• Please log in to reply
1599 replies to this topic

#1501 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the shout out Clean, anyone with interests in bringing your 111 to Chicago for the 2013 summer can start with the 105th Chicago Mac and end with the North American championships. Up to 12+ days of one design racing over a 6 week period... shoot me a note.

With more than 10 boats on lake Michigan you can really get a feel for one design on the boats. We had 10 in the Mac last year and had a great close race all the way.

#1502 DjangoNZ

DjangoNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Racing, Sailing, Racing....

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Looking at the overall results in racetrack in my opinion if I was looking to spend big bucks buying a new 35fter to race in the NZ fleet(no measurement rules), the J-111 isn't much of a step up in performance for the extra outlay. It is competeing against similar size boats from the 80's/90's, and is below boats like the Ross 10.66 higher ground which was built in 1989. If you really want a step up in peformance I suggest you look at the new Elliott 35SS which is sailing about 15% faster than the J-111 http://www.salthouse...lliott35ss.html

I'm sure you have some kind of agenda ;) but you might cut them some slack, since they're new to the boat and need the season to get up to speed. It's up against Elliott 12s and the very successful First 40. Pretty ok for a production 35-footer. On the "No measurement rules", sure, seems to be plenty of them http://www.aucklandr...NM Race 1-4.pdf

Naturally you can't compare the J/111 to Elliott 35SS or Shaw 11, that are full out carbon racers with canting keels costing 20-50% more (yeah, I did the comparison before buying the 111). Completely different tools. As is getting a 35' cat to go 115% faster than the Elliott 35SS :D

Thanks for your post, Peter - we are stoked with the new boat (which is Hull #1, the old "Stella"), and just getting our heads around sailing it. Might take us a decade or so! Thanks for all the info you post on Blur, it's super useful to us in learning our boat. And re the Elliot 35SS, you're right - this is an amazing boat, but quite a bit more $$$ than our 111's. It's seems to be a fundamental physical law of yacht racing - linear speed increases require exponential $$$$ increases!! A couple of pix of Django attached - the new Doyle's light headsail is looking very good.

Attached Thumbnails

• Django 1.JPG
  • Django 2.JPG

#1503 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

wow! slick looking ride Django . Love the sails.

#1504 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

Go get up Django!

#1505 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

I just got the latest issue of the biggest sailing rag here, Segling, where they review the J/111. We had the test team out on a windy day in august, and managed to put some smiles on their faces. Video above. One is the author of the book "700 tested sailboats" (!) - and I've never read such a passionate review!! 

Some quotes:

The lines are swanky, the speed amazing and control direct and distinct.

Do you love speed and have 2 million left over. Then the J/111 might be the boat for you. 

The long sprit was introduced by J/boats on the J/105 and it offers fabulous control. We managed to broach anyway, because we laughed too much and trimmed to little, when the boat thundered away in 15-16 knots.

Segling-testar-J111-cover.jpg

#1506 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:38 AM

nice

#1507 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

BIG NEWS!!!!! 

NOR Posted and Registration is OPEN for the J111 North American Championships!

http://j111nac2013.wix.com/j111nac2013

https://www.regattan...regatta_id=6778

#1508 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

First training session this year. Always good to start the season with a +20 knots run  :D 

mrstrnd-training-6.jpg

#1509 Sheep of the Bow

Sheep of the Bow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Are Blur doing the Europeans?

S.
J111 Jeez Louise

#1510 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

Are Blur doing the Europeans?

Sadly, we're not. To much going on here to squeeze it into the schedule. 

I'm project manager for the Marström 32 Cup. Wonderful carbon cats, great sailors and exciting racing, but it means we can't get involved in any big projects with the 111 (note to self: don't make sailing your job)... 

#1511 Sheep of the Bow

Sheep of the Bow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

That's a shame - though as it's in Le Havre, perhaps you're not missing out on much!

Envious of the M32 aspect though - look like a fun ride.

S.

#1512 Jim Z

Jim Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

MADMEN's first regatta and video...St. Francis YC Aldo Alessio.

Great fun; the learning continues!

