Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0187_sml.jpg

#2 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Apart from sailing? Photography, Camping & Skiing.

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:49 AM

This thread has been going for months and has tons of information in it already.

#3 Iamnottelling

Iamnottelling

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Beer and Racing

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:55 AM

I like it. The wheel is actually large enough so you don't have to stretch.

#4 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,339 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:59 AM

looks like a decent hull. however, there are a few quirks with the pit setup (sans seats, i've already hashed that one out...) i would like to see changed if we got the boat (which isnt happening anyway... but hey, this is SA!).

On the 109 the cam cleats for the jib leads were lead at a shallow enough angle that they could be lead to the windward primary to trim them in some. Whether or not thats necessary or not can be debated, but it was useful for me at least...

I also would have though that, given the fact that they're using a #3 anyway, that the boat would be designed for cross sheeting.

Its good to see that the owner sprang for the horizontal RF battens. not only do they not look retarded, but they make the bow's life sooo much easier. I've sailed on three boats in four regattas that used those damn vertical battens, and only on one of those regattas was i not doing peels or jib changes between races. Otherwise, they were just a flying pain in the ass. So, props to the owner/sail maker.

edit: oh, and if anyone from jboats reads this... next time you launch a boat, give me a shout and i'll take the damn pictures for you. and edit them for web usage for you. i work cheap...

#5 Alfred E. Bush

Alfred E. Bush

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Interests:Trying to act intelligent

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:43 AM

How much are these full page ads?

#6 davethesailor

davethesailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:55 AM

how many more of them j-boats? they'll soon have all the numbers covered, will they go 2.0 after that or 2.1.0.1 and so forth? nothing new under the sun from j-boats...I'll have one if they pay me to...

#7 bobhub

bobhub

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:sailing,and racing

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:16 AM

I am really sorry to rain on anyones new boat release, BUT I Have to say that any GOOD FRIENDS DON'T LET THEIR GOOD FRIENDS SAIL ON J BOATS,

SORRY, But just had to go there

#8 Infinite

Infinite

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

Santa Cruz 37 is the first thing that pops to mind. Nice lines... needs polars. Is the foot of the main supposed to be that loose or was the mast shorter then expected?

#9 Andraz Seascape18

Andraz Seascape18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

Same old, same old...

#10 Dr Kommo

Dr Kommo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Sports Boat racing, Cruising (off shore).

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

Is it possible to have too much white on a hull?

#11 HobieBlair

HobieBlair

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

This is new? J boats bore me

#12 Franklins Tower

Franklins Tower

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Interests:Well I have to include sailing as one of my interests.

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

Santa Cruz 37 is the first thing that pops to mind. Nice lines... needs polars. Is the foot of the main supposed to be that loose or was the mast shorter then expected?

What does mast height have to do with foot length? I'd like to see some pic's of the thing out of the water. Oh, and..........................what's it rate?

#13 bgytr

bgytr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

Wanna bet that the 111 will sail circles around the Santa Cruz 37?

The 111 has a much narrower stern, and hence a lot less wetted surface. The only conditions that maybe the Santa Cruz could keep up would be broad reaching in over 20 knots.

#14 snake

snake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

shame about the doyle sails.....what a way to slow a boat down right aut of the box....

#15 AmsterdamCanalSailor

AmsterdamCanalSailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

Too much white plastic for me. Don't know how it sails, but it's not a pleasure for the eyes.

#16 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:36 PM

I am really sorry to rain on anyones new boat release, BUT I Have to say that any GOOD FRIENDS DON'T LET THEIR GOOD FRIENDS SAIL ON J BOATS,

you see..., the thing about JBoats is that they are building boats for people who actually buy boats, and not for their "friends", who come along for the occasional ride, and then crap on the boats on internet forums.

#17 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

Is there a tiller option?

#18 jhiller

jhiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

Way overpriced... white plastic . SA must be getting paid plenty to push this piece of expensive crap

#19 schming

schming

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:sailing and women

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

i think it is uninspiring, and it looks slow

#20 Alfred E. Bush

Alfred E. Bush

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Interests:Trying to act intelligent

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

Reader Warning! Do NOT come to this forum in search of inspiration nor enlightenment. Do come if you like entertainment. Advise: worthless, Snickering: priceless.

Posted Image
We prefer this 4 Knot Shit Box way 'mo....

#21 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

More bullshit posted here as usual. Nice boat, I've owned two J's and been very happy with them and this is nice too. How refreshing also to see a boat without North Sails. A double win. Lots of deposits down as J knows what their owners are interested in.

#22 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

compared to some _other_ 36ft boat with standing head-room, and cruising accommodations, of which 30 have been sold before the first one hit the water, during a global recession, and which will probably become a great one-design class, insuring _excellent_ resale potential for the buyers...?

if so, which one?

#23 Wet Spreaders

Wet Spreaders

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

The jib in the photo seems to be cut quite high off the deck - especially at the clew.

#24 Osky

Osky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

The jib in the photo seems to be cut quite high off the deck - especially at the clew.

I agree...Question: How do you roll the jib with that horizontal batten?

#25 Tommyboomer

Tommyboomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

you see..., the thing about JBoats is that they are building boats for people who actually buy boats, and not for their "friends", who come along for the occasional ride, and then crap on the boats on internet forums.

+1 - Looks great and fast. I hear it will rate around the same as a 1D35 but with an interior. Of course it will cost and extra $200K :)

#26 FLICK OFF!

