• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ctownj30

ctownj30

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:36 PM

Not sure if this post should go here, or sport-boat anarchy (or cruising anarchy???) but looking for Holby Quest 30 owners.

Considering this boat for coastal distance racing, both crewed and 1 or 2 handed - with possibility of some Bermuda races.

Trying to get info on suitability for that purpose, the boat's strengths and weaknesses, what to look for in a used boat, upgrades, etc.

Anyone out there???

-djm

#2 nuttin honey

nuttin honey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

Not sure if this post should go here, or sport-boat anarchy (or cruising anarchy???) but looking for Holby Quest 30 owners.

Considering this boat for coastal distance racing, both crewed and 1 or 2 handed - with possibility of some Bermuda races.

Trying to get info on suitability for that purpose, the boat's strengths and weaknesses, what to look for in a used boat, upgrades, etc.

Anyone out there???

-djm

Contact me --- love the boat --- dirtyharryracing@gmail.com

#3 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:04 AM

In Northern California

33007 Wayne Lamprey Rhum Boogie Quest 33 CM IB PHRF=75

pretty active, did the Pac Cup 2010, nice boat. Not sure if he is an anarchist.

#4 Samba301

Samba301

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

Anyone out there???

-djm

I own hull #1. Just finished my first season with the boat and love it. Headed to Bermuda next June in the 1-2.

#5 Anson

Anson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:41 AM

CtownJ30,

I just listed our Quest 30 here in Sailing Anarachy's classifieds. Contact me through through the number or email listed and I would be happy to answer any questions and even put you in touch with some more impartial short-handed sailors for their opinion. In short though, the Quest 30 is considered the quintessential non-custom shortthanded boat. IF you are intereted I can provide pictures and arrange for you to see the boat here in Newport before we haul her in the next week or so.

Anson

P.S. I did my first double-handed race, the Faralon Race out of San Francisco, on a J30.

#6 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:13 PM

Don't own one but I've raced against them and got the 30-second tour of the Quest 33 that just did the Bermuda Race. I have serious lust for one. It has enough space to cruise-camp it with wife and kid and you can race it offshore without needing six people. What's not to love? For a while there were two in the SA classifieds, one in ATL and another with a twin-rudder setup (I think) being sold out of CT. Both were/are $85-95k which is not cheap but the next step up to a larger 'similar' platform is a Class 40 or some other very expensive beast.

#7 jacasailz

jacasailz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

we got one --- james.castellano@gmail.com if you have any specific questions.

#8 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:52 PM

What about the one in the Classifieds? Anyone know anything about? Crossed the Trans-Atlantic twice? Sounds like a serious offshore machine.

#9 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Interests:Pacific Cup 2014

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:09 PM

No first hand experience, but the Quest 30/33 is at the top of my list for DH or SH offshore racing (Bermuda 1-2 or SHTP/Pacific Cup). Seems like the perfect boat that would still be fun to cruise.

I would think you would also want to look at the Columbia 30/33 if the Quest appeals to you.

#10 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

I have had the pleasure of sailing on them and racing against them. Nothing but respect for the design and the build quality.

#11 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Interests:Pacific Cup 2014

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

Does anyone know how many 30/33's were built? I think I've seen 4 for sale in the last 12 months, but I don't have a real feel for how many are out there. I would guess at least 10, but less than 20.

#12 treef

treef

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

Does anyone know how many 30/33's were built? I think I've seen 4 for sale in the last 12 months, but I don't have a real feel for how many are out there. I would guess at least 10, but less than 20.

8 Quest 30's and 6 Quest 33's.

#13 arker

arker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

And now (2013) any for sale , somewhere ?

Do you know were the molds are ?

#14 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

Presume Barrett still has the moulds in Bristol

#15 wheelman

wheelman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:have

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:14 AM

30/33 Moulds are still in Bristol

#16 red_sky_sf

red_sky_sf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:47 AM

John L. did the 2012 SHTP on one, really set it up beautifully. I believe he finished well in the Bermuda 1/2 as well.     Look for his boat Flight Risk, he might lurk here somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users