kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

WLYDO,

I am looking to purchase a new diesel saildrive for a boat building project.

I am looking at 30-50 hp Volvos and Yanmars. The purchase will be through a established boat builder so we should be able to score an OEM price.
This boat builder has never purchased a saildrive before so doesn't have a ready source.

Anyone have a recommendation for the best OEM price on a new unit?

Cheers!

Kim

Attached Files

#2 Zonker

Zonker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

Yeah. Don't buy a Volvo engine. Might be cheaper initially (was when I was involved in sourcing engines) but they kill you on parts costs.

Yanmar has very strict territory limitations so you might only have a few dealers to choose from. I see you are from PNW so maybe somewhere more tax friendly like Portland if you take delivery there?

#3 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

Yeah. Don't buy a Volvo engine. Might be cheaper initially (was when I was involved in sourcing engines) but they kill you on parts costs.

Yanmar has very strict territory limitations so you might only have a few dealers to choose from. I see you are from PNW so maybe somewhere more tax friendly like Portland if you take delivery there?

Not really. If he goes through the builder, there's no tax to the builder anyway - they're purchasing it for resale or inclusion in a completed product. kimb will still have to pay the tax on the engine, possibly just as part of the purchase of the boat depending on how the contract is written.

I agree with your assessment of parts costs for Volvo engines. There are plenty of Yanmar dealers around the area, I don't personally know of anything to recommend one over another.

#4 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

I just came across the Beta Marine saildrive option while looking on the Internet.

Anyone know anything about that unit and how it compares to the other brands?

Thanks,

Kim

Ps. Thanks for the Volvo comments, I had a Volvo in a previous vessel and it worked well, but I never had to purchase parts for it. Good to know of their pricing policies.

#5 NonSequitur

NonSequitur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:32 PM

Classy boat! Now you gotta tell us about it. What are your plans for it's use?

#6 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:35 AM

Classy boat! Now you gotta tell us about it. What are your plans for it's use?

She is a Bob Perry designed double ended day sailor, lots about her in the "Canoe Sterns" thread here in Cruising Anarchy:

http://forums.sailin...showtopic=78823

#7 DDW

DDW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:11 AM

It is commonly said that Volvo parts prices are higher than Yanmar. Before I made this same decision, I priced a sample of parts that one might likely have to replace - pumps, starter, exhaust elbows, saildrive leg, etc. I found the prices to be comparable between Yanmar and Volvo. What tipped the balance for me was the transmission: the Yanmar has a history of problems, don't know about the latest ones, maybe they have fixed them? The larger Volvo saildrives are built by ZF/Hurth and seem fairly robust by comparison.

#8 199.99

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:11 AM

WLYDO,

I am looking to purchase a new diesel saildrive for a boat building project.

I am looking at 30-50 hp Volvos and Yanmars. The purchase will be through a established boat builder so we should be able to score an OEM price.
This boat builder has never purchased a saildrive before so doesn't have a ready source.

Anyone have a recommendation for the best OEM price on a new unit?

Cheers!

Kim

I'd research the SD20, SD40, SD 50 corrosion issues likely from inferior alloy (the aluminum protects the zinc). Last I checked the Yanmar SD is not isolated from the engine, the Volvo is isolated. The Yanmar prop. is not isolated from the SD on the SD20 (probably the others) so the SD is protecting the alloy prop too. The SD40 had major clutch issues at very low hours. you'll find a number of people who had failures reversing at the dock and smashed their boats. I believe the cone clutch wears prematurely. Not sure about it's replacement the SD50. Several lawsuits against Yanmar. The SD20 oil must be changed every 100 hours and cannot be "sucked up" from the top (ie. you need to haul the boat every 100 hours to change the oil). Enginewise, Yanmar calls out for orange coolant yet their dealers are commissioning with green coolant. Whatever you do don't mix them. Yanmar wants a valve adjustment at 50 hours on the 3ym30. Lastly, I believe both C&C and J boats have both swarn off Yanmars because of the failures and the lack of support. Maybe Yanmar fixed their mess for new customers but they didn't fix mine. FYI:
Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:42 PM

public/style_images/master/snapback.pngPeter Johnstone, on Oct 22 2008, 03:36 PM, said:

