming. Like Cam Lewis sneaking into the show and firing off a couple of rambling questions before we booted him. Good Times.

Rumors and Lies

With so many folks at the top of the game milling about on the stinky streets of Spain, the rumors are starting to swirl around. We're hearing more and more support for a future multichallenger multihull America's Cup, though facts are extremely guarded and only beautiful blonde sailor chicks can get anything. And we also hear that a certain car company-sponsored AC syndicate may already have shaken hands on a potential Challenger of Record bid - though we promise to get the true story directly from the shaven-headed stud who runs the place tomorrow. And the final rumor is that we've got an adorable little 21 year-old strawberry blonde joining us as the final member of the Layline AC OTW crew - we may not have helicopters or 4-axis gyrostabilized overzoom cameras, but sure as shit we have more hot chicks on our little boat than the rest of the world's AC press corps, and that counts for something.

Tune In and Turn On

We'll be broadcasting some live pre-race action from our sweet RIB tomorrow morning, depending obviously on the breeze and waves and the balls of Harold Bennett, and then we'll follow the action as far as our Powertec Internet System will allow. And given our dwindling budget, we'd better see some racing soon!

All the links and all the love are of course on our sweet little Layline 33rd AC Anarchy Special Report Section. Feel it.

Thanks to Layline.Com site, presenting sponsor GUNBOAT's new Nigel Irens-designed high-performance cruising cats, PURE Carbon RIBS, and Gill's Race Collection. Check out some awesome Mark Covell reports from the Majan A-100 record run thanks to Oman Sail, and watch foil revolutionary Andrew McDougall's new site for updated news on his new company. And go buy something from at least one of them so they open their wallets when we tell them how much it'll cost to stay another week!

#5 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Apart from sailing? Photography, Camping & Skiing.

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:40 AM

I'll be online for the races provided the snow doesn't knock out our power or internet (heaven forbid!). School has been axed so I'm good all day. I'll double check the status at 2:30 then grab a few more zzz's before 5:30. It looks like we might get some racing in!

Scot - I know you've been working hard on getting the forums bolstered up for the onslaught that is sure to come in the next 12 hours and that you were doing the same even while we were overloading the servers at 4am Monday. You get a lot of crap on here but you also do some serious good that gets un-recognized. I saw you seriously giving a fuck that morning and you honestly deserve kudos for your work. It's great to know you really are on our side, no matter what the haters say. Thank you.

#6 ILYA_Fan

ILYA_Fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Scows, iceboating, bareboat charters.

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:21 AM

+1

I was impressed when I saw the Ed ask "Any problems?" on the race forum on Monday.

I would also say that flicking the fucktards has worked wonders in the forums. The absence of BS has made this a much better place.

#7 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Boats and trees.

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:54 AM

+1

I was impressed when I saw the Ed ask "Any problems?" on the race forum on Monday.

I would also say that flicking the fucktards has worked wonders in the forums. The absence of BS has made this a much better place.

Couldnt agree more.
I wasted a lot of hours on Monday and the following day my ISP (bigpond) sent me an email to say that I had used up half (6gb) my monthly allowance (12gb). My month starts on the 6th!!!!!!
To add insult to injury I didnt see one feed that worked properly ie was watchable. The best I could do was the AC site which had a really good steady clear pic (of the Darsena) but NO sound.
Thank god SA is here to keep me updated.
Give Clean and the crew the kudos they deserve, this is still the best coverage I have ever been able to get.
Bring on the racing!

#8 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:41 AM

Clean, well done mate. The cocktail hour sessions are bloody first rate. I dont know if its the company your keeping but your getting some class bro. And kudos to all the team, your all doing a bang up job.

That Genny's a little spitfire too, thought she was makin a move on ol man Harkin there for a minute, lol.

Keep up the good work people and try and get at least a little sleep.

#9 SanDSail

SanDSail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:42 AM

BMW Oracle site says no start till 1300 Valencia time

#10 Halidon

Halidon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:58 AM

1300? Is that confirmed anywhere?

#11 Ancient_Mariner

Ancient_Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:02 AM

Isn't the BWW Oracle site good enough confirmation?

#12 SanDSail

SanDSail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

http://bmworacleraci...track.type=home

It only says this on BMW live feed and BMW Oracle blog. I dont see anything about it on www.americascup.com

it says 1300 at www.alinghi.com as well.

I would love confirmation so i could set my alarm and catch some sleep.

