eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,511 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

good video presentation at

http://www.extreme30...n&pg=conception

for those of us who occasionally like to back our C$110,00 trailerable sport cats into 40' containers and then ship them to the med. for some sport cruising???

or if you've been holding back on getting an extreme40 due to the lack of berths

wonder how it would do against an f32R

#3 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Interests:Fast Cars-Fast Boats-Fast Woman and Beer

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

Like to see 20ft beam(I'm a beam man) but otherwise nice.....what price Aud...?

#4 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,511 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

presumably about A$150, 000? after shipping and taxes...

what will nacra australia make you an R36 for again?

about the same isn't it and i don't think you get berths

#5 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

Looks pretty cool to me. Aluminum beams and mast is a drag, but to hit 100k, that's the penalty I guess. Sign me up for one...as soon as the first one is built.

#6 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:48 AM

Good concept, good pricing.... hope to see one sailing soon.......... and right here in little ole Canada!:)

#7 REW

REW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

Did anyone see an estimated weight on the site? Does look interesting and I think to take off they will have to hit their price targets. Then maybe after the economy recovers they can tweak it up with some carbon bits (beams, spar, boom) which might add 25K to the price.

The lightspeed was a great boat but priced istself out of the market out of the gate. With multihulls the key is getting boats on the water racing in sufficient numbers to make it interesting. Ultra high performance will ultimately follow but not in sufficient numbers to build a business plan around....at least not yet.

I hope they succeed.....and I am glad to see that it doesn't have a 14 foot beam.

rew

#8 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

Hello
First, sorry for my bad english and thank you for the good comments on the toro34. We are very excited to produce several TORO34 as soon as possible!

My name is Sylvain Carignan and I'm part of the design team for the TORO34

About the beams and aluminium mast :
One goal of TORO34 is to produce a performance catamaran, but with a very efficient lowest cost possible. This objective leads us directly to the use of aluminum. In the current economic situation and in general we want to offer a catamaran offering outstanding performance for a very reasonable budget. We believe that this objective is achieved with an introductory price of $ 100,000 Cdn

Although the mast and beams are available in aluminum, we are currently working to provide an optional carbon mast.

As you can see, another goal is to produce a catamaran with large volume of buoyancy, in addition to security and push the limits of downwind sailing, this volume allows you to insert bed.

The concept of the trailer is very interesting too, we will file soon on youtube a video of the trailer and its mechanisms.
http://www.youtube.com/DesignCatamaran

stay in touch!</SPAN></SPAN>

#9 pitchpoledave

pitchpoledave

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:57 AM

Hi Sylvain,
Great to see you on the weekend at the Canadian F18 Nationals. Can you give us a status update on the project?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted Image

#10 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

The present is to inform you that the Toro34 is now in the final stages of the moulds manufacturing and production of the hulls should start shortly, delivery of the first production boat is schedule for July 2011. For your information Design Catamaran has made some changes to the rig in order to improve overall performances. As standard equipment the Toro34 will now be delivered with Carbon wing mast, Carbon boom as well as front and rear carbon crossbars. This change will improve performance and overall stiffness of the boat while reducing the overall weight. Please stay tune as more information will be coming your way as the production advances and we get closer to an official launch .

TORO 34 : fast facts

• The TORO 34 : fast, sporty and safe catamaran.
  • Raid boat.
  • 5 person's crew.
  • A catamaran that can be put together by 2 persons without motorize assistance (crane or other) in 4 hours.
  • Catamaran transportable by trailer or by container (40').
  • Sleeper berth for 4 persons.
  • Reasonable cost.
bye

Sylvain Carignan
Design Catamaran

Attached Files

#11 B30

B30

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

The present is to inform you that the Toro34 is now in the final stages of the moulds manufacturing and production of the hulls should start shortly, delivery of the first production boat is schedule for July 2011. For your information Design Catamaran has made some changes to the rig in order to improve overall performances. As standard equipment the Toro34 will now be delivered with Carbon wing mast, Carbon boom as well as front and rear carbon crossbars. This change will improve performance and overall stiffness of the boat while reducing the overall weight. Please stay tune as more information will be coming your way as the production advances and we get closer to an official launch .

