Looks shopped.

#3 Wavedancer

Wavedancer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

Obviously wanted to get some sun in after the cold of last week.
Article

Hopefully it will leave me alone this weekend

#4 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts
  • Interests:sailing. Duh.

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

check out the link and second photo of the rig lying on the deck. could still be shopped but I don't think so. Scary S*%t!

#5 stocksail

stocksail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, can I please have your attention. I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. I need all of you, to stop what you're doing and listen. Cannonball!

#6 usa7776

usa7776

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

looks shopped to me. While the picture of the rig down may be real, I don't think the shadows on the sail, the stern and the cover add up.
.....I could be wrong.

#7 eye4clr

eye4clr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

look at the water at the body of the whale - shopped. The white spray would not just go away from the boat. It would be all around the whale as it exited the water.

#8 Never was

Never was

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

Attached File  Whale.bmp   267.6K   1000 downloadsArticle

Insurance job.

#9 JL92S

JL92S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

faaaaaaaaaaaaack

#10 full circle

full circle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

shopped or not.....it'll buff right out.

#11 DiasDePlaya

DiasDePlaya

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

Could you believe that the helmsman can do nothing with a wale close to destroy his boat? If the helmsman at least leave an arm to protect himself! But nothing? I can't believe!

Photoshoped!

#12 legoman

legoman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:boats

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

That boat belongs to Jeff Vuvezela, inventor of the Vuvezela. Google to see him on You Tube at the ESPY's. He deserved what he got, that whale did us a service. Good whale.

#13 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts
  • Interests:Building and managing websites using the Umbraco CMS

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:00 PM

Whale thought it was a Japanese boat.

#14 Greenflash

Greenflash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:10 AM

wow if that is real, those guys' assholes must still be pulsating.

#15 Kaptainkriz

Kaptainkriz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, duh!
    Tanzer 25 #28, Akoni
    Capri 30 #11, Rock Lobster (sold)
    http://www.tqci.net/~jkriz/Tanzer25.html

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:31 AM

Total shoppage....the helmsman is not even looking at the huge noisy whale exploding from the water...utter nonsense.....move along now, nothing to see here...

Could you believe that the helmsman can do nothing with a wale close to destroy his boat? If the helmsman at least leave an arm to protect himself! But nothing? I can't believe!

Photoshoped!

#16 frozenhawaiian

frozenhawaiian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, photographing regattas, boat building, boat design

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

and people wonder why the right whale is going extinct. "no ship around to run me over? well I'll just run into one myself."

all kidding aside though, whether a whale actually landed on the boat is debatable the first photo looks photoshopped. gonna call bullshit on this one.

#17 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,786 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:41 AM

All whale threads get this post don't they??

Posted Image

#18 badlatitude

badlatitude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:04 AM

Here is what the article that accompanied the pictures said. I wonder how they will ever get those students back on the boat?

Ralph Mothes and Paloma Werner of the Cape Town Sailing Academy had a very close call when a whale breached right on to their yacht recently.

Paloma says:

"We had been taking some pictures and had just decided to head back when a Southern Right whale, between 11 - 14 m long, breached about 100 meters away from us. It then suddenly breached about 10 meters from us and then right on us! We were sailing so had no engine and we could not even take any action. Scary!"
The images tell the story of the damage caused. The whale appeared to be unharmed and nobody on board was hurt, but the damage to the vessel was severe.
For this reason the Cape Town Sailing Academy will not be in operation for around 6 weeks. However, if you are interested in learning how to sail, do contact them for future sailing courses in Cape Town, from Beginner to Advanced.

You can also find them on Facebook - join the group for updates on upcoming courses.

#19 JimL

JimL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Interests:Club level short haul offshore racing & cruising. Having a quiet life.... and a few rums....

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:38 AM

And the Insurance Company wrote;

"Many thanks for the attached photos with your claim, our assessors are analyzing them along with your claim and our forensic inspectors will check your vessel for any damage from Right Whale residue. Please be patient while this claim is processed. Have a nice day...."

Well, the yacht is a steely so she should be ok.....

Cheers,

Jim B)

#20 southernocean

southernocean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

Boys and Girls this is true! A mate of mine was on his cat and saw a lot of bubbles just behind where he had just sailed, shortley thereafter the whale belly flopped the steel shitter. The steel shitter's owners are under investigation by the tree huggers for harassing the whale by circling around it. The law regards whales here in SA is that you have to stay at least 300m away. They were clearly flaunting the law and I guess got their justice the hard way! Pictures also on the RCYC website. www.rcyc.co.za

#21 I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

Shopped or not, It made CNN's front page...

http://www.cnn.com/2...hpt=P1&iref=NS1

#22 ccandy222

ccandy222

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

It's on the BBC News front page too.

#23 jarcher

jarcher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

My first thought when i saw it was that it was photoshopped. The driver seems to not even notice what's going on.

