• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:1 Design Racing
    Boat tinkering
    Siberian Huskies
    Camping

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

So I'm looking to swap my Thistle spinnaker sheets. It's a continuous line going from clew to clew. I was looking in the APS Rack and notice that stingray is ridiculously lite, floats/doesn't absorb water, super strong (more then I need that is), and won't kink. any catch? how is it to grip on to? my chute has ratchet blocks but no cleats (like all thistles I've seen). I did a search and didn't find anyone had talked about this line. Also... why is it in the rack and not in the line section? Is Paraloc discontinuing it, or APS just not selling enough to justify carrying it?

Thanks!

#2 wpbeardsley

wpbeardsley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

It's not in the 2010 APS catalog either -- I think Paraloc must be discontinuing it. I use it for my dinghy vang and apart from it being expensive overkill for what I use it for, it's also a bit slippery -- if you're tying bowlines onto the clew of the kite, it might not be the best choice. But I also use it in a smaller diameter than you would be (3-4mm).

#3 OBW

OBW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:44 AM

Paraloc is great stuff. Paraloc Marlin should be just fine for the job and about 1/2 the cost

#4 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

SO does anybody know if Paraloc Stingray is still available and if it is as good as Marlin in the kink free category??

#5 GMiller

GMiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

http://www.apsltd.com/c-4751-line.aspx

go to the bottom of the page

#6 P2 Marine

P2 Marine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

I never had much luck with Paraloc sheets. This shot is of an early lot of Stingray they gave to me to try out on my Star. As you can see the line took on a twisted, cork-screw-like set after only a couple of regattas. I sent the line back to them, and they acknowledged the problem. The line they sent to replace it did the same thing. Maybe they've got the bugs worked out now, but I'm just sticking with New England Finish Line for this application. For Thistle spinnaker sheets I'd probably opt for Salsa Line.

Posted Image

Cheers,
Rob

#7 notallthere

notallthere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
  • Interests:any sport that starts with S

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

I never had much luck with Paraloc sheets. This shot is of an early lot of Stingray they gave to me to try out on my Star. As you can see the line took on a twisted, cork-screw-like set after only a couple of regattas. I sent the line back to them, and they acknowledged the problem. The line they sent to replace it did the same thing. Maybe they've got the bugs worked out now, but I'm just sticking with New England Finish Line for this application. For Thistle spinnaker sheets I'd probably opt for Salsa Line.

Posted Image

Cheers,
Rob

Salsa soaks up H2o like a sponge, not good for Thistle spin sheets...

#8 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

paraloc kinks like a cold, badly coiled extension cord...

i like mafrioli or FSE robline personally.

#9 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:High performance sailing, motorcycle road racing.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

Second FSE robline, all I use!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users