FLICK OFF!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

Is the foot of the main supposed to be that loose or was the mast shorter then expected?

What does mast height have to do with foot length? I'd like to see some pic's of the thing out of the water. Oh, and..........................what's it rate?

Doesn't the Main look small?

Tiller?

#27 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

Is it possible to have too much white on a hull?

Agreed, the all-white messes with the lines. Some two tone nonskid would be groovy.

From where I'm sitting the folding along the luff looks consistent with a cranked on cunningham though I can't quite make out if it's actually there or yanked on.

shame about the doyle sails.....what a way to slow a boat down right aut of the box....

Heh, my thoughts exactaly. The other way is by giving it a too-small OD kite which they also did.

#28 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

Boat looks great.

Tell the photographer next time to CLEAN THEIR LENSES before snapping those photos!

On the boat, I'd question why the jib is so far off the deck, and kudos on having an appropriate sized wheelie. Carbon wheel would complete the package IMHO.

I'm interested to see how it rates... if anything close to a 1D35, fast will be fun and functional.

DG

#29 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,339 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

I agree...Question: How do you roll the jib with that horizontal batten?

the battens are setup like a tape measure, a concave piece of metal. they are straight until enough force is applied to "break" it and then it rolls up. they are a godsend on the bow.

#30 ragbag

ragbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

Wanna bet that the 111 will sail circles around the Santa Cruz 37?

The 111 has a much narrower stern, and hence a lot less wetted surface. The only conditions that maybe the Santa Cruz could keep up would be broad reaching in over 20 knots.

It won't sail circles around the SC 37. I considered both boats. The SC37 is bit longer, lighter and more SA, but it is a bitch to sail, very slippery. The J/111 is designed for a wide groove, much more forgiving. I will bet the SC37 will owe the 111 at least 10 secs a mile.

#31 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

Tiller - The rudder post is too far forward. The result would be a short tiller or have to move the mainsheet / Trav forward.

SC 37 - Other than the more narrow stern it is strange just how much they look alike.

From reading the other posts / threads it seems that the problem is being able to deliver boats. J/boats has deposits but can't deliver boats. Nice problem to have but deposits do not equal sales. The wait for a boat may keep buyers from ordering. Very tough for Dealers to pitch local one design if there is a long wait for the boats.

Has anyone seen proposed or actual one design rules for the boat?

#32 ragbag

ragbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

Get back on your meds, these therapy sessions are expensive.

#33 ragbag

ragbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

Here it is. More here.

The money shot to come is where she breaks the bow wave and gets up on a plane. Not enough breeze in these pix.

#34 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,879 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

I think it looks BITCHEN.
Nice job J boats gang.

#35 socalsailor38

socalsailor38

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

IMO it looked better out of the water

#36 BrianMalone

BrianMalone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

When are they and everyone else gonna quit with the ST primaries, I thought these were fucking raceboats.

#37 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

When are they and everyone else gonna quit with the ST primaries, I thought these were fucking raceboats.

you must not have read the web site...,

actually, it's a

day sailing, racing and weekend cruising sailboat

, so self tailers are probably the right call for the boat.

#38 ragbag

ragbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

Santa Cruz 37 is the first thing that pops to mind.

I think SC37 woke J Boats up to the concept of a more ambitious blend of performance with general purpose sailing. Nailing that combination hasn't been easy on a budget.

#39 Ballast Technician

Ballast Technician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:55 PM

More bullshit posted here as usual. Nice boat, I've owned two J's and been very happy with them and this is nice too. How refreshing also to see a boat without North Sails. A double win. Lots of deposits down as J knows what their owners are interested in.

Which would be mostly well-built cruisers that said owners can take out for some safe racing on the weekends.

And, giving credit where it is due, J//Boats are excellent at delivering exactly the above - and at a price point that lets them make very decent margins. More than can be said for many other boat builders...

#40 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

Way overpriced... white plastic . SA must be getting paid plenty to push this piece of expensive crap

we don't get paid anything to feature this boat. it's new, we got the pics, and we ran it, just like we do with a whole bunch of new boats. nice try though.

#41 liquorpig

liquorpig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Interests:Rum, Sailing w/ Rum, short girls on stillts.

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

The sail plan looks pretty weak to me along with an under spec'd rig (particularly the boom). Maybe that's why it has no sail area?? The hull seems beefy but that translates into weight. Maybe it's a good compromise boat for a family, but there are better options in this category for this type of boat. I'm sure that it will suit someones needs who wants a "brand name" and will write the check to have the "J "logo on their club shirt & hat. Best of luck to the Johnstone clan with this one....

#42 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

how many more of them j-boats? they'll soon have all the numbers covered, will they go 2.0 after that or 2.1.0.1 and so forth? nothing new under the sun from j-boats...I'll have one if they pay me to...

I think they should have started using roman numerals for the line of boats that includes the 100. J-X, etc. Or perhaps just drop a digit. Even though they have a lot of boats in their stable, there are many numbers left. And they are pretty clever.

The boat looks great to me. Any owners need (positive thinking) crew?

#43 Polaris

Polaris

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

Smaller version J125. Fast reacher. Pole looks very long, lots of chute area. Will not do well in IRC. ( I predict 1.135). It will be a PHRF machine/ORR mediocre.

Beautiful boat.

#44 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

It's so great that we can have exactly the same discussions over and over again... every time the Ed gets a new picture and start a new thread (why no tiller, sailplan to small, too heavy, gennaker to small, J/boats naming, etc, etc...).

