9 replies to this topic

#1 Cruz

Cruz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:07 PM

Looking for a new smock, does anyone have experience, opinions or reviews of either the Gul Code Zero Smock or Henri Lloyd TP1 Stealth Smock?

Thanks

#2 dannyv1986

dannyv1986

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:26 AM

ive got the HL one. works well. I bought it this year and worn it twice, so idk... looks good in my sailing gear closet, i can say that much for sure.

#3 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:39 PM

My Gul Code Zero turns 3 years old this year and is still pretty much good as new. I put tons of hours on it too.

#4 skiffboy3

skiffboy3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

HL Tp1 all the way bought a pair of gull hobart high top pants this year shittiest pants i have ever had wore them once and they leak like a siv so unimpressed with gul

#5 uid100

uid100

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

Gil has dinghy smocks on their clearance page for $45. If they have your size, it's hard to beat. I've worn mine a few times, no complaints.

#6 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:51 AM

ive got both the tp1 and gul code zero...i wear the gul all the time, the HL is a spare

the gul fits me better , had better pockets (designed to allow access inside smock to pockets in saloppetes...its great), has a removable hood and is designed to be used by an active person, not a fat guy standing behind a wheel in a mist.

no offence to fat guys in the mist intended....

#7 yachtiesi

yachtiesi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:sailing, technology, business

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:42 PM

Big fan of the HL top, nice and light. Another alternative would be to look at slam stuff as it's pretty cool.

#8 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:59 AM

The Gill looks great with Duberrys.

Stylin'

#9 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:06 AM

I have the HL top. I really like it. I wear it for inshore stuff and I also used for the Bermuda race.
Really good piece of kit. 1 year old and is just like new.
Also the are half price on the HL USA site.

#10 Drewski

Drewski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:One Design Sailing

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

I have a Henri Lloyd TP1 smock where the neck and wrist seals disintegrated after a year with minimum usage. I contacted Henri Lloyd USA who would not commit to a remedy even though I sent them a picture of clear quality problems. They needed 5 weeks to keep my smock to figure out what to do. They must be so inundated with quality problems that they can't handle it. I wrote to Henri Lloyd in UK (ID HLC1047) to complain and have not heard anything in 8 weeks. I happen to have the TP2 Salopette pants which are really great and have no quality problems. If you want to play Russion roulette with hypothermia on the high seas, HL is the perfect solution. It could be great or it could be unbelievably bad. The worst thing is that I have yet to find anyone at Henri Lloyd that cares. Well at least that can sell their junk through West Marine to the boating masses and not have to worry about selling gear that will actually perform. I guess if I were Ben Ainslie, I would get my gear replaced once it had a speck of wear so I would never know how badly manufactured some of the gear is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users