#13 poi

poi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:12 AM

BMWO stream: HB heading to the water for a 13:00 start.

#14 SanDSail

SanDSail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:12 AM

TE was just on the live stream saying the comittee boat was getting ready to dock out for a 1300 start.

Hopefully no more delays.

#15 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:14 AM

Watching... waiting... watching... waiting... slowly I doze off and dream about godzillionaires dumping heaps of cash into what... an event that could easily be over after just four hours of racing. How much cash? Boats, designers, crews, support, media, transportation... $100 million USD? $200 million? Say the total for the entire event is $200M and they race for 4 hours, that’s almost $14K per second of racing, and for what? The live feed shows up to a few thousand viewers. Waiting and watching, waiting and watching... Say there are 10,000 devoted sailors really interested, willing to watch and wait. The competitors are spending $20K or more to entertain each and every one of us. Still watching... still waiting... sleepier now... dreaming about AC34... A pair dogzillionalinghaires cut costs by buying 10,000 twenty foot sportboats for their fans, making AC34 the largest OD "world" championship in the history of the universe. Start/finish line is 30 nm. There are 30,000 competitors in 10,000 boats. Media coverage is galactic, but wait... this is supposed to be a grudge match for the filthy rich and want to be famous. It is a political battle. The courts decide one half of the fleet will be painted blue, the other half red. Let the battle begin!

Whoa, what was that? Crap, spilled beer on the keyboard again. Must have dozed off. So where were we? Oh yeah, watching and waiting... watching and waiting...

#16 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,319 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:15 AM

Guess it is time to get in the shower and freeze my ass off for the next 6 hours. Goddamn.

#17 the rev. petey

the rev. petey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

Updated OTW AC 33 promo and Intro link is up and live....

check it out

Race at 1? Hmm..... I hope so, getting some footage of these boats racing seems harder than dry shaving a bobcats ass.

check in later for more action, interviews, and another cocktail hour

the good rev.

#18 the paradox of thrift

the paradox of thrift

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Interests:I like sailing

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:00 AM

Good job crew!

BRING IT!

Yep - fantastic. It was great to get all the best journo's together. Cool to hear so many different ideas and perspectives. Cheers.

#19 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,183 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

just woke up... whats going on?

#20 VTsailor

VTsailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:41 AM

Friend on pin mark boat just emailed me that he doesn't think anyone is going anywhere today. or atleast that is what they are getting told, still at dock

#21 chuso007

chuso007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

Is this going to be the thread to follow??

No audio at the office...

#22 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:58 AM

Absolutely beautiful day here in VLC. Probably 12 knots in the Darsena. Sunny and warming up nicely. 1.2 meter waves at the sea buoy, with max breeze 13 knots.

Not exactly a hive of activity on A5. Inside word is no racing...

#23 chuso007

chuso007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:59 AM

Is this going to be the thread to follow??

No audio at the office...

#24 crapula

crapula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:23 AM

Looks like rising sun is on the move.
lets race!

#25 roca

roca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

Is AP flag still up?
it takes minimum 3 hours before start after it lowered, so if still up (as per AC internet page) no start before 14.30- 15.00. In my opiniontoo late, darkness too early.

#26 Sparbuilder

Sparbuilder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:40 AM

No racing until 2pm Valencia time now.

From BMW Oracle blog:

Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Assessing conditions

According to the race organisers, the Race Committee is on station at the proposed start line area, still assessing the situation with regard to both wind and wave conditions.
Posted by Peter Rusch at 11:32
Still postponed

At 11:00, the AP flag (postponement) is still flying ashore.

According to the Sailing Instructions: "Following a postponement signal made ashore, the rescheduled time for the Warning Signal will be posted on the Official Notice Board before the lowering of Flag “AP” and the Warning Signal will not be made less than 3 hours after the posting."

So there will be no start before 14:00 CET (08:00 EST, 05:00 PST).

#27 chuso007

chuso007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

No racing today. Hope I'm wrong...

#28 Terrafirma

Terrafirma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:55 AM

No racing today. Hope I'm wrong...

Yes agreed the deed of gift and course stipulations suggest we could be waiting until the right conditions arrive, whenever that might be. Frustrating god damm...

#29 Smithy

Smithy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

Guess it is time to get in the shower and freeze my ass off for the next 6 hours. Goddamn.

So is Clean still in the shower or is there any chance (since he went to Valencia to cover the event) of him actually telling us what's going on?!