I recommend reading

And it seems that many people on SA wants (and argues for) the all out planing carbon 36' racer? But not many of you are prepared to pay the $500k and actually get one? So when push comes to shove, it's always some compromise between performance, usability, economics, resale value and other boring stuff.

And with ~30 boats already on order, I would say that this is the most successful launch in this segment (~35' sporty racer/cruiser) since X-yachts launched the X-35.

I know it's pretty much spot on for me!

#45 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

It's so great that we can have exactly the same discussions over and over again... every time the Ed gets a new picture and start a new thread (why no tiller, sailplan to small, too heavy, gennaker to small, J/boats naming, etc, etc...).

And it seems that many people on SA wants (and argues for) the all out planing carbon 36' racer? But not many of you are prepared to pay the $500k and actually get one? So when push comes to shove, it's always some compromise between performance, usability, economics, resale value and other boring stuff.

And with ~30 boats already on order, I would say that this is the most successful launch in this segment (~35' sporty racer/cruiser) since X-yachts launched the X-35.

People like you should just find a different sailing site! If Sailing Anarchy is bit too much for you then look elsewhere for your sailing info!

May I reccomend going to Google Type in Blur, Sailing and then you will be asked if you want to translate it into English. Hit Yes and you will not have to put up with SA!!!

#46 Alec's Left Nut

Alec's Left Nut

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Holy cow, how friggin in-hauled is that jib - what's the setup they're using? The jib clew HAS to be high to clear the cabin top. Otherwise the foot can't scrape the deck cuz it's a furler sail - no end plate effect here boys.

As someone said earler, they went with a coachroof which looks too high - I know why but they made a lot of consessions.

to my eye the upwind pic doesn't look that impressive. Granted it's not an Audi-Med TP52 but it looks plodding. We'll see when it hits these shores.

Can you adjust the backstay easily or did they go for the dumbed down, lowest common demoninator hard-to-adjust handle at the back model?

#47 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

But when you consider that back in the late 70's and early 80's, hippies were building boats that were 5' longer (Olson and SC 40)and only 1000lbs heavier with nice wood tone interiors that made you feel at home instead of in a plastic boat, I'd say that building techniques for boats built for the average sailor has not progressed much in the last 30 some odd years. (I bet profits have)

The image gallery does not show any interior photos, not good.

#48 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,460 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

Nah, that just applies to 105s.

Putting on the flame suit now, cause I'm going to surprise myself here and say that I generally like the look, but I have two questions (someon already asked what it rates, so I won't go there...)

1) Do we really have to have a recessed wheeL? I mean, it's cool and it lets the hemsman sit out to weather and all, but they can be a bitch to keep clean, and there's always the errant beer can or the ten year old's foot that somehow manage to get caught up in there at least once in every regatta. Not mention the pringles. Did I ever tell you about the pringles? God help us.

2) Why isn't the roller furler recessed in the bow? It's been what, 25 years since the 105 hit the water and we still haven't figured that one out? C'mon guys!

#49 usa25889

usa25889

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

I have a feeling it will be one of those boats that you see at a dock in 10 years and ask a crew mate, is that a J? Is it revolutionary? No. Is it cheap? No. Is it faster than existing 35-40ft IRC designs 40? Unlikely. Maybe it can squeak out a good rating, with the cockpit seats, sprit, and limited overhang, but that seems about it. And could somebody please throw some better graphics on that thing?

#50 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,339 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

[quote name='Dawg' date='01 August 2010 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1280693493' post='2937887']
[quote name='Blur' date='01 August 2010 - 12:24 PM' timestamp='1280690640' post='2937857']

[/quote]

But when you consider that back in the late 70's and early 80's, hippies were building boats that were 5' longer (Olson and SC 40)and only 1000lbs heavier with nice wood tone interiors that made you feel at home instead of in a plastic boat, I'd say that building techniques for boats built for the average sailor has not progressed much in the last 30 some odd years. (I bet profits have)

The image gallery does not show any interior photos, not good.
[/quote]

i bet profits have gone down, per dollar of input... labor costs more, materials cost more, etc. but hey, what do i know. and i do agree that the jboats on the whole seem a bit over priced.

[quote name='Remodel' date='01 August 2010 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1280693706'

Nah, that just applies to 105s.

Putting on the flame suit now, cause I'm going to surprise myself here and say that I generally like the look, but I have two questions (someon already asked what it rates, so I won't go there...)

1) Do we really have to have a recessed wheeL? I mean, it's cool and it lets the hemsman sit out to weather and all, but they can be a bitch to keep clean, and there's always the errant beer can or the ten year old's foot that somehow manage to get caught up in there at least once in every regatta. Not mention the pringles. Did I ever tell you about the pringles? God help us.

2) Why isn't the roller furler recessed in the bow? It's been what, 25 years since the 105 hit the water and we still haven't figured that one out? C'mon guys!
[/quote]

fuck yes the wheel should be recessed. sailing the 109 i could either sit, or i could stand and see the telltales. standing all day for a 3day regatta gets old by the second day. It was neat sailing the King/Summit 40 with the wheels all the way out to the edge of the cockpit - super comfy to helm.

#51 Ballast Technician

Ballast Technician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

And it seems that many people on SA wants (and argues for) the all out planing carbon 36' racer? But not many of you are prepared to pay the $500k and actually get one?

Erm, just over half that amount would be about right (linky).

So when push comes to shove, it's always some compromise between performance, usability, economics, resale value and other boring stuff.

