64 replies to this topic

#1 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

Who's in for BAMA ( Bay Area Multihull Association ) 31st DHF on Sat. April 3rd ?
Dave Wilhite from the J80 "Heatwave" will talk about about his experience in DHF 2009
Also a review of the Olsen 40 "Pterodactyl" experience in DHF 2008

31st DHF 2010 for updates, details, online entry link.
Per the NOR, Coast Guard requires 406 beacons. Time to buy, borrow, rent one of these great aids to the CG SAR teams.
Since 406 beacons need to be registered to the yacht on the course, entry's need to be submitted by the Skippers Meeting

Skippers' meeting, Wednesday March 31 7:30 p.m. at the
Oakland Yacht Club. All skippers are requested to attend. Any changes in starting procedures, course limits, division placement, etc., will be announced at this meeting. Each skipper is responsible for acquiring information of such changes. Participation mementos for skipper and crew will be available at the Skipper's meeting and Trophy presentation.

Trophy presentation will be at the Berkekey Yacht Club, 2 PM, Saturday, April 10'th, 2010

"Have a great race!"

#2 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

Bob,
Don't you think you could have pimped your race w/o dredging up every old fucking DHF thread on the boards?

#3 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:14 PM

^
Well it wasn't all the boards, there are quite a few, but what was left out was the context which may have triggered your response.

In my haste to post, it was generic and not specific to which board it was posted to and why.

It was posted to the recent DHLS thread since that was fairly active with the epirb discussion and was relevant due to the changes in CG role in regatta permits. This new CG role delayed DHF sailing instructions while it was finalized. You'll note that entry deadline has been pulled in also for the same reason.

It was posted to the original DHF 2009 thread plus the small boat capsizes thread since Dave Wilhite of Heat Wave will talk at the skippers meeting about his experience in DHF 2009- those folks might be interested in what he has to say I think.

It was posted to the DHF 2008 thread where the crew of the Olsen 40 Pterodactyl catapulted into the water and were picked up by a sailor out for a daysail 20 or so miles offshore. There will be a special review of DHF 2008 at the skippers meeting which might interest those participants.

While some sailors always do the race, a considerable number don't and its a special event to them and hence the specific posts. So to all that always do it- thanks- and my apologies for the generic redundant posts!
cheers..and have a great race!
bob

#4 JRC808

JRC808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:37 AM

oyc lol I almost thought oceanside yacht club...

#5 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

oyc lol I almost thought oceanside yacht club...

Yes, OYC in this case is Oakland YC which hosts the skippers meeting at 7:30 pm
Directions
http://maps.google.c...ngIwAA&t=h&z=16

OYC site http://www.oaklandyachtclub.com/

Everyone is welcome to attend the skippers meeting to learn from and about the experiences of Heatwave and Pterodactyl.

#6 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

^
Well it wasn't all the boards, there are quite a few, but what was left out was the context which may have triggered your response.

In my haste to post, it was generic and not specific to which board it was posted to and why.

It was posted to the recent DHLS thread since that was fairly active with the epirb discussion and was relevant due to the changes in CG role in regatta permits. This new CG role delayed DHF sailing instructions while it was finalized. You'll note that entry deadline has been pulled in also for the same reason.

It was posted to the original DHF 2009 thread plus the small boat capsizes thread since Dave Wilhite of Heat Wave will talk at the skippers meeting about his experience in DHF 2009- those folks might be interested in what he has to say I think.

It was posted to the DHF 2008 thread where the crew of the Olsen 40 Pterodactyl catapulted into the water and were picked up by a sailor out for a daysail 20 or so miles offshore. There will be a special review of DHF 2008 at the skippers meeting which might interest those participants.

While some sailors always do the race, a considerable number don't and its a special event to them and hence the specific posts. So to all that always do it- thanks- and my apologies for the generic redundant posts!
cheers..and have a great race!
bob

Yeah, that makes a ton of fucking sense. So, if in the future some boat sinks, are you going to post it to a thread about the Titanic?

#7 ULDBGuy

ULDBGuy

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

"Per the NOR, Coast Guard requires 406 beacons. Time to buy, borrow, rent one of these great aids to the CG SAR teams.

Since 406 beacons need to be registered to the yacht on the course, entry's need to be submitted by the Skippers Meeting"

If someone borrows an EPIRB, are they going to have time to re-register it to their boat? Even Sal doesn't re-register the EPIRBs and he rents them out all the time. I don't think Boat US re-registers their EPIRBs either, but I haven't rented from them. The registered owner just needs to be around if the call comes in.

If the CG wants to see the actual NOAA registration with the borrower's boat name on it, that's going to be a problem.

#8 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

"Per the NOR, Coast Guard requires 406 beacons. Time to buy, borrow, rent one of these great aids to the CG SAR teams.