Props to the owner's son Max (home from college) for video edit and production.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xcKqYQie6NE

#1513 DjangoNZ

DjangoNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

Last Sunday on Auckland harbour....getting faster

#1514 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Having an absolute BALL sailing on MadMen and Topsy Turvey in SF Bay. The J111 rides on rails. Is fast upwind and blazes downwind on our normal breezy day.

I feel we are on a precipice. Just a couple more boats and we are off to the races with OD starts here! Next new boat lands in Aug and is sold.

#1515 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

Having an absolute BALL sailing on MadMen and Topsy Turvey in SF Bay. The J111 rides on rails. Is fast upwind and blazes downwind on our normal breezy day.

I feel we are on a precipice. Just a couple more boats and we are off to the races with OD starts here! Next new boat lands in Aug and is sold.

Come to Chicago to race One Design for the Verve Cup and North American Championship (7 days of racing over 10 days)... Why wait for more to come on line out west, come to the North Coast where we sail on sweet water, you know you want too.

12 racing 1D for 333 miles of fresh water sailing up the lake for the Mac Race and 10 signed up for the NAC, and there should be more soon. 

#1516 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Come to Chicago to race One Design for the Verve Cup and North American Championship (7 days of racing over 10 days)... Why wait for more to come on line out west, come to the North Coast where we sail on sweet water, you know you want too.

12 racing 1D for 333 miles of fresh water sailing up the lake for the Mac Race and 10 signed up for the NAC, and there should be more soon. 

I KNOW. I'm f'n jealous. You know the OD deal...one boat at a time! Up to my nearest horizontal plane this year with the AC action. Otherwise I'd be there for sure. MadMen was taking a hard look at trucking out for it. How many are doing Key West? He's looking at that one pretty hard too.

#1517 ease hike trim

ease hike trim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

WICKED is in for Key West...

#1518 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

I KNOW. I'm f'n jealous. You know the OD deal...one boat at a time! Up to my nearest horizontal plane this year with the AC action. Otherwise I'd be there for sure. MadMen was taking a hard look at trucking out for it. How many are doing Key West? He's looking at that one pretty hard too.

Not sure how many will be coming down from the GL. It would have been great to have you in Chicago this summer. 7 Days of 1D racing 12+ J111's over 10 days with one of the most amazing skylines in the world. Key West is fun and all but... 

#1519 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hello Fleet 1 Race fans the 105th Race to Mackinac Race is upon us! 

It is the time of year we get to stretch our (sea) legs and go for a 333 statute mile non stop One Design down-bound run along the length of the beautiful Lake Michigan ending up on Lake Huron at Mackinac Island. 

With the top 111 taking 3rd overall, top two boats finishing less than 4 min apart, 6 111's in the top 10, all 10 finishing in the top 21 for the overall prize of the Mackinac Cup... it was quite a year for the 111's. 

What will this year bring... who knows.

Track all 11 Boats as they battle there way up Lake Michigan. http://gae.yb.tl/chicagomack2013 

Start 7/13/13 at 12:50 PM

8 returning, 2 new (to the class) and 1 new to the race (but they should not be counted out by any means) the J111 Fleet 1 is looking forward to another close race to the Island.

Added Bonus? This year CYC has asked a select few boats (14) to live tweet a few times a day. Kashmir, USA12, has agreed to participating in this experiment. Follow @RacetoMackinac on twitter or on the Chicago Yacht Club home page for updates from the lake. 

‪#‎cycrtm‬

#1520 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

Hello Fleet 1 Race fans the 105th Race to Mackinac Race is upon us! 

Added Bonus? This year CYC has asked a select few boats (14) to live tweet a few times a day. Kashmir, USA12, has agreed to participating in this experiment. Follow @RacetoMackinac on twitter or on the Chicago Yacht Club home page for updates from the lake. 

‪#‎cycrtm

Good luck everyone. Would have loved to be there!

#1521 DjangoNZ

DjangoNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

IMG_2397.jpg

Good luck to all for the Mac!

We had a blinder here in Auckland last weekend. Race 1 (60 nms) of the 3 race SSANZ SIMRAD series started at 0900 on Saturday morning. Trying conditions, with TWS from 0-17 kts and a variety of directions. We got a clean start, unfurling our new Doyle's Stratis Code Zero for the first time 15 seconds before the gun, and from there managed to make more good calls than bad, taking the Division 1 handicap honours nearly 12 hours later. Plenty of sail changes, a bit of drifting around and a gliding finish in the dark under Code Zero, doing 6.5 kts in 5.5 kts of breeze. 