Generally the choice will be between performance and comfort, i.e., racer vs. cruiser.

Good, glad you like it. Appropriate forum is here :rolleyes:

#52 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

Seems like a nice enough boat. Personally I have no emotional involvement with Js. I've sailed on them and against them and I have almost invariably enjoyed sailing them. I like them plenty, but I'm not an I've-drunk-the-Kool-Ade fan-boy. Three observations from the photographs. They are probably related.
  • Not of lot of big smiles or happy grins on board. Everyone EVERYONE looks either serious or disappointed or both.
  • Boat looks like it came out heavy. Even in the glassed-off, everyone-forward picture the transom is in the water. Transom gurgling in every photo; disturbed water flow off the back. Will it tow an empty beer can back there?
  • Makes big waves. The 3/4 angle view with spinn shows IOR levels of quarter wave, big hole amidships.
Maybe they need more wind? But traditionally, J/boats have more-or-less been dialed in for the 6-12 knot TWS that most of the USA sails in, weekend after weekend after weekend. That looks like 7 knots TWS to me...

#53 USA 5184

USA 5184

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Boat looks great, looks like a winner to me. Besides the "J Hater Nation" that is sailing anarchy, I think the number of hulls already ordered is a true testament to J Boat's ability to make a great boat, don't think the new sydney 37 will be able to match it's numbers in sales. That being said i am a little disapointed that the finished product wasn't the radical change in direction for J Boats that many people were expecting. I thought they would step out of their comfort zone and actually produce a hardcore, lightweight, T-bulb keel racer but it ended up being another 36ft cruiser/racer in their lineup. The 111 is too similar to the 109 and they will cannibalize each other's sales.

#54 BECKK

BECKK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

It's funny how the other 111 threads were mostly complimentary. How come the haters come out when it's in the water? I like the boat and it seems to be a departure from recent J designs.

#55 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:05 PM

And it seems that many people on SA wants (and argues for) the all out planing carbon 36' racer? But not many of you are prepared to pay the $500k and actually get one?

Not really sure that's the boat to take for a serious offshore race is it? And sure, $300k might get it on the starting line, but we'll see.

So the big question now (if it's such a great example of the boat people want - and cheap too)... How many sold?

I love those boats as much as anyone, but it's extremely hard to get them to market. That's reality. The segment between production racer/cruisers (J/111, SC37, Sydney 37, X-35, X-treme 37, T-34, ...) and racing custom designs from Ker/Farr/Corby/Mills/Bakewell-White is very small. Many have tried; 1D35, Farr 11s, Heiner 38, Ker 11.5 (now reincarnated as Ker 40 after they closed down after building one boat), Max Fun 35, ... Not many good examples in the last 30 years besides Melges and Farr.

And for a company like J/boats, in this kind of economy, trying to do a new J/125 or compete with the Melges 32 wasn't really an option.

But I guess there are plenty of choice for those who need (and are willing to pay for) more performance.

#56 Steam Machine

Steam Machine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:24 PM

Smaller version J125. Fast reacher. Pole looks very long, lots of chute area. Will not do well in IRC. ( I predict 1.135). It will be a PHRF machine/ORR mediocre.

Beautiful boat.

1.135!?? surely too high. I agree though, beautiful boat - the wheel looks terrific., the 109 always looked unnaturally high.

#57 X-taze

X-taze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:40 PM

New?

Yeah, a J that does not look as a 25 years old design ... just 15 ... brand new indeed...

May be, one day, we will see a J that is looking "new" ... may be ...

#58 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,339 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:41 PM

Beautiful boat.

1.135!?? surely too high. I agree though, beautiful boat - the wheel looks terrific., the 109 always looked unnaturally high.

it feels that way too... especially if you're short...

#59 golfinaspen

golfinaspen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:19 PM

The shot of the boat reaching reveals a hull form that cannot escape from its quarterwave - stuck in the trough. Slow in a breeze.

#60 Yaz

Yaz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

The boat looks great. Well done.

We'll have to see how fast it is, but this most definitely is not just "more of the same".

If you naysaying turds didn't know this was a J Boat you'd be creaming your shorts.

#61 Greenflash

Greenflash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

sigh..zzzzzzzz

#62 InNeedOfSomeRestraint

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:43 AM

Boat looks great, looks like a winner to me. Besides the "J Hater Nation" that is sailing anarchy, I think the number of hulls already ordered is a true testament to J Boat's ability to make a great boat, don't think the new sydney 37 will be able to match it's numbers in sales. That being said i am a little disapointed that the finished product wasn't the radical change in direction for J Boats that many people were expecting. I thought they would step out of their comfort zone and actually produce a hardcore, lightweight, T-bulb keel racer but it ended up being another 36ft cruiser/racer in their lineup. The 111 is too similar to the 109 and they will cannibalize each other's sales.

This is a very valid point and you're onto something. J/ tried too hard to get the crossover of cruising and racing when they should really decide on one and do it well. Case in point: The J/35 and J/35c. One was purely raceable and the other was purely cruisable.

I honestly find myself hoping that their insisting that it should be a rocket are true but at the same time they're trying much too hard to hook people on the "versatility" of the boat. In the end, I doubt that it will be any more enjoyable to spend time on than a J/105 or a Farr 30 and you will be confronted with the reality that while you COULD weekend on the boat ... would you really want to?

#63 Ballast Technician

Ballast Technician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:44 AM

Not really sure that's the boat to take for a serious offshore race is it? And sure, $300k might get it on the starting line, but we'll see.

