25 replies to this topic

#1 gimmee

gimmee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:47 AM

Anyone know what the new J111 will cost and what its IRC number will be ? I'm thinking of buying an Elan 35 and they are good value for $130,000. What would you choose ?

#2 jolly

jolly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:11 AM

are you being a bit "ironic" and trying to set a trap for someone?

#3 gimmee

gimmee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:24 AM

You must be a "seppo" ! The word "ironic" dosn't fit here. Just looking for a new boat with a number around 1.100

#4 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:31 AM

Try moronic then :lol:

#5 jolly

jolly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:35 AM

OK. I presume you mean the new Elan 350?

lets start with the obvious stuff.......the 111 is one foot longer.

If the Elan is USD 130, then that makes it half the price of the J111........ Is cost an issue?

Delivery time will be longer on the J boats as they are up to hull order 30 ish, and are quoting mid 2011 for the later orders.

The J111 will rate around 1.100 apparently. Not sure where the 350 rates, but it should be much lower, say no more than 1.020.

the Elan will probably perform to its rating better than the 111 will would be my guess. Is it important if you win or not?

the J Boat will hold its value better.

other options for you:

A35, Summit 35, J109, X35, First 35, Corby 36

there. all finished. what's a "seppo"?

#6 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:18 AM

Chalk and Cheese

Very different boats and different price points (also new vs used), the J will be much more interesting to sail and will kill the Elan on a passage race, the Elan a better cruiser and probably win in medium conditions on a W/L under IRC

#7 ozzy58

ozzy58

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:53 AM

septic tank

#8 gimmee

gimmee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

If the Elan is USD 130, then that makes it half the price of the J111........ Is cost an issue?

Delivery time will be longer on the J boats as they are up to hull order 30 ish, and are quoting mid 2011 for the later orders.

The J111 will rate around 1.100 apparently. Not sure where the 350 rates, but it should be much lower, say no more than 1.020.

the Elan will probably perform to its rating better than the 111 will would be my guess. Is it important if you win or not?

other options for you:

Thanks jolly you have been most helpful. It looks like the Elan then as I plan to get into Cruising Class at our next Samui Regatta and my biggest enemies are the boys from Oz from the Sydney CYCA and Cronulla. Seppo is Ozspeak for septic tank thus a Yank

#9 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

Thanks jolly you have been most helpful. It looks like the Elan then as I plan to get into Cruising Class at our next Samui Regatta and my biggest enemies are the boys from Oz from the Sydney CYCA and Cronulla. Seppo is Ozspeak for septic tank thus a Yank

Forgive me but that's aiming pretty low beating up on the cruisers, the Elan 410 in Singapore races IRC1 against Mumm 30, Sydney 40, Arch 35 etc

The Elan actually looks pretty nice, twin wheels seems overkill, but with orange keel and rudder it must be fast ! Probably more cruisey than a J109 which is an obvious proven IRC winner.

Posted Image

#10 jolly

jolly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

other options for you:

Ok got, it. Aussie rhyming slang eh? would you adam and eve it?

I'll let you off.....I'm a Pom......you know, the people who are good at cricket!!

I'd agree with jambalaya.....don't aim too low, an Elan will be fine in IRC against racers in the TCC 1.000 to 1.100.....but it's a very different boat to a 111, hence my first comment here, but above all, get out on the water and have fun.

#11 jolly

jolly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

Anyone know what the new J111 will cost and what its IRC number will be ? I'm thinking of buying an Elan 35 and they are good value for $130,000. What would you choose ?

........and cost of J111 is around US$230,000 base boat leaving factory in US. You then need to add on cost of any options, instruments, shipping, commissioning and sails.

#12 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

The Elan costs roughly the same as the J111 - base price is Aussie $ is 251,500 which is USD 230,000 - FX conversion

Elan Review BTW they are trimming that kite like cruisers !

#13 jolly

jolly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

The Elan costs roughly the same as the J111 - base price is Aussie $ is 251,500 which is USD 230,000 - FX conversion

maybe he was thinking sterling 130k? If they are the same cost I think I know where I'd put my money between the two.....

#14 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

The sprit on that thing is sad, sad, sad. Looks like the cock on a mosquito.

DG

#15 jerseyguy

jerseyguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

"Looks like the cock on a mosquito."

Think Mrs. Mosquito is happy?

:D

#16 dickie greenleaf

dickie greenleaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

"Looks like the cock on a mosquito."

Think Mrs. Mosquito is happy?

:D

I would say 'no', she's not. It's all relative, and that skeeter's got a tiny little prick.

Seriously though, the sprit is way too tiny on that thing... should be double the size.

DG

#17 bliss_sailor

bliss_sailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, ice boating, xc skiing

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

It seems that our local sailing guru Dave Irish went for the J/111
(from his website: www.irishboatshop.com):

This fall, Dave Irish and Michael Esposito visited Newport, RI to test sail the new J-111, a 36' sailboat that Irish Boat Shop has on order. They sailed two days in pleasant weather in Newport harbor, Narraganset Bay, and out into the ocean. Dave offers his perspectives and reactions to the boat:

"The J-111 is a different kind of J-boat. It has a tall carbon rig and relatively more sail area in relation to its displacement. The interior is simple, comfortable, and roomy, but not elaborate. The galley is basic with a stove, sink, and ice box. The head forward has full privacy, and there is an aft-located sit down navigation station with room for what is needed. Full headroom in the boat feels great.