The boat in the background of the photo is Wired, a well-sailed canting keel 52 footer - nice to cross those boys once in a while...

Bring on Race 2 - a 100-miler next month...

#1522 DjangoNZ

DjangoNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:24 AM

And here is a short video of the SIMRAD 60 on Django. This Hauraki Gulf place might be a nice place to have the next America's Cup....just a thought....

#1523 Jim Z

Jim Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

MADMEN's first regatta and video...St. Francis YC Aldo Alessio.

Great fun; the learning continues!

Props to the owner's son Max (home from college) for video edit and production.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xcKqYQie6NE

Unfortunately, MADMEN will not be able to make it out to Key West from San Francisco this January (2014). However we are seriously targeting 2015.

#1524 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Go get 'em Django!  hey tell us about that fucked up downwind start we ran the video for the other day?

#1525 DjangoNZ

DjangoNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

Thanks, Clean. Team Django (with secret weapon one A Pilcher) is starting to rock! And that start - what to say? We chose the other end of the line, cos the pin was closer to the next mark, it had wind, and nobody was there except us and Wired. It was a reaching start anyway, theoretically plenty of room. So we didn't see what happened at the boat end till we watched the Dumb and Dumberer footage. Guess everyone decided they wanted to be upwind of the next guy, which really means only one boat gets what they want. And, astonishingly, not one red flag!! Gotta love us Kiwis - we know how to barge!! Suspect it would be even funnier speeded up with some Keystone Cops music in the background. Looking forward to the next one - Dumb and Dumberest?

#1526 DjangoNZ

DjangoNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hi, all

Thought you might be interested in our sharp end setup. Having broken the prod, we decided that a bobstay might be a good idea, and then added another nearer to the stem to take the tension of the new Doyle's Stratis Code Zero. One of the two tacklines tensions the Zero bridle forward, and we then crank on the halyard - gives pretty good luff tension without too much direct upward pull on the prod. We finetune with the backstay ram.

Attached Thumbnails

• Django Sharp end mods.JPG
  • Django's New Doyle's Stratis Code Zero.jpg

#1527 DjangoNZ

DjangoNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:55 AM

Try this version of the NZ SSANZ SIMRAD B and G 60 race start.....

http://www.youtube.c...JBIgKqRnM#at=29

#1528 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

Anyone comment on the Stratis ICE sails for the J111?  i think there's a few 111s that have gone that way and wondering what they think of them.

Thanks,

Piper

#1529 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Awesome, 14 boats so far for the J/111 Nationals at Chicago Yacht Club in August!

Boat Name Sail# Bow# Class Hometown Yacht Club

1. Velocity 008   J111 Ellicott City, MD  

2. Kashmir USA-12   J111 Chicago, IL CYC 3

3. MENTAL 22   J111 Milwaukee, WI Chicago Yacht Club

4. Windczar 43   J111 Paradise Vally, Arizona LTYC

5. FleetWing USA 37   J111 Marblehead, MA Eastern

6. Lucky Dubie Usa72   J111 Chicago, Il Cyc

7. Impulse 60111   J111 Chicago, IL Chicago Yacht Club

8. Nighthawk 24   J111 Batavia, IL NA

9. nosurprise 60611   J111 Harbor Springs, MI Little Traverse

10. Hobgoblin 75111   J111 Milwaukee, Wisconsin South Shore Yacht Club

11. Wooton 89   J111 Chicago, IL. Bay Harbor, MI

12. My Sharona 61666   J111 Pensacola, Fl Pensacola Yacht Club

13. MISTY 602   J111 Long Grove, IL Chicago Yacht Club

14. Rowdy 47   J111 Chicago, Illinois Chicago Yacht Club

http://www.regattane...om_report_id=55

#1530 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Fleet 1 Race Fans it is what we have all been getting ready for all year the next two weekends in August where a boat will be crowned the first ever J111 North American Champion.

9 Boats are taking advantage of 3 days of one design racing in the Verve Cup as a sort of Pre NAC with three days off to measure, weigh, fix, sort, and rest before 14 Boats from 7 States will be racing over 4 days for the North American Championships. Yes that is right Fleet 1 Race Fans we have 7 days of One Design racing planned over a 10 day period. 