Since 406 beacons need to be registered to the yacht on the course, entry's need to be submitted by the Skippers Meeting"

If someone borrows an EPIRB, are they going to have time to re-register it to their boat? Even Sal doesn't re-register the EPIRBs and he rents them out all the time. I don't think Boat US re-registers their EPIRBs either, but I haven't rented from them. The registered owner just needs to be around if the call comes in.

If the CG wants to see the actual NOAA registration with the borrower's boat name on it, that's going to be a problem.

Perhaps some of the folks who participated in the DHLS can provide more details/insight. What I know of the DHLS is that 42 of 44 boats had epirbs/plb by race day. The notice for that was 24-48 hrs. So there is a means. The race application form has a new space for cell number and epirb registration number. The application needs to be submitted by skippers meeting which give the race comm. a day to get the info to the CG. I believe the CG is looking for the info by Thursday night. Presumably the online epirb registration (link below) gives you the registration number for the form.

Check the link on the race page >>>

NOTICE: The Entry Requirements Have Changed.
You must have a 406 MHz beacon onboard during the race.
That Beacon must be registered to the yacht on the course.Posted Image
Please Download and Use Instructions with a "3/20/10" date.

#9 ULDBGuy

ULDBGuy

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

Should have asked that question before the Entry Requirements were written . . .

#10 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

Should have asked that question before the Entry Requirements were written . . .

The answer would not have changed.. it was inevitable despite efforts otherwise

#11 ULDBGuy

ULDBGuy

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

Belaboring the point, but I meant about whether the EPIRB has to be registered to the entered yacht. As you wrote the rule it does, and that will eliminate most rentals or loaners.

#12 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

Belaboring the point, but I meant about whether the EPIRB has to be registered to the entered yacht. As you wrote the rule it does, and that will eliminate most rentals or loaners.

hhmm
I believe that it was the same as DHLS (as OYRA). I'll pass your input along. Maybe it can be revised or some other workaround.
Thanks

#13 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,674 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

I'm a big, fat Maybe on this race

#14 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

Go to the NOAA website and re-register the borrowed beacon with the appropriate information. It should take about 5 minutes at most. Then when you're done with it, go back on-line and re-register it back to the original owner's info. OR...just take the sucker, and be sure to tell the POC on the EPIRB owner's registration that if they get a call from the coasties, be sure to tell them that it's a valid hit...please.

#15 Corvo

Corvo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Spelling and grammar

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

hhmm
I believe that it was the same as DHLS (as OYRA). I'll pass your input along. Maybe it can be revised or some other workaround.
Thanks

Bob -
It appears that the requirement to register the unit to the entered yacht also effectively eliminates PLBs, since they're registered to an individual. I don't think that's BAMA's intent, is it?

#16 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:19 PM

hhmm
Thanks

Bob -
It appears that the requirement to register the unit to the entered yacht also effectively eliminates PLBs, since they're registered to an individual. I don't think that's BAMA's intent, is it?

Not the intent. Check the application form. I think that the yacht, crew, float plan, contact info- and your 406 beacon registration satisfies the requirement. I assume the plb have some registration if not noaa? The form ask for a registration number.
Thanks
Bob

#17 Corvo

Corvo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

Bob -

Not the intent. Check the application form. I think that the yacht, crew, float plan, contact info- and your 406 beacon registration satisfies the requirement. I assume the plb have some registration if not noaa?
Thanks
Bob

IIRC (I couldn't locate mine) PLB registration is still handled by NOAA, but it doesn't call for a boat name. Just a person.

I can't make the race this time. Too busy with boat prep for a little ocean race in June, and anyway the engine will be out and probably still in pieces on April 3.

#18 SailDaddy

SailDaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Sailing -doh, Outdoors, torturing my young children, Mt Biking<br />Shopping for a fast single hander so I can torture my children on the bay.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:32 PM

We're gonna take a shot at the race. I've done it 4 times DH and bunches more with crude (sic) and it's always been fun. My rule it if ceases to be fun we go home (if we can). Plus my bed time is 9PM. Once finished at 2AM. So I'll just go off watch at 8:45.

We have an EPIRB registered to the yacht and 2 PLBs one registered to the skipper and the other to whoever I borrowed mine from. But they aren't on my life insurance so they should validate the hit.

I figure if we're going down we're lightin up the SAR systems like a Christmas tree. 3 Hand held VHFs for 2 guys lots of LED flashlights, pocket flares and an umbrella is sure to keep the weather nice. Even have a spare keel although it isn't a J boat. Sure the cell phone will work just fine while treading water so long as AT&T doesn't keep dropping the call.

Got the prefilled float plan filed so we best not get lost out there.

Don't forget the Colonel in case the bar (SF Bay bar) closes once were outside and lots of rum. If no one else signs up maybe we can place in this race. Of course then we'd have to finish too. Oh and it is opening day of the first salmon season in 3 years so I may take a rod. (Skip will be so happy) We'll have lots of company of fisherman w/o PLBs EPIRBs and float plans to keep us company. But they aint' gettin any of my chicken.

I ain't skeered yet.

