Neptune Regatta NOR

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: The Neptune Regatta (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to participate in the world's first equator sprint race?

1. Yes (13 votes [92.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 92.86%

2. No (1 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Which is the most appealing part of the Neptune Regatta

1. Sailing through virgin waters (6 votes [17.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

2. Camping on uninhabited white coral sand beaches (6 votes [17.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

3. Beach Parties (9 votes [25.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

4. Participating the the world's first equator sprint race (9 votes [25.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

5. Viewing both the northern and southern hemisphere constellations with no light pollution (5 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bar Talk

Bar Talk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with sailing and racing.

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:24 AM

Introducing the Neptune Regatta which Incorporates ZERO - THE RACE, the world's only equator sprint race.

Please take a moment to view the website www.neptune-regatta.com for further information.

Posted Image

Attached Files

#2 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:21 AM

Right then folks, as far as we know there hasn't been a regatta that's been specifically designed to take you to the equator... so we've created one.

Maritime countries straddling the equator are (westabout from the Prime Meridian) Sao Tome & Principe, Gabon, Somalia, Maldives, Indonesia, Kiribati, Ecuador & Brazil,

Sao Tome & Principe - I'm a Chartered Surveyor and a racing navigator and I admit even I had to Google that one! To be fair, it is ISAF recognised and we've all seen 'STP' sails at out local regattas right? No? OK: Next!
Gambon - ah yes, that well renouned African yachting nation. No?
Somalia - Next!
Maldives - now you're talking but getting there... from anywhere is a PITA for crew, let alone yacht deliveries
Indonesia - hold on to that one for a minute...
Kiribati - see Maldives above
Ecuador - another well known and globally active sailing nation... not
Brazil - frankly we were a bit surprised we couldn't find any Brazilian equator related regattas but what the heck... means we're first B)

So then... Indonesia...

Our regatta will be based out of Nongsa Point Marina on the island of Batam (Google Earth it), just 12nm SSE of Singapore's Changi airport which has direct flights to just about everywhere... there's even a non-stop flight to NYC for cryin' out loud.

Security isn't likely to be a problem... especially if an Indonesian Navy gunboat is at one end of the finish line.

Have a flick through the website.

And before anyone starts ranting about buying an ad... we're thinking bigger than that and will be in touch with Clean real soon.

#3 Father Ted

Father Ted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:48 AM

Ferret,

Looks good, but why not go to Clean up front and get it on the Front Page of Anarchy!!

The rest is cool..

FT

#4 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:35 AM

Looks great, hope you have enough time to organize and pull it off.

Any heads up on available charters?

#5 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

If you're going to offer a 0 degrees latitude regatta, why not do it properly and go AROUND THE WORLD (in the footsteps of Mike Horn)

(Only joking, hope you have a good regatta). Posted Image

#6 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:47 AM

Any heads up on available charters?

I'm not one to over promise and under deliver but yes there are limited chater opportunities. Drop a note to info@neptune-regatta.com and we'll see what we can do.

#7 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:00 AM

Your website is as clear as mud.

#8 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to far away sailing venues and terrorizing the locals!

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:53 AM

Ferret,

Looks good, but why not go to Clean up front and get it on the Front Page of Anarchy!!

because nobody here knows how to get to the mystical "front page" that you speak of. It's like a unicorn, everybody has heard of them, but nobody has actually see one.

#9 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

Whadayawannaknow?

#10 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:18 AM

Second recce trip this weekend. This time with PRO, Indo Navy rep and Regional Tourism Minister chappie in tow.

Updates on our Facebook page early next week.

#11 queen of the bow

queen of the bow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:44 AM

USER POLL: Is Legal Eagle a Sockpuppet?

its a new world of sailing anarchy, cull, cull, cull!

#12 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:58 AM

Ooops?? were did he gooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#13 Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:12 AM

USER POLL: Is Legal Eagle a Sockpuppet?

its a new world of sailing anarchy, cull, cull, cull!

The answer to your question would be dependent on your own definition of the term 'Sock Puppet'.

I have taken a position on a number of threads which is designed to expose those behind a grave wrongdoing. In so doing, I have posted certain allegations which are supported by substantive fact. I have posted in my profile factual information which I have elected to share. For certain people, that information is sufficient to identify me.

You on the other hand young lady, have posted in your profile
a date of birth and a location which are not factual. You may have a very good reason for this, not least would be a desire to avoid the very personal attacks we have seen launched against those who post in there own name.

I wish you the compliments of the season.

#14 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:22 AM

Dawg or UnderDawg please flick this Legal Eagle asshole. He is destroying a thread about a worthwhile sailing event (sailing, remember that?) and turning it into another episode of philipino monkey shit flinging. Fuck it.

And Merry Xmas to all!

#15 Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:16 AM

Dawg or UnderDawg please flick this Legal Eagle asshole. He is destroying a thread about a worthwhile sailing event (sailing, remember that?) and turning it into another episode of philipino monkey shit flinging. Fuck it.

And Merry Xmas to all!