I think it is safe to say that this will be the largest gathering of J111’s in the short history of this growing class and there will be quite a few eyes watching from around the globe. 

I can't wait for it to start!

#1531 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

Hi, all

Thought you might be interested in our sharp end setup. Having broken the prod, we decided that a bobstay might be a good idea, and then added another nearer to the stem to take the tension of the new Doyle's Stratis Code Zero. One of the two tacklines tensions the Zero bridle forward, and we then crank on the halyard - gives pretty good luff tension without too much direct upward pull on the prod. We finetune with the backstay ram.

I like your bobstays! I don't have a boat at the moment, but when I had my U24, I always thought about putting on a bobstay. Is it more effective on one tack than the other, or is that effect insignificant? How do you like your Code 0? How far off center is it? Does that make one tack noticeably better than the other? Which one?

#1532 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

#1533 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

Excellent!

#1534 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

Wrap up...

#1535 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Members offer up lots of wonderful pics and videos on SA, and consistently so from blursailing. Congrats...

#1536 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

J111 Fleet 5, SF Bay has formed. Looking at possible local rule changes, primarily weight (yeah, it's a bit breezy here).

What sort of changes have other fleets adopted?

#1537 driverdog

driverdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:02 AM

Weeny!

#1538 Jim Z

Jim Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:33 AM

NEW GIRL IN TOWN?

Skipper spied the red hulled, fresh water MENTAL, sidled up to MADMEN this afternoon at KKMI in Sausalito.

So we have 8 J/111's on SF Bay now! MADMEN & MENTAL - KKMI - Sausalito 12 Feb 2014.jpeg

#1539 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:52 AM

Any 111's out there that might be for sale that are not posted on Yacht World?

#1540 Jim Z

Jim Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Assuming MENTAL is here to stay; following is the current SF Fleet # 5 J/111 list:

A preliminary "inaugural" One Design regatta schedule has been published.

Exciting stuff!

Boat Name - Hull #

AEOLUS - 7

MADMEN - 17

MENTAL - 22

TOPSY TURVEY - 39

FLASH - 54

SYMMETRY - 91

DOUBLE DIGIT - 94

TBD - 103 (March arrival)

NEW GIRL IN TOWN?

Skipper spied the red hulled, fresh water MENTAL, sidled up to MADMEN this afternoon at KKMI in Sausalito.

So we have 8 J/111's on SF Bay now! attachicon.gifMADMEN & MENTAL - KKMI - Sausalito 12 Feb 2014.jpeg

#1541 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

Assuming MENTAL is here to stay; following is the current SF Fleet # 5 J/111 list:

Exciting stuff!

Congrats. Another reason for me to move to SF  :D

And for those that are to lazy to find the schedule:

• Spring One Design Mar 15-16 StFYC
  • J Fest Apr 5-6 StFYC
  • Vallejo April 26-27 VYC
  • June Invitational June 7-8 StFYC
  • 2nd Half Opener Aug 2-3 EYC
  • Aldo Alessio Aug 22-24 StFYC
  • RBBS Sep 11-14 StFYC
  • Great Pumpkin Oct 25 RYC

#1542 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

Oh yeah....it's going to be a FUN year on the Bay. Lots of planing sailboats :-)

Anyone interested in sailing a J111 on the Bay, let me know. We're always out on Fridays at various beercans for shits and giggles. Jfest is going to be awesome this year. Trying to put together a little J111 tuning clinic on Friday before the weekend and we have an EPIC party staged for Saturday night!

#1543 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

Seems unlikely Ball Breaker (ouch). If you're looking to sell a Jboat, you probably want it on YW. Moves these fast.

There were two boats our of Nova Scotia. One went to my buddy in SoCal and the other seems to have sold. No longer on YachtWorld. There is one in the Netherlands for $272K.

I have a guy in SF looking for a used one too...I suspect there's other guys waiting to pounce one what pops up.

Exciting stuff!

Boat Name - Hull #

AEOLUS - 7
MADMEN - 17
MENTAL - 22
TOPSY TURVEY - 39
FLASH - 54
SYMMETRY - 91
DOUBLE DIGIT - 94
TBD - 103 (March arrival)

NEW GIRL IN TOWN?