#19 SlackWater_SF

SlackWater_SF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:01 AM

Boat US rents EPIRBs and GPIRB's Link

EPIRB rental rates look reasonable?
LINK

Equipment Rental Information:

EPIRB Rental
  • $40 Weekly Rental Rate
  • $25 Ground Shipping Only
  • To ensure receipt of equipment order must be completed 10 business days prior to need date..
GPIRB Rental
  • $65 Weekly Rental Rate
  • $35 3 Day UPS
  • $55 2nd Day UPS
  • $65 Overnight UPS
  • Orders completed by 2pm EST on standard business days will be processed the same day

#20 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

hhmm
Thanks

Bob -

Not the intent. Check the application form. I think that the yacht, crew, float plan, contact info- and your 406 beacon registration satisfies the requirement. I assume the plb have some registration if not noaa? The form ask for a registration number.
Thanks
Bob

Yes, PLB's are registered to individuals. If the registered individual is on the yacht during the race, all requirements will be met and everyone will be happy.
Cheers!

#21 Corvo

Corvo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

Yes, PLB's are registered to individuals. If the registered individual is on the yacht during the race, all requirements will be met and everyone will be happy.
Cheers!

Bob, here's where we disagree. I think precision in language is important, especially in the current brouhaha over EPIRB requirements. The DHF rules require a "406MHz EPIRB or PLB registered with NOAA to the yacht in the race". A PLB registered to an individual who is on the yacht is not registered to the yacht. See what I'm getting at?

But I know you don't want to revise your SIs again. It probably - probably - won't be a problem. Have a great race.

#22 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

Cheers!

Bob, here's where we disagree. I think precision in language is important, especially in the current brouhaha over EPIRB requirements. The DHF rules require a "406MHz EPIRB or PLB registered with NOAA to the yacht in the race". A PLB registered to an individual who is on the yacht is not registered to the yacht. See what I'm getting at?

But I know you don't want to revise your SIs again. It probably - probably - won't be a problem. Have a great race.

.and I thought the precision issue was going to be "yeah but they're not on the yacht when they set the PLB off!"...Just kidding a little.
Point noted though, thanks for the input.

#23 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

Who's in for BAMA ( Bay Area Multihull Association ) 31st DHF on Sat. April 3rd ?
Dave Wilhite from the J80 "Heatwave" will talk about about his experience in DHF 2009

Per the NOR, Coast Guard requires 406 beacons. Time to buy, borrow, rent one of these great aids to the CG SAR teams.
Since 406 beacons need to be registered to the yacht on the course, entry's need to be submitted by the Skippers Meeting

Oakland Yacht Club. All skippers are requested to attend. Any changes in starting procedures, course limits, division placement, etc., will be announced at this meeting. Each skipper is responsible for acquiring information of such changes. Participation mementos for skipper and crew will be available at the Skipper's meeting and Trophy presentation.

Trophy presentation will be at the Berkekey Yacht Club, 2 PM, Saturday, April 10'th, 2010

"Have a great race!"

New report that the skipper of Olsen 40 "Pterodactyl" will also attend skippers meeting!

#24 dylan

dylan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

Hey Bob,

Can you please explain the check-in procedure? Its a bit confusing. Do we first check-in between 7:15 and our division flag and then wait for the RC to start a roll call. Sounds redundant and WILL cause more confusion right before starts. I don't think the roll call is a good idea and is unneeded if the RC and competitors have already established 2 way communication.

Thanks

REQUIRED RADIO CHECK-INs
All yachts must check in with the Race Committee on VHF
Channel 69 between 7:15 and when their division flag is raised
5 minutes prior to their start. At all times, channel 71 will be
used for all other race communications. The official channel for
race communications except for check-ins will be 71. Yachts
that attempt to check in on channel 71 will be directed to
channel 69.
Unlike previous years, this year, the check-in will be
conducted by the Race Committee as a roll-call. The roll call
for each division will begin 15 minutes prior to that division’s
start. Roll call for all divisions will continue until the start of the
last division in the race. Late starters may check in The request
for check-in shall include (in the following order), division
number, yacht name, sail number. The check-in shall not be
complete until the race committee acknowledges the entry by
repeating the identity of the racing yacht.
Example:
RC: “This is the Race Committee requesting that yacht
Seahorse check-in for Division 4. Over”
Seahorse: “This is the yacht Seahorse, sail number 54321,
checking in for division 4. Over."
RC: "Seahorse, this is Race Committee. Sail number
54321 is checked in for Division 4. Out."
If you do not hear a confirmation from the Race Committee,
assume you have not been checked in.
Yachts sailing the course without a check-in will be scored
as "Did Not Start" even if observed crossing the starting line.
For safety purposes, yachts observed to have crossed the start
line shall be included in roll calls, to ensure that they are
accounted for at the finish. However, inclusion in a roll call
shall not be construed as acceptance of any yacht as a
properly started racer.