Not just SA, the coverage of this is shambolic. The main event website still shows the "live ticker" from 2 days ago, BOR site seems to just reshow their standard footage, etc. Is there no decent live blog or anything able to pass on where things are (AP still up, boats left dock or not, whatever...)?

#30 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

from the ac site...First information is that there will be no race today. AP flag is over A. That means Race 1 will take place, weather permitting at 1006 local time.

wtf? now what's the problem?

#31 poi

poi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

from the ac site...First information is that there will be no race today. AP flag is over A. That means Race 1 will take place, weather permitting at 1006 local time.

wtf? now what's the problem?

I think that is from Monday's updates. They have not refreshed the info there. The date 08/02/2010 is at the top of the ticker

#32 petemrtn

petemrtn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

Abandoned

#33 poi

poi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Twitter update: 33ACup No racing today #ac33

#34 Goonda

Goonda

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

http://twitter.com/33acup

No racing today

#35 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,497 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

This is bullshit. Randy Smythe on the ESPN 360 feed summed it up great by saying its "pathetic" and a "sad, sad day".

WetHog :ph34r:

#36 vmg

vmg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:05 AM

So what actually are these conditions that you can't sail a 90 footer in.

looking at my weather info, its 14 knots!

#37 poi

poi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

Harold Bennett (NZL) Principal Race Officer:
“ There is breeze outside but it it’s not so much the wind it is the leftover wave out there which could be the problem. But we have to go out and look at it.”
“ We have two forecasts. One is saying we will have an offshore breeze, another is saying an onshore breeze and there could show some convergence on that. We will have to wait and see.”
“During the practice races we had conditions which were OK, but today we have conditions which are different again.”

http://www.americasc...on-hold-19-1730

#38 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:11 AM

Don't know what to make of it, but there's lots of activity at the ALinghi base. RIBS are tying up to the boat and sailors are onboard.

#39 team_Sophie

team_Sophie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

This is shit, just shit. There is such a thing as drawing out the moment to far.

HTFU and get out there!

#40 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Harold Bennett (NZL) Principal Race Officer:
" There is breeze outside but it it's not so much the wind it is the leftover wave out there which could be the problem. But we have to go out and look at it."
" We have two forecasts. One is saying we will have an offshore breeze, another is saying an onshore breeze and there could show some convergence on that. We will have to wait and see."
"During the practice races we had conditions which were OK, but today we have conditions which are different again."

http://www.americasc...on-hold-19-1730

SA narchy rules!
Once again SA had it first for me.
Just as those posts went up both AC.com and BMWOR sites crashed my browser

#41 meanermachine

meanermachine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:14 AM

its clear that the SNG members of the race committee are over ruling Harold Bennett, Randy Smythe is indeed correct in summing it up as "pathetic" and "a sad, sad day".

FUCK SNG/EB and their fucking around with the AC!!

#42 Caravan Racing

Caravan Racing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

i raced home for this!!!???

fucking gay!!! really not impressed

#43 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

Neither BMW or AC sites have anything about abandoned yet?

Pics or it didnt happen...

#44 Der_Dude

Der_Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

Only leaves us to ponder whether a gigantic anticlimax is a paradox. Hm.

#45 219744

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

Wow, i can't believe abandoned. This has turned into a total farce....14 knots, 3-4 footers and they bail.....what a bunch of total pussies.....

If the intent was to kill whatever remaining interest there is for this event HB and SNG are succeeding in spades....

#46 poi

poi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:22 AM

Alinghi :
“Right now there’s quite a lot of breeze; the weather boats have around 20 knots which would be around 25 knots at the top of our mast,” said Alinghi strategist Murray Jones. “The waves are the biggest problem. I think they’re about 1.3m average size in the start area. So that means we could have a peak of 1.8m. I think that’s the biggest issue. The bad news is b/c of a lot of wind up north towards France the waves are unlikely to drop off during the day. Even though the wind may drop off, the waves won’t so that could be the determining factor for the day.”

http://www.alinghi.c...idContent=21989

#47 JRC808

JRC808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:22 AM

looking at a grib forecast for the area its only supposed to get shittier on friday...

#48 CorrosionX

CorrosionX

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

11-14 knot breeze, 3-4 foot sea state. What're they waiting for? This is supposed to be ocean racing after all, no? :angry:

#49 OldScowGuy

OldScowGuy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

BMWO crawl used to say race was cancelled, now says live press conference at 1330.