So we have 8 J/111's on SF Bay now! attachicon.gifMADMEN & MENTAL - KKMI - Sausalito 12 Feb 2014.jpeg

It's actually 9 boats now. #101 seatrials on the 27th. She's in the yard commissioning now! :-D

#1544 brico

brico

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

There's one in Switzerland for sale.

#1545 Jono

Jono

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

Boat #1 Django just completed the New Zealand Round North Island race 2 handed. 4 legs, approx 1,000 nautical miles total. www.ssanz.co.nz. Well done the 2 Andrews.

#1546 DjangoNZ

DjangoNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

Thanks, Jono - an amazing race, with a bit too much upwind for our liking (!!) but we managed the 7th fastest total elapsed time, 5th overall on handicap, 2nd in Division and a Division win on Leg 2. This leg was the fun one, from Mangonui in Northland, around NZ's two northern Capes (well, 3 actually), then a fast ride down the Wet Coast, high speeds at night, oil rigs, siesmic ships towing 4.5km arrays, heaps of dolphin action, almost becalmed in NZ's notoriously stormy Cook Strait, 5 kts tides across to Wellington (in our favour, luckily), and a match race to the finish! The same 5 boats we diced with at North Cape were in a bunch that finished within 10 minutes of eachother 500 miles later in Wellington. Unbelievable. This race is a true adventure, and uber competitive. Everyone is relentless - short-handed sailing is highly addictive and heaps of fun. Apart from the lack of sleep, the degree of difficulty of every manouvre being tripled and the lack of sleep. Hats off to all the crews! Our next distance race will be from Auckland to Fiji in June. Fully crewed, this one, so should feel quite luxurious being able to sleep for up to three hours at a stretch! A couple of photos attached, one three sailing at the start in Auckland, and the second two sailing with the mini Zero off Cape Egmont on the way to Wellington

Attached Thumbnails

• Django 3 sailing RNI start Auckland 2014.JPG
  • Django West Coast RNI.jpg

#1547 DjangoNZ

DjangoNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

And re the NZ SSANZ Round North Island Two Handed race, here is a summary from Andy Pilcher of Doyle sails - AP makes up one half of the unbreakable J/111 Django crew!!

"Finished!! 
Well, that was epic, in every sense of the word. 
The final leg was, well, pretty shitty for the most part. 
If I said that Leg 3 was the longest 200 miles I'd ever done, then Leg 4 was the longest 340 miles I've ever done. 
I honestly think that you could not have designed a race to be more upwind, especially given the number of corners we turned, only to find the wind had bent around the corner just before we arrived there! 
To summarize, we left Napier heading E/NE to get out of the Hawkes Bay. Then veered left to head N/E towards East Cape. 
From there, another left turn to head across the Bay of Plenty towards Cape Colville, bearing N/W, before the final left turn heading S/W into a 35 - 40kn wind against tide maelstrom, for the "dash" back into Auckland. 
Sure enough, there to greet us at every turn was a windshift with our name on it, saying "Hey lads, welcome to the corner, your next leg will be upwind".
It was not entirely unexpected however. The weather people had been predicting this type of Leg well in advance, just as they'd predicted Leg 3 would be entirely upwind. 
Why is it that the shit weather forecast's are always the most accurate?? 
Anyway, as with the previous leg, we surprised ourselves with a better than expected performance, and were delighted with our finish this morning. 
I need a bit of time to get my head around it, but am rapt to have been able to do this race, which was a real adventure, and just worth it to have simply completed a circumnavigation of the North Island and see this incredible country of ours from a unique angle. 
Hats off to Mr AJ Reid for his impeccable preparation of the boat, where we sailed over 1200 miles and didn't break so much as a shackle. 
It's been a pleasure and a privilege. 
For the final time - on this journey anyway - "Django Out"

#1548 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Anyone knows of an owner looking to sell a J111 in North America, I have an all cash buyer chomping at the bit!

Please spread the word SA brethren. 

#1549 charliegolf

charliegolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

I own a J24 and love the boat. I would really like to transition into a larger, more modern boat and the 111 fits the bill in all ways--- until I add things up. WTF!!! Half a mil for a full zoot program!!! No,wonder they only sell on the Wrong Coast. Jeeeeez.

