Can I bring an inflatable PFD on an airplane?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 wristwister

wristwister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:31 AM

Visiting my kid, she needs one, I've got an extra. Can I bring an inflatable PFD (with CO2 cartridge) on a plane as carry on? Do I have to check it as baggage? Or can it even go on the plane at all?

Thanks

#2 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,186 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:46 AM

Visiting my kid, she needs one, I've got an extra. Can I bring an inflatable PFD (with CO2 cartridge) on a plane as carry on? Do I have to check it as baggage? Or can it even go on the plane at all?

Thanks

You can get advice here on SA, but I seriously suggest you check with the airline. That's what counts.

If you insist on flying it down, I suggest you don't check it. Just hide it under your turban.

#3 wal'

wal'

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

I took 2 in my luggage to San Fran a couple of years ago, no problem - but no one saw them.

They must be ok - how do the ones on the plane work? same same?

#4 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Some airlines do - some don't.

If they say no then this is what we do.

Remove the co2 canister from the PFD and pack the PFD in your carry-on baggage. Then, just before you leave the plane, take one of the complementary canisters located under your seat.
(Or in the arm rests in 1st class.)

#5 extrad

extrad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:49 AM

Check on the specific airline's website.

Some explicitly say yes you can others imply that you can't but aren't specific.

If you can't take it (the cylinder that is) take her the pfd without cylinder and buy one when you get to her. Keep the original as a spare for yourself.

#6 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:54 AM

Wearing it while on the plane is considered poor form however... :P

#7 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:32 AM

Weird how some airlines won't let you bring the CO2 canisters on-board, yet they use them in the own inflatables.

Posted Image

#8 tailgunner

tailgunner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:43 AM

If I remember correctly from my time at Defender selling them, TSA regulations have varied since 9/11/2001 but since 2006 or so have generally allowed PFDs with armed CO2 cyninders and a spare. Unfortunately, some airlines have other opinions check the airline's website, if they aren't specific about self inflating PFDs call customer service.

#9 SailMedic

SailMedic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:sailing, skiing, etc

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:46 AM

I flew to SXM in April for a delivery and took my self-inflating PFD in my checked luggage. I gave a lot of thought to this and determined a few indisputable facts.

- The TSA X-rays your luggage.
- CO2 cartridges probably look like something dangerous to a lowly paid TSA x-ray-watcher.
- I needed two new cartridges for the PFD anyway.

So I planned for this and figured how it might go if someone were to be concerned about something they saw and want to look in my bag without me around to explain. I went to West Marine and bought the refill kits but left them sealed in the WM packaging. I put them in separate places in the luggage so they didn't see two mysterious objects that looked the same both right next to each other (like a potential bomb might look). I put the PFD right on top so it was the first thing they saw when they opened the bag (if it would come to that). Obviously the objects are marked to go together so even the dumbest of people could figure that one out.

Now, also, I don't know how yours works but my PFD (a Stearns 4000 series I think) is a model that either self-inflates on contact with water or inflates by jerking a string. You can set it up either way. The self-inflation is simple - a little alka-seltzer like "pill" in a cage deteriorates on contact with water, a lever is released when the pill isn't there to block it and the thing goes off. Now, with the probability of condensation forming in the cargo area of the plane, I sealed the extra pill and the refill kits (packaged in cardboard) in Ziploc bags.

Results:

- The TSA DID go through my bag.
- The cartridges were not where I packed them. They were together and next to the PFD.
- The boxes were not opened.
- Everything was fine and I had a nice sail.

Still, I also 2nd the earlier comment about checking with your carrier.

#10 Cavalier

Cavalier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:17 AM

Remove the co2 canister from the PFD and pack the PFD in your carry-on baggage. Then, just before you leave the plane, take one of the complementary canisters located under your seat.

It's ridiculous that each airline life jacket has 2 CO2 cylinders identical to the one in your PFD and yet many airlines and or the security services at the airport, particularly in Asia, will not allow you to carry the CO2 cylinder on board the plane.

If you choose to take the "complementary canister located under your seat" then be sure to familiarize yourself with the penalties for tampering with, or taking aircraft safety equipment. Countries like Singapore apply caning for such offenses.

The above said, I have traveled many times on different carriers with my PFD. I pack the PFD with the canister removed. I pack the canister separately in my toiletries bag, alongside toothpaste and shaving creme, in the same checked luggage.

I have never had a problem.

#11 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,973 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:28 AM

Visiting my kid, she needs one, I've got an extra. Can I bring an inflatable PFD (without CO2 cartridge) on a plane as carry on?

Thanks

Fixed so now ....................

YES

#12 spankoka

spankoka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,106 posts
  • Interests:sailing/drinking/strippers

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:42 AM

Is there a real reason you aren't supposed to have the cartridge onboard? Floatplane pilots and passengers wear them all the time.

#13 enzof

enzof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:04 AM

The Transportation Safety Administration specifically allows inflating PFDs and CO2 cartridges.
Check with your Carrier for any requirements or prohibitions they may have.