#50 Cameleon

Cameleon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:A-Class, C-Class

BMWO feed now says they are having a press conference at 1:30pm, they will broadcast live....no mention of racing being abandoned

#51 spencerogden

spencerogden

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

This is ridiculous. I haven't even seen a report on what the conditions on the course were.

Get on with. if there is a major shift, call the, but at least try FFS

#52 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,941 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:25 AM

its clear that the SNG members of the race committee are over ruling Harold Bennett, Randy Smythe is indeed correct in summing it up as "pathetic" and "a sad, sad day".

What evidence do you have for this? Or are you another idiot just shouting off..

As I understand it, the biggest issue is the stipulated course. First, the legs shall be 20 miles long, which is no problem. However, the real problem is that it needs to be 20 miles to windward and 20 miles to leeward, straight up and down. If the wind isn't in a pretty similar direction for thyat 20 miles, they cannot race or the race will be in breach of the DOG. The current situation appears to be that the forecasts and current directions suggest they won't get a DOG compliant course.

It will be interesting to see if BOR complain or agree with the decision.

#53 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:25 AM

Hotels are going to be doing well for the next few months while we wait for suitable weather

#54 OldScowGuy

OldScowGuy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

Hey Clean, if you go to the BMWO presser, can you ask them if they would be willing to sit down with SNG to discuss possible MC on a shorter course, and no rest day after a postponement day?

#55 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:33 AM

Hotels are going to be doing well for the next few months while we wait for suitable weather

No shit...what a f'ing joke. It should come as no surprise why interest in AC is at a fraction of what it once was.
Wake me when it's over.

#56 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,932 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:35 AM

As I understand it, the biggest issue is the stipulated course. First, the legs shall be 20 miles long, which is no problem. However, the real problem is that it needs to be 20 miles to windward and 20 miles to leeward, straight up and down. If the wind isn't in a pretty similar direction for thyat 20 miles, they cannot race or the race will be in breach of the DOG. The current situation appears to be that the forecasts and current directions suggest they won't get a DOG compliant course.

OK, answer me this:

How much communication from the starting line to the weather mark did they have back then?

Start the race. By the time the boats get there, even as fast as they are, conditions are not going to be like they were at the start. The races in San Diego started in 6-7 knots and built and shifted while the boats went up the first leg.

You think the NYYC worried about that when they ran the DoG courses? It was hours before the old boats got out to the 20 mile turning mark. I'm sure the wind changed substantially in many of the races back then. Waves too.

If they wait for perfection, 2017 will be an early forecast for the next match.

#57 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:40 AM

i was excited to finally get this thing going 2 days ago. This is starting to become a farce. SimonN, there is no evidence that HG is being overrules (although you can make a case for that) but more so the ridiculous wind and wave restrictions in the SI's added by Alinghi are pathetic. I don't believe today's abandonment was due to wind direction, but we'll need to wait and hear the "official" reason later.

I am SOOOO fucking tired of waking up early every morning for this bullshit

#58 219744

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

Come on guys Jones's direct quote tells you why they cancelled. This has nothing whatsoever to do with DoG, and everything to do with the bullshit of being too fragile to go out in shit they'd make kids race opti's in.

This is a very big fail, and if SNG/Alinghi are explicitly trying to destroy any remaining interest outside a small group of die-hard fans in this already marginalized event, well, they are succeeding...

#59 Smithy

Smithy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:45 AM

Simple statement now on BOR site:

"Racing abandoned on Wednesday.
The Race Committee for the 33rd America’s Cup has abandoned racing for the second consecutive race day.

Neither race boat left port as racing was initially postponed ashore. The Race Committee proceeded out to the race area to assess the conditions and elected to abandon racing for the day at noon, local time.

The next possible race day is Friday, 12th February."

#60 Lurker

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

I wonder what the weather is like this week in RAK

#61 Halidon

Halidon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:50 AM

After 3 times the two syndicate owners get dunked genitalia-first into a tank full of half-starved piranhas to see who sings soprano best, right? That's how it works?

#62 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,941 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

OK, answer me this:

How much communication from the starting line to the weather mark did they have back then?

Start the race. By the time the boats get there, even as fast as they are, conditions are not going to be like they were at the start. The races in San Diego started in 6-7 knots and built and shifted while the boats went up the first leg.

You think the NYYC worried about that when they ran the DoG courses? It was hours before the old boats got out to the 20 mile turning mark. I'm sure the wind changed substantially in many of the races back then. Waves too.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger! However, consider 2 points.