Mumm 30 with a prod here I come

#1550 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

I own a J24 and love the boat. I would really like to transition into a larger, more modern boat and the 111 fits the bill in all ways--- until I add things up. WTF!!! Half a mil for a full zoot program!!! No,wonder they only sell on the Wrong Coast. Jeeeeez.

Go with the J88....like a modern Mumm. Love the boat...$165K ALL in

#1551 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

This! Cant wait to launch our 88.

#1552 goblew

goblew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

Been a couple years since I've been in the market, but what the hell are you buying?  I can't imagine pricing has increased that much!

#1553 goblew

goblew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:01 AM

So what does "all in" include and how does that compare to Charliegolf's undefined half million?

#1554 edasner

edasner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

About 300 is really the number. Not 500.

#1555 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

$334 very nicely set up, before tax

#1556 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

So what does "all in" include and how does that compare to Charliegolf's undefined half million?

all in... like everything you need/want for a boat this size.

#1557 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

$365-370K delivered West coast, commissioned, in the Water, with full suit racing sails from your favorite loft, Full package B&G's....the works. Show up with crew and go race! We've got 8 active J111 programs here and I have a buyer that is SO ready to buy a used boat it's silly. Just doesn't happen to be any in the USA...sh**fu**he**!

#1558 goblew

goblew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

$365-370K delivered West coast, commissioned, in the Water, with full suit racing sails from your favorite loft, Full package B&G's....the works. Show up with crew and go race! We've got 8 active J111 programs here and I have a buyer that is SO ready to buy a used boat it's silly. Just doesn't happen to be any in the USA...sh**fu**he**!

OK, for what you describe for top of the line gear, etc. that's about in the ball park.  Hope you included the professional bottom prep :-)

Almost consider selling mine at that price - on second thought, no.  Having too much fun with it.  Hope he can find a boat soon.  Great to see the fleet grow.  Maybe the Nationals there next year. 

#1559 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

Why wait for your fleet to grow come to Chicago in July. Start with the Chicago Mac and roll right into the NAC's in Harbor Springs, MI. Book end it with a NOOD in June or a Verve Cup in August.

Bucket list race and a NAC in a week period... Petty good bang for the buck for a traveling yacht.

#1560 Sheep of the Bow

Sheep of the Bow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

...or ship your entire fleet to Cowes for Cowes Week, the Europeans and the Worlds in August?

S.

#1561 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

OK, for what you describe for top of the line gear, etc. that's about in the ball park.  Hope you included the professional bottom prep :-)

Almost consider selling mine at that price - on second thought, no.  Having too much fun with it.  Hope he can find a boat soon.  Great to see the fleet grow.  Maybe the Nationals there next year. 

Yup...full on racing bottom. MadMen just removed her bottom and installed and ultrasonic system. She's the test boat. Any luck at all....we'll start selling J's with these after the test year. 

#1562 Quagers

Quagers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

The J/111's in the Solent are starting to ramp up for the worlds in the Summer, 8 now entered in the Spring Series. 

http://www.warsashsp...Black GroupIRC1

#1563 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

Ok, so 3-4 weeks until the season begins. This year's addition to the inventory is a new J3.5 designed for shorthanded and solo racing.

3Di 760M featuring a reef and a second high clew for blast reaching. 28 m2 reduced to 22,5 m2 with the reef. Together with a deep second reef this should be a versatile setup in anything above 8 knots. 

1781534_10152183628730677_490052244_o.jp

More details...

#1564 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

Just fired off our inaugural J111 - Fleet 5 (SF Bay) event this weekend. What a great fleet this is becoming. 6 boats on the line with some finishes within a few inches. Last race was a photo finish.

The fleet will grow 50% (nine boats) in the next month as one team is forming on a brand new boat, another brand new boat just landed in the yard for commissioning and a used boat is on the way to SF.

image.jpg

image.jpg

#1565 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Interests:Pacific Cup 2014

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:47 AM

So why haven't any J/111's raced to Hawaii yet? None registered this year either. Seems like an obvious race to do on this boat.