TORO 34 : fast facts

• The TORO 34 : fast, sporty and safe catamaran.
  • Raid boat.
  • 5 person's crew.
  • A catamaran that can be put together by 2 persons without motorize assistance (crane or other) in 4 hours.
  • Catamaran transportable by trailer or by container (40').
  • Sleeper berth for 4 persons.
  • Reasonable cost.
bye

Sylvain Carignan
Design Catamaran

Good luck! I hope your project takes off. It is very similar to the Lightspeed 33, which I loved but unfortunately never made it into production. One issue they had was price. it was impossible to keep it under 250k, but was an all carbon build.

#12 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

Dude! Congrats. That's a big step.

What's the updated price?

#13 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:39 PM

I can give you the exact price at the official launch of Toro34.

We're almost ready ...
But I think you'll be very surprised at the sale price. We do a lot of effort to keep sales prices very affordable while offering a very high quality catamaran.

Bye

Sylvain

#14 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:49 PM

Toro's caracteristics!Attached File  TORO34specs_r3.jpg   283.51K   156 downloads

#15 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

Somes pics of the new toro34
Sylvain

Attached File  coque toro_1.JPG   78.19K   113 downloadsAttached File  coque toro_2.JPG   73.97K   110 downloadsAttached File  coque toro_3.JPG   58.06K   105 downloadsAttached File  coque toro_4.JPG   71.45K   96 downloadsAttached File  coque toro_5.JPG   67.1K   84 downloads

#16 ALL AT SEA

ALL AT SEA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:water, wind, gravity, keeping the wench happy.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:53 PM

look fwd to seeing one in aus to give the graingers etc a run!

#17 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

Any update?

#18 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
  • Interests:F-24II

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:59 PM

Sylvain

Attached File  coque toro_1.JPG   78.19K   113 downloadsAttached File  coque toro_2.JPG   73.97K   110 downloadsAttached File  coque toro_3.JPG   58.06K   105 downloadsAttached File  coque toro_4.JPG   71.45K   96 downloadsAttached File  coque toro_5.JPG   67.1K   84 downloads

Interesting plug construction. Anyone know what the black stuff applied over the foam is?

#19 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

Production of Toro # 1

A few words to update you on the production of Toro #1. The hulls are now in production and we expect delivery in a couple of weeks. Also the Mast, crossbars and Code 0 pole (all carbon) are now in production phase following the production of the manufacturing tools. The manufacturing tools are really of high quality .

You will now be able to follow the evolution of the manufacturing of the Toro 34 #1 on our web site with a series of video that will be posted as the project evolves.www.designcatamaran.com

The Design Catamaran Team

Any update?

#20 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:23 AM

Thanks for the update. Looks great. Really cool project. Keep us posted.

#21 ddstarr

ddstarr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:boats

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:28 AM

Just been on the web site. Soooo sexy the new hulls !!! This boat is a blast. I wish i could see this boat in real. I continue selling my carrots to buy one. How much by the way ?

#22 Sextant

Sextant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and racing fast catamarans. Deep snow mountain snowmobiling and powder skiing

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

Just been on the web site. Soooo sexy the new hulls !!! This boat is a blast. I wish i could see this boat in real. I continue selling my carrots to buy one. How much by the way ?

The boat will be in the water in mid October we should have pictures then The introductory price is set at $160,000.00 canadian dollars ready to sail including the telescopic trailer to set the boat up and raise the mast witout external cranes or help

#23 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:42 AM

Hi Bhyde,
it is simply a layer of fiberglass is sanded and re-sanded for a perfect finish.You can see the video of manufacturing the plug of carbon mast ..

http://youtu.be/N0VFxwBrrOA

Sylvain

Interesting plug construction. Anyone know what the black stuff applied over the foam is?