First, how do they lay a mark 20 miles to windward of the start if the wind is in a different direction 20 miles away? As soon as they try to get a start off like that, one of the teams (probably Alinghi) would fire off a protest seeking redress because the course isn't as specified. And IMO, the IJ would have to find in their favour.

Second, lets imagine for one moment that after 15 miles of the first leg, BOR had got the lead but winds from a different direction brought A5 reaching over the top and they sail away to victory. BOR protest, seeking redress because the course was not 20 miles to windward. I bet nost on here would say that BOR should win.

Knowing all of that, how can the RC let the race start when they know there is a good chance it will lead to a request for redress? That would be bad race oficering!

However, it could be that SNG aren't playing the game but we will have to see what BOR have to say as they do have TE on the comms boat.

Maybe! But this is exactly what Alinghi warned about when they said the conditions in Valencia at this time of year were unsuitable. Everybody on here simply assumed that Alinghi just wanted to fix the conditions. Well, they might have been but they weren't wrong about Valencia!

#63 team_Sophie

team_Sophie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:52 AM

When the DOG was written would they have been able to measure a true windward return course of 20 miles?

So one for the historians out there. When was the last time that a windward return course of 20 mile leg lengths sailed in the AC?

#64 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,941 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

Come on guys Jones's direct quote tells you why they cancelled. This has nothing whatsoever to do with DoG, and everything to do with the bullshit of being too fragile to go out in shit they'd make kids race opti's in.

This is a very big fail, and if SNG/Alinghi are explicitly trying to destroy any remaining interest outside a small group of die-hard fans in this already marginalized event, well, they are succeeding...

If what Murray says was correct, I bet that BOR wouldn't want to go sailing with winds at mast height of 25 knots and waves of 1.8 metres. In the Med, that's a pretty nasty sea.

#65 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:00 PM

Whilst we are all waiting here is some multi-hull match racing ...

Extreme 40 - Oman

#66 FatimaRules

FatimaRules

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:06 PM

You guys are barking up the conspiracy tree here.

First question - what is your definition of a true windward course. If your answer is anything other than an acceptable average, then you are not going to be able to set a 20metre leg, let alone a 20 mile leg.

#67 219744

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:08 PM

If what Murray says was correct, I bet that BOR wouldn't want to go sailing with winds at mast height of 25 knots and waves of 1.8 metres. In the Med, that's a pretty nasty sea.

It will be interesting to see just what BMWO says in the press conference here in 30 mins or so...i'm betting that they would have been more than willing to go line up.

That said, I'm very much hoping I don't have to come back and eat crow...but it's certainly possible I will... :)

#68 meanermachine

meanermachine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

What evidence do you have for this? Or are you another idiot just shouting off..

while rather annoyed at the time of writing because of staying late for nothing, I maintain that SNG will have put masive pressure on to abandon because they know they could not handle the wind and may lose and/or break down. the fact that Fred Meyer tried to stop Ehman going on the RC boat on day one shows that they do not want people nosing about in their business. we all know fairly well that A5 is built for light/flat conditions and USA is being called an "all-rounder", i'm willing to bet a large sum of money that the two SNG race committee members will have been instructed to push for no racing because of the wave state.

there is no way you can get a 20mile course that is consistently straight up and down, windward and leeward. there is always going to be some change in direction as you go up and down the course. the terms "to windward" and "to leeward" do not mean, in a lot of people's opinion, directly upwind and downwind; they could be roughly upwind and downwind and still be in the general direction of "to windward" and "to leeward". one must make do with what you have, and Valencia in Feb is not going to provide stable winds for 20mile distances, so the RC is going to have to do their best with the situation they have been presented with... which should be to HTFU and send the bitches out to race, surely we can all agree on that?

#69 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,932 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:12 PM

OK, answer me this:

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

BANG!

I need to check this out, but I have not seen the part about 'wind shifts' in the DoG conditions.

I have read accounts of where the wind conditions changed during a race, and one of the boats gaining an advantage. Maybe one of the Ashbury races?

If they come-out and say 'the waves were too big', and according to MB they have been 1.3-1.4m recorded at the weather buoy offshore, then that is major B.S.

#70 Cold_Wet_and_Tired

Cold_Wet_and_Tired

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

I wonder what the weather is like this week in RAK

Looks better than Valencia!

http://www.wundergro...ions/41184.html

#71 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Tobogganing, Hockey.