From the TSA WEBSITE

Disabling Chemicals & Other Dangerous Items..................Carry-on.......Checked
<snip>
Small compressed gas cartridges...................................Yes...........Yes
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares
must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit)
<snip>

#14 greasy al

greasy al

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:27 AM

Weird how some airlines won't let you bring the CO2 canisters on-board, yet they use them in the own inflatables.

Posted Image

Surely you can't be serious.

#15 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:28 AM

flown home from hawaii twice with a pfd and the co2 cartridge. declared them to tsa, showed them which checked bag they were in, had a little chat about how it operated, that it was disabled with the cartridge removed, all was fine. if you are up front with them, and are proactive on how you pack the pfd, you should have no issues at all.

#16 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:32 AM

Posted Image

I am serious. And stop watching Gladiator movies.

#17 Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

flown home from hawaii twice with a pfd and the co2 cartridge. declared them to tsa, showed them which checked bag they were in, had a little chat about how it operated, that it was disabled with the cartridge removed, all was fine. if you are up front with them, and are proactive on how you pack the pfd, you should have no issues at all.

Depends on the carrier - on a flight out of a "small" town in China and those staff were not allowing CO2 cartridges on the plane no way, no where, no how. We left them at security, at least we got out, but that's a different story!

#18 mattchew

mattchew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:56 AM

I've taken mine on flights, as carry on, security really was getting worried till I showed them what it was lol...

#19 extrad

extrad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:48 AM

Unlikely I know but I would'nt pack a PFD in my bag (carry on or checked) without removing the cylinder. An inflating pfd will burst the zip/catches etc. of you checked bag or cause alarm when the overhead bursts open.

I have once got away with taking on a spare C02 cartridge in it's as purchased packaging in my check in luggage. (The PFD in my checked bag didn't have one) After some argument with the check in staff - they went to fetch a manager and an airline PFD - put my cartridge in their PFD set it off, kept their unused cartridge and got on the plane, they couldn't argue with that.

This was before 9/11. I don't think I would be quite so brave these days.

#20 Crew

Crew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

The Transportation Safety Administration specifically allows inflating PFDs and CO2 cartridges.

From the TSA WEBSITE

Disabling Chemicals & Other Dangerous Items..................Carry-on.......Checked
<snip>
Small compressed gas cartridges...................................Yes...........Yes
<snip>

The US carries all use the common TSA screeners. That being said, they all vary in levels of training. It is LEGAL TO CARRY inflatable PFD's on the plane. I have done so many times. DO NOT PACK THEM IN YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE! They will be removed and thrown out if you do (those screeners you do not get to argue with). Print out the guidelines from TSA website, and highlight the portion regarding canisters and TAKE THE SHEET WITH YOU. Be prepared to explain to TSA their own job.

Regards,
Crew

#21 KRC

KRC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:12 PM

From the TSA WEBSITE

<snip>
<snip>

The US carries all use the common TSA screeners. That being said, they all vary in levels of training. It is LEGAL TO CARRY inflatable PFD's on the plane. I have done so many times. DO NOT PACK THEM IN YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE! They will be removed and thrown out if you do (those screeners you do not get to argue with). Print out the guidelines from TSA website, and highlight the portion regarding canisters and TAKE THE SHEET WITH YOU. Be prepared to explain to TSA their own job.

Regards,
Crew

I have always put my inflatable in my checked luggage, simply because I like to keep all my sailing gear together in one bag, which includes my knife (checked for obvious reasons). I just make sure to disarm the inflatable beforehand. I've never had a CO2 cartridge disappear from my luggage, and at any rate, of all the sailing gear I own, the CO2 cartridge is probably the cheapest and easiest to replace.

#22 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

Do not take loaded cylinder on plane.

Have one waiting when you get there.

You have enough to worry about.

Sail safe!

nuff' said.

#23 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

Posted Image

No, I'm not kidding, and stop calling me Shirley.

#24 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

From the TSA WEBSITE

<snip>
<snip>

Regards,
Crew

This is the correct answer

#25 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:32 PM

Do not take loaded cylinder on plane.

Have one waiting when you get there.

You have enough to worry about.

Sail safe!

nuff' said.

with many of us stating that you can and it's a non issue with tsa, why do you think you shouldn't?

#26 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

I have read the USAir regs and have complied with having a new cylinder at destination.
It is better than having it tossed by an upset TSA person digging through my wet gear.

Sail Safe.

#27 Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

The first FAA rule is that any compressed gas is considered a "hazardous material" on airplanes. Keep this thought in mind as I explain the rest -

BACKGROUND
The CO2 cylinders under the seat onboard a plane was inspected by an FAA inspector during installation, yours wasn't.
Each airline has its own risk tolerance and their own risk managers to decide whether their airline is going to allow a hazardous material onboard their airplane. Roughly 1/2 of airlines have decided that they do not want you to bring this hazardous material (CO2 cylinders) on their airplanes (and 1/2 do!).
It does not make a difference with a hazardous material, whether it is carry-on or checked. It remains a hazardous material.
Carrying a hazardous material on an airplane whether or not it is allowed by an airline still requires you to declare at check-in of your intent to carry a hazardous material on the airplane. Not declaring a hazardous material can earn you a fine and prison time.