#25 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

Hey Bob,

Can you please explain the check-in procedure? Its a bit confusing. Do we first check-in between 7:15 and our division flag and then wait for the RC to start a roll call. Sounds redundant and WILL cause more confusion right before starts. I don't think the roll call is a good idea and is unneeded if the RC and competitors have already established 2 way communication.

Thanks

REQUIRED RADIO CHECK-INs
channel 69.
for each division will begin 15 minutes prior to that division's
Example:
RC: "This is the Race Committee requesting that yacht
Seahorse check-in for Division 4. Over"
Seahorse: "This is the yacht Seahorse, sail number 54321,
properly started racer.

Thanks Dylan and glad to have you back. Let me check and get back to you!

#26 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:08 AM

Hey Bob,

Thanks

REQUIRED RADIO CHECK-INs
channel 69.
Example:
properly started racer.

Thanks Dylan and glad to have you back. Let me check and get back to you!

Here's the update:
The instructions will not be changed around the roll-call for checking in.
Any yachts attempting to check in out of turn will be asked (politely by Mama Shama :-) to stand by on channel 69 until their yacht is hailed for check-in by the race committee. It's that simple

#27 dylan

dylan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:27 AM

Here's the update:
Any yachts attempting to check in out of turn will be asked (politely by Mama Shama :-) to stand by on channel 69 until their yacht is hailed for check-in by the race committee. It's that simple
[/quote]

Thanks Bob,

The RC is still going to have a bunch of racers calling in between 7:15 and their starts. You are using a check-in procedure that is different than all other SF ocean races. You can make it easy on everyone by just remove this sentence:

REQUIRED RADIO CHECK-INs
5 minutes prior to their start.

#28 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:21 PM

[quote name='dylan' date='27 March 2010 - 10:27 PM' timestamp='1269754074' post='2792342']
Here's the update:
[/quote]

Thanks Bob,

The RC is still going to have a bunch of racers calling in between 7:15 and their starts. You are using a check-in procedure that is different than all other SF ocean races. You can make it easy on everyone by just remove this sentence:

REQUIRED RADIO CHECK-INs
[/quote]

Ok, I looked into some of the reasons why we made this change..here's the response,

Top Ten Reasons that BAMA is using a roll call this year:
10. We are an innovative club. 'nough said.
9. So we can change every yacht's division assignment at the last minute, literally
8. We sail multihull yachts. Why would anyone expect us to conform?
7. it is logical (ask mr. Spock)
6. We're doing it so Mama Shama will have to talk more. We LOVE the sound of her voice.
5. After running the race for what, 10 years, I'm bored with the old way.
4. Dave Letterman told us to.
3. BAMA really stands for "Bureaucrats who Always Mess Around"
2. "Do you hear me now?" only works for cell phones, not VHF radios
And the number 1 reason we are doing it this way:

1. Because the other way sucks!

Hope that helps!
Have a great race!

#29 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:15 AM

[quote name='K38BOB' date='28 March 2010 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1269814902' post='2792787']
[quote name='dylan' date='27 March 2010 - 10:27 PM' timestamp='1269754074' post='2792342']
Here's the update:
[/quote]

Thanks Bob,

REQUIRED RADIO CHECK-INs
[/quote]

Ok, I looked into some of the reasons why we made this change..here's the response,

9. So we can change every yacht's division assignment at the last minute, literally
6. We're doing it so Mama Shama will have to talk more. We LOVE the sound of her voice.

Hope that helps!
Have a great race!
[/quote]

A recipe for disaster with a little attitude to boot.
Good luck

#30 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:58 AM

[quote name='Monster Mash' date='28 March 2010 - 05:15 PM' timestamp='1269821754' post='2792882']
[quote name='K38BOB' date='28 March 2010 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1269814902' post='2792787']
Here's the update:
[/quote]

Thanks Bob,

REQUIRED RADIO CHECK-INs
[/quote]

Hope that helps!
Have a great race!
[/quote]

A recipe for disaster with a little attitude to boot.
Good luck
[/quote]

Sorry that attempt at levity came across as attitude, if you knew the parties involved- the opposite. Calm , reasoned and trying to solve a problem with something new with the experince and committment to undertsand the up/downside benefits/risks. We'll see how it goes. I'm sure it will be discussed at the skippers meeting.

#31 dylan

dylan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:01 AM

Funny Bob,

I am not questioning the BAMA RCs right to use this new check-in roll call procedure. It is probably a more efficient check-in process and I will comply. However, I still believe the language used to described the procedure should be cleaned up for the S.I.s.

I still interpret the NOR section regarding check-in to mean that boats must check in from 7:15 until their division flag is raised.

You can make this easy by cutting out the first paragraph of the N...

I give up.

See ya at the skippers meeting.

#32 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:55 AM

Anyone heading up to the Skipper's Meeting from Santa Cruz?
I've got a trophy to return.
Thanks

#33 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

Can you please explain the check-in procedure?