#24 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

We are currently at the Salon Nautique de Paris to present our work on our catamaran: TORO34
You can Meet André Pilon at the following address:
andre.pilon @ designcatamaran.com
You can also see several videos of the progress of work on the Toro34 # 1 on our YouTube channel. The Toro34 # 2 will begin immediately after the completion of Toro34 # 1. Yeah!
Design Catamaran youtube channel
Enjoy! Before sailing :-)

Sylvain Carignan
Président-directeur général/
President & General Manager
Design Catamaran Inc.
217 Milot
Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada
G8T 7L8
cell: 819 692 5552
sylvain.carignan@designcatamaran.com
www.designcatamaran.com

Attached Files

#25 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:52 AM

Attached File  toro_assemble_1.jpg   238.21K   59 downloads

Hulls of the first boat almost finished! The result meet ourhighest expectations. The final assembly is to begin shortly.

Top quality Harken Hardware and Quantum MR 7300 sails.

We’ll have a fantastic boat to show in few weeks!

The design catamaran team.

Update vid!

#26 Lat 18

Lat 18

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

Attached File  toro_assemble_1.jpg   238.21K   59 downloads

Hulls of the first boat almost finished! The result meet ourhighest expectations. The final assembly is to begin shortly.

Top quality Harken Hardware and Quantum MR 7300 sails.

We'll have a fantastic boat to show in few weeks!

The design catamaran team.

Update vid!

Although "in few weeks" turned into about three months, they do finally have the first boat done. You can see pics at their website. Looks cool to me. Has anyone seen it upclose? They were supposed to be sailing this week. Any pics, report?

#27 SL33_SF

SL33_SF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

We'll have a fantastic boat to show in few weeks!

Sylvain,
are you coming to the Big Boat Series in San Francisco to race with us?
Great opportunity to show the Toro to the World!

#28 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,511 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

can't find the website

but tdid find this

http://www.voileenli...ment-du-toro-34

#29 green boat

green boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

look fwd to seeing one in aus to give the graingers etc a run!

Tony Grainger has had these designs out for many years, check his web site.
I believe the new price, made in Asia is far more attractive.
put this together with all the design and testing Tony has done,
as well as the investment into multi racing particularly in Aus
well you make the decision. :huh:

#30 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:07 AM

I like really the like the lines B), these pics are from their Facebook page....

Soon there should be sea trial information.....

I also really like T. Grainger designs, but this isn't his design. ;)

We have the Habs, and now the Toro 34. Cool, very cool.

http://www.facebook....21924615&type=3

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,511 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

very much a double-sized current F18

which is a turn about

as the granddaddy of the F18 was the nacra 5.2

which was very much a half sized 1972? R36.nacra

#32 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,545 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

How cool. Anyone want to partner up in San Francisco?

#33 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:23 AM

Well, shes launched, and sailing. with Mike Birch to do the honors.... well done ;)

"Latest news on the Toro34 project launch, christening and public unveiling

''From dream to paper to reality, on July 20th the Quebec base catamaran manufacturer Design Catamaran Inc. launched and christened the new Toro 34. During the Quebec / St-Malo Atlantic crossing regatta event in Quebec city The Toro 34 was revealed to the general public for the first time. For the occasion the recognised and well known skipper Mike Birch was present and did the honours of christening and autographing the Toro. (see attach photos). The Toro 34 is a high-tech, high performance catamaran with sleeping berths, that is road trailable and can be shipped world wide in a 40 feet container. Purpose built trailer allows mast to be stepped without any external help or cranes. The boat can be assemble in 3 to 4hours. The Toro 34 is aimed at specific markets on a national and International scene. Raids in a regatta form or family & friends get together, as a family week-ender and Sailing schools specially to address the high demand for training on new high-tech multihull in Europe and abroad.

While the Toro 34 no #1 is slated to be shipped to it's owner in the Caribbean in the next few weeks, Toro #2 is under construction and should be at the Paris boat show in December. Construction of Toro #3 should also start shortly. The company also has plans for a Toro34 RC a full racing carbon version.

For more information visit www.DesignCatamaran.com

André Pilon"

Attached Files

#34 Robnacra

Robnacra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, booze and boobs.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:11 AM

Any vids of it sailing poped up yet?