The TSA has their own edict on CO2 cylinders (which I helped them with):
http://www.tsa.gov/t...ited-items.shtm
Small compressed gas cartridges
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit)

My note - Most airlines only allow 1 with a vest and 1 spare. TSA rules do NOT over rule an airlines own rules.

HOW TO DO IT NOT TO BE FINED OR THROWN IN JAIL
1. Check your airline and connecting flights websites, print two copies off the pages from their websites that show you are allowed to carry them with. The airline website will also tell you if they are allowed as carry-on or if you must check them (their planes, their decisions).
2. Make two copies from the page from the TSA website.
3. Place one set of copies with your PFD and spare (with your fingers crossed).
3. When checking in at the airline "Declare that you are carrying a hazardous material of two CO2 cylinders with your inflatable PFD", and show them the other set of copies (keep the copies for your return flight). Failure to do this step can result in fines or prison (even though they allow it, you still must tell them of your intention to bring them on board).

Advise - Keep the TSA rules and the airline rules separate in your mind. One doe not over rule the other. You must comply with both independently.

And I'm the guy that put this together:
http://offshore.ussa...__FAA___TSA.htm

#28 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,973 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

The first FAA rule is that any compressed gas is considered a "hazardous material" on airplanes. Keep this thought in mind as I explain the rest -

BACKGROUND
The CO2 cylinders under the seat onboard a plane was inspected by an FAA inspector during installation, yours wasn't.
Each airline has its own risk tolerance and their own risk managers to decide whether their airline is going to allow a hazardous material onboard their airplane. Roughly 1/2 of airlines have decided that they do not want you to bring this hazardous material (CO2 cylinders) on their airplanes (and 1/2 do!).
It does not make a difference with a hazardous material, whether it is carry-on or checked. It remains a hazardous material.
Carrying a hazardous material on an airplane whether or not it is allowed by an airline still requires you to declare at check-in of your intent to carry a hazardous material on the airplane. Not declaring a hazardous material can earn you a fine and prison time.

The TSA has their own edict on CO2 cylinders (which I helped them with):
http://www.tsa.gov/t...ited-items.shtm
Small compressed gas cartridges
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit)

My note - Most airlines only allow 1 with a vest and 1 spare. TSA rules do NOT over rule an airlines own rules.

HOW TO DO IT NOT TO BE FINED OR THROWN IN JAIL
1. Check your airline and connecting flights websites, print two copies off the pages from their websites that show you are allowed to carry them with. The airline website will also tell you if they are allowed as carry-on or if you must check them (their planes, their decisions).
2. Make two copies from the page from the TSA website.
3. Place one set of copies with your PFD and spare (with your fingers crossed).
3. When checking in at the airline "Declare that you are carrying a hazardous material of two CO2 cylinders with your inflatable PFD", and show them the other set of copies (keep the copies for your return flight). Failure to do this step can result in fines or prison (even though they allow it, you still must tell them of your intention to bring them on board).

Advise - Keep the TSA rules and the airline rules separate in your mind. One doe not over rule the other. You must comply with both independently.

And I'm the guy that put this together:
http://offshore.ussa...__FAA___TSA.htm

Well I must say I don't think you'll be receiving a warm welcome

at least in the traditional SA manor Posted Image

but if you have any pix of Hot Female Flight Attendants please feel free to post em Posted Image

#29 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:42 PM

It is the TSA not the airlines who decide what gets past the Xray scanner.

They do not want you bringing the power source and some other Terrorists bringing the other parts to make a gas powered weapon.

I had mine removed at Security screening many years back. I had to go buy one when I arrived at the regatta.

Good thing I travel with both types of PFD's.

Besides, if the co2 canister is out of date and your kid wears it in a regatta.............he could get tossed for wearing an invalid PFD.

#30 Mephisto Cat

Mephisto Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, restoring old boats, restoring & driving old cars

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

Timely topic
- I will be flying HOME AFTER a cruise...
Buying canisters at my destiation would be pointeless - and surely unavailable...

Link to TSA brochure specifically allowing compressed canninster for PFDs. Hope this is useful.

http://www.tsa.gov/a...ms_brochure.pdf

I am sure the airlines have their own rules as indicated above.

'One CHICKEN nation under dog'

#31 wristwister

wristwister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

Many thanks to the link to the TSA section allowing PFD's. I didn't find this during my search before initiating this topic, I see it now.

I'm flying Southwest and I see nothing on their web site regarding this subject. I'll call them.

I don't want to check any baggage because I'm a cheap sumbitch, and I travel light so everything fits easily as carry-on, including the PFD.

This is a brand new, unopened PFD (SOSpenders), so it's not armed and contains 2 cartridges.

My plan is to print copies of the TSA section showing OK for PFDs as carry-on, and also call Southwest on the subject. I'll also declare it when I go through security. I figure worse case is I have to forfeit the cartridges but not the PFD, and get more cartridges when I get there.

Thanks for the great advice everybody. I fly Friday, I'll post how it goes.

#32 Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

Many thanks to the link to the TSA section allowing PFD's. I didn't find this during my search before initiating this topic, I see it now.

I'm flying Southwest and I see nothing on their web site regarding this subject. I'll call them.