So the big question now (if it's such a great example of the boat people want - and cheap too)... How many sold?

I love those boats as much as anyone, but it's extremely hard to get them to market. That's reality. The segment between production racer/cruisers (J/111, SC37, Sydney 37, X-35, X-treme 37, T-34, ...) and racing custom designs from Ker/Farr/Corby/Mills/Bakewell-White is very small. Many have tried; 1D35, Farr 11s, Heiner 38, Ker 11.5 (now reincarnated as Ker 40 after they closed down after building one boat), Max Fun 35, ... Not many good examples in the last 30 years besides Melges and Farr.

And for a company like J/boats, in this kind of economy, trying to do a new J/125 or compete with the Melges 32 wasn't really an option.

But I guess there are plenty of choice for those who need (and are willing to pay for) more performance.

Fixed it for you. Otherwise mostly agree - as I had mentioned way earlier in this thread, J/Boats are great at serving the mainstream market. But with most of the people on this site not exactly being mainstream, you will this to be a somewhat tougher crowd...

#64 trilander

trilander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Boating, Traveling, Surfing, Frisbee Golf, Flying, Reading,

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:22 AM

We have owned 3 J boats.

First I grew up on a 24 tied to a dock from aged 4-14. It was a lot of fun and we even planed it out with the Chute up on the right days. WE swam, played and spent time as a family most importantly.

We got a 22 and raced that for a few years and then ended up with a 27. I also sailed extensively on a 29 and some on a racy 35. The boats are built well and race well. They are great to take the friends out on for a beer sail/lesson too. They always look good sailing upwind compared to many other brands I see on the water. Problem is they now are expensive and there are too many different designs across the family (this particular model will be a winner judging from the boats sold) Problem I have is who has the money or time to drag around 9,000 lbs or more to the BIG races. Clearly the future of one designs is towable behind a V-6 or hybrid? In the meantime my sailing family is WET for a 30+ farrier tri (or something else with three hulls that hauls ass and has a retractable board). For the same money as this J you could really trick out (carbon parts galore) a larger Farrier design with all the goodies. That is the future there. Blow past the fleet of 111's with your beer upright and half the crew. Later be found on the inside of the reef pulled up to some white sanded spit in paradise. I can't stand trying to explore exotic beaches from 7.5-9 ft keel depths.

J boat aint knocking you but my future wet dream has three hulls and kids on the tramps! I would love to commission a new Farrier 33 or something similar before epoxy and fuel prices run wild again.

#65 ragbag

ragbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:25 AM

Is it faster than existing 35-40ft IRC designs 40? Unlikely.

You have got to be kidding. IRC is 6-7 kts upwind and 6-7 kts down wind. The 111 will do a horizon job on these boats down wind.

#66 Chaise Lounge

Chaise Lounge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:sailing! and taking photographs

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:36 AM

Holy cow, how friggin in-hauled is that jib - what's the setup they're using? The jib clew HAS to be high to clear the cabin top. Otherwise the foot can't scrape the deck cuz it's a furler sail - no end plate effect here boys.

As someone said earler, they went with a coachroof which looks too high - I know why but they made a lot of consessions.

to my eye the upwind pic doesn't look that impressive. Granted it's not an Audi-Med TP52 but it looks plodding. We'll see when it hits these shores.

Can you adjust the backstay easily or did they go for the dumbed down, lowest common demoninator hard-to-adjust handle at the back model?

you mean this??? Does not seem right to me?

anyone????.....

inhaul.jpg

#67 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,407 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:31 AM

anyone????.....

inhaul.jpg

That jib is cut with a clew way too high. It is fine for the jib to be kissing the coach roof when max inhauled (actually ideal)

#68 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,407 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:33 AM

Is it faster than existing 35-40ft IRC designs 40? Unlikely.

You have got to be kidding. IRC is 6-7 kts upwind and 6-7 kts down wind. The 111 will do a horizon job on these boats down wind.

I hope you are right. From the pics it appears that is is digging quite the hole in the water and it remains to be seen how much of a blow it will take to make it brake free = I could be way off but my guess is something in the 25knot range.

#69 Tranquilo

Tranquilo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:02 AM

Love it, fugly windows, fucked up sails, too much white, wrong this and that and all. I bet it sails better then my boat and I want one.

#70 Superkilt

Superkilt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Very small rocks! Churches! A duck!

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:12 AM

So many anti-J responses, but I confess I have sung that gospel more than once - particularly with the 105. But, have you nay-sayers sailed a a 125? The point is, the fact that it is a "J" is not the deciding factor, but the fact that their "sucessful" boats are just not that fun to sail - and I am speaking from a high-performance perspective.

If indeed this 111 design is a go-fast design and not adhering to IRC (or whatever, for that matter), then they'll have a winner and it's resale value in 10 years will blow away the 122's because it's just more fun. As an aside, I wish J boats could get their pricing under control.

#71 ragbag

ragbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:37 AM

That being said i am a little disapointed that the finished product wasn't the radical change in direction for J Boats that many people were expecting. I thought they would step out of their comfort zone and actually produce a hardcore, lightweight, T-bulb keel racer but it ended up being another 36ft cruiser/racer in their lineup.

J Boats did that back in 1998 with the J/90 and J/125. Hard-core, no compromises, pure. They sold 6 90s, and, what 12 125s? The Mrs. doesn't approve. These boats are still super cool (12 years later the J/125 is still winning big out there) but you will starve to death trying to keep a sail boat business afloat. For all our rhetoric, when it comes down to putting up real money, few of us want a boat that's a soaking wet, white-knuckle ride all the time.