Don't forget about the Roll-Call every Half-Hour starting @ 9pm. Hope it's not a slow one.

#34 Surf City Racing

Surf City Racing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:06 PM

Anyone heading up to the Skipper's Meeting from Santa Cruz?
I've got a trophy to return.
Thanks

Yep. PM sent.

#35 Greyhawk

Greyhawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:cruising and racing on the Gulf of Maine and beyond

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:52 AM

Hey Bob,

Thanks

REQUIRED RADIO CHECK-INs
channel 69.
Example:
properly started racer.

Here's the update:

Just an observation from a dis-interested outsider: the second paragraph in the check-in procedure contradicts the first, which appears to be the source of the confusion about the SI's. The first paragraph instructs yachts to call the RC to check-in beginning at 7:15; while the second paragraph instructs yachts to wait until the RC calls them. You could probably move Paragraph 1 to follow Paragraph 2 and clear up much of the confusion...

#36 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:05 AM

Funny Bob,

I am not questioning the BAMA RCs right to use this new check-in roll call procedure. It is probably a more efficient check-in process and I will comply. However, I still believe the language used to described the procedure should be cleaned up for the S.I.s.

I still interpret the NOR section regarding check-in to mean that boats must check in from 7:15 until their division flag is raised.

You can make this easy by cutting out the first paragraph of the N...

I give up.

See ya at the skippers meeting.

Thanks everyone for gentle persistence and keen observations, I think we have a breakthrough...

>>Now I get it. There are self-inconsistent instructions in the NoR.
Strike (remove) the sentence "The roll call for each division will begin 15 minutes prior to that division’s start" from the NoR and you will then have my intent. I'll take a poll (not a roll call) at the skipper's meeting and see what the racers want to do. Rest assured, there will be plenty of time to get everyone checked in.<<<

How is that??
Bob

#37 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:07 AM

Hey Bob,

Thanks

REQUIRED RADIO CHECK-INs
channel 69.
Example:
properly started racer.

Here's the update:

Just an observation from a dis-interested outsider: the second paragraph in the check-in procedure contradicts the first, which appears to be the source of the confusion about the SI's. The first paragraph instructs yachts to call the RC to check-in beginning at 7:15; while the second paragraph instructs yachts to wait until the RC calls them. You could probably move Paragraph 1 to follow Paragraph 2 and clear up much of the confusion...

Thanks! Does this work http://forums.sailin...dpost&p=2794274

#38 dylan

dylan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:53 AM

I'm just trying to figure out when I need to leave the dock.

When will roll call check in start?

7:15 or 7:45 (15 minutes before first start). Sounds like 7:15 is the RC's plan.

#39 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:59 AM

You're really going to want THIS to go away before Saturday's start.

.MARINE DISCUSSION...AS OF 2:45 PM PDT MONDAY...SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER
SWELLS ARE FORECAST TO SPREAD SOUTHWARD OVER OUR COASTAL WATERS
TONIGHT AND TUESDAY. 15 TO 17 FT SWELLS CAN BE EXPECTED ON TUESDAY...
CONTINUING THROUGH MOST OF WEDNESDAY. A HIGH SURF ADVISORY (SEE
SFOCFWMTR) HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THE COAST FROM THE SAN FRANCISCO
PENINSULA NORTHWARD BEGINNING 6 AM TUESDAY...AND FOR THE REMAINDER OF
OUR COAST BEGINNING AT NOON ON TUESDAY. THE EXPERIMENTAL BAR FCST
PAGE IS INDC THE POSSIBILITY OF 20 FT SEAS AT THE BAR BY MID WEEK.

#40 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

The forecast is backing off a bit:

SAT
W WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
NW SWELL 11 TO 13 FT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

#41 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

7:15 or 7:45 (15 minutes before first start). Sounds like 7:15 is the RC's plan.

We'll get clarity after the skippers meeting discussion and confirm.
cheers
bob

#42 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:26 AM

"Have a great race!"

Here's the entrants list>>>
http://www.sfbayrace...m/entrylist.php
Have a great race!

#43 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

cheers
bob

Ok, after the discussion last night, here's a preview of the sailing instruction revision to be posted later today. The SI of course are the final say.

The new text is as follows:

All yachts must check in with the Race Committee on VHF Channel 69. At all times, channel 71 will be used for all other race communications. The official channel for race communications except for check-ins will be 71. Yachts that attempt to check in on channel 71 will be directed to channel 69.

Unlike previous years, this year the Race Committee will conduct the check-in as a roll call. The roll call for all yachts will begin at 7:15 and will repeat every 5 minutes until the division flag is raised for the last scheduled division start. Yachts arriving late may check-in by hailing the race committee on channel 69 after the last division flag has been raised.

New set of instructions will get pushed out today
cheers, and have a great race
Bob

#44 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:11 AM

cheers
bob

Ok, after the discussion last night, here's a preview of the sailing instruction revision to be posted later today. The SI of course are the final say.