The Yanmar SD40 drives suffer from slipping clutch cones after 300-400 hours of use, or a long layup. The result is a gear that does not shift into fwd or reverse. We have had 100% failure rates with this model on the Gunboats. We have since steered clear of all Yanmar saildrives, as the newer SD50 suffered similar problems.
Peter, have you had any similar issues with the newer Volvo saildrive? These are built by ZF/Hurth and have a mulit-disk wet clutch like their other trannies. Wondering because I spec'ed one 'cause of the bad rep of the Yanmars...

The patch of non-copper paint around the drive is an interesting solution - think I will try that.

#9 smokeless

smokeless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

What tipped the balance for me was the transmission: the Yanmar has a history of problems, don't know about the latest ones, maybe they have fixed them? The larger Volvo saildrives are built by ZF/Hurth and seem fairly robust by comparison.

Peter Johnstone, on Oct 22 2008, 03:36 PM, said:

The Yanmar SD40 drives suffer from slipping clutch cones after 300-400 hours of use, or a long layup. The result is a gear that does not shift into fwd or reverse.

Same problems here; SD40 with with 400 and change on the motor and two major bits of service done to the drive. Boat splashed two seasons ago so my guess is the problems remain. All service intervals followed correctly, not abused, etc.

No personal experience of any significant length of time with the newer Volvos.

#10 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

I just came across the Beta Marine saildrive option while looking on the Internet.

Beta Marine use Kubota blocks, as do Nanni (http://www.nannidiesel.com/). Both have a pretty good reputation here in the UK, AFAIAA. Thread about them both here: http://www.ybw.com/f...ad.php?t=237623

As always, check for local parts availability. Beta are based in the UK.

#11 CaptKen

CaptKen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

I have not had any problems with my Kubota based engine. Universal 23hp not a Beta. For the standard engine parts, I shop at Tractorsmart.com or visit the local Kubota dealer. Injectors through a marine outlet cost about twice as much as through a tractor dealer. Same holds true for most of the non marine specific parts. Kubota tractors are pretty much world wide, should not have problems finding parts where ever you end up.

#12 DDW

DDW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

Those are the sort of transmission problems that kept me away from the Yanmar. I have had a couple of their engines (in tractors) and they have worked fine. The Volvo D2-75 with S150 saildrive in my boat has 200 hours now with no problems whatsoever. That's not a lot of hours, but some Yanmars are breaking in less. The Volvo is electrically isolated from the saildrive and the transmission is the Hurth multidisk clutch type - while they don't recommend it as standard practice, full power shifts directly from forward to reverse are allowed. Don't do that with a Yanmar saildrive!

#13 NonSequitur

NonSequitur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

Damn, went away for a year and missed some cool stuff. Sweet boat! As to Kubota's, NS has a Universal (Kubota block) and have to agree, parts are easy to get, and working on them is really straight forward.

#14 caribcruiser

caribcruiser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, fishing, diving, sailing

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

I have had nothing but problems with volvo saildrives. They are complete crap in my eyes. They tend to have quite a bit of leakage problems that requires the transmission fluid to have to be changed on a far to regular basis (every 6 weeks).

I would only go with yanmar, and that is what we are only using in all of our new boats..

#15 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

I really like my Volvo sail drive. It has been a great piece of gear.

#16 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

Thanks,

Kim

Ps. Thanks for the Volvo comments, I had a Volvo in a previous vessel and it worked well, but I never had to purchase parts for it. Good to know of their pricing policies.

I have a betamarine 13.5 hp saildrive in one of my boats. Sweet. Maintenance is super easy, have not needed any parts (yet....) easy install

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users