#72 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:15 AM

Beautiful boat.

Polaris is anti-IRC so throwing out a ridiculous number is part of his agenda. A J/122 rates 1.09. We can wait for the Rating Office but something around 1.04 ?

#73 BigSquid

BigSquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:14 AM

What the J111 has going for it is the dealer network and repeat buyers. Sad to see this knock off of the SC37 presell 30 hulls if this is true. The SC37 already tried to do too much (being trailerable) but at least the SC37 is looking forward. The J111 has a whiff of fresh thinking but its real appeal is to all the J repeat customers.

#74 jolly

jolly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

Beautiful boat.

J Boats claim that it will rate at 1.100 on IRC, so a smidgeon more than an A40.....mmmmm......will it be quicker than the A, or the summit 35 that it will give time to?

so it doesn't sound like it is designed for IRC (admittedly as J Boats have always said).

thoughts on the pics:
  • how do those jib battens work on a furler?
  • i thought the furler was going to be flush - ish for more jib area. that looks like a standard furler
  • agree on the in-haulers, someone is overdoing that bit of trim by the look of it
  • agree backstay should be capable of being more easily adjusted by main trimmer
  • it does look heavy in the water to me. do you think they had all the factory staff down below as well?
  • visually it looks like it needs a hull colour to be "a looker". metallic silver?
  • like the pole length.....

#75 sailforbeer

sailforbeer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

Beautiful boat.

Polaris is anti-IRC so throwing out a ridiculous number is part of his agenda. A J/122 rates 1.09. We can wait for the Rating Office but something around 1.04 ?

1.04? You must be kidding. The specs say the boat will weigh around 9000 pounds. V-berth optional. Short overhangs. 130m2 kite. Polaris is high but you are very low. TCC will be 1.1x -- I'd guess 1.118 just to throw a number out.

And then lots of those 30 pre-sales will evaporate. Because if hull 20 or so won't splash until next year as said in another thread, OD will take far too long to materialize and this boat is DOA in IRC.

There must be a trial certificate somewhere. This thing has been in development for almost a year and no clue what the trial was? What does that tell you?

#76 Dr Kommo

Dr Kommo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Sports Boat racing, Cruising (off shore).

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

Now that's what I call a boat! Pity I can't afford to run a 50hp 4 stroke outboard for the weekend.

#77 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

Way to plasticky looking for that kind of money.

Santa cruz 37 looks way better anyway.

#78 Slam Matt

Slam Matt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

Looks a bit heavy in the water with it's ass dragging a lot! Doesn't look so good to me!

#79 dinghydock

dinghydock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

I will pre-empt this by stating that I am J boat dealer!

I love all the couch commentary from people who haven't even sailed one yet! I called this morning and there are now 32 boats pre-sold! That is more than double the amount of J/105's that were presold when it was released and they are still in production with over 600 boats out sailing! Not sure if all of these are previous J-owners. My client presently owns a J/105.

I think it was a tough decision to release a new boat in the same size range as a current production model. Time will tell if this was a wise choice. People are knocking the price but I think it is priced competetively with it's competition in the market place. Again, time will tell but selling 32 boats in an extremely down economy shows a lot of faith in Rod, Al and the rest of the company that you do not see going on anywhere else in this size range at this time! Poo poo it if you will but this is going to be a successfull boat.

I will be sailing the boat boat on the 12th and 13th of this month. I will come back and let you know my opinion of the boat's actual sailing abilities then. Until then I only have an opinion based on the history of the company, it's products (over 14,000 built) and what I have seen by visiting the factory during the boat's production. Anyone else that has better first hand experience sailing on the boat or against it should speak up and give a real opinion about this boat.

I await the post bashing....

#80 dudewood

dudewood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

Nice looking boat. I'll take one. And when I say "take" I mean "steal" as there would be no other way for me to get one.

I'm not an engineer or designer, and I am sure there are plenty of people who THINK that they are and will say something about my post..... but to me, the main looks kinda small for the size of the boat. Maybe it is just a optical illusion or something as I have not seen the design specs and compared it to other similar sized boats or other past J-boat designs.

#81 Alec's Left Nut

Alec's Left Nut

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

I love all the couch commentary from people who haven't even sailed one yet! I called this morning and there are now 32 boats pre-sold! That is more than double the amount of J/105's that were presold when it was released and they are still in production with over 600 boats out sailing! Not sure if all of these are previous J-owners. My client presently owns a J/105.

I think it was a tough decision to release a new boat in the same size range as a current production model. Time will tell if this was a wise choice. People are knocking the price but I think it is priced competetively with it's competition in the market place. Again, time will tell but selling 32 boats in an extremely down economy shows a lot of faith in Rod, Al and the rest of the company that you do not see going on anywhere else in this size range at this time! Poo poo it if you will but this is going to be a successfull boat.

I will be sailing the boat boat on the 12th and 13th of this month. I will come back and let you know my opinion of the boat's actual sailing abilities then. Until then I only have an opinion based on the history of the company, it's products (over 14,000 built) and what I have seen by visiting the factory during the boat's production. Anyone else that has better first hand experience sailing on the boat or against it should speak up and give a real opinion about this boat.

No offense but I can see why you're a boat salesman and not a rocket scientist. To discount performance opinions with sales figures wouldn't even fly in high-school debating mate, it's not the same topic. Lada's are slow but people bought 'em.