#35 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

HI Rob!
the vid come in the next few days!!!!
The boat is perfect! Fast, very fast!
The helm is light, precise and very responsive even in the gusts. We did 16 knots of boat speed going upwind in 18 knots of wind very easy without code zero. The next day, in light air, 8 knots of wind we did 12 knots of boat speed with the code0 out and 7 people onboard needless to say I and my partners were very happy with the results.

Attached Files

#36 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:52 AM

This picture is very good !
The vid will come in the next few day!

Sylvain

Attached Files

#37 munt

munt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

looks super cool. could you give the dimensions in feet and pounds? especially interested in beam, mast height and all up weight. any bunks inside?

#38 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:19 AM

Videos???

#39 Robnacra

Robnacra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

Numbers sound similar to the nacra 36c. It's all carbon though apart from the beams. Hope someone buys one down here in aus be great to see them line up! Great to see some high performance cats being produced for the weekend warrior! There is a couple of vids from on board the toro floating around but they don't show much. Can't wait to see some video of it being pushed in a breeze and making use of all that volume!

#40 Lat 18

Lat 18

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

looks super cool. could you give the dimensions in feet and pounds? especially interested in beam, mast height and all up weight. any bunks inside?

Go to their website. It's all there.

#41 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Yo!
you can see a new video directly on our website...

http://www.designcat.../page.asp?lg=en

or we have this one too
http://youtu.be/fqzawKdtAic

The boat reach easy at 16-18 kn with the jib in 15/16kn of wind and wave around 1m....

We touch the 20kn of speed in 15kn of wind with the code zero...easy easy going...

Now we wait to have 20to25kn of wind to make a speed record with the code zero...but i think it will be very easy and i hope to be very happy with the final speed :-)
bye
Sly

#42 Veeger

Veeger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

They arrive!
They sail!
They're cool!
They fail to sell!
They slip into the dustbin of good intentions and nice ideas!
Did I say that they don't sell?

(see Lightspeed 32, Marstrom, et al)

#43 SL33_SF

SL33_SF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

They arrive!
They sail!
They're cool!
They fail to sell!

They provide the sailors with heaps of fun!
They let the sailors learn a lot about sailing (and physics)!
They are not for everybody! So what?

By the way: this type of cats sells pretty well outside North America.
But if you bring up your kids sailing 420's without spinnaker and trapeze (or even worse 'dinghy' contraptions), what do you expect to happen?

#44 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

They arrive!
They sail!
They're cool!
They fail to sell!

Oh Veeger!
I think I don't take you in my team! :-)
Not really optimistic on forum dedicated to multihull!
But, i am at least partly agree with you: sales SL33 catamaran type or Toro or lightspeed have not yet reached their peak ...
Time will tell if the number of multihull sailor increase ... But I am betting that this number will increase!

There is still much work to promote our sport and our boats ... but one thing is certain: each person who came to do a ride on the Toro navigate with smile on lips and leave very happy!
These multihulls are true happiness machine ;-)
Sly

#45 Lat 18

Lat 18

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

They arrive!
They sail!
They're cool!
They fail to sell!

Oh Veeger!
I think I don't take you in my team! :-)
Not really optimistic on forum dedicated to multihull!
But, i am at least partly agree with you: sales SL33 catamaran type or Toro or lightspeed have not yet reached their peak ...
Time will tell if the number of multihull sailor increase ... But I am betting that this number will increase!

There is still much work to promote our sport and our boats ... but one thing is certain: each person who came to do a ride on the Toro navigate with smile on lips and leave very happy!
These multihulls are true happiness machine ;-)
Sly

Sly,
I think I read that the 1st boat is going to the Caribbean. Can you tell me which island? I'll look for it. Would love to see it.

#46 Veeger

Veeger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

Guys! Don't get me wrong! I love em and they are big enough and powerful enough to provide some real fine sailing! I'd like to see a 32-36 sport cruiser along the same lines and I might even pay $250k for one so I'm not really knocking 'em. Mostly, I am amazed at the many attempts to capture this segment of the market. It takes bigger ballz and a crapload of money to develop them and try to market them. Maybe they come from a few well heeled guys that are willing to spend the big bucks for that kind of sailing for themselves and kinda hope that they could, might, maybe, eventually, somewhat recover some of their investment. It just hasn't seemed to work out yet for any of them and more's the pity!