#1566 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

so, are you saying you can hoist to the full luff length, and sheet to the high clew, to use the sail as a blast reacher/jib top?

Ok, so 3-4 weeks until the season begins. This year's addition to the inventory is a new J3.5 designed for shorthanded and solo racing.

3Di 760M featuring a reef and a second high clew for blast reaching. 28 m2 reduced to 22,5 m2 with the reef. Together with a deep second reef this should be a versatile setup in anything above 8 knots. 

1781534_10152183628730677_490052244_o.jp

More details...

#1567 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:58 AM

so, are you saying you can hoist to the full luff length, and sheet to the high clew, to use the sail as a blast reacher/jib top?

More details.

That's the plan. We had the same arrangement in our old heavy-weather jib and it worked out great.

The only issue is the normal clew that adds some complexity as you normally wan't the sheets attached.

#1568 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

Fastest J/111 out there?

Trying to get as much input as possiblefor our own campaign, I would like

to get a feel for which 111's are considered to be fast. In the US? UK? Fire away...

#1569 Quagers

Quagers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

Well Jeez Louise won last years J-Cup and was top J/111 at Cowes week the year before.

So far this season J-Dream, ETB Tyres and Jitterbug seem to be going well in the UK.

#1570 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

Fastest J/111 out there?

Trying to get as much input as possiblefor our own campaign, I would like
to get a feel for which 111's are considered to be fast. In the US? UK? Fire away...

Only one way to find out....come to RBBS in Sept. We're at 10 J111's so far. Breeze On!

Great graphics on the newest J111 in the Bay...#103 "Bad Dog"

image.jpg

#1571 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

Or come to Chicago where we had 11 for the Mac and 15 for the NAC.

Or come to Chicago where we had 11 for the Mac and 15 for the NAC.

#1572 Quagers

Quagers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

Or the Worlds in Cowes this summer (Given than Blurs a European boat that one might be a bit more realistic)

#1573 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Or the Worlds in Cowes this summer (Given than Blurs a European boat that one might be a bit more realistic)

We won't make it this year as I'm running the M32 multihull cup (don't work with your hobby), but were planning Cowes Week and Fastnet Race next year. 

As we're trying to learn from the best boats out there, it's interesting to see who's fast and who's not. But it seems to be a pretty close fleet. Might try to get to Cowes to do some spying in august  :P

#1574 vtsail

vtsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:07 AM

Anyone know what the lead time is for a new factory built 111 delivered to the East Coast?

#1575 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:45 AM

best thing is to call J-boats

#1576 firestarter

firestarter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:20 AM

Anyone know what the lead time is for a new factory built 111 delivered to the East Coast?

If you're going to get one, please come race it on the Chesapeake!

#1577 Alcatraz5768

Alcatraz5768

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:06 AM

Hi guys. I have had a good look at the cockpit on Django and think its a great racer cruiser compromise, so I'm about to style my new cockpit so it's similar. We are tiller steered is it'll be a bit different, however I just want to know if there is anything you would change at all about the cockpit if you could? Mainly the position of foot braces, corners that dig in when having a beer, main sheet swivels, controls etc. I understand that you've all just spent over quarter of a million dollars on your new boats so it's hard to see anything wrong with them at all, but any help is appreciated as we are starting from a blank slate.

Cheers Dave.

#1578 J111LeJouetStephane

J111LeJouetStephane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:J111

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

Hi guys,
JBoss, J111 #71, racing "les voiles de St Barth". Second in CSA3, Maximum planning 21,6 with half crew JBoss and half Le Jouet #50
http://www.lejouet.e...StBarth2014.htm

#1579 Smithy09

Smithy09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:56 AM

Well this has been an interesting thread!

I don't feel quite so bad about being regularly thrashed in the SIMRAD two handed series by Django, seeing what other J111s are doing aound the world. We are in an old (1982 Ross 40, Marshall Law) but fast 40 footer and up until the 2 handed Round North Island race, Django had beaten us in every race.

We got them on Legs 1 and 3 in the RNI. They got lucky on Leg 2 when we sailed into the biggest hole Cook Strait has ever seen, and they sailed around us, to beat us by 2 minutes then on the last leg, they sailed superbly, whereas we had a shocker, and broke our boom into the bargain, but still finished. We won our division on line and were second on handicap. 9th overall on elapsed time, so they got us by two places.and they got us by two places on handicap as well, that last leg costing us dearly.  We would love to be sailing in the same division as Django, as we are quite well matched, except they sail better. Next RNI?? FOR SURE!

