10 replies to this topic

#1 DEAD MONEY

DEAD MONEY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

Have an "old" style White Race Master I bought back in 2002. It has been awesome with NO problems.....worked so well we ripped ALL our instruments out and replaced w/All TackTicks.

Last race went to turn it off and it would NOT turn off. Had to play w/buttons for 5 minutes and finally it went off but I did not have a good feeling so I brought it home. I cannot get unit to power on. The Battery has never been dead as we have been diligent about keeping it charged.
Can it be fixed or is it part of the planned obsolescense from TackTick ??

#2 simbert

simbert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

faceplate button cable rusted out and eventually cracked. There are two sets of buttons, no?

#3 DEAD MONEY

DEAD MONEY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:06 AM

faceplate button cable rusted out and eventually cracked. There are two sets of buttons, no?

There are 2 set's of Buttons but there is no rust....maybe internally but nothing outside.

#4 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:14 AM

I had one of the old racemasters die on me earlier this year - there was moisture inside and it obviously fell over and died.....

I sent an email to the tacktick guys in the UK and even though the unit was approaching 10 years they agreed to replace with a new unit at 50% off - and the prices for the Racemaster have come down as well. I wasn't unhappy as I ended up getting a new racemaster for about 350 bucks

#5 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

I had one of the old racemasters die on me earlier this year - there was moisture inside and it obviously fell over and died.....

I sent an email to the tacktick guys in the UK and even though the unit was approaching 10 years they agreed to replace with a new unit at 50% off - and the prices for the Racemaster have come down as well. I wasn't unhappy as I ended up getting a new racemaster for about 350 bucks

Has anyone had experience getting TackTick service in the US since it was acquired by Suunto? Ocean Equipment in Irvine, CA used to be the TackTick US Distributor and did service from there, but no longer handles TackTick. I had some firmware upgrades done and they fixed my Racemaster a couple years back.

#6 simbert

simbert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

So, have you sealed caulking all over your new one yet? :)

#7 DEAD MONEY

DEAD MONEY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

I contacted the US supplier......very coincidental they are housed 6 miles from my house and I do business w/them, talk about a small world!!!

Spoke to a good guy named Jim and he clued me in. Everything is done thru TackTick directly. So I send them an E-Mail.....bottom line they don't repair old ones like mine but will take a trade-in and sell me a new one for $375.

The Guy from TackTick said it is possible for someone to take the old one apart and put a battery together. I got GREAT info w/Pics from Simbert (Thanks again !!!). Does anyone know any repair shops that specialize in this type of repair (yeah I could do it but why, I'd rather trust someone who has done it a dozen times.....I could fix my own cavities too)?? If NOT I see a cottage industry developing...haha

#8 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

I contacted the US supplier......very coincidental they are housed 6 miles from my house and I do business w/them, talk about a small world!!!

Spoke to a good guy named Jim and he clued me in. Everything is done thru TackTick directly. So I send them an E-Mail.....bottom line they don't repair old ones like mine but will take a trade-in and sell me a new one for $375.

The Guy from TackTick said it is possible for someone to take the old one apart and put a battery together. I got GREAT info w/Pics from Simbert (Thanks again !!!). Does anyone know any repair shops that specialize in this type of repair (yeah I could do it but why, I'd rather trust someone who has done it a dozen times.....I could fix my own cavities too)?? If NOT I see a cottage industry developing...haha

This sort of thing is why Velocitek and others have sprang up. Serviceable units with replaceable batteries - what a concept! (Sold my Tacktic and replaced with Velocitek SC-1 and couldn't be happier!)

#9 simbert

simbert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

This sort of thing is why Velocitek and others have sprang up. Serviceable units with replaceable batteries - what a concept! (Sold my Tacktic and replaced with Velocitek SC-1 and couldn't be happier!)

you do know that velocitek is NOT A COMPASS :)

#10 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:19 AM

So, have you sealed caulking all over your new one yet? :)

Not yet - so far so good. The old one had been abused on sportboats for a long time and been fully submerged more than once but I guess in the end the salt got it

#11 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:20 PM

you do know that velocitek is NOT A COMPASS :)

Yep. So? If you NEED a compass you shouldn't rely on a tacktic anyway. When it fails ( and it will) it will be when you need it most.

I have no need of a traditional compass, don't need it for navigation, could care less what direction the boat is pointing when stopped, and we have no current where I sail. My trimaran doesn't make much leeway either.
For the purpose of determining heading changes (lifted/knocked etc) a GPS based compass works fine for me. Add speed (and VMG) in a compact wireless unit, no holes to drill in hull, no wires to run, using common batteries, serviceable, upgradeable, and with EXcellent product support/service and it's so vastly superior to my old tacktic it ain't funny.

No connection with Velociteck, just a satisfied customer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users