#47 pitchpoledave

pitchpoledave

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:00 AM

Yo!
you can see a new video directly on our website...

http://www.designcat.../page.asp?lg=en

or we have this one too

The boat reach easy at 16-18 kn with the jib in 15/16kn of wind and wave around 1m....

We touch the 20kn of speed in 15kn of wind with the code zero...easy easy going...

Now we wait to have 20to25kn of wind to make a speed record with the code zero...but i think it will be very easy and i hope to be very happy with the final speed :-)
bye
Sly

Looks fantastic.. great quality. You should bring it to the great lakes to some events.. Lake Ontario 300 for eg. Chi-Mac..etc.

Is there a usable interior? Pics of the interior?

#48 macca

macca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:41 AM

Guys! Don't get me wrong! I love em and they are big enough and powerful enough to provide some real fine sailing! I'd like to see a 32-36 sport cruiser along the same lines and I might even pay $250k for one so I'm not really knocking 'em. Mostly, I am amazed at the many attempts to capture this segment of the market. It takes bigger ballz and a crapload of money to develop them and try to market them. Maybe they come from a few well heeled guys that are willing to spend the big bucks for that kind of sailing for themselves and kinda hope that they could, might, maybe, eventually, somewhat recover some of their investment. It just hasn't seemed to work out yet for any of them and more's the pity!

There is certainly a big gap in the market for a 10m race boat and the world is really moving in this direction, but the only way for such a class to emerge in any numbers is to have a race series integrated into the offering from the start. Without that there is little justification to buy an orphan boat. Its like having a GT3 RS but no race track and no races.... cool toy but you will struggle to find many buyers without a reason to go racing.

#49 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,511 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

10mtr katipo cat

coming along in nz too

Posted Image

http://www.lloydstev...ge/build/#item9

#50 Robnacra

Robnacra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

Katipo looks good is there more info on it somewhere?

#51 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

http://www.lloydstev....nz/page/build/

#52 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,511 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

think the 1st katipo will be doing a coastal race oct19th as "ninja"

auckland to russell

http://www.coastalcl...o.nz/race-docs/

http://www.coastalcl...f_handicaps.pdf

so if it doesn't break we'll get a good idea of it's potential

#53 Sextant

Sextant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and racing fast catamarans. Deep snow mountain snowmobiling and powder skiing

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:35 AM

And for those that did not believe or thought this project would not sell or go anywhere Think again. follow this link this is a pretty big announcement

http://www.designcat...-12-07(eng).pdf

#54 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,511 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

^

good for them getting some big sport multis into japan

there are zero at the moment

only a very few multis of any description bigger than beach cats

a few lagoon type crusiers and a couple of old farriers seems about it

http://www.eonet.ne....24torimaran.htm

#55 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

A cruising boat distributor in...Japan? I'm confused.

#56 vmg

vmg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

A dealer has been appointed in a country that has very few boats of this type.
Why is this a big announcement?
Don't rush out and spend the money yet

And for those that did not believe or thought this project would not sell or go anywhere Think again. follow this link this is a pretty big announcement

#57 Sextant

Sextant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

A dealer has been appointed in a country that has very few boats of this type.
Why is this a big announcement?
Don't rush out and spend the money yet

The point being is that they now have a distributor and presence with demo capabilities in Asia and are much closer to Australia and NZ. Plus becuase of the ACWS and and AC72 Cup there is a lot more interest from China and having a foot hold in Japan puts them in a much better position to promote and sell more boats. That is the big deal.about this announcemnt. Being in business myself I understand why they are excetied. China, Japan, Vietnam big markets

#58 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,545 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Japan might be a big market. Would be great if someone cracked it. However, don't fool yourself thinking that if you're in Japan, you're "closer" to ANZ, or even China. You need to be right there, in those markets. Very little in common across those markets.

