15 replies to this topic

#1 SA Lurker

SA Lurker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

We like the M32 black mesh bags with winch handle holders on the Melges 32 (don't know who makes 'em and the melges.com site doesn't list them for sale).

Suggestions for others?

#2 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,820 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

Custom Marine Canvas.

linky

#3 J109Guy

J109Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, girls, sailing with girls.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:09 AM

We've used the Blue Performance bads for over two season now and they hold up very well. And keep our beers upright as well as keeping the lines organized.

LINKY

Z

#4 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

We've used the Blue Performance bads for over two season now and they hold up very well. And keep our beers upright as well as keeping the lines organized.

LINKY

Z

I have been using Blue Performance as well. Like their design, and the fabric is reasonably decent. But the stiching is pretty poor... needs to be heavier weight since I have had any number of seams pulled. And the top nylon loops that hold the bag onto the clips pulls free... needs to be reinforced.

I actually was having a conversation with Katie, from the Custom Marine Canvas link above, about deck bags the other day when she stiched up one of my Blue Performance bags. She reckons you can get the same performance with better longevity and lower weight. When I finally wear mine out, I will give her a shot to see what she can come up with.

The lads on Cutlass had Goertz make them up bags. At least I think it was Goertz. They were really good bags.

#5 barefoot children

barefoot children

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Interests:Carbon boats and carbon golf clubs

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

LINKY

Z

After one year in Charleston sun my Blue performance sheetbags/winch handle holders turned to crap they're falling apart, very dis-satisifed.
I don't think you should have to dismount then and store below to keep out of the sun!

#6 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,820 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

LINKY

Z

I have been using Blue Performance as well. Like their design, and the fabric is reasonably decent. But the stiching is pretty poor... needs to be heavier weight since I have had any number of seams pulled. And the top nylon loops that hold the bag onto the clips pulls free... needs to be reinforced.

I actually was having a conversation with Katie, from the Custom Marine Canvas link above, about deck bags the other day when she stiched up one of my Blue Performance bags. She reckons you can get the same performance with better longevity and lower weight. When I finally wear mine out, I will give her a shot to see what she can come up with.

The lads on Cutlass had Goertz make them up bags. At least I think it was Goertz. They were really good bags.

We got 7 years out of our last set of CMC bags, just replaced them this January.

#7 Jon

Jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

LINKY

Z

+1 on problems with Blue Performance. This weekend I was trying to reattach the elastic loops and restitch the leather pieces that hold them to the bag. Nice idea, not very well executed.

#8 AUS

AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

http://www.ronstan.u...ge.asp?RnID=264

#9 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

Blue performance. Haven't used any others, but have had no need to.

#10 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Apart from sailing? Photography, Camping & Skiing.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:54 PM

Perhaps not exactaly what you're looking for but the bags that come standard on the J/122 are super nice

Posted Image

*Pic stolen from the Otra Vez team site

#11 Anonymous Anarchist

Anonymous Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

Home made bags make the most sense to me. Vinyl mesh is easily found, the stitching is trivial, and you can have 4 instead of 1 so the crew has a spot for their own stash.

Regards
aa

#12 tweisleder

tweisleder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

We like the M32 black mesh bags with winch handle holders on the Melges 32 (don't know who makes 'em and the melges.com site doesn't list them for sale).

Suggestions for others?

Call Henry at Layline on Monday he can get you square with a couple of different options.

#13 barefoot children

barefoot children

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Interests:Carbon boats and carbon golf clubs

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

After less than 1 year my Blue performance sheet bags turned to shit, tears in lining, badly frayed elastic, failed elastic on front pocket,torn out top loop as seen in photos. I even put some sail repair sticky back on line, but it failed next to it.

Attached File  DSC00192.JPG   204.16K   19 downloads Attached File  DSC00193.JPG   250.17K   20 downloads Attached File  DSC00194.JPG   269.86K   15 downloads

#14 freakIRL

freakIRL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

Fitting out a JOD 35 for last year's OSTAR, we used Gaastra Bags, two in the cockpit at the companionway entrance and two on the coach roof aft port and stbd. Sticky back velcro attachment. Two in the cockpit worked perfectly for two transatlantics. Two on the coachroof are sleeping with north atlantic cod having been ripped away during the race. Bad plan. Replaced in Newport with a pair of bags bought from the local West shop and screwed into place. All good for return voyage, now ready for Round Ireland double-handed in eight days.

#15 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

Depending on where you are, Phyllis with Acadia Sails in Southwest Harbor made ours, plus lots of other custom canvas work. Beautiful work at a fair price.

#16 Downtown

Downtown

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Suggestions for others?

North Sails in Annapolis has a canvas department that will make them custom for you. You pick size, color, how much canvas to mesh you want, etc. Well worth the cost. They do not have beer holders, but the beer is supposed to be in your hand, not the sheet bags.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users