19 replies to this topic

#1 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

All we know is that the boat is 4000 pounds and 40' in length. This boat makes a Hobie 33 look beamy. Keel is 2000 pounds and hull is 2000 pounds. Boat is cold-molded. Lifting keel and outboard rudder. Has anyone raced one of these boats? How do they do racing? Any tips? Any history on these boats?

Thanx in advance

#2 dash34

dash34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts
  • Interests:Sailing my boat, playing bass and classical guitar, flying sailplanes, skiing, cycling and hiking.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

You need to PM Cap't Billy, who owned the Fast 40 Lawndart prior to the SC50 of the same name. He can tell you all you need to know.

I sailed on the boat a couple of times, and I can tell you it is very quick in a breeze, and in particular very stable and easy to steer downwind. It suffers a bit in light air in its original configuration, but you can always add more sail area.

dash

#3 penname

penname

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:21 PM

they are not very easy on the eyes, almost like a science project to see how much you can stretch out a 26 foot boat, plus you have to pay for a 40 foot dock space and you have the interior room of a 27 footer. The boom is very short on it, looks like it would be pretty easy to increase sail area.

#4 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

they are not very easy on the eyes, almost like a science project to see how much you can stretch out a 26 foot boat, plus you have to pay for a 40 foot dock space and you have the interior room of a 27 footer. The boom is very short on it, looks like it would be pretty easy to increase sail area.

That is totally untrue. The boat does not have nearly the interior of a 27 footer.

#5 Sailor_Buoy

Sailor_Buoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

You need to PM Cap't Billy, who owned the Fast 40 Lawndart prior to the SC50 of the same name. He can tell you all you need to know.

I sailed on the boat a couple of times, and I can tell you it is very quick in a breeze, and in particular very stable and easy to steer downwind. It suffers a bit in light air in its original configuration, but you can always add more sail area.

dash

He can also give you some tips for racing it like a bat out of hell....

#6 carcrash

carcrash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

Always seemed like a great idea, could have been better executed.

I mean, those few times ya don't win in a sport boat, isn't it when you get waterlined? Seems this sort of boat fixes the only weakness of, say, a Mumm 30, Olson 30, ...

I know the current thinking is beam is fast, but that's just the fashion, not a fact. STABILITY is fast, and beam just happens to be one way (the slowest way?) to gain stability.

#7 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,930 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

Got your PM Ball Breaker and I am not that Cap'n Billy. Sorry, no knowledge of those boats...

#8 Cap't Billy

Cap't Billy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:24 PM

That boat was a ton of fun.

The Cold Moulded boat was a prototype and even more extreme.

The factory versions are well built - Divynicel and Vinylester so no blisters ever. The build quality is generally very high.

One of my crew loved it so much he hunted down the guy I sold it to and made him an offer he couldn't refuse and bought it back.

I put an oversize main and spinakers on it.

It has been to Hawaii three times that I know about.

After this picture it now has a masthead spinnaker on a 4 foot overlength pole and an even bigger roach main and a masthead roll up Code Zero.

I think Chuggy might be going to sell it now. I put him onto this thread.

Attached Files

#9 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:02 AM

There was one here in Solomons - "My Tuition" - They guy's name was Paul that owned it. He got into motorcycles, tattoos, a cute blond & the gym...never saw the boat after that. I could probably find him at the gym, but I bet the boat is gone.

Hope for a long downwind ride.

#10 Cali4s20

Cali4s20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Gaucho pride

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

Theres one on a trailer by SDYC, def hard on the eyes

#11 carcrash

carcrash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:46 AM

I thought they were all cold moulded. Glad to hear the production ones are properly built plastic.

#12 Assman

Assman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:03 AM

Different Drummer

#13 Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,322 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:31 AM

Different Drummer

Those guys destroyed the Lauderdale to Key West Race this year.