#24 ppmm

ppmm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:56 AM

If a whale jump in a boat, the rigging wouldn't be the only thing to go....

#25 BrotherofChas

BrotherofChas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:50 AM

Attached File  hamilton whale.jpg   840.14K   87 downloads This was taken at Hamilton Island Race Week 2009

#26 BrotherofChas

BrotherofChas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:54 AM

This was taken at Hamilton Island Race Week 2009Attached File  hamilton whale.jpg   840.14K   87 downloads

#27 beaconhood

beaconhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:I just checked my length...thank god I've got girth

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:05 AM

Attached File  Whale.bmp   267.6K   1000 downloadsArticle

Looks shopped.

I'm just not buying it...it totally looks photoshopped, the lighting and the shadows isn't quite right.

Ok even if the whale weighed only 10 tons, it would have done major damage to the hull of the sailboat not just the rig.

#28 mezaire

mezaire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:14 AM

Yeah my first reaction was shopped.

The shadows look wrong and the skipper looks like nothing is happening but the thing that really looks like it's a fake it the rails only bent along the port side of the yacht in the followong photos. Those rails would be non-existant and probably the deck/hull joint bent and/or opened.

#29 Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:22 AM

If you look carefully at the wording......

"We had been taking some pictures and had just decided to head back when a Southern Right whale, between 11 - 14 m long, breached about 100 meters away from us. It then suddenly breached about 10 meters from us and then right on us! We were sailing so had no engine and we could not even take any action. Scary!"
The images tell the story of the damage caused. The whale appeared to be unharmed and nobody on board was hurt, but the damage to the vessel was severe."

It doesn't actually say that this is a photo of the actual incident. Photoshopped to indicate what happened.

#30 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:13 AM

Weather or not it is shopped is not the question (it's a fucken fake).

What I want to know is will the saying "the front fell of" be replaced with "a whale hit it"?

#31 jonsailor

jonsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, design, hot babes

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

Weather or not it is shopped is not the question (it's a fucken fake).

What I want to know is will the saying "the front fell of" be replaced with "a whale hit it"?

Having been involved in a lot of media hype, I think you will find that maybe the picture is real????
But it definately is probably nothing to do with the impact and damaging breech that caused the damage.
Just a particular shot that will do for the cause???

#32 jonsailor

jonsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, design, hot babes

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:36 AM

Can you say definately and probable in the same sentence :blink: :blink:

#33 knucklehead

knucklehead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:19 AM

This is Africa, weird shit happens every day. We don' need no stinkin' Photoshop!
Remember we popularised flying sharks a while ago.....
The aftermath of the bellyflop:

Attached File  phoca_thumb_m_p1010020.jpeg   12.87K   68 downloadsAttached File  phoca_thumb_m_p1010027.jpeg   15.83K   67 downloads

#34 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

i dunno, if my boat had 10t of blubber land on it, it would be a little more damaged than that...my first thought of the shot was shopped too...

#35 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,133 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

Posted Image

#36 2Newts

2Newts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

It's on the BBC News front page too.

It made the front of today's NY Post:

Attached Files

#37 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

Think the credit sums it up nicely...

Attached Files

#38 Greenflash

Greenflash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:05 AM

Apparently there was blubber and skin on the boat to prove that this actually happened... AND it's a steel shitbox so thats why the damage was limited. True story, open your minds Anarchy cynics!
I also think its unfair for them to be scrutinised for 'provoking' the whale... they were sailing and the whale's breaches were hundreds of metres apart so they had no idea where it was coming next. In a case like that its better to just put the stereo or engine on in neutral so that the whale can hear you.

In another incident on a boat in South Africa with my family we were anchored just off the coast and a group of SR whales came and swam around the boat. We knew about the 300m law but decided to stay put so as not to scare the whales by starting of motors and blasting out of there... then to our dismay the authorities came thundering in with 2 big motorboats and loudspeakers ordering us away from the whales. Of course by the time we even went for the windlass the whales were miles away, scared off by their idiocy.

My opinion: If you see a whale far away, stay far away and make sure he can hear you. If it comes to you at anchor, just stay at anchor also making sure it can here you. I once played Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water to a very curious whale in the middle of the Atlantic... he kept his distance, no doubt! ;)

#39 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:18 AM

i dunno, if my boat had 10t of blubber land on it, it would be a little more damaged than that...my first thought of the shot was shopped too...

I take exception to your remarks sir. I'm all of 6ft and I've blubbered onto many boats without causing much damage. Ok, I almost took out a Soverel 33 once.... Once.

Blubberboy.

#40 Hellkell

Hellkell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

I guess a few of you bozos need to eat your words.

http://www.cbsnews.c...4191n&tag=strip

#41 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

Yeah, I loved all the comments. Allow me to respond, generally to some of them (paraphrased).