#59 Sextant

Sextant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

I Agree with you 100% However being closer to those markets provides certain advantages in terms of distance i.e boat inventory, delivery, parts etc. certainly can't hurt

#60 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,511 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

tokyo based presumably?

the americas cup's embrace of multis seems to have been the "official" blessing that the japanese need to legitimize interest in a sub-section of a foreign sport

the next challenge is access to; water, storage and maintenance facilities, parking and people

which city - marina is the importer based?

enoshima, as the sailing venue for the 1968 olympics seems to be the most popular

Posted Image

but nearby hayama and zushi probably have more cashed up members

Posted Image

http://www.riviera-r.jp/zushi-marina/english/harbor/

#61 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Japan might be a big market. Would be great if someone cracked it. However, don't fool yourself thinking that if you're in Japan, you're "closer" to ANZ, or even China. You need to be right there, in those markets. Very little in common across those markets.

+1

Is North America going to be serviced from Canada, or is a US distributor going to be signed?

#62 Sextant

Sextant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Both depending on location

#63 Seacart

Seacart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

going where Lightspeed tried. hope this one works out better

#64 Sextant

Sextant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:56 AM

going where Lightspeed tried. hope this one works out better

Why are you so negative different times and markets

#65 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:19 AM

I see a Toro 34 is entered in Heineken. I look forward to seeing it in action.

#66 Sextant

Sextant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

I see a Toro 34 is entered in Heineken. I look forward to seeing it in action.

Unfortunately the boat was sold, production is working as fast as it can to get boats out but due to sales commitment, no demo boat will be available until mid or end of May 2013 so we will not be able to attend the Heineken event. Needless to say we are very disappointed but customers come first.

#67 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

So the buyer of hull #1 isnt racing?

#68 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,511 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

^
perhaps boat 1 is going to japan...

#69 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

A lot of good news for Design Catamaran!! We will be exhibiting at the multihull Grande Motte (France) with our new distributor IAG Marine ... The bad news is that it will be difficult to get a Toro at our disposal for our pleasure! Sales are excellent and the list of people interested growing :-) The other good news is that the Toro is now certified CE category B! yeah! bye Sly

Attached Files

#70 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

The TORO34 did well at Les Voiles de St-Barth last week. After the Heineken regatta, where the results were not famous but where we saw the boat was doing well regarding the fleet, we decided to push it again. New friends met in St-Martin and Le Carré Lounge, our sponsor from St-Barth, made it possible and we were more than happy to fly back to the Carribeans to race an other time. Before this winter, the TORO34 hadn't compete in major regatta and we were eager to confirm is potential... or not. Our new friends were in the mood to push the boat hard so it was a good occasion to do so.

At first we had to do some minor repairs since we faced serious conditions at the Heineken Regatta. We were not the only one to break a thing or two there if I remember some post here on SA. Fortunatly it was not major and we did it the two days before Les Voiles de St-Barth along with a little sailing session so our new team mates could familiarized themselves with the boat.

The first race was in light air and we finished 4th in corrected time, behind the Seacart26 of Calle Hennix, the Gunboat62 Elvis and a KL28. We were a bit disapointed to not to be on the podium since we were close to it but were determined to push harder the next day. The second race was high in emotions since we finished 2nd but were finally disqualified because we missed a buoy. The wind was stronger for Race 3 and we hoped it was to help us, since the TORO34 can do well in those conditions. We were not disapointed and we finished 2nd, one minute behind the Seacart. And no disqualification this time. Weather conditions were the same for Race 4 and again this was good for us as we finished 1st. At last. In the end we finish on the podium, in 3rd place, after a very exciting week. And we are very happy with the TORO, knowing now it can race against other very good designs with no fear and can be pushed hard in big seas with confidence.

Sylvain

Attached Files

#71 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Interests:sailing, backpacking

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

Very cool!

#72 sylvain.carignan

sylvain.carignan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

The racing crew of Mr.Kametani. the owner of the TORO34 shipped to Japan, hit 30 knots many times with their TORO34 "Mil Grace". They will enter their first regatta there in a couple of weeks. The team's home port is Seabornia Marina in Sagami Bay.

Credit :

movie / Kazi magazine JAPAN

article / Kazi magazine JAPAN

photo / Yoichi Yabe

video :

http://youtu.be/BPhzJZOGSwA

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users