Maybe about 10 people on the planet have sailed a J111 granted but I have faith there are lots of experienced nerds on the site who crunch key performance indicators (SA/Displ, chute size, upwind SA, LWL, BWL, draft, disp:ballast, etc.) and current J-Boat owners who can do some reasonable extrapolation of this coupled with the pictures they saw. I know that's what I did. It was light airs and I agree the boat a) sits quite low in the water compared to the out-of-water shots, and b ) didn't look like it had long legs.

They're predictions, just like baseball, we've seen the team on paper, it's now spring training, it looks slow and overweight and not especially high performing, do we think it'll win the world series like we're led to believe in the press? Excuse us for having an opinion.

Lastly luck you that you get to sail one, but what the fuck else are you going to say about it besides the obvious? Your wife will leave you if you don't make your sales target.

#82 icepack

icepack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

Great design - ye, it looks a bit plastiki, but overall, I think it is cooler than the 105 ... they need to bring the price down and stop building 105s in order for this to really take the place ...

#83 BIAM

BIAM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

No offense but ..... Excuse us for having an opinion.

Opinions are like assholes.....

anyway, seems that the only opinions that really count are the 32 orders with cash down....rest is just bullshit...

how many other builders have orders in hand for 32 brand new quarter million dollar boats? hard pressed to come up with any except maybe melges...

#84 Alec's Left Nut

Alec's Left Nut

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

Looks like you failed high-school debating as well. The opinions of the buyers are just opinions, are they right? Not many people on this site have a Lamborghini but I'm sure you could put together a few words on one.

I think it's refreshing some sane heads are providing a counterpoint to the marketing hyperbowl. I worry that it won't live up to the promise, which means there won't be many around my local sailing area, which means there won't be owners looking for crew, which means I'll have to keep sailing on the very inferiour Farr product I'm already on. Maybe that's not so bad.

#85 8:07 to New Haven

8:07 to New Haven

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

No offense but I can see why you're a boat salesman and not a rocket scientist. To discount performance opinions with sales figures wouldn't even fly in high-school debating mate, it's not the same topic. Lada's are slow but people bought 'em.

Maybe about 10 people on the planet have sailed a J111 granted but I have faith there are lots of experienced nerds on the site who crunch key performance indicators (SA/Displ, chute size, upwind SA, LWL, BWL, draft, disp:ballast, etc.) and current J-Boat owners who can do some reasonable extrapolation of this coupled with the pictures they saw. I know that's what I did. It was light airs and I agree the boat a) sits quite low in the water compared to the out-of-water shots, and b ) didn't look like it had long legs.

They're predictions, just like baseball, we've seen the team on paper, it's now spring training, it looks slow and overweight and not especially high performing, do we think it'll win the world series like we're led to believe in the press? Excuse us for having an opinion.

Lastly luck you that you get to sail one, but what the fuck else are you going to say about it besides the obvious? Your wife will leave you if you don't make your sales target.

Agree with the bulk of the 'constructive' critique here. One thing to note is that every shot was taken from the leeward side, so its going to appear settled in the water.

#86 dinghydock

dinghydock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

No offense taken but my wife has a knee aimed at your left nut for calling her shallow! Good luck!

#87 crosswave1

crosswave1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

Interesting looking design with inevitable features that can look like being borrowed from others .. I am surprised by all the negativity. JBoats charges more for a branded product that holds value longer than many others .. No different than any other "branded product" one would purchase. If one does like that, go buy a used no-name or discarded one-off, update same, or go custom. If you do not believe this post, take a look at Swan, Oyster, SC52, X-Boats, etc.

Race records do prove that JBoats have dominated more PHRF events with placed finishes more than any other design in category. Yes I am a past JBoats owner. To me IRC is no different than CCA, MHS, IOR, IMS, et al. They have all come and gone. PHRF dominates the non-one-design categories of our sport.

Concerning the remark that clearly was aimed at safety, no question that builder TPI was very negilgent in its engineering work on certain JBoats. History reveals they're engineering stank out the house on early J120s, some J105s, and even some J80s. Go sue them if you like. If you got the dough and feel like tilting at windmills, go ahead. It starts at $10,000 entry fee, climbs dramatically from there, and incurs notable angst.

Concerning the J111 coach roof, it offers headroom. If you strictly race, you may not want a JBoat which is an asset conceived to enable couple & family getaways plus "2nd home financing credit." If you do not like headroom, forget X-Boats, SCs, Swans, et al. If you don't like compromise boats, update some other chosen racer which will give you a first-hand discovery experience you won't get your dough back -- or go one-off custom -- for which again you lose $$$$.

Vintage boats are bought and sold used within their vintage. Buyers do not give you credit for the updates or "extra gear." Sorry. Concerning recessed helm wheels, seats' length, et al. -- its a matter again of design choices that suit cost-effective manufacture engineering as well as customer preferences in trading off costs. Recessing a helm wheel incurs more cost. Recessing a furling drum incurs more cost. Etc. If you want it, I bet JBopatswill let you have it -- with an extra optional charge.

If you have done a custom boat, one learns these trade-offs. The number$ climb very fast.

#88 LISBS

LISBS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

nice swim ladder

#89 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

I think the aesthetics would be improved with a contrasting color on the deck and a cove stripe. Probably good reason why they didn't want to take the time to do the extra masking on Hull #1. With those additions - or better yet, a nice Awlgrip job in Flag Blue with the aforementioned cove stripe - it would be a nice looking boat.