Link

After their 160 nm,19 hour sprint down the southern coast of Florida from Fort Lauderdale to Key West, Frank Atkinson, Ted Naughton, his father Ted Naughton Sr, Tom Ericsson, and Jamie Stewart were exhausted. Racing against 33 other boats in the handicapped division (PHRF), these 5 men crewing on a narrow 40 foot boat “Different Drummer” didn’t realize until they were caught up on food and sleep that they had beat all of them on corrected time. Frank Atkinson, who’s owned the boat for just 6 months said, “I am exuberant!” In the early 90s he sailed on this Fast 40 with Ted and “Senior” (Ted Naughton Sr.) and won this same race to Key West. Since Frank bought the boat from Senior and revived her after 5 years in “mothballs,” he has spent every waking moment, when not running his rigging business, optimizing it for distance ocean races. Racing with the same crew who’d won the race together before was “really coming full circle.” “We absolutely wanted to win this race,” Frank said. Frank Atkinson swept the trophies, taking home the win for his division, the fleet, and the best overall performance in this race. Frank’s navigator, Ted Naughton, also took home the best navigator trophy for the PHRF class.

Results

#14 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:10 AM

Hi all - thanks for the info on this unique 40 footer. Sounds like an oversized "e" with a big roach and oversized poles and a quiver of asso's...... this boat would be fun to race down wind. I am sure with the long poles a staysail would be a big bonus.

#15 Assman

Assman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

So it sounds like the prior owner stated int the Fort Lauderdale article was the owner in 2002-2003 when all the allegations of undeclared mods were made, and then his rating was knocked 20 points by the YRALIS after Bill McFaul protested it. Maybe he is Guest Anarchists Thermo_* quoted in the above Different Drummer thread back in 2005. He just dissappeared after that thread like Jimmy Hoffa. Never responded.

http://www.yralis.or...anges/0209.html

Back to top of the page up there ^
MultiQuote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#19 Guest Anarchist thermo_*

Group:
Guests Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:31 PM

For those that are interested, concerning Different Drummer, I will address many of these comments over the weekend.

#16 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

So it sounds like the prior owner stated int the Fort Lauderdale article was the owner in 2002-2003 when all the allegations of undeclared mods were made, and then his rating was knocked 20 points by the YRALIS after Bill McFaul protested it. Maybe he is Guest Anarchists Thermo_* quoted in the above Different Drummer thread back in 2005. He just dissappeared after that thread like Jimmy Hoffa. Never responded.

http://www.yralis.org/recent-changes/0209.html

MultiQuote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group:

For those that are interested, concerning Different Drummer, I will address many of these comments over the weekend.

Assman,
And you find it a odd that a member from the YRALIS PHRF comm. would have a rating kncked by 20 per mile????
Is it because the guy sucked and couldn't beat Different Drummer.
What's funny is that same guy had a CHEATER Pearson 10M for years with a gift rating, and it was never adjusted

#17 Assman

Assman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

MultiQuote

Group:

Assman,
And you find it a odd that a member from the YRALIS PHRF comm. would have a rating kncked by 20 per mile????
What's funny is that same guy had a CHEATER Pearson 10M for years with a gift rating, and it was never adjusted

Stay on point here Espo. We have a guy who won the Vineyard with phrf 69, and two weeks later was knocked by YRALIS to 48. ALLEDGEDLY for undeclared mods. Then it seems fled YRA jursidiction to Florida where there is no extradition treaty with Biscayne Bay YRA. Ask Sailracer, he was on board. The actual protestor is knot known, but yes when the rating committee says the protest was 'from the floor' it often means a guy on the committee who races in the same divison as the guy who's rating is being protested, or someone broughit their attention.

#18 Assman

Assman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

MultiQuote

Group:

Assman,

Stay on point here Espo. We have a guy who won the Vineyard with phrf 69, and two weeks later was knocked by YRALIS to 48. ALLEDGEDLY for undeclared mods. Then it seems fled YRA jursidiction to Florida where there is no extradition treaty with Biscayne Bay YRA. Ask Sailracer, he was on board. The actual protestor is knot known, but yes when the rating committee says the protest was 'from the floor' it often means a guy on the committee who races in the same divison as the guy who's rating is being protested, or someone broughit their attention.

Hey Sailracer.. I see Different Drummer is signed up for the 2010 ALIR this week! Are you on?

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=325

#19 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:06 AM

I will confirm that I will not subject myself to that race again. Been there.

Sail safe!

#20 Assman

Assman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:31 AM

I will confirm that I will not subject myself to that race again. Been there.

Sail safe!

What about undeclared mods from 7-8 yrs ago? Can you confirm those?

Sail safe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users