Please refer to my post in what would now appear to be the appropriate thread;

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=117010&st=100

#16 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,142 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:12 AM

LE, why not just delete ALL your posts in this thread and start again.

2 things I'll mention.

1 Do not even think about buying any form of illicit drug in Batam. It will be a sting and you will go to gaol.

2 I got nothing for Feb. Anybody short a body? Not fit enough for foredeck anymore, not strong enough for pit or sewer. Fluent Bahasa Indo....

#17 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:19 AM

2 I got nothing for Feb. Anybody short a body? Not fit enough for foredeck anymore, not strong enough for pit or sewer. Fluent Bahasa Indo....

May have... just been speaking to an owner who's looking to enter his 37footer but is shorthanded. PM me a bit of a "CV" that I can pass on to him.

#18 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,142 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:22 AM

Great, I'll get something togreher. Thanks

#19 Arch Nemesis

Arch Nemesis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:Pursuing my role as the goddess of indignation against, and retribution for, evil deeds and undeserved good fortune.

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:14 AM

LE, why not just delete ALL your posts in this thread and start again.

2 things I'll mention.

1 Do not even think about buying any form of illicit drug in Batam. It will be a sting and you will go to gaol.

Seems he's got your panties all bunched up Grumps!

#20 punter

punter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:06 AM

May have... just been speaking to an owner who's looking to enter his 37footer but is shorthanded. PM me a bit of a "CV" that I can pass on to him.

Is Windsikher still looking for crew for Straits Regatta? I know, wrong regatta, but it is the week before and based from same marina and think they were still short before xmas.

#21 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

Is Windsikher still looking for crew

As of last week I believe so yes. Haven't seent the turbaned one over the weekend.

#22 Tequila McIngbird

Tequila McIngbird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Winning the Pulitzer Prize

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:44 AM

And Merry Xmas to all!

Eloquently put Pogen.

Looking through, only offensive post I see here is yours.

Pretty sure you just contributed a whole heap to this "worthwhile sailing event" (sailing, remember that?)

#23 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:09 AM

(sailing, remember that?)

Sure do.

We're chatting the the skippers that have already signed up to ensure everyone understand the OSR Cat3 Regs that are being applied to the Neptune (as they are for the Raja Muda).

I've been working through the tidal data... there's not much readily available and I've had to so back to Admiralty (not-so-)Simple Harmonic Method of Tidal Prediction data to calculate what's available.

What with the seasonal current introduced by the NE Monsoon there will be ~4kn southerly current overnight between Batam and Bintan and a good 2.5kn northerly current on the nose as boats head south during the day. Gonna be a nice challenge for the navigators. :)

Attached Files

#24 Cavalier

Cavalier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

I've sailed through that area and it's nothing short of beautiful.

Good luck to you guys,

#25 Bar Talk

Bar Talk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:38 PM

I've sailed through that area and it's nothing short of beautiful.

Good luck to you guys,

Thanks Cavalier,

We've tried to plan and imagine as many contingencies as we can. Naturally we will have some unforeseen challenges but that's partly the point of participating. You are absolutely correct on the stunning untouched beauty which will reward those that make it. Here's a pic of the uninhabited island that we will be using as the southerly base. Hopefully you'll make it down in the future again:

Posted Image

#26 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:52 AM

So... how do you accomodate a fleet of yachties on an uninhabited island in the tropics?

You have 30 10-man (if you're gonna squash in, which ain't the plan) tents made specifically for the regatta.

...and just cos I know you're gonna ask...

yes, this has been crudely photoshopped and...
no, each tent does not come with a scantily clad sailor girl. She's there for a sense of scale and looks nicer than yours truly!

SIs will be published this week.

Attached Files

#27 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:28 AM

As promised the SIs have been published and the preparations are hotting up... in four weeks time we'll all be racing to the equator!

#28 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

Afternoon All.

We have a well campaigned Sydney40 entered who, thanks to back to back regattas and Chinese New Year is a little light on crew for the World's First Equator Regatta.

Wouldn't want my fellow Anarchists to miss out on the opportunity to take part, so if you're keen PM me.

Racing is from Tues 1st to Sat 5th Feb in Indonesia, a short ferry ride from Singapore's Changi Airport.

#29 Father Ted

Father Ted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:52 AM

Just back from the inaugural Neptune regatta and let me tell you this was a beauty. We've done most of the Asian (southern) events King's etc and this one takes the prize.
Kudo's to the organisers who put on the show and for those that missed this one first time round start planning now for next year - awesome!!!

#30 Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

The results ended up a bit close - 2 secs for the whole regatta......tight!

It must have been fun!

#31 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,659 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

send me a report please! clean@sailinganarchy.com

#32 Tequila McIngbird

Tequila McIngbird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Winning the Pulitzer Prize

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

Be careful what you ask for Clean.

Ferret's gonna threaten you with sailing a J24 if you're not careful.

#33 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Will get something to you but in the meantime have a look at the website's News page and our Facebook page to see what the asian yachting media and the Shellbacks themselves thought of it and feel free to plagerise if you need something sooner rather than later.

I'm obviously biased but it surpassed our own expectations...

