#1 MattZ

MattZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Stiletto 23

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:27 PM

I've seen Mike and Dave's boat a couple times when they've brought it here, it's certainly a beauty and goes like a rocket. And they're a couple of real nice guys taking time to talk to a stranger wandering around while they're getting ready for a race.
Along the lines of a previous post saying advancements made on this boat help everyone, I have a trivial question: The non-skid used is some sort of vinyl looking material. It looks great and feels good, I assume it works well or it wouldn't be there. It may be more common than I know, but I haven't seen it before.

What is this material, and can it be put on any boat? Is it something you could do yourself, or would you have to get someone like an upholsterer to do it?
Thanks

#2 samc99us

samc99us

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

This material is also standard on the new Infusions, Tigers and Falcon. I'm not 100% sure what it is; applying it to existing boats should be possible to some extent but the new boats have it molded in to the deck during the layup, prevents it from peeling off.

#3 F18 VB

F18 VB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

I added some to my F18. I think it is EVA foam. I purchased it from Hydro-Turf and glued it on.

#4 MattZ

MattZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:22 PM

This material is also standard on the new Infusions, Tigers and Falcon. I'm not 100% sure what it is; applying it to existing boats should be possible to some extent but the new boats have it molded in to the deck during the layup, prevents it from peeling off.

Thanks. I was wondering if there was a ridge molded into the hull to keep the edges from peeling. Didn't want to pick at it to figure it out, probably would have worn out my welcome.

#5 Surf City Racing

Surf City Racing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:26 PM

I think Sam meant to say "standard on the Wildcat" not the Tiger.

#6 MattZ

MattZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

I added some to my F18. I think it is EVA foam. I purchased it from Hydro-Turf and glued it on.

I googled EVA foam and didn't find anything that looked like this stuff. It has a leather texture to it, like naugahyde, but must be made to withstand harsh environments.
Sam mentioned it's probably molded into the hull which makes sense since the material wasn't appreciably higher than the hull at the edges.

#7 F18 VB

F18 VB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:46 PM

I googled EVA foam and didn't find anything that looked like this stuff. It has a leather texture to it, like naugahyde, but must be made to withstand harsh environments.
Sam mentioned it's probably molded into the hull which makes sense since the material wasn't appreciably higher than the hull at the edges.

Like nay plastic, EVA foam can be molded to any texture. The Hydro-Turf stuff works great. It is tough, UV resistant, and waterproof. It is what jetskis and some surf boards use for foot pads.

#8 samc99us

samc99us

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:49 PM

Hydro Turf sounds good. And yes, I meant Wildcat.

#9 glowmaster

glowmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Trimarans, Windsurfing, SUP.
    The ultimate trifecta.

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:06 AM

You can get smaller sheets here www.northshoreinc.com or http://www.northshor...6&idproduct=188 $7.50/sq ft.

We have been using this stuff for decades on sailboards and I use it now as traction on my F/24 Works awesome.

not affiliated with them.

I cut it with a picture frame matte cutter to get a beveled edge.

ed

#10 old guy

old guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

Does it stay attached pretty well?

#11 F-18 5150

F-18 5150

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:47 PM

I think Sam meant to say "standard on the Wildcat" not the Tiger.

New Tigers have it also on the edge of the hulls. Look at the olympic selection pics.

Welcome back.

#12 ULTIMATESAILS

ULTIMATESAILS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

I've bought the PRO GRIP from an Italian Contender builder (Bonezzisailing)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users