I don't want to check any baggage because I'm a cheap sumbitch, and I travel light so everything fits easily as carry-on, including the PFD.

This is a brand new, unopened PFD (SOSpenders), so it's not armed and contains 2 cartridges.

My plan is to print copies of the TSA section showing OK for PFDs as carry-on, and also call Southwest on the subject. I'll also declare it when I go through security. I figure worse case is I have to forfeit the cartridges but not the PFD, and get more cartridges when I get there.

Point 1
You must declare it to the airline, not security.

Point 2
When on this page of Southwest - http://www.southwest...n-bags-pol.html it has a link with "Allowable Carryon Items." Clicking on that link takes you to the TSA site http://www.tsa.gov/t...ited-items.shtm which says that Southwest does whatever TSA does, so it appears that you are good to go. But declare the hazardous material when checking in. Failure to tell the airline is breaking the law.

#33 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

Unlikely I know but I would'nt pack a PFD in my bag (carry on or checked) without removing the cylinder. An inflating pfd will burst the zip/catches etc. of you checked bag or cause alarm when the overhead bursts open.

I have once got away with taking on a spare C02 cartridge in it's as purchased packaging in my check in luggage. (The PFD in my checked bag didn't have one) After some argument with the check in staff - they went to fetch a manager and an airline PFD - put my cartridge in their PFD set it off, kept their unused cartridge and got on the plane, they couldn't argue with that.

This was before 9/11. I don't think I would be quite so brave these days.

I have never been allowed to take my inflatable co2 cartridges on a plane.
Even showing them a color printout of the regs, no dice. Tried at least 5x. The regs say it's up to the airline, the airline generally says it's up to the pilot - do you really think they're going to go find the pilot and ask?
I have also, both times when I just packed in it my luggage, had the cartridges removed by the airlines. Including unopened store packaging. They leave a little form note...

I suggest taking a padded envelope and leave yourself time to either mail them home or mail them to your destination, or better yet just maiil them from home and save the hassle, or just plan to buy more on arrival.

And to you people who don't read too well (since it's been covered yet folks keep asking) the reason they don't want them isn't because co2 isn't safe - it's because they cannot tell what's inside your cartridge. The ones on the plane, they feel secure about. Yours - not so much.

This has been discussed time and time again. The ratio of success to denial is about 1 in 500...

Buddy of mine missed his flight a couple months ago, while trying to explain his pfd and cannisters they took him aside and the "special handling" took too long. Barely arrived at destination in time to make his regatta. Sans cartridges.

Risk it if you want.

#34 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

This has been discussed time and time again. The ratio of success to denial is about 1 in 500...

I would disagree. I flew dozens of times this year with my pfd and no issues. I actually had one inexperienced TSA girl this summer on my way to Chicago bring over her supervisor to look at it, and his instant response was to nod at her"PFD canister" and look at me and say "thanks sir, have a good flight"

#35 greasy al

greasy al

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:50 PM

Posted Image

So LB, you ever been in a Turkish prison?

#36 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:17 AM

Posted Image

Not a Turkish prison, no.

#37 liquorpig

liquorpig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Interests:Rum, Sailing w/ Rum, short girls on stillts.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:31 AM

Don't fly much, do ya? Southwest does not charge for checked baggage. Check it and forget it.......proceed directly to the bar.

#38 Bowgirl

Bowgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts
  • Interests:Heineken HPDO, Tempest sailing, tending orchids

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:09 AM

I brought PFD w/canisters to France in 2007.

The airline website said "no problem if in checked luggage". So as I was checking in my luggage, I opened my big mouth and mentioned that I had the canisters. D'oh.

Long story short, had to pull them out, show them to the pilot (ever try to find the pilot before a flight - not fast nor easy), get his "ok" and then re-check the bags.

Worked out fine, but I wouldn't recommend this as the way to go about it.

Call the airline, get a name and reference number of someone who says yes, then just go about your business. Have the backup if someone asks, but otherwise, just leave it alone.

#39 ozzy58

ozzy58

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:17 AM

GA, Tell us, please, how do you use canisters in a turkish prison ?

#40 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:45 AM

To inflate a Muslim sex doll.

No, wait - They blow themselves up.

#41 ozzy58

ozzy58

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:47 AM

you can see why I am SO confused

#42 Jack Dale

Jack Dale

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:13 AM

I fly regularly with a a pfd and two canisters in my checked luggage in Canada. Both WestJet and Air Canada permit this. I carry the web pages from their sites.

I flew to Maui for a delivery (Vic Maui boat) this summer with the same gear. I know the race crews flew home with their pfd's.

I always tell the check-in desk that I am carrying the pfd and canisters. Once I was called back when I did not do so; fortunately it is at a small airport.

So far, so good.

#43 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:38 AM

Posted Image

#44 wristwister

wristwister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:48 AM

OK guys, quit derailing my thread.

... I take that back. That was damn funny. Keep 'em coming!

#45 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:05 AM

OK guys, quit derailing my thread.

... I take that back. That was damn funny. Keep 'em coming!

Ok.

