• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tampa Nacra 20

Tampa Nacra 20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:58 AM

Ever wondered what would happen if you cross a H16 with a getaway, I got the idea when I saw a cheap getaway on craigslist, first I was just going to get a larger main, but then Chip at whirlwindsails had the idea if I add a 16 boom to the stock mast I could increase the sail area more, as the boom protrudes 18 " aft of the rear beam where the stock sail ends. While I am waiting for the new main and jib I found a good deal on a used H16 spinnaker and snuffer from Key sailing, It's an unusual idea but I was looking for something I could take kids on and still have it be fun,durable and low maintance. I'm all in at 6k

Attached Files

#2 hobie17li

hobie17li

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

i'd be interested in the spinnaker set up. I also have a getaway that i
usually sail alone. looks like fun, doug

#3 krash

krash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

This will be interesting. From my experience the Getaway has a terminal velocity of 17 knots. As it gets going, it sucks down in the water like an IOR pig. At 17 knots the front beam/tramp go under, it all comes to flying halt and does it's best to pitchpole...

I suppose you'll get some theoretical lift from the spin, but you'll find out soon enough

#4 Surf City Racing

Surf City Racing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

This will be interesting. From my experience the Getaway has a terminal velocity of 17 knots. As it gets going, it sucks down in the water like an IOR pig. At 17 knots the front beam/tramp go under, it all comes to flying halt and does it's best to pitchpole...

I suppose you'll get some theoretical lift from the spin, but you'll find out soon enough

Krash is on to something, they weren't really built for that. They were built to throw a bunch of kids on board, go pretty fast, be stable, and be maintenance free. Spins do provide lift at the bows though...up to a point. We've turbo'd a few, and taken them out in all kinds of conditions. It's a pretty fun family cruising boat. Sounds like a fun project, the spin sheets will give something for the kids to hang on to.

Posted Image

#5 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

Jeremy,

that pole looks bent in the uhhh... wrong direction :P

#6 Chocko

Chocko

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical engineering, Structural materials, fast women & slow race boats.....

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:01 AM

Now there is a getaway, I like it!!!!!!

#7 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:28 AM

Ever wondered what would happen if you cross a H16 with a getaway, I got the idea when I saw a cheap getaway on craigslist, first I was just going to get a larger main, but then Chip at whirlwindsails had the idea if I add a 16 boom to the stock mast I could increase the sail area more, as the boom protrudes 18 " aft of the rear beam where the stock sail ends. While I am waiting for the new main and jib I found a good deal on a used H16 spinnaker and snuffer from Key sailing, It's an unusual idea but I was looking for something I could take kids on and still have it be fun,durable and low maintance. I'm all in at 6k

Which main did you get? I have an X2 (for H16) and a buddy has a Super R - both work very well. I also had Chip make me a Hobie16 euro spin.

#8 Tampa Nacra 20

Tampa Nacra 20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:20 AM

Which main did you get? I have an X2 (for H16) and a buddy has a Super R - both work very well. I also had Chip make me a Hobie16 euro spin.

It's the super R, I'll post some pics when the sails arrive.Attached File  photo.jpg   109.99K   26 downloads

#9 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

It's the super R, I'll post some pics when the sails arrive.Attached File  photo.jpg   109.99K   26 downloads

Here's one (not mine)-

Attached Files

#10 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

And here's my X2 dacron main, and the H16 spinnaker-

Attached Files

#11 luff tension

luff tension

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:38 AM

There is a windsurfing and sailing school in Auckland that has a Getaway with a Hobie 16 size carbon mast sporting a big-ass squaretop mainsail, oversize jib and a furling screecher. Its awesme to sail in 30 knots and it is surprising how hard it can be pushed before the shit hits the fan.
The same school also has a foily moth and a pair of identical Paper tiger cats both with carbon masts and 10.4sqm squaretop mainsails. The PTs are soon to be getting furling screechers to make them go quicker downwind!

meltemibeachcats.co.nz

#12 Tampa Nacra 20

Tampa Nacra 20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

Looks as though Hobie has decided to sell theyre own spin kit for the getaway according to the new catalog, the part # is the same for both the H16 and Getaway, seems to be the same.

http://www.hobiecat....ail_2010-11.pdf

#13 Surf City Racing

Surf City Racing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

Looks as though Hobie has decided to sell theyre own spin kit for the getaway according to the new catalog, the part # is the same for both the H16 and Getaway, seems to be the same.

http://www.hobiecat....ail_2010-11.pdf

It's the same as the 16 spin kit with a few modifications.

#14 nO0b

nO0b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

Wouldn't a used Tiger with wings and some kind of kid-friendly forward trampoline be an easier project? Pretty much the same cash by the end of it, I would guess... :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users