The new text is as follows:

All yachts must check in with the Race Committee on VHF Channel 69. At all times, channel 71 will be used for all other race communications. The official channel for race communications except for check-ins will be 71. Yachts that attempt to check in on channel 71 will be directed to channel 69.

Unlike previous years, this year the Race Committee will conduct the check-in as a roll call. The roll call for all yachts will begin at 7:15 and will repeat every 5 minutes until the division flag is raised for the last scheduled division start. Yachts arriving late may check-in by hailing the race committee on channel 69 after the last division flag has been raised.

New set of instructions will get pushed out today
cheers, and have a great race
Bob

New Si (again!) online with division assignments
http://www.sfbama.or.../dhf/index.html

#45 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:47 PM

For those that attended skippers meeting, how about we log the interesting things learned from the talks. Here's what I think I heard

Dave Wilhite from the J80 "Heatwave" talk about his experience in DHF 2009 :
1-Handheld vhf at sea level 5 watts was clearly heard by CG (better radio on the ridge) but not RC ( line of sight and power limit).
2-No strobe (on the desk)- in the dark during rescue
3-Short tether wo quick release was a problem due to inversion (also Multihull problem) but knife worked
4-Position was given by visual reference to channel marker and alcatraz light
5-In the water for about 60 mins!! Weak but functioning
6-Lost radio and dark at time of rescue- Pilot boat was first on the scene quickly followed by helo and CG boat- darkness to daylight!
7-VHF radio was accessible with some diving in elastic closed sheet bag
8-You can't "legislate" equipment solutions since every situation is different and not necessarily predicted- have flexibility and rely on seamanship
9-We should work on self rescue efforts as a community
10-Humor under duress is good
11-Dave said there was nothing the Race Committee or BAMA should change to make the race safer
12-Was competitive swimmer in HS and didn't think he could swim with boots. He was wearing boat moc's deckshoe

Olsen 40 "Pterodactyl"experience in DHF 2008
(and congratulations to Clifford Shaw and crew for receiving
US sailing Arthur B Hanson Award for rescue at sea!)

1-Be aware of your fellow boaters and be proactive if things don't look right. Cliff was out for a daysail and noticed the Olsen 40 that had been sailed well was not recovering from the looks of the worst tack ever. He used binoculars and observed the empty cockpit and then located the crew in the water
2-Their approach was a bit short since multihulls are light and stopped short
3-Tossing the lifesling was good but short and only one crew
4-Under power used as designed- lifesling worked and has benefit of collecting both crew at once
5-Low freeboard is good to get crew out of water- scoops good- 2 scoops mo betta Posted Image
6-Hypothermia clothes/sleeping bags a good thing
7-The pterodactyl skipper ( Luc De Faymoreau- who will crew on Cliffs catamaran this DHF) was extremely grateful- and also a fan of short tethers (hhmm..different boat, circumstance)

Feel free to add, dispute, elaborate, collaborate

#46 SlackWater_SF

SlackWater_SF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

There was a nice ebb tide, lightish wind, and a few boats were over early, taking a long time to clear the line.

69 boats registered
56 started (?)

Attached Files

#47 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

I rode out to Pt. Bonita around noonish. Looked relatively light, with lots of big lumps. South bar is still breaking from around 3 mi out all the way to Ocean Beach. Bonita Channel has occasional breakers. It looked and felt a bit like the wind was starting to pick up when I left.

#48 stinky

stinky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:27 PM

Just saw Timberwolf and Saffire finish @ 4:30. Looked like a few others had finished and were sorting themselves out before heading home.

edit: but did anyone get any salmon?

#49 Multihauler

Multihauler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:40 PM

First boat to Finish:

Tatiana, F-9AX/32 14:35:40

-MH

#50 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,674 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:23 AM

my crew is seasick susceptible - and he knew this forecast was for a 1st class puker, so we pulled the plug. Instead, we're gonna try out the storm sails during tomorrows storm. Should be fun.

#51 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:38 AM

5 horns x2
Anybody have information and comments on the reported container ship 5 blasts for one of the racers and the 2nd round of 5 blasts?
Thanks!

#52 deep6

deep6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:going fast....

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

some selects from this afternoon

Had my big lens abroad Twist, got some shots at the rock pile.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rnutball/DoubleHandedFarallones2010#

#53 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

http://picasaweb.goo...Farallones2010#

Thanks. Any race report? And thanks for graphically displaying your boat name for the finish..but it wasn't necessary. You could skip it next year!

#54 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:48 AM

Thanks. Any race report? And thanks for graphically displaying your boat name for the finish..but it wasn't necessary. You could skip it next year!

Pics of first to finish
14:35:40 - Tatiana, First-to-Finish,

Preliminary, ...

Pics (start pictures are earlier, other finishers later) courtesy of slackwater

#55 SailDaddy

SailDaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Sailing -doh, Outdoors, torturing my young children, Mt Biking<br />Shopping for a fast single hander so I can torture my children on the bay.