Posted Image

#46 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:25 AM

maybe you just have "i want the rubber glove treatment" stamped on your forehead, because it seems the majority posting in this thread have never had an issue with taking their pfds and cartridges on a plane.

i am at times downright belligerent with tsa for their stupid idea that half a bottle of 60 spf sunblock and a half used tube of toothpaste somehow constitute a terrorist threat, and i still don't have an issue with my pfd. direct international flights, domestic connections, it didn't matter.

#47 Mylar

Mylar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

gettin out of Bermuda a couple of years ago was a slight problem - convinced the gumba that the cannister was to have air blow in cylinder and that it was defated before the flight out.

#48 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:01 PM

Thanks

Send it to her UPS ground. It just might save you some hassle.

#49 JustDroppingBy

JustDroppingBy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:01 PM

We do it all the time on major US carriers, as well as Air New Zealand and some Euro airlines.

Print out a copy of the TSA paperwork, the old section was number 9 but now they aren't numbered. Unscrew the canister so that it cannot inflate while in flight but keep it with the pfd. You are allowed to have a maximum of 2 in the pfd and an equal number of spares, as long as they are with the unit. Do not pack them separately or you might end up with a hazardous materials situation and there's paperwork that you have to sign (learned the hard way).

Each airline is allowed to decide where you need to pack the pfd - for instance, United is carry on, American is checked bags, while US Airways is TSA rules which mean either/or.

Pack the paper copies (printed on the day before or day of is best) with the pfd. You can either put it in a bin separately or you can leave it in carryon and see if you get a bag check. Most of the major airports near water -- LAX, SFO, JFK, etc are familiar with the rules and won't bother you about it, provided you have the cartridges with the pfd. The only place we really had an issue in the last few years was in Phoenix on a plane change coming back from a regatta in Mexico. That one took about an hour to straighten out, mostly because we had a 3 hour layover and decided that it would be fun to make the TSA back down.

If you get a bag check, just ask for a supervisor straight away, they are much more efficient at reading comprehension normally.

#50 V-15_Frenchie

V-15_Frenchie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:36 PM

From a few weeks ago doing some research:

YES - Continental, Delta, QANTAS, British Airways
NO - American, US Airways
Unclear - Air France, KLM

After that, it's contact the airline / look at their dangerous goods policy.

I had it written into my flight docs that I was carrying "fragile, dangerous goods - lifejacket w/ CO2 cylinders" and let me tell you check in was fun...

#51 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:52 AM

From a few weeks ago doing some research:

YES - Continental, Delta, QANTAS, British Airways
NO - American, US Airways
Unclear - Air France, KLM

After that, it's contact the airline / look at their dangerous goods policy.

I had it written into my flight docs that I was carrying "fragile, dangerous goods - lifejacket w/ CO2 cylinders" and let me tell you check in was fun...

I cannot think of one airline that inspects carry on bags. The TSA inspect carry on pages and passengers.

The TSA inspect before you get to the gate because they want the area secure.

If the TSA don't let it past screening it does not matter what the airline says.

That is how it works at the airports I have been to.

#52 Canal Bottom

Canal Bottom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:17 AM

Glad to hear so many of you have had good luck getting on and off planes with CO2 cartriges. The TSA is not supposed to allow that ever. There is no way to know what is in them. Please keep your poor arrogant "Clean Like" habits up. One day soon we will have a great thread on how one of your days, weeks or months were ruined and it was all someone else's fault.

Those little canisters have no place on a plane in or out of the cabin. How would anyone at the airport know what was really in them.

#53 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:08 AM

Please keep your poor arrogant "Clean Like" habits up. One day soon we will have a great thread on how one of your days, weeks or months were ruined and it was all someone else's fault.

Are you lost? The clean 'pile on' thread is the third door on the left.

#54 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,072 posts
  • Interests:Shattering illusions

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

I do about 20 flights a year through Asia and to Europe from Australia and have taken my Stormy Seas inflatable PFD with canister fitted in my check-in luggage (never in my carry on) on most of those flights over the last ten years. I have flown QANTAS, Emirates, Cathay Pacific, KLM, Air NZ and a few other airlines on international flights and I have NEVER EVER been challenged or even questioned about it; not once.

I had a flaming row with QANTAS budget brand Jetstar on a domestic flight here in Australia once and was eventually allowed to carry it in checked luggage. I argued that there were hundreds of the same thing already on the fucking plane; what possible difference could one more make? They opened it up, checked for a fuse or detonation device and gave me the OK with a sheepish admission that I was probably right. They did ask me not to bring it again but I have done so on a number of occasions since. A mate of mine who does a bit of boat delivery work does the same thing every time he delivers a boat and has to fly home - he has never been challenged either.

I am not saying it's legal to do so but my history clearly indicates it's not that much of an issue.

Having said that I'll probably get arrested next time (off to Japan in about 4 weeks)

#55 Sailabout

Sailabout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts
  • Interests:Engines

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

problem is we just told the next bomber how to get his shit on the plane...doh
I used to hide my cannister in the babies bottle then I used my shoe...

#56 V-15_Frenchie

V-15_Frenchie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

Glad to hear so many of you have had good luck getting on and off planes with CO2 cartriges. The TSA is not supposed to allow that ever. There is no way to know what is in them. Please keep your poor arrogant "Clean Like" habits up. One day soon we will have a great thread on how one of your days, weeks or months were ruined and it was all someone else's fault.