I love that retractable sprit, and I think that will have to be the Marshall's next upgrade. A shameless copy of a J111 sprit!

Very cool boats, and certainly not slow!

#1580 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

After last weeks GVA Marstrand Big Boat Race we had to take both Blur, and Norwegian J/111 Dacapo #85, the 140' to Oslo för Færder Race. Brought along some friends and had a blast...

#1581 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Incredible clip blur.

#1582 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

We thought we lost our mojo two weeks ago when we struggled against TP52s and King 40s on a weekend of W/L racing. But after winning the 40' Racing Class at the Færder Race (the worlds biggest overnight race with 700 boats) we're pretty sure we still have it  :D

Some decent downwind sailing. At 02:30 we're sitting on 15 knots, topping 19, as we pass through the earlier starts.

#1583 Furkolkjaaf

Furkolkjaaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

awesome video Blur !

how did you fix the camera in the first part...backstay ? doesn't seem so.... 

#1584 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

awesome video Blur !

Poor mans drone :-) Long telescope rod. Can be seen at 00:36. A bit soft, so I'll try to make one in carbon...

#1585 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

And a shorthanded version from this weekend. Averaged 12.7 knots over 25 minutes and topped 18 with just the helmsman on deck. Great ride.

#1586 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

#1587 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

awesome video Blur !

+1. The Blur guys provide some of the best sailing videos anywhere. I only wish I could put together vids that were half as good...I've got a long way to go and I'll never match them, but I am learning - partly by mimicking Blur.

Thanks!

#1588 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

awesome video Blur !

+1. The Blur guys provide some of the best sailing videos anywhere. I only wish I could put together vids that were half as good...I've got a long way to go and I'll never match them, but I am learning - partly by mimicking Blur.

Thanks!

Thanks! Sometimes I just hate fiddling with GoPros, charging batteries and trying new things when I should be focused on my racing. But when I hear that people get inspired to take up racing again or sail a regatta for the first time, it's worth it. Also, since we have such a long winter - i need to watch them to stay sane for 6 months :D  

#1589 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

+1

Your vids rock!

#1590 Rushman

Rushman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

http://crew.org.nz/f...php?f=9&t=24591

Django abandoned while returning to Auckland from Fiji

All crew safe

#1591 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

As long as the crew is all ok. Material can be replaced.

#1592 corkob

corkob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:Monohull Offshore racing

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

Ohhhhh I thought these things only happened to Beneteau's !!!

#1593 SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

I have no doubts that J-boats are above average. But still - the silence is amazing - knowing SA.

#1594 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

I have an email into the Johnstone boys, and would expect a statement from them soon. Django owner and sailmaker are both good friends and big fans of SA, so we expect them to be fairly straightforward with us...or as straightforward as insurance considerations allow, anyway.

#1595 stinky

stinky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

**crickets**

#1596 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

anyone know why Challwa retired from the Bayview Mac? She looked to be up near the font for most of teh race. 

#1597 bloodshot

bloodshot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:the pointy end of the boat

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

**crickets**

not really.  Clean posted J/Boats response in here: http://forums.sailin...opic=158594&hl=

#1598 stinky

stinky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

**crickets**

not really.  Clean posted J/Boats response in here: http://forums.sailin...opic=158594&hl=
Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:57 AM
From the boys in Newport:

"J/Boats have been in contact with the owner Andy Reid since the incident happened, in fact he will be in Newport soon on a scheduled trip already. We're sorry to hear about the breakage and have already commenced our own internal review on the circumstances that may have led to the rudder post failure, working with our team of engineers, builders and materials specialists. In the meantime, our condolences to the delivery crew and hope that all are well and in good health and spirits despite the circumstances."

That?

#1599 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

anyone know why Challwa retired from the Bayview Mac? She looked to be up near the font for most of teh race. 

I had heard that Challwa withdrew themselves after failing to finish properly. They did not leave the round island passage light to starboard.

#1600 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

Some shots from the J/111s at NYYC Race Week in Newport yesterday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users