But to a sailor who likes going offshore and often races, there are some characteristics of the J-111 that greatly please me. First, I am ready for wheel steering in a boat of this size, but I am quite fussy about the wheel arrangement. The gearing or ratio must be quick, with no wheel winding! If my hand is on the top of the wheel and I move it to the right, the bow pulpit should move to the right with it. As well, the diameter of the wheel should provide comfortable hand height when standing behind or towards the sides, and to allow you to steer upwind while sitting outboard and even straddling the wheel with small vertical wheel movements. And of course the rudder has to be up to the job, deep and well designed to provide solid control and direct response. The J-111 rates a 10 on each of these properties.

Second, the rig is all important for sailing pleasure and racing success. The days of overlapping genoas on short rigs are largely gone. Better than big overlapping genoa jobs for power is the taller rig, preferably carbon, with easy to trim jibs that don't overlap the mast. Combine that with today's jib roller furling equipment and we get great performance and simple sail management. The J-111 has a tall carbon mast from Hall Spars which utilizes some whiz-bang, nano- technology to give great strength and stiffness with a small profile. The mast has a clever track, which will accept a bolt rope, round slugs, or substantial cars. I opt for the cars, with the mainsail left on the boom, all ready to hoist, low friction, and simple and safe for short-handed or single-handed sailing. As well, with luff cars, reefing is both simple and safe. To raise the sail, take off the sail cover, snap on the halyard, hoist, and trim—that's it!!! And reversing the process after a sail is as simple- just flake the sail on the boom with the luff supported by the cars and put on the sail cover. This boat is well suited for single-handed and short-handed sailing, both favorites of mine.

And third, Asymmetrical spinnakers set on a sprit have matured nicely. In the early days of this arrangement I was unconvinced. Sure, sail handling was easy and reaching was good, but downwind left something to be desired. To keep power in the sail, we had to reach up to a "hotter" angle, and gave away the ability to sail deep. Probably the biggest change has been the evolution in sail shape to powerful heads on the sails that will lift or roll the sail out to weather, and give a downwind shape similar to a symmetrical spinnaker. As well, a light and easily driven hull that will get up and go makes downwind sailing with A-sails the fun way to go, simpler to manage and potentially faster and more fun to sail. With no spinnaker pole, no mast track and eye, no after-guys, no topping lift, and just one string to handle in a jibe, the parts count went way down!

The first three items are big, but of course there are many reasons to like this boat including : the boom ends at a point forward of the wheel and is 6' above the cockpit floor to minimize the worrisome possibilities of a whack on the head for skipper or crew; the powerful 3 cylinder engine utilizes a sail drive for smooth and quiet propulsion and precise handling and docking; and the cabin house is the right height so that when the helmsman sits at the helm, he or she looks over the cabintop at boats and water, not into the side of the cabin or the foot of an overlapping jib.

Alan and Jeff Johnstone have designed and built this boat just for me!!! Sailing the boat I felt completely at home and comfortable and happy. I can hardly wait for spring to start the next chapter in my sailing life on J-111 hull #15."

David Irish

#18 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

Any word on when his expected delivery date is?

#19 bliss_sailor

bliss_sailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, ice boating, xc skiing

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

Any word on when his expected delivery date is?

No idea.

I'm generally out sailing once the mini-bergs melt around here - sometime in April.

So I'll keep my sailing eyes peeled. Maybe get a spy photo as it flashes by.

#20 goblew

goblew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Elan 350 at the London Boat Show. Looked pretty good from the outside. Interior was a bit crowded for my taste.
Base price 107K GBP (~$160K USD)

Plus VAT, Delivery, Commissioning 139K GBP (~$200K USD),plus whatever options.
Price may be different in US with exchange rates, etal.

#21 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

You must be a "seppo" ! The word "ironic" dosn't fit here. Just looking for a new boat with a number around 1.100

An (accurate) English lesson from an Aussie? Fuck me, the world has come to an end...

#22 jolly

jolly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:39 AM

An (accurate) English lesson from an Aussie? Fuck me, the world has come to an end...

one thing we English can take is lessons in our mother tongue.

what we cannot abide however is losing 60% of our cricket test matches...... by more than an innings ......on home turf......and to our arch enemies.

now that truly would be painful.

#23 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:01 AM

So you're suggesting we should import more South Africans to play for us?

#24 The Main Man

The Main Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

Nah, they're ours. Keep going with the Pakistanis! :P

#25 jolly

jolly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:24 AM

you mean like Wessels? ......

BTW I think we need to take this to cricket anarchy before the police arrive!

#26 nicelife

nicelife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:sailing, travelling

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:48 AM

you mean like Wessels? ......

BTW I think we need to take this to cricket anarchy before the police arrive!

so hurry up, there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users