Those little canisters have no place on a plane in or out of the cabin. How would anyone at the airport know what was really in them.

Oh, really?

The only way to fight ignorance is with information -- TSA: prohibited items list, as well as the FAA's "Materials Carried by Passangers and Crew" list. More specifically, allowed by 49 CFR 175.10(a)(11).

But don't let knowledge stop you in your attacks, or in cowering in fear in your closet, believing that people are doing things they're not legally allowed to do because someone incorrectly told you that they weren't "supposed" to do that.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

#57 wristwister

wristwister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:14 PM

I can think of a much more secure location to hide a cannister. If I were a chick, I could hide TWO cannisters!

#58 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

I do about 20 flights a year through Asia and to Europe from Australia and have taken my Stormy Seas inflatable PFD with canister fitted in my check-in luggage (never in my carry on) on most of those flights over the last ten years. I have flown QANTAS, Emirates, Cathay Pacific, KLM, Air NZ and a few other airlines on international flights and I have NEVER EVER been challenged or even questioned about it; not once.

I had a flaming row with QANTAS budget brand Jetstar on a domestic flight here in Australia once and was eventually allowed to carry it in checked luggage. I argued that there were hundreds of the same thing already on the fucking plane; what possible difference could one more make? They opened it up, checked for a fuse or detonation device and gave me the OK with a sheepish admission that I was probably right. They did ask me not to bring it again but I have done so on a number of occasions since. A mate of mine who does a bit of boat delivery work does the same thing every time he delivers a boat and has to fly home - he has never been challenged either.

I am not saying it's legal to do so but my history clearly indicates it's not that much of an issue.

Having said that I'll probably get arrested next time (off to Japan in about 4 weeks)

Agreed. I fly domestic with mine about every 3 weeks and only on 'Death star' has it been an issue lately. I flew with Tiger for the first time a few weeks ago. They are so dodgy that I want to wear my vest on board next time!

#59 Nice!

Nice!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:26 PM

I have flown many times with an inflatable vest. If you are taking a CO2 canister, remove it from the vest. Pack both separately, but at the top of your checked luggage. There is a chance they will inspect it after they xray the luggage.

IMPORTANT: Do not just simply unscrew the canister and leave it loose but in place. You can easily forget to screw it in again and then if you go overboard on your next race, you're screwed. I usually put the canister into one of my deck shoes, so that there is no way I can forget to replace it properly.

#60 JustDroppingBy

JustDroppingBy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

I cannot think of one airline that inspects carry on bags. The TSA inspect carry on pages and passengers.

The TSA inspect before you get to the gate because they want the area secure.

If the TSA don't let it past screening it does not matter what the airline says.

That is how it works at the airports I have been to.

Secondary screening after security for international flights to the US is fairly common, if not actually required, which it might be. Sort of like going through security in Hawaii to come back to the mainland and then having your bags inspected again by the Agriculture people to make sure you aren't bringing prohibited stuff back.

Did you fail the reading comprehension portion of the exam or the entire IQ test?

The TSA and FAA, as well as the airlines, make the policies that allow them, and no one is doing anything wrong by carrying them onboard, as long as they follow regulations.

#61 axolotl

axolotl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Camping

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

International travel can present problems. Like all iffy things (backpacking stoves, flares, night vision gear, firearms, machetes, oxygen, knives, etc.), CO2 cartridges *look* dangerous.

It is entirely up to the Pilot what's permissible when out in the boonies. I've had to beg a few times concerning mission critical gear. It seems one thing they *always* insist on is that sharp things be properly sheathed.

#62 Jibba Jabba

Jibba Jabba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

Go here. Print that page. Show the screener #11. Mention my name. Have a nice flight. In the event of a water landing, you're a step ahead of the people clinging to ass cushions.

#63 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

I liked it better when you were Mr. T

#64 Jibba Jabba

Jibba Jabba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:46 PM

This is easier on the furniture, not to mention the English language.

#65 wristwister

wristwister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:58 AM

No problem folks. I showed it to the Southwest check in chick, she looked up the rules and said no problem. Put it through security at the gate, the newbie TSA guy checked quickly with the boss who said no problem, and I was on my way.

#66 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

Why would you want to bring one on a plane?

Every flight that goes over water is required to have perfectly good PFD's on onboard.

#67 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

i had to remove the canister once, returning from antigua.

just because TSA says they are okay, doesn't mean an airline can't have a different policy, and ban them - either from the cabin, or checked luggage.

i think the main issue (as was mentioned above) is not that they think the canisters are dangerous generally, but that they don't know that you haven't replaced the CO2 with mustard gas...

#68 Dijker

Dijker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

Don't temper with safety, even if it is not your own, please

#69 Jack Dale

Jack Dale

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:18 PM

Why would you want to bring one on a plane?

Every flight that goes over water is required to have perfectly good PFD's on onboard.

Maybe not.

Jazz airlines, Air Canada's regional affiliate, recently removed life vests from all of its planes including those that fly over water to reduce fuel consumption and save money.