"Photoshopped!"

Really? Just how, exactly. Can you provide a photo analysis showing the artifacts of such doctoring that are usually found in all but the best photoshop work? Just because you have never seen or beleive an event like this doesn't mean it didn't, or can't, happen.

"It's fake, the shadows on the boat and light reflections on the whale are all wrong!"

Really, and your professional photography experience tells you this? You know how light and shadow work on three dimensional objects?

"It's fake, there would be a lot more water in the air."

Uh, huh. And you have studied multiple marine mammals breaching, yet never noticing how little airborne water they generate until they hit the water?

"The hull is barely damaged. That would have sunk a boat."

Uh, looks like the boat hull may be steel to me considering the hard chines. Could that be a possibility.

"The backgrounds are different from picture to picture. There's a ship in the background in one picture and a city in another."

Right. So there isn't the possibility that the boat and photographer rotated in the horizontal plane thereby exposing a different background?

"The sea state is different in both pictures."

So, the light, playing on the water, form a different direction, wouldn't make the sea look a little different.

I find it highly entertaining how quick people are to step on the fool box. It use to be that it only happened in the presence of a couple people on a dock, or at a pub but, now, with the intewebs we can spread our 'expertise' to the four winds, much like the odors of a fish processing plant or a drunk at a bar. There is nothing wrong with being skeptical at all. The key to skepticism is not doubting but asking for evidence and keeping your mind open.

All I can say is, the video looks pretty damn good. If that's fake, then I'll bow to the maker for their expertise. If it's not fake, and evidence seems to suggest it is not, then I will wonder what that boater was thinking not keeping clear of marine mammals.

Either way, I'm glad the boaters weren't hurt.

#42 Stingray

Stingray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

My first thought when i saw it was that it was photoshopped. The driver seems to not even notice what's going on.

http://www.comcast.net/video/video-of-whale-landing-on-sail-boat/1550321507/Comcast/1550167292/

#43 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

http://www.comcast.n...ast/1550167292/

There is a possibility he was looking to the right, to see where the whale would surface, when it leaped.

#44 Kaptainkriz

Kaptainkriz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, duh!
    Tanzer 25 #28, Akoni
    Capri 30 #11, Rock Lobster (sold)
    http://www.tqci.net/~jkriz/Tanzer25.html

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:23 PM

I'll be the 1st to eat mine...wow, that really blows.

I guess a few of you bozos need to eat your words.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6704191n&tag=strip

#45 web

web

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:33 PM

I don't think I'd be staring at that whale the whole time - I'd probably be frantically searching for things to do to make this encounter slightly safer for crew and boat. IOW: Damage control.

Probably finding none at that point, but still looking.

I don't know why people expect him to be staring at the whale 100% of the time. Are they the same people who just cover their eyes and scream when on a collision course, instead of actively trying to avoid (or at least practice damage control) until the last moment? You do not stare down a whale, and I'd say it's sufficiently big to follow through a corner of your eye while looking around for options.

#46 hip2b@c

hip2b@c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:02 AM

Video surfaces of sailboat struck by breaching whale - check it out here: http://latimesblogs....hing-whale.html

#47 Mr. Doug

Mr. Doug

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

Best line in that video: "The skipper is being investigated for possibly harassing the whale."

#48 Luba

Luba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

Best line in that video: "The skipper is being investigated for possibly harassing the whale."

As if he's not punished enough by having his boat destroyed....

#49 epoxymoron

epoxymoron

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Racing sailboats, skiing, music, tattoos.

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:54 PM

Whew!! I thought it was a Asian carp in Lake Michigan!!!

#50 chikinship241

chikinship241

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

I don't think I've seen anyone ask the question about who took the picture and I've seen no mention of another boat in close vicinity.

#51 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

I don't think I've seen anyone ask the question about who took the picture and I've seen no mention of another boat in close vicinity.

Yeah, then there's the video.... which could be where the picture (still) came from.

And if there was one boat in the water looking at whales, maybe there was another?

Why did they get the video/shot of the crash? Maybe they were "filming the whale" which led to the boat.

:rolleyes:

#52 Mushilele

Mushilele

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:57 AM

Video clip here - in this instance, a spectator on a passing boat took the footage. The still was credited to James Dagmore.
Spoke to the owner (who also owns a place in our village near Hermanus) and the boat isn't insured for whale damage.

#53 RumBulls

RumBulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts
  • Interests:Was J24s
    Now is Olson30s

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

Video clip here http://www.youtube.c...h?v=k-PlYz_N3dU - in this instance, a spectator on a passing boat took the footage. The still was credited to James Dagmore.
Spoke to the owner (who also owns a place in our village near Hermanus) and the boat isn't insured for whale damage.

Sounds like a whale of a lawsuit!

....... <DOOR SLAMS>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users