• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Peelman

Peelman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,120 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list and to save post space.........

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

Pretty cool news
http://www.alinghi.c...idContent=22608

Alinghi's America's Cup sails are to be shipped to Haiti for use as tents by the victims of January's earthquake. Spanish daily, El Mundo, reported that the shipment, which also includes 65 boxes of Alinghi team clothing, leaves today from Madrid airport as part of a wider Messengers of Peace charity arrangement.

The Alinghi carbon-fibre sails are strong, light and waterproof and will be re-cut and made in to tents at the camps through an on-site work programme. With hundreds of thousands still living in the island's temporary camps, the resulting 1,000 shelters will be shared as widely and equally as possible among survivors.

Newspaper article -

http://www.elmundo.e...1274113314.html

#2 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:19 PM

Ernesto ... if this is true ... good on yer!

Well done!

#3 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

Ernesto ... if this is true ... good on yer!

Well done!

Seems good in theory. Can't help but wonder if they couldn't be sold to be recut as sails and then donate the money to be spent on tents or whatever they needed.

#4 Tom O'Keefe

Tom O'Keefe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • Interests:Custom Plastic Injection Molding
    Hendo 30 Power Point
    Mac Gregor 65' Lean Machine
    Spencer 65' Rag Time
    SC 50 Horizon
    R/P 68' Tax Dancer
    R/P 86' Pyewacket

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Whatever, they would be "recut" for would have to be awfully close to a 90' foot turbo something. Remember all the sails are 3DL or 3DI so their continuous fiber load path orientation. Now on the down side to the tent idea, these are going to be really hot & humid tents in the tropical sun.

#5 DEAD MONEY

DEAD MONEY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:14 AM

So I guess the "lake boat" is gonna be thrown away as it will be pretty worthless without the $1 Million in Sails that are being turned into tents. Sorry but it sounds like a spoof as in it doesn't make any sense to me. Sell the boat AND the sails than donate to the Hatians or any other charity makes more fiscal sense.

#6 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:20 AM

This is just silly. There's no way the load paths are going to line up properly on those tents.

Now for the real question... Are those tents made in USA, Switzerland, or Haiti?!?

#7 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Sorry but it sounds like a spoof as in it doesn't make any sense to me.

Have to agree. This is absurd. The Haitians would get a lot more shelter if Alinghi would take the money they would spend on freight and re-manufacturing and just buy tents in Haiti!

When I see this, I think of: "The peasants have no bread." "Then let them eat cake."

#8 Teal67

Teal67

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

I honestly don't know that much about the 3DL fabric, but I was under the impression that the material was somewhat susceptible to damage from ultra-violet light. Wouldn't long term exposure of the sails to the tropical Haitian sun basically reduce the tents to shreds?

#9 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

Sorry but it sounds like a spoof as in it doesn't make any sense to me.

Have to agree. This is absurd. The Haitians would get a lot more shelter if Alinghi would take the money they would spend on freight and re-manufacturing and just buy tents in Haiti!

When I see this, I think of: "The peasants have no bread." "Then let them eat cake."

The material probably is better than normal tent material, but:

Maybe there is a constructed-in-Switzerland tax break for doing it?

They also don't say which AC sails these are; CZ didn't have that big a wardrobe, so maybe it is older V5 sails? I hope so, or else it could suggest CZ won't sail again with that size a rig.

#10 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:37 PM

Guess I'm just too much of a curmudgeon. Kimball Livingston has picked this up and it is legit... One Thousand Roofs

#11 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:52 AM

Cut the cynicism, it doesn't suit you. Haiti relief charities for anyone interested.

#12 Jackt

Jackt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:51 AM

If I recall just after the Haiti disarster there was an artical on Alighi's website stating the sails were old V5 sails and the clothing was old stuff from the AC32 plus what was gifted by the team members .....so it wuold be good if you didnt streeeech the facts

#13 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

Cut the cynicism, it doesn't suit you. Haiti relief charities for anyone interested.

Was just responding light-heartedly to maybe the best post so far

This is just silly. There's no way the load paths are going to line up properly on those tents.

Now for the real question... Are those tents made in USA, Switzerland, or Haiti?!?

Yes, obviously it is a decent cause. The effort was prominent in Valencia during AC 33 too.

#14 Magilla Gorilla

Magilla Gorilla

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

I wonder if the Swiss tax office gets told there's about 200 million Euro's worth of sails being sent to Haiti???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users