Transport Canada regulations allow carriers that fly within 50 nautical miles of shore to use flotation devices instead of vests. Safety cards in seat pockets will now direct passengers to use the seat cushions, which float.

http://www.thestar.com/article/484113

I took a Jazz flight last month across Georgia Strait. I can recall no mention of life jackets.

#70 NaptownChick

NaptownChick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

Bumping this thread, since its a few years old...

I called around US Air, Southwest, and AirTran this morning and couldnt manage to speak to someone who I could trust having an informed answer.
Southwest lady said "no"
Air Tran said she would follow up with me after asking someone in the know (no word back yet)
And the best:
US Air said I would need a doctors note, dated less than 10 days before the flight to carry a 'medical disability devise'

TSA is still saying they are fine to carry on or check, so no change there.

Anyone traveled recently with AirTran or Southwest with their inflatable?

#71 DogBalls

DogBalls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

Posted Image

Reply of the year!

#72 V-15_Frenchie

V-15_Frenchie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

I called around US Air, Southwest, and AirTran this morning and couldnt manage to speak to someone who I could trust having an informed answer.
Southwest lady said "no"
Air Tran said she would follow up with me after asking someone in the know (no word back yet)
And the best:
US Air said I would need a doctors note, dated less than 10 days before the flight to carry a 'medical disability devise'

Check out the following:
TSA: Small compressed gas cartridges (Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit) -- Carry-on - Yes / Checked - Yes

I haven't checked the airline sites.

#73 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Southwest has banned CO2 cartridges for years.

So has Valu-Jet....er, Spirit. Pricks!

#74 billg

billg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Wearing it while on the plane is considered poor form however... :P

Not just poor form but, not allowed, yep that is a real regulation, not allowed to wear a PFD on the plane.

#75 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

I have never once had any airline allow me to have the cannisters either in my carry on OR my baggage. I have arrived at destination to find the cannisters in my checked bags were gone.

Others have had no problems, but it seems very few have positive stories.

You will not know until you try, and then it's too late if they say no. And a bummer to have to go shopping for them at your destination.

It is best bet to either send them ahead or have a plan to buy more when you arrive.
At your departure, bring a padded envelope pre addressed with postage in your bag, and if they say no, send them either home or to your destination (if there will be time for them to arrive.)

#76 lahtris

lahtris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:46 AM

Flew with mine last weekend. Allowed since 2007. http://www.tsa.gov/a...ms_brochure.pdf

Small compressed gas Yes Yes
cartridges - Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares

Took them carry-on, printed a copy of the above link. Both times had bags swabbed and politely cleared. One agent had to be informed by their manager. Inform the xray operator that they are looking at a life jacket and they'll be a lot happier.

#77 ccruiser

ccruiser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:52 AM

Thanks

The airline sites have their rules on this, they are okay with TSA. If you're still worried, why not take it out and Fedex it to her? Or as someone suggested take it out and buy another when you get there.

#78 equivocator

equivocator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

As has been observed, TSA does permit you to carry cylinders with the inflatable PFD:

TSA List Look under "Disabling Chemicals & Other Dangerous Items" about 3/4ths down the page.

Last time I checked, inflator bottles were permitted in checked bags, but not carry-ons, so TSA's position has actually gotten more free. However, as has been observed, the final word is left to the airline, and many do not permit gas bottles, even though TSA and the CFR do allow them.

The Code of Federal Regulations ("CFR") also permits gas bottles, provided they are accompanied by an inflatable PFD, and you have the approval of the aircraft operator:

CFR Exceptions (See 49 CFR Sec. 175.10(a)(11))

US Sailing also has a page on their website with relevant information:

USSA link

A few years ago, they also had a page with information re the policies of individual carriers, but I couldn't find it when I looked this evening.

Last time I flew to a race (circa 2006), Southwest did allow me to carry a charged cylinder in my checked bag. I made paper tags for the PFD and the bag itself advising the inspector that the bag contained an inflatable PFD and inflator cartridge, and had no trouble. The year before that, when I was in Bermuda, the inspection lady had a laundry basket about half full of various models of inflator bottles. I laughed when she asked "if I had any of those bombs." In that case, I was forewarned about US Air, and left my gas bottle on the boat for the owner to mail to me after returning to New England, so my answer was "no." More recently, I have left the bottle on the boat, and picked it up when the boat returned, but that would be less convenient if the boat's homeport was farther from my home.

I just checked the Southwest Airline website and haven't found any reference to PFD inflator cartridges.

#79 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,014 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

I never had a problem with my PFD on American.

Ok, its only fair to warn you to not open that link in your office.

#80 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

This thread prompted me to check with Cape Air about an upcoming flight. They do not allow CO2

#81 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Southwest lady said "no"
And the best:

Flew Southwestern last year from Seattle to Providence, with my Spinlock Deckvest + 2 spare cylinders + a copy of the TSA regs + a copy of SW's rules as carry on (and I called SW who said no problem).
No problem at all except the idiot TSA control freak in Seattle who said " I am the one that decides and the rules have changed".
I said "here is a copy printed off your own website yesterday"
His reply " I am not responsible for what goes on the website. We have out orders and I'm telling you , you can't take it"
Me: " can I get a copy of those orders?"
Him " No they are confidential"
me " How can we comply if they are secret ? Can I see you manager please" Another TSA person standing by raised his eyebrows as if supporting the idea that this guy's a control freak.
He comes back with no manager, but begrudgingly says "you can go"

No problem anywhere coming back.