For a boat that's supposed to be cruise-able, there really isn't a lot of ventilation, is there? I'm also wondering if they have the optional removable bow roller, like the J/109. That's a really nice feature for a racer/cruiser.

#90 barefoot children

barefoot children

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Carbon boats and carbon golf clubs

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

What's with that jib inhauler thingy? It's pulling the lead more aft than in, so meeds another padeye to get the lead angle right, unless I'm off track on it's intended function

#91 bshores

bshores

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

What's with that jib inhauler thingy? It's pulling the lead more aft than in, so meeds another padeye to get the lead angle right, unless I'm off track on it's intended function

Agreed, the entire jib setup looks fucked up and underpowered. Hopefully another sailmaker will get this sorted. Not sure why they choose to go with the above deck furler. It's supposed to be low-profile, but I'm not impressed.

A two-tone deck and carbon wheel (J122 Style) would definitely improve the asthetics for a 1st time approval.

Hopefully they'll post some downwind shots in 20knts+ to show off all this planing capability that's been hyped.

#92 dinghydock

dinghydock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

I think the aesthetics would be improved with a contrasting color on the deck and a cove stripe. Probably good reason why they didn't want to take the time to do the extra masking on Hull #1. With those additions - or better yet, a nice Awlgrip job in Flag Blue with the aforementioned cove stripe - it would be a nice looking boat.

For a boat that's supposed to be cruise-able, there really isn't a lot of ventilation, is there? I'm also wondering if they have the optional removable bow roller, like the J/109. That's a really nice feature for a racer/cruiser.

Options include contrasting non-skid as well as a cove stripes like on most J Boats. There is an option for opening ports on th eaft face of the cabin as well. As of last I heard, there isn't an option for a removable anchor roller but that could change.

Hull #1 is set up for the customer who ordered her. I am sure the others will have different options picked. Those looking to race more than cruise will probably not opt for quite of few of the options on the list.

#93 DEAD MONEY

DEAD MONEY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

I don't own a J-Boat but have always liked most of their boats. They are mostly very well built and designed Race boats. Go to any major Regatta and J-Boats has built more than any other builder there......1 million China man cannot be wrong (or something like that). Yes they are more $$ than similar boats but you get what you pay for.

In the last few years they have been developing their boats more Racer than cruiser. As for the IRC number only time/racing will tell if it can perform to the number.....my guess will be 1.129 and the PHRF number of an ID35 of 36 is gonna be REAL tough. I'd bet the ole Mumm 36 would win in an upwind leg (only to be creemed downhill). I would think a number around 56 would be fair. PHRF can give real gifts and impossible handicaps to J-Boats depending on where the boats start out

I like l look of the boat but HATE, yes HATE the Wheel......totally idiodic to have one on a small race boat. This is one of the BIG points that
I really don't like about J-Boat's......they try an put a wheel on almost every boat. I know why they do it but a true race boat should NOT have one at this size.

Good post Newbie....now show us your Wife's TiT's......laugh!!!

#94 Holding Tank

Holding Tank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

Boring as already stated but this kind of boat will sell to plenty of annapolitans, get raced a few times, and then sit around in some marina or boat yard unused like so many other boring boats in Annapolis... Whne was the last time any boat like this ever went crusing? Theres no way to put sunprotection on that cockpit and any children would likely be maimed by the mainsheet system. When will designers stop bullshitting us with this cruising crap?

#95 boatpimp

boatpimp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

They will stop selling people this bullshit not long after they stop buying it. Life is rarely about the facts, it is usually about the perception of the facts.

#96 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

anyone????.....

inhaul.jpg

What doesn't look right?

I am not a huge fan of primary tracks on the wide side of sheeting angles, relying on inhaulers for point mode, but it is a valid, effective way to get the job done.

#97 ragbag

ragbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

People are knocking the price but I think it is priced competetively with it's competition in the market place.

SC Yachts has a plastic (non-rcarbon) version of their 37 at almost exactly the same price point. People here assert things but offer no evidence. As the old saying goes, those who assert without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

#98 bshores

bshores

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

anyone????.....

inhaul.jpg

What doesn't look right?

I am not a huge fan of primary tracks on the wide side of sheeting angles, relying on inhaulers for point mode, but it is a valid, effective way to get the job done.

The inhaulers are set up correctly, it's the cut/shape of the jib that's messed up. The clew should be about a foot lower and almost up against the cabinhouse. It's possible that this is their heavy air jib, but it still looks fugly.

#99 Chaise Lounge

Chaise Lounge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:sailing! and taking photographs

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

anyone????.....

inhaul.jpg

What doesn't look right?

Does that jib sheet in hauler look right? Coming at that angle out a deck organizer? Thats what I was asking about. Is that how inhaulers are usually run?

#100 DEAD MONEY

DEAD MONEY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Boring as already stated but this kind of boat will sell to plenty of annapolitans, get raced a few times, and then sit around in some marina or boat yard unused like so many other boring boats in Annapolis... Whne was the last time any boat like this ever went crusing? Theres no way to put sunprotection on that cockpit and any children would likely be maimed by the mainsheet system. When will designers stop bullshitting us with this cruising crap?

Are you kidding ?? Who in their right mind Buys a "Race" boat and wants a fuckin sunprotection dragging in the breeze ??? If you want that go buy an Island Packard.....this is being marketed as a Race Boat so everything is light and spartan below. There is gonna be NO netting the whole boat for Children.....the only Child allowed on this boat is the owner after he losses in IRC....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users