No wind on the equator? Try a 12hour kite run down or a 12 and a half hour beat back up each in 15knots of steady breeze.

Getting bored of the same old sailing ground? Try some stunning tropical islands.

Know your local buoyage so well you don't even need a chart? Try the 'Cauldron' of overfalls and whirlpools that can give 2m seas in a dead calm, rocks that differ by hundreds of meters between Admiralty and local charts or squeezing through a poorly charted island passage in failing light to avoid an extra mile and a half....
Windsikher Navigator: "Whatever you do, DON'T come up"
Windsikher Helmsman: "Can I gybe?"
Windiskher Navigator: "NO! Do NOT gybe, whatever you do DON'T GYBE!!"
They got line honours.

Motor yachts AND stinkpots having fun together? Worked perfectly! ALL of them willingly assisted with regatta logistics in ferrying gear and personnel or hosting anchorage parties.

Singapore now boasts a six year old Shellback and her big sister was in tears on the last day cos it was all coming to a close.

Security? Pirates? The first yacht (M.Y. Something Special) approached the first overnight anchorage to be greeted with "...this is IndonesianWarship, IndonesianWarship, IndonesianWarship. You are entering a restricted zone."
Huh?
That'll be the 20mile exclusion zone they'd set up around us to keep everyone else out...
"Oh you with Neptune Regatta is it? Welcome!"

No accomodation? Build your own camp on an uninhabited island complete with a 60m long high water jetty to unload sampans from, BBQs for breakfast bacon butties... in the world's most populace muslim nation!... 10m long handmade beach bar with so much beer we honestly couldn't drink it all.

Not sure about the locals? The whole fishing village from the next island not only put in some serious hard graft to prepare the camp ground for us, but came over in all their finery to give us a cultural dance display and sing songs they'd written in our honour.

When heading home one of the motor yachts had engine trouble. No problem, two fishing boats towed them line astern 70nm at an aching 2.5-3knots... you do the math... and were happy to do so.

The only yacht to have any real trouble ran aground at the end of the last day trying to take a short cut into the marina where there ain't one. Plenty of folk on hand to assist so no biggy... and he was seen on Day 1 to have a bunch bananas hung from the bimini so go figure... :o

Just a Mom and Pop cruisey little excursion? In the IRC fleet, two yachts were tied going into the last race and that was decided by 1 second on corrrected (A35 over a Ker32), with a 13year old young lady grinding away at the winning (Men at Work) boat's spinnaker winch all day.

CLEAN, I wanna see YOU there next year matey... ;)

#34 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:52 AM

The results ended up a bit close - 2 secs for the whole regatta......tight!

It must have been fun!

Certainly was mate. You've got to join us next year... already drafting round and through the islands routes for next year. Have you popped your Pollywog cherry yet?

#35 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:03 AM

Thanks mate.

So then folks, you've seen the report so whadaya think?

#36 Bar Talk

Bar Talk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:17 AM

The 2012 NOR for the Neptune Regatta (race to the equator) is now out and we're happy to report that we have 20 boats already registered out of a maximum of 40 participant vessels. So 50% 6 months before race start at least pays for the beer :) please take a moment to check out the regatta site Neptune Regatta and also have a look at the chat on the Facebook page which has over 6,500 followers (not quite SA but we're trying:) Neptune Facebook Page. Thanks and we hope to bring a few more exciting races to the South East asian circuit in the future too. Oh and check out the posh brochure for the regatta: Posh Neptune Brochure

#37 Bar Talk

Bar Talk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

Posted Image

The 2012 Neptune is less than 4 weeks away - racing to the equator again...

#38 punter

punter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

Going to be a good one again. Can't do it this year unfortunately, but big recommend to anyone else.

#39 Bar Talk

Bar Talk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

if you wish to get a feel of the 2011 inaugural race to the equator, here's a video/slideshow. Sorry about the amateurism of it but we had bugger all money left so my teenage daughter was kind enough to put this together. But she did hate my choice of music as clearly my taste is 'ancient' tunes...

http://www.youtube.c...67?feature=mhee

#40 Ferret

Ferret

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

SIs finished today, Bar Talk will post them on the regatta website within a few hours.

#41 Bar Talk

Bar Talk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:02 AM

1326032565[/url]' post='3537590']
SIs finished today, Bar Talk will post them on the regatta website within a few hours.

SI's all neat and tidy for our Equatorial Skippers. Pick them up off Facebook too, https://www.facebook...Neptune.Regatta

#42 Bar Talk

Bar Talk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:31 AM

Here's the Vid for the 2012 Regatta, now with title sponsor: Mount Gay Rum 2012 Neptune Regatta

#43 Bar Talk

Bar Talk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:47 AM

The 2013 Mount Gay Rum Neptune Regatta Trailer is out (as always, it is much better with sound) - registration has begun for the 3rd annual race to the equator...

#44 Bar Talk

Bar Talk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

NOR for the 2013 Mount Gay Rum Neptune Regatta is out. Please view or download off the regatta website: 2013 Neptune NOR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users