I have another SA'er as witness to this bizarre event who also had a PFD..

#82 vouz etes ici

vouz etes ici

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

So quick question: do you have to take out the cylinder or can you leave it armed and ready? I'm getting conflicting information. I have a Deckvest with the Hammar hydrostatic sensor and can't disconnect the cylinder.

#83 vouz etes ici

vouz etes ici

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Southwest lady said "no"
And the best:

I'm about to travel AirTran so we'll see... here is a link to their policy which says its OK. Ignore the 1st page and go to the second page under life jacket... http://www.airtran.c...erous_goods.pdf

#84 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,214 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

I tried to fly Jet Blue (with my cartridge removed and on the top of my clothes in my checked baggage) back in January and they said "hell no!" to any CO2 cartridges - even though the TSA says it's okay. Not in your carry on or checked luggage. Flyer beware!

Had to buy a new cartridge when I got to where I was going.

#85 lahtris

lahtris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

Take it in carry-on, not checked. The only people who screen carry-on are TSA. TSA rules say you may have two cylinders in the vests and two spares. Obviously this only applies to domestic US travel.

#86 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

I took a Spinlock to Asia, spoke to the check in girl showed her it and the website. She said all good. Luggage Checked in no worries
Next thing I know my name is called over the PA, the plane is delayed and they escorted me down to the luggage loading bay behind the counters to open my bag and show them what it was.. Dam X-Ray machines.

#87 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

Best suggestion!

#88 vouz etes ici

vouz etes ici

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

Southwest lady said "no"
And the best:

I'm about to travel AirTran so we'll see... here is a link to their policy which says its OK. Ignore the 1st page and go to the second page under life jacket... http://www.airtran.c...erous_goods.pdf

Was very glad I printed out out these documents for AirTran. If you fly them, make sure you have that with you. TSA was no problem... they just had no idea what it was.
No need to disconnect the CO2 cylinder, I just had to unpack it and show them how it worked.

#89 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Was very glad I printed out out these documents for AirTran. If you fly them, make sure you have that with you. TSA was no problem... they just had no idea what it was.
No need to disconnect the CO2 cylinder, I just had to unpack it and show them how it worked.

Yeah, every time I tried to travel with my pfd I had a printout from the website. It never mattered. No go.
Also, the airline (specifically the pilot) has the right to approve or deny - but you will never get him to come and talk to you. At best TSA might call *someone* - who is busy, doesn't care, and will just say no.

Another story - for years I traveled with a small took kit, a zipper bag about the size of a laptop. (I did cause & origin inspections etc.) Most of my trips were one or two days so I usually only had a carry on and the tool kit was always in it. Then one day - no go. I demanded a supervisor, explained that not only had I traveled with this for years, but only that very morning I flew here with it. He wouldn't allow it on the plane. I really needed to catch my flight, had no time to check my bag (flight was boarding as we spoke!) so I had to let them take it. I was pissed! I've never found another kit as good as that one.

My point is, every single time they may or may not make a predictable call.

#90 NaptownChick

NaptownChick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

Could you post a link to SW's website where they say they are permitted? That would help me a ton, I can't find the clause.

Southwest lady said "no"
And the best:

Flew Southwestern last year from Seattle to Providence, with my Spinlock Deckvest + 2 spare cylinders + a copy of the TSA regs + a copy of SW's rules as carry on (and I called SW who said no problem).
No problem at all except the idiot TSA control freak in Seattle who said " I am the one that decides and the rules have changed".
I said "here is a copy printed off your own website yesterday"
His reply " I am not responsible for what goes on the website. We have out orders and I'm telling you , you can't take it"
Me: " can I get a copy of those orders?"
Him " No they are confidential"
me " How can we comply if they are secret ? Can I see you manager please" Another TSA person standing by raised his eyebrows as if supporting the idea that this guy's a control freak.
He comes back with no manager, but begrudgingly says "you can go"

No problem anywhere coming back.

I have another SA'er as witness to this bizarre event who also had a PFD..

#91 morewind

morewind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Bring a copy of the TSAbrochure that allows them. . .I flew with one in February in checked luggage and had no problems. . .until a few weeks ago when I got a nasty letter from TSA that I MAY have traveled with an illegal compressed gas cylinder in my checked luggage and that I was violating federal law. I was pissed and sent TSA back their own brochure which shows I was legal. I am probably on some watch list now. Actually I was probably on some watch list before.

#92 Elegua

Elegua

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:35 AM

I've found that I need to print out both the airline and TSA rules and put them in my luggage to avoid major hassles. However, at lest twice I've gotten hassled that I also needed to have the rules of the regional airline subcontracted by the mainline airline.

So, even if you've booked United, you can still get rejected by Colvin or Mesa or whatever other POS airline they've subcontracted to.

OT but what about flying with a sextant carry-on? I've done it from France to China, but the French knew what a Sextant was. I am worried about getting to the US this Summer with my baby in one piece.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users