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

We were on Willow and had a great time. Getting past the bar was a bit rough but there was enough wind to keep us powered up so we weren't just rolling around. Got to the rock pile just as the sun came out and it was a site. Lots of big rollers that were pretty spectacular on the back side. I see Twist got some shots of us (38300) Managed to get the big girl surfing down a few waves on the way back. A few freighters came through after we past the pilot station that brought some real big breaking waves with them from the wake.
Did hear one of them complaining to the RC about having to honk at a racer twice. Sounded like it was happening at the south tower where nobody would have room to do anything anyway.

Frankly the wind was perfect strength and direction. The trip back was as good as any I've done and it was a drag race out. If you got out past Bonita OK ( The potato patch and south Channel were definately closed on that big ebb)then it was a sprint to the island. We started at 8:10 and were around and on the way back by 13:00.
Hope we do it again soon.

-Brian

#56 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

Pics of first to finish

Preliminary, ...

The preliminary results are up (but not obviously) for DHF. Go to DHF page and click on entries and keep going till you get to results if this link doesn't take you there! An email will be sent directly to racers with request for review and final instructions. http://www.sfbayrace...08766925r1.html How about some race reports? Mooretician said it was a great day on the ocean once past Bonita and the breakers
Cheers!
bob

#57 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:21 PM

Pics of first to finish

Preliminary, ...

The preliminary results are up (but not obviously) for DHF. Go to DHF page and click on entries and keep going till you get to results if this link doesn't take you there! An email will be sent directly to racers with request for review and final instructions. http://www.sfbayrace...08766925r1.html How about some race reports? Mooretician said it was a great day on the ocean once past Bonita and the breakers
Cheers!
bob

Nice writeup with pics in lectronic latitude
http://www.latitude3...ayid=409#Story4

#58 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here's the writeup from Tatiana and the anxiety of being Swiss

www.rothacher.us/sailing/DHF_2010.pdf

#59 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

[quote name='K38BOB' date='08 April 2010 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1270759806' post='2805158']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here's a movie and some stories from racers..
http://www.norcalsai.../201004DHF.html
direct link to stories

http://www.norcalsai...03/DHF/DHF.html
http://www.norcalsai.../DHF/Nancy.html

#60 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

[quote name='K38BOB' date='09 April 2010 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1270851991' post='2806469']
[quote name='K38BOB' date='08 April 2010 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1270759806' post='2805158']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

direct link to stories

[/quote]

Here's Kimball's writeup http://kimballliving...nded-farallones

AND A TIP OF THE HAT

To Bill Quigley, for building a fast Farrier-designed trimaran, Tatiana, and to the two men who brought it home first in the Doublehanded Farallones Race, sailed out of the Golden Gate over the weekend—the same waters where the Clipper Round the World race boats are completing their long journey from China. The start was slow, but the ocean was serious. There's a channel leading out to the left, and that's the San Francisco Bar—aka the Potato Patch Shoal—breaking in the background. If I had been patient, I could have caught bigger breakers.

The channel and the bar, the race outbound; photo KL
Attached File  DHF2010_bar.jpg   149.54K   12 downloads

The Doublehanded Farallones is 58 miles plus tacks. Tatiana made the outbound and return in about 6.5 hours.

In an email, regular Tatiana crew Urs Rothacher explains–

Unfortunately, Bill could not make the DHF, so Pieter Versavel, who usually sails Musto Skiffs, crewed with me. The conditions somewhat favored multis (except for the sea state which was beyond ugly). We had a fat layline on the way out and an almost perfect screecher angle on the return. So yeah, a Swiss won, in more than 1m of waves and 10kn of wind; on a trimaran Posted Image
Urs Rothacher

Quigley's boat is self-built, with some help, and I like how he quotes John Guzzwell (Trekka Round the World), "It is when you are riding out your first gale in a boat you have built yourself that you wonder about some of the doubtful workmanship that went into her."

And I'll quote Bill Quigley himself: "The worst reason for building a boat is to save money."

At the skippers' meeting the week before—the race is run by the Bay Area Multihull Association—Clifford Shaw was awarded US Sailing's Arthur B. Hansom honors for his rescue of two sailors in the 2008 version of the race. Luc de Faymoreau and Disun Den Daas aboard the former's Olson 40, Pterodactyl, were swept off the boat by what they described as a "freak wave." Shaw, who was shadowing the race on his Crowther 36, Rainbow, saw the Olson begin to act erratically and went to investigate, pulling the two men aboard in 15-foot seas.

I reckon that may have been less automatic than I just made it sound.

#61 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:52 AM

Update from BAMA>>
Hello Everyone!

Thanks for your participation in DHF 2010! As you know, we had some difficulty tracking down the perpetual trophies from last year. Well, we have finally found all of the perpetuals. We are all set to present the 2010 DHF Race trophies.

