5 replies to this topic

#1 Mojounwin

Mojounwin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

Just wondering if anyone has any real life comparisons of performance gains from fairing a keel?

What sort of boat?
What condition was the keel in before you started?
What condition was it in when you finished fairing?
What performance was gained (point/ speed)

I think we all know in theory a properly faired keel will be better, but just looking for some real life scenarios.

Cheers
Mojo

#2 celphtaught

celphtaught

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:the great blue yonder. and random bits of string

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:44 PM

ask someone with a J105

#3 DEAD MONEY

DEAD MONEY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

or a Melges 24.....

Not allowed in lot of OD classes but most PHRF don't hit you for it. Like any improvement it ALL adds up in the end and one bad tack can take away any/all time you gained.

#4 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Well it really does depend on what you start with, & what you end with. But remember this - a complete keel job, with the right stuff, lasts almost forever, & increases speed on all points of sail at all times. So on a money to speed gain comparison it is one of the best upgrades you can make.

#5 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

I used to work for Waterline Systems then in Bristol, now Portsmouth, Rhode Island, USA. They faired countless J24 keels and without a doubt it made the boat point a lot better and the boat was better balanced. However, not all boats have such a drastic affect and many don't allow it. Some boats are now faired out in the plug stage so aftermarket fairing isn't as big of a deal.

#6 JeffR

JeffR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

I faired the keel of my 9.1 Factory keel was pointy on front, fat on the trailing edge and had bumps and hollows all over it. I used templates for the front 15%, extended the tail to the class rule max chord length to get a nice clean narrow trailing edge and faired the rest as smooth and flat as possible using a grid, straight edge and batten to check.

The result was a dramatic improvement in the overall performance. The boat points a few degrees higher and is a lot easier to drive and keep in the groove now. I went from being near the top of my fleet to being right at the top competing for the win almost every week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users