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

Maybe! But this is exactly what Alinghi warned about when they said the conditions in Valencia at this time of year were unsuitable. Everybody on here simply assumed that Alinghi just wanted to fix the conditions. Well, they might have been but they weren't wrong about Valencia!

Then perhaps they should have chosen a deed legal location. They had 1/2 the planet to choose from, and plenty of time to do so.

#72 219744

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

very nice job by Jimmy to diplomatically say that it wasn't BMWO asking for an abandonment....

they were ready to go.....Race Committee pussed out.....

no crow eating today for me...phew....

#73 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

very nice job by Jimmy to diplomatically say that it wasn't BMWO asking for an abandonment....

i think they sent JS out there for the press conference because he would be "nicer"

#74 Peelman

Peelman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,120 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list and to save post space.........

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

JS is doing a great job of supporting HB & letting the journ's decide how to write todays story.

Tons of great info on the wing.

BOR having these pressers is a good idea.

#75 219744

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:57 PM

i think they sent JS out there for the press conference because he would be "nicer"

Jimmy was pretty polished actually for a younger guy, I was impressed.

I think you are right in that he was probably the only one they could send out...I wish actually it would have been RC...think that would have been quite interesting...

#76 sprtn94

sprtn94

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Interests:Making things go fast

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

Clean is having one hell of a shower :P

#77 VTsailor

VTsailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

Annoyed with another day without racing. Alinghi should learn that bored Sailing Anarchist scheme and cause trouble. Photos to come. Trying to get clean to open a new topic for us.

#78 VTsailor

VTsailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

Annoyed with another day without racing. Alinghi should learn that bored Sailing Anarchist scheme and cause trouble. Photos to come. Trying to get clean to open a new topic for us.

Facebook Photo LocationFacebook photo location VT Sailor

#79 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Apart from sailing? Photography, Camping & Skiing.

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:35 PM

i was excited to finally get this thing going 2 days ago. This is starting to become a farce. SimonN, there is no evidence that HG is being overrules (although you can make a case for that) but more so the ridiculous wind and wave restrictions in the SI's added by Alinghi are pathetic. I don't believe today's abandonment was due to wind direction, but we'll need to wait and hear the "official" reason later.

I am SOOOO fucking tired of waking up early every morning for this bullshit

Absolutely agreed with both of these points. It's getting to be a joke and I'm fairly well fed up with this bullshit.

#80 garboard strake

garboard strake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

Facebook Photo LocationFacebook photo location VT Sailor

you've teased a couple times now

as a dedicated misanthope, the last thing I'd do is sign up in any way with Facebook, even to see some juicy AC stuff
sp. MISANTHROPE
can't ya make whatever ya got available some way to those of us who don't want anything to do with Facebook?

#81 bwd

bwd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

yeah dont facebookfag us, you're an anrchist, right?

#82 Windy6327

Windy6327

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:20 AM

fucking hilarious VT!

#83 ILYA_Fan

ILYA_Fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Scows, iceboating, bareboat charters.

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:42 AM

fucking hilarious VT!

What's so hilarious? I have facebook and VT's gay pictures page doesn't even load. Funny that he's trolling and baiting people?

#84 Shife

Shife

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:19 AM

fucking hilarious VT!

What's so hilarious? I have facebook and VT's gay pictures page doesn't even load. Funny that he's trolling and baiting people?

Untwist your damn panties. It's just a funny photo of him standing in front of the Cup with a message that reads "How many days until this moves next door?".

Christ you people are sensitive.

#85 elfgifu

elfgifu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:32 AM

right, what are the odds of them racing over the weekend?

i'm suddenly taken by the idea of actually being able to enjoy this down the pub for an (albeit early) pint.

#86 Wildman

Wildman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:12 AM

i'm suddenly taken by the idea of actually being able to enjoy this down the pub for an (albeit early) pint.

Hmm, wonder what the chances are of being able to persuade the bar manager in my club to open the bar at 9am UK time on Sunday?
The sun will be over the yard arm somewhere in the world.

#87 elfgifu

elfgifu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:33 AM

Hmm, wonder what the chances are of being able to persuade the bar manager in my club to open the bar at 9am UK time on Sunday?
The sun will be over the yard arm somewhere in the world.

there are places out there....though they are pretty rough.

i might just have to settle for drinking in bed (i was actually banking on another delay so i could head down for a few jars when it finally starts around lunch time - if at all).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users