As it turns out, the SSS has scheduled their SHF race skipper's meeting on Wednesday, May 12'th, at the Oakland Yacht Club and has agreed to let us present our trophies at the end of their meeting. We don't know when their meeting will end and our presentation will start, but please show up by 8:30. Their meeting starts at 7:30. If you arrive after that, please arrive quietly. Better yet, arrive early, grab a beverage from the bar, chat with your friends until the SSS meeting starts, and see how the SSS runs their meetings.

As a reminder, the results have been posted here: http://www.jibeset.n...08766925r1.html

And a big thanks to all of the people who helped run the race this year and the racers. The race would not happen without the support of club members or the participants.

DHF 2010 Race Comm.
BAMA Doublehanded Farallones Race

[quote name='K38BOB' date='10 April 2010 - 01:44 PM' timestamp='1270932269' post='2807130']
[quote name='K38BOB' date='09 April 2010 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1270851991' post='2806469']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

direct link to stories

[/quote]

Here's Kimball's writeup http://kimballliving...nded-farallones

AND A TIP OF THE HAT

To Bill Quigley, for building a fast Farrier-designed trimaran, Tatiana, and to the two men who brought it home first in the Doublehanded Farallones Race, sailed out of the Golden Gate over the weekend—the same waters where the Clipper Round the World race boats are completing their long journey from China. The start was slow, but the ocean was serious. There's a channel leading out to the left, and that's the San Francisco Bar—aka the Potato Patch Shoal—breaking in the background. If I had been patient, I could have caught bigger breakers.

The channel and the bar, the race outbound; photo KL
Attached File  DHF2010_bar.jpg   149.54K   12 downloads

The Doublehanded Farallones is 58 miles plus tacks. Tatiana made the outbound and return in about 6.5 hours.

In an email, regular Tatiana crew Urs Rothacher explains–

Unfortunately, Bill could not make the DHF, so Pieter Versavel, who usually sails Musto Skiffs, crewed with me. The conditions somewhat favored multis (except for the sea state which was beyond ugly). We had a fat layline on the way out and an almost perfect screecher angle on the return. So yeah, a Swiss won, in more than 1m of waves and 10kn of wind; on a trimaran Posted Image
Urs Rothacher

Quigley's boat is self-built, with some help, and I like how he quotes John Guzzwell (Trekka Round the World), "It is when you are riding out your first gale in a boat you have built yourself that you wonder about some of the doubtful workmanship that went into her."

And I'll quote Bill Quigley himself: "The worst reason for building a boat is to save money."

At the skippers' meeting the week before—the race is run by the Bay Area Multihull Association—Clifford Shaw was awarded US Sailing's Arthur B. Hansom honors for his rescue of two sailors in the 2008 version of the race. Luc de Faymoreau and Disun Den Daas aboard the former's Olson 40, Pterodactyl, were swept off the boat by what they described as a "freak wave." Shaw, who was shadowing the race on his Crowther 36, Rainbow, saw the Olson begin to act erratically and went to investigate, pulling the two men aboard in 15-foot seas.

I reckon that may have been less automatic than I just made it sound.

[/quote]

#62 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Singlehanded Farallones & Entry Deadlines
May 21, 2010 – The Bay

Our Wednesday posting regarding this weekend's Singlehanded Farallones Race got some feedback, specifically with regard to the the quote from Coast Guard LCDR DesaRae Janszen that "singlehanded races to the Farallones are one of the most dangerous races on the West Coast."

SSS Race Chair Emeritus Max Crittenden wrote to point out that the SSS's safety record is unblemished. We forwarded Max's email to LCDR Janszen, who acknowledged that point, and also made a very good case for her point. Here's her summation:

"The Coast Guard's heart and soul is protecting life at sea," she wrote. "As far as my records show, we have never had a fatality in your race, but that does NOT mean it is not inherently dangerous. I salute you and your racers for being the quality of sailors that can handle a very challenging race without losing anyone. So please don't take offense to me calling your race dangerous — it is, but thank goodness you do it well."

We here at Latitude 38 have a very convivial workplace, but that doesn't mean we always agree on everything. When dicussing whether it was an inconvenience to have sign up for a race 10 days ahead of time, this Racing Editor and Editor LaDonna Bubak found they have different opinions. Editor Bubak made a good point that a lot of people wait to enter races until they have a better idea of what the weather will be. Your Racing Editor countered that racers could always drop out later and get a refund if organizing authorities were willing to make that concession. Editor Bubak posed the question, "What sense does it make to amend a float plan after it's been submitted? Why not just wait until closer to the race date and submit the final list?" It's a tough point to argue, and we'd really like to know what you think. Does having to enter 10 days before an ocean race make a big difference to you?

#63 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

It's blowing a bazzilian down here in Santa Cruz, hope everyone is having fun out there.

#64 4th place

4th place

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:52 PM

It's been 10kts at the rocks, 25+ at the GGYC. http://norcalsailing.com/ has been posting updates.

#65 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

32nd DHF